PDA

View Full Version : Best Sox Managers

LITTLE NELL
09-03-2009, 06:29 AM
Since 1950
Al Lopez-----Hall of famer, never a losing season.
Paul Richards---Brought Go-Go to the Southside
Tony LaRussa---Should have won it all in 83
Ozzie----Will never forget 05
Gene Lamont---Division in 93 and 94
Chuck Tanner--Brought us back from the one of the lowest points in franchise history

Honorable Mention: Jerry Manuel, Eddie Stanky and Jeff Torborg

MODS: Please move to Sox Clubhouse

Moses_Scurry
09-03-2009, 06:36 AM
1. Ozzie -- World Championship = #1 in my book, despite my disagreeing with some of his decisions.

2. Lopez -- I wasn't born yet, so I can only go on his pennant

3. La Russa -- more for what he did after the Sox than with the Sox

4. Torborg -- The '90 team was my favorite team until '05 came along. A bunch of nobodies (at the time) that ended up winning 94 games! I was upset when Torborg left

That's as far as I'm going to rank them. I never was a big fan of LaMont or Manuel. I always thought they underachieved. La Russa was the manager when I started following the Sox, so I can't rank the guys before him (other than Lopez).

FielderJones
09-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Honorable Mention:

Fielder Jones - first White Sox championship, extra sweet because it was over the Cubs
Pants Rowland - second White Sox championship, best season in franchise history

kitekrazy
09-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Outside of the Sox kingdom Ozzy is considered a good manager.

TomBradley72
09-03-2009, 10:05 AM
I've been a fan since 1971:

The Good:

Ozzie Guillen
Tony LaRussa
Chuck Tanner (for 1971-72)
Jeff Torborg (for 1990)
Bob Lemon (for 1977)
The Bad:

Jerry Manuel
Gene Lamont
Paul Richards
Don Kessinger
The Ugly:

Terry Bevington
The Inconsequential:

Jim Fregosi
Larry Doby

Lip Man 1
09-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Al Lopez still is the best... period.

In his first full time stint he had nine winning seasons, never failed to finish out of the first division (remember it was one league then kiddies...), had five seasons with at least 90 wins and won a pennant.

His players played hard (or they didn't play), executed solid fundamentals (or they didn't play) and he had great consistent pitching.

I'd take that today and say thank you, sir.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
09-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Al Lopez still is the best... period.

In his first full time stint he had nine winning seasons, never failed to finish out of the first division (remember it was one league then kiddies...), had five seasons with at least 90 wins and won a pennant.

His players played hard (or they didn't play), executed solid fundamentals (or they didn't play) and he had great consistent pitching.

I'd take that today and say thank you, sir.

Lip
He was my pick too as #1, he was also the best handler of pitchers I ever saw. Having been a catcher and Ray Berres at his side didn't hurt either.

TomBradley72
09-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Of the "Top 20" White Sox seasons all time by winning percentage (which is all of their 90+ win seasons + 1994):

Al Lopez- 5
Pants Rowland- 2
Kid Gleason-2
Fielder Jones- 2
Gene Lemont-2
Ozzie Guillen- 1
Clark Griffith- 1
Tony LaRussa-1
Paul Richards-1
Marty Marion-1
Jerry Manual-1
Jeff Torborg-1

Hitmen77
09-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Of the "Top 20" White Sox seasons all time by winning percentage (which is all of their 90+ win seasons + 1994):

Al Lopez- 5
Pants Rowland- 2
Kid Gleason-2
Fielder Jones- 2
Gene Lemont-2
Ozzie Guillen- 1
Clark Griffith- 1
Tony LaRussa-1
Paul Richards-1
Marty Marion-1
Jerry Manual-1
Jeff Torborg-1

Ozzie has two 90+ win seasons. We won 90 games in 2006.

Brian26
09-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Jeff Torborg is the best Sox manager I've seen in my lifetime.

