PDA

View Full Version : Chicagoland Sports Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony Sept. 24,09

#1swisher
09-03-2009, 05:10 PM
www.chicagolandsportshalloffame.com
or Howie Fagan 708.780.3679
Sept 24, 2009
6pm
Hawthorne Race Course
Tickets $125 each or $1,250 for a table of 10
Proceeds to Benefit - National Multiple Sclerosis and Standing Tall Charitable Foundation

2009 Inductees
- Ozzie Guillen
- Kurt Becker
- Ron Kittle
- Greg Luzinski
- Tony Carey
- Pat Fitzgerald
- John McDonough
- Bob Miller
- George Perles
- John Register
- Jack McHugh
- Christina Loukas
- Peter Rodriquez
- George Randazzo
- Tom Mitchell
- John Collins
- Eugene Lenti
- Leah Poulos Mueller
- Ed Kelly
- Andy McKenna
- Dan Hampton
- Roy Williams

TDog
09-08-2009, 04:18 PM
www.chicagolandsportshalloffame.com (http://www.chicagolandsportshalloffame.com/)
or Howie Fagan 708.780.3679
Sept 24, 2009
6pm
Hawthorne Race Course
Tickets $125 each or $1,250 for a table of 10
Proceeds to Benefit - National Multiple Sclerosis and Standing Tall Charitable Foundation

2009 Inductees
- Ozzie Guillen
- Kurt Becker
- Ron Kittle
- Greg Luzinski
- Tony Carey
- Pat Fitzgerald
- John McDonough
- Bob Miller
- George Perles
- John Register
- Jack McHugh
- Christina Loukas
- Peter Rodriquez
- George Randazzo
- Tom Mitchell
- John Collins
- Eugene Lenti
- Leah Poulos Mueller
- Ed Kelly
- Andy McKenna
- Dan Hampton
- Roy Williams

I've heard of Guillen, Kittle and Luzinski. I can't believe the Bob Miller on the list is the Bob Miller (one of two Bob Millers to pitch for the 120-loss, expansion 1962 Mets) who came over to the White Sox in the middle of the 1970 season.

soltrain21
09-08-2009, 04:26 PM
I've heard of Guillen, Kittle and Luzinski. I can't believe the Bob Miller on the list is the Bob Miller (one of two Bob Millers to pitch for the 120-loss, expansion 1962 Mets) who came over to the White Sox in the middle of the 1970 season.

I'm sure you know Pat Fitzgerald, too.

salty99
09-08-2009, 04:52 PM
and Dan Hampton

WhiteSox1989
09-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Good to see Ozzie and Fitzgerald on there.

TDog
09-08-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm sure you know Pat Fitzgerald, too.

I've been to Ireland. I've met a few Pat Fitzgeralds. I can't think of any who would be involved with Chicagoland sports.

If Fitzgerald and Dan Hampton are involved in Chicago sports broadcasting, though, I would be oblivious to their accomplishments, having been insulated from Chicago media for most of my life.

soltrain21
09-08-2009, 06:11 PM
I've been to Ireland. I've met a few Pat Fitzgeralds. I can't think of any who would be involved with Chicagoland sports.

If Fitzgerald and Dan Hampton are involved in Chicago sports broadcasting, though, I would be oblivious to their accomplishments, having been insulated from Chicago media for most of my life.

Linebacker for the Rose Bowl Northwestern Wildcats. Now is their coach.

Lip Man 1
09-08-2009, 06:28 PM
There were actually three Bob Miller's who made the big leagues. I think this Bob Miller is the one from Chicago who has done a lot of charity work for Chicago Baseball Cancer Charities with Billy Pierce. He pitched I want to say for the Dodgers and Reds.

Lip

TDog
09-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Linebacker for the Rose Bowl Northwestern Wildcats. Now is their coach.

That explains why I had never heard of him.

sullythered
09-08-2009, 07:18 PM

You really don't know who Dan Hampton is? I'm not making fun, it's just kind of a shock that anyone here doesn't know who he is.

gobears1987
09-08-2009, 08:19 PM

Dan Hampton is in the NFL Hall of Fame. I think that makes him more than qualified for the Chicago Sports HoF. I'm assuming from your answer that you just don't follow football. It's acceptable. I'm sure there are some football fans who look at that list and ask themselves "Who the hell is Ron Kittle?"

Just an FYI, Danimal was on the Bears from 1979-1990. He was a 4 time Pro Bowler, on the NFL's all-decade team for the 1980s, 6 time All-Pro, and one time defensive player of the year in the NFL. He was a huge part of the Superbowl team.

TDog
09-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Dan Hampton is in the NFL Hall of Fame. I think that makes him more than qualified for the Chicago Sports HoF. I'm assuming from your answer that you just don't follow football. It's acceptable. I'm sure there are some football fans who look at that list and ask themselves "Who the hell is Ron Kittle?"

