PDA

View Full Version : Real Nice Read About Billy Pierce

doublem23
09-03-2009, 01:13 PM
from the Chicago Reader...

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/almost-perfect-the-difference-between-a-mark-buehrle-and-a-billy-pierce-one-out/Content?oid=1188821

Lip Man 1
09-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Double:

Terrific story. Great find. Am printing a copy to send to Billy...many thanks.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
09-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Listened to that game on my transistor radio under my pillow as I did for most Sox night games back then. What a heartbreaker for Billy who after Nellie was my favorite player.

Lip Man 1
09-03-2009, 06:25 PM
June 27, 1958 - He came so close to perfection. Sox left hander Billy Pierce fired four one hitters in his brilliant career, but he never came closer then on this night to baseball immortality. With two out in the 9th inning, Pierce lost a perfect game as the Senators Ed Fitz Gerald doubled down the first base line. The hit was fair by a foot. The crowd at Comiskey Park stared in disbelief. The Sox win 3 - 0 but Pierce never comes closer to pitching a masterpiece. Another historical oddity… Fitz Gerald’s father was an important businessman in Milwaukee, including the shipping industry. Years later a ship would be named after him. The name of the ship? The Edmund Fitz Gerald. (Cue the song from Gordon Lightfoot!)

Lip

LITTLE NELL
09-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Billy also pitched an amazing game in Baltimore in 59. Billy went 16 innings in an 18 inning 1-1 tie called by curfew. Listened to that one too on my transistor.
Could you imagine anyone going 16 innings in this day and age.

slavko
09-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Billy also pitched an amazing game in Baltimore in 59. Billy went 16 innings in an 18 inning 1-1 tie called by curfew. Listened to that one too on my transistor.
Could you imagine anyone going 16 innings in this day and age.

You have a great memory. You jogged my early childhood memory about Saul Rogovin who did something similar, but I think he lost the game in about the 15th(?). This made me check baseball-reference.com where I saw he had 22 starts in 1951 and completed 17 of them. He had a similar year in 1952. Of course his arm was shot by 1953 and he was traded away and out of baseball a couple years after.

Maybe that's why there are so few complete games now. Or maybe we've lost our Yankee toughness and turned to sissies.

Lip Man 1
09-04-2009, 12:01 AM
Here you go:

July 12, 1951 - Sox starter Saul Rogovin throws 16 innings against the Red Sox in the second game of a double header at Comiskey Park. He strikes out fourteen but Boston wins 5 - 4 in seventeen.

August 6, 1959 - The third and final marathon game of the 1959 season. The Sox battled the Orioles in Baltimore and played for 18 innings before curfew stopped the night game tied at one all. The game lasted only four hours. The most significant item to come out of it...the incredible performance by the Sox starter Billy Pierce. Pierce pitches sixteen innings! Let me repeat that...sixteen innings allowing one run on eleven hits.

Lip

SI1020
09-04-2009, 01:39 PM
We went to the doubleheader on May 10, 1959. The Sox swept Cleveland, as Billy Pierce gutted out a 11 inning 5-4 win in the first game. I wonder what his pitch count was that day? In the nitecap Early Wynn shut out the Tribe 5-0. Bubba Phillips was the hitting hero. I have lots of Billy Pierce memories. One of them is being in 4th grade when the Sox played the Dodgers in the World Series and wondering when Billy was finally going to get a start. I'm still wondering. When I finally got a chance to meet Billy Pierce in the late 90's I found him to be intelligent, quick witted and personable. He told me how satisfying it was to him to get another chance with the Giants in 62. He shut out the Dodgers and Koufax in the first game of a tie breaking playoff, and came in and got the save in the 3rd game clincher. Playoff really isn't the proper term because in those days the games were considered tie breakers and part of the regular season. In the World Series Billy lost a tough one to Bill Stafford and the Yanks in game #3, and with his team's back to the wall won a three hit 5-2 victory over another Hall of Famer Whitey Ford in game 6. Speaking of the Baseball Hall of Fame, they've lost all credibility with me due to the shabby vote totals given to Billy Pierce and Minnie Minoso. I could say lots more. Billy had an electric presence on the mound, and such a fluid near perfect pitching motion. He was clutch, and his record although good, does not truly reflect how good he really was.

gobears1987
09-04-2009, 01:43 PM
June 27, 1958 - He came so close to perfection. Sox left hander Billy Pierce fired four one hitters in his brilliant career, but he never came closer then on this night to baseball immortality. With two out in the 9th inning, Pierce lost a perfect game as the Senators Ed Fitz Gerald doubled down the first base line. The hit was fair by a foot. The crowd at Comiskey Park stared in disbelief. The Sox win 3 - 0 but Pierce never comes closer to pitching a masterpiece. Another historical oddity… Fitz Gerald’s father was an important businessman in Milwaukee, including the shipping industry. Years later a ship would be named after him. The name of the ship? The Edmund Fitz Gerald. (Cue the song from Gordon Lightfoot!)

Lip

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down, on the big lake they call Gitchee Gumi...

Paulwny
09-04-2009, 01:50 PM
A few days after the near perfect game I either read or heard that Lollar had gone to the mound and asked Pierce to throw a brush back pitch to Fitz Gerald to back him off the plate. He refused.
If this is true, who knows how it may have turned out if Billy did throw the pitch.

soxrme
09-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Listened to that game with my father. We were cheering on every pitch. I will never forget it. Billy did a lot to get Nellie into the HOF, I wish someone would do the same for him. He was one of the best of his time, pitching in many all-star games when they actually meant something to the players. I still am pissed he didn't start a game in the 59 world series (not that I carry grudges long)

ewokpelts
09-04-2009, 07:47 PM
loved the dig at Milt "I'm a crybaby" Pappas.

Fenway
09-07-2009, 07:45 AM
http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/almost-perfect-the-difference-between-a-mark-buehrle-and-a-billy-pierce-one-out/Content?oid=1188821