Tragg
09-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Since 1950

Gene Lamont---Division in 93 and 94

The Sox won despite Lamont. Torborg was much better here.

asindc
09-03-2009, 12:45 PM
The Sox won despite Lamont. Torborg was much better here.

Agreed. I always thought '93 might have turned out differently if Torborg had stayed. I read an interview a few years back in which he expressed some regret for not staying. Family had persuaded him to go home to NY and take the Mets job.

PaleHoser
09-03-2009, 12:49 PM
I think Jeff Torborg was very underrated. He certainly knew how to handle young pitching, and I think the Sox won 20+ games in their last at-bat in 90 and 91. IMO, that's a testament to good game management.

Lip Man 1
09-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Torborg was a very good handler of players his teams believed in him.

There is disagreement on why he left, some say it was because of his ailing mother that he went back to New York...others say he was basically told by ownership, 'take the job with the Mets or will fire you.' I've been told some in the front office were VERY upset supposedly with the way he handled Bobby Thigpen.

I've interviewed some of the pitchers on his teams and all had good things to say about they way he used them, they blame Bobby himself for what happened to him.

There is a chance that he is going to be a future interview. I hope so. I'd love to speak to him, any guy who caught no hitters from both Koufax and Ryan works for me.

Lip

TomBradley72
09-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Torborg was a very good handler of players his teams believed in him.

There is disagreement on why he left, some say it was because of his ailing mother that he went back to New York...others say he was basically told by ownership, 'take the job with the Mets or will fire you.' I've been told some in the front office were VERY upset supposedly with the way he handled Bobby Thigpen.

I've interviewed some of the pitchers on his teams and all had good things to say about they way he used them, they blame Bobby himself for what happened to him.

There is a chance that he is going to be a future interview. I hope so. I'd love to speak to him, any guy who caught no hitters from both Koufax and Ryan works for me.

Lip

That '91 team went through (I think) a horrific streak at one point losing 15 of 16 in August or something like that...that seemed to be the end of Torborg. I was very disappointed....those 1990-91 teams had as much fight as any White Sox team I can remember...then he was replaced by Sleepy Gene Lemont...yuck.

tstrike2000
09-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Jeff Torborg is the best Sox manager I've seen in my lifetime.

For what Torborg did with that '90 94-68 team was almost miraculous when you look at the roster.

nsolo
09-03-2009, 05:25 PM
That '91 team went through (I think) a horrific streak at one point losing 15 of 16 in August or something like that...that seemed to be the end of Torborg. I was very disappointed....those 1990-91 teams had as much fight as any White Sox team I can remember...then he was replaced by Sleepy Gene Lemont...yuck.
You stole my thunder when you mentioned "fight". The 90-91 teams I loved to watch because they never gave up.

Come to think of it, they were the prianha of their time. Always coming at you with One Dog on point.

Daver
09-03-2009, 05:59 PM
I never could stand Tony LaRussa and his control freak approach to managing.

In my memory the best was Torborg.

eastchicagosoxfan
09-03-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm a Torborg fan too. He really got the kids to play.

Zisk77
09-03-2009, 06:32 PM
I loved Torborg too. R.I.P Ivan Calderon.

Tragg
09-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Agreed. I always thought '93 might have turned out differently if Torborg had stayed. I read an interview a few years back in which he expressed some regret for not staying. Family had persuaded him to go home to NY and take the Mets job.
And until I read this post, I thought that the Sox canned him for some reason; assumed that it was for the same sort of reason that the Bulls canned Doug Collins, whatever that was.

I didn't like Lamont at all.

Zisk77
09-03-2009, 08:25 PM
And until I read this post, I thought that the Sox canned him for some reason; assumed that it was for the same sort of reason that the Bulls canned Doug Collins, whatever that was.

I didn't like Lamont at all.

IIRC Jeff's daughter was graduating hs and attending a college out east and he wanted to be closer to her.

RedPinStripes
09-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Since 1950

Tony LaRussa---Should have won it all in 83

I don't know about that one. Sox had great pitching, but the O's rotation was ridiculous. I don't like to admit it as the 83 season broke my heart as a kid, but the O's were the best team in baseball that year.