Just an FYI, Danimal was on the Bears from 1979-1990. He was a 4 time Pro Bowler, on the NFL's all-decade team for the 1980s, 6 time All-Pro, and one time defensive player of the year in the NFL. He was a huge part of the Superbowl team.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who have never heard of Hampton or Kittle. I was at a used-book sale in San Francisco a couple of years ago and found Kittle's book in the how-to section, so the person in charge of sorting the books in that section likely knew nothing of Ron Kittle. I didn't see Hampton's book there, but I don't know if he has ever written one.

If Hampton is in the Professional Football Hall of Fame (although there are a lot of people in football hall of fame that people who aren't avid football fans have never heard of), he isn't one of the obscure people on the list. College football players have even less name recognition. (I didn't even know Northwestern went to a Rose Bowl.) I have no idea who Danimal is, and I didn't see him on the list. I would guess there are a lot of people on that list that most people outside of the Chicago area have never heard of.

Brian26
09-08-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm sure there are a lot of people who have never heard of Hampton or Kittle. I was at a used-book sale in San Francisco a couple of years ago and found Kittle's book in the how-to section, so the person in charge of sorting the books in that section likely knew nothing of Ron Kittle. I didn't see Hampton's book there, but I don't know if he has ever written one.

If Hampton is in the Professional Football Hall of Fame (although there are a lot of people in football hall of fame that people who aren't avid football fans have never heard of), he isn't one of the obscure people on the list. College football players have even less name recognition. (I didn't even know Northwestern went to a Rose Bowl.) I have no idea who Danimal is, and I didn't see him on the list. I would guess there are a lot of people on that list that most people outside of the Chicago area have never heard of.

There are plenty of people on that list that people from the Chicago area have never heard of.

On the other hand, if you're claiming to not know who Dan Hampton is or that NU has been to two Rose Bowls in that past 15 years, then you should come out of the cave you've been hiding in.

MUsoxfan
09-08-2009, 11:03 PM
400 people in inducted so far. Seems like a very exclusive list

TDog
09-17-2009, 01:09 PM
There are plenty of people on that list that people from the Chicago area have never heard of.

On the other hand, if you're claiming to not know who Dan Hampton is or that NU has been to two Rose Bowls in that past 15 years, then you should come out of the cave you've been hiding in.

I know that Indiana went to a Rose Bowl in the 1960s only because I went to Indiana in the 1970s and the Rose Bowl appearance in the previous decade was still talked about. Someone probably would have told me if IU had been to one since, but unless it's Indiana or a local university, there is no reason I would know who is playing the Rose Bowl. (I was a sideline photographer at IU basketball games but today I have no idea who coaches the team.) When I was a teenager, the son of a single parent, my mother had a date with a man who seemed a little arrogant. I was depressed at the time because I was cut from my high school baseball team and he told me to keep working at it, and I could accomplish things. He showed me his driver's license. I asked him what his point was, and he told me he played for the Bears. He seemed a bit insulted that I had never heard of him. I don't remember his name.

Most of the people I associate with ignore football. (Ask them for the time or how they enjoyed reading Gravity's Rainbow. Don't ask them who is playing in the Rose Bowl.) Many ignore baseball. They couldn't name any current football players who haven't been charged with felony crimes. When I was an editor at a suburban Milwaukee newspaper, the only member of the Green Bay Packers I could identify was Mike Chmura, and only after he was arrested in our circulation area.

David Frishberg wrote and recorded Van Lingle Mungo, a song with lyrics consisting of the names of baseball players from the 1930s, '40s and '50s. (In 1971 it was played on the White Sox radio postgame show.) He said he gets requests for the songs although many of his fans thinks he "is singing Portuguese." I asked Garrett Morris once about his operatic training and his musical work, and he has an entire group of fans who aren't even aware he was on Saturday Night Live.

It isn't a matter of crawling out of a cave. It is a matter of placing priorities on the things you pay attention to in your life. Many think sports isn't worth paying attention to. I am one of many who ignores football.

Of course, the point of a Hall of Fame is to perpetuate the community memory of a person's accomplishments, even pointing out such accomplishments to people whose names are unfamiliar. In a Chicagoland sports hall of fame, I would expect to see outstanding high school athletes who never had any further accomplishments.

MarySwiss
09-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Like others, I am surprised that people don't know who Dan Hampton is. But I think the "Who Is Dan Hampton?" discussion kind of underlines how far removed we are in time from the 1985 Super Bears. (BTW, for those who don't know, Kurt Becker was also on that team.)

I sort of understand what TDog is saying, though; people not from Chicago don't necessarily recognize names that are very familiar to those of us who are.

I recall an incident that took place shortly after we moved to Arizona. I was in a store wearing my Second City 30th Anniversary T-Shirt, and the checkout person asked me what "Second City" was! I still cringe at my response, which was "Are you kidding?" She wasn't, and once I realized that, I got down off my high horse and explained it to her and named some names. She knew the names; she had just never heard of Second City.

PatK
09-17-2009, 04:01 PM
John McDonough?

I can see athletes or broadcasters, but non-GM executives?

Railsplitter
09-17-2009, 04:11 PM
How long has this Chicagoland Sport HoF been around?