Brian26
09-03-2009, 09:13 PM
I don't know about that one. Sox had great pitching, but the O's rotation was ridiculous. I don't like to admit it as the 83 season broke my heart as a kid, but the O's were the best team in baseball that year.

The Sox rotation was far and away better than the Orioles that year. Just comparing the top three guys (Hoyt, Dotson and Bannister) vs. McGregor, Flanagan and Boddicker, it wasn't even close. H-D-B went 42-5 after the all-star break.

Tragg
09-03-2009, 09:18 PM
They were probably a little better. But we lost game 4 in extras - had it gone our way, we have LaMarr for game 5 and we win the WS.
I look back on our lineup and I wonder how that bunch won 99. But our starting pitching was awesome.

RedPinStripes
09-03-2009, 09:37 PM
The Sox rotation was far and away better than the Orioles that year. Just comparing the top three guys (Hoyt, Dotson and Bannister) vs. McGregor, Flanagan and Boddicker, it wasn't even close. H-D-B went 42-5 after the all-star break.

Jim Palmer?

Brian26
09-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Jim Palmer?

He was winding down his career by then. He was the 5th starter and pitched out of the bullpen sometimes.

RedPinStripes
09-03-2009, 10:14 PM
He was winding down his career by then. He was the 5th starter and pitched out of the bullpen sometimes.

I don't remember that. Was he the 5th? Even with Palmer not being the dominant guy he was in the late 70's, that's a hell of a rotation if he's # 5. Could be where I remember him kicking ass in 83 . From the bullpen.

I do remember him trying to make a comeback with the White Sox years back. Not sure what year it was , but I do remember it was a joke.

chisoxfanatic
09-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Most honorable mention: Terry Bevington

RedPinStripes
09-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Most honorable mention: Terry Bevington

"Bozo"!

LITTLE NELL
09-04-2009, 05:23 AM
They were probably a little better. But we lost game 4 in extras - had it gone our way, we have LaMarr for game 5 and we win the WS.
I look back on our lineup and I wonder how that bunch won 99. But our starting pitching was awesome.
That bunch in 83 in my estimation was as good a Sox team that we have had. ROY Kittle in left, Rudy Law in CF with 77 stolen bases, Clutch Baines in RF, HOFamer Fisk catching, Bull Luzinski at DH. Wimpy and Walker at 1B, Cruz at 2B, Vance Law was adequate at 3b, SS with Fletcher and Dibber was our weak spot.
The pitching was outstanding. I still say we were the best team in 83, but sometimes the best team does not win a short series and thats what happened.

RedPinStripes
09-04-2009, 05:28 AM
Good point. The Sox offense was probably better that year. A lot of people say that winning that division by 20 games didn't help them at all in the playoffs.

soxfan1965
09-04-2009, 06:20 AM
I've lived through Al Lopez and the close but no cigar seasons of the sixties and agree he was an excellent manager for the era. Chuck Tanner brought a positive spin after the awful 1970 season and handled Dick Allen well (some disagree of course). The real test of a manager is how he does when the team slumps and keeps them positive. Ozzie has done this. I enjoy Ozzie, he's entertaining, speaks his mind, but I admire how he handles his players. When Iguchi was struggling Ozzie called him his MVP. When Linebrink struggled and Ozzie had to move him out of setup role, he handled that well without putting down Linebrink. Ozzie is managing in the free-agent era, with budgets, egos, envy to juggle, and you would think only sterile, politically correct managers would survive. I once asked Bill Melton how he survived the 1970 season and he said it was before free agent era and you just packed it in and said 'see ya' next year and hope for the better. I can see why JR likes Ozzie. I like the way Ozzie tries to get everyone into the game if possible, even the struggling Rios yesterday, and he wisely put Wise in to start. When you saw Ozzie go to the mound at Wrigley yesterday with his young Carlos Torres, it said it all when he padded him on the chest, encouraged all his players at the mound, and left Torres in the game.