PDA

View Full Version : Brady Shoemaker

veeter
09-02-2009, 11:04 AM
This kid was tearing up A ball for the Bristol Sox. Why do they jump him all the way to Charlotte? It seems like a strange move.

voodoochile
09-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Bristol's season is over. Charlotte is still playing for another week. Maybe it's just to keep giving him bats. He's a college graduate so he's probably more advanced than most Bristol players and maybe they wanted to give him a chance to see some tougher pitchers and continue to get AB. Minor league equivalent of a September call up would be my guess.

DirtySox
09-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Bristol's season is over. Charlotte is still playing for another week. Maybe it's just to keep giving him bats. He's a college graduate so he's probably more advanced than most Bristol players and maybe they wanted to give him a chance to see some tougher pitchers and continue to get AB. Minor league equivalent of a September call up would be my guess.

Pretty much. And since September callups were yesterday most AAA teams needed warm bodies to fill out their rosters.

DirtySox
09-02-2009, 11:15 AM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=6312

Blurb about Shoemaker.

veeter
09-02-2009, 11:22 AM
What the heck is a "now-body"?

DirtySox
09-02-2009, 11:45 AM

I was wondering the same thing when I read it yesterday.

NLaloosh
09-02-2009, 12:10 PM
My guess from reading it is that they don't think that he has a lot of upside or room for growth.

He's pretty much where he's at and he's going to have to continue to hit the snot out of the ball to get anywhere because he isn't going to get much help from growing into his body or developing his raw tools etc.

That's why he was drafted where he was but he might continue to hit, as Sandberg said.

veeter
09-02-2009, 12:28 PM
My guess from reading it is that they don't think that he has a lot of upside or room for growth.

He's pretty much where he's at and he's going to have to continue to hit the snot out of the ball to get anywhere because he isn't going to get much help from growing into his body or developing his raw tools etc.

That's why he was drafted where he was but he might continue to hit, as Sandberg said.What a stupid concept. G. Beckham had a now-body, then. People can get stronger without roids also.

PalehosePlanet
09-02-2009, 05:30 PM

It means that he will not get taller and they don't forsee him filling-out; that his body is maxed out.

This is more important when evaluating high school kids at ages 17 and 18 and trying to project their height/strength, etc...then 22 year olds.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Shoemaker went 1-4 with a double today for Charlotte.

NLaloosh
09-03-2009, 10:01 AM
What a stupid concept. G. Beckham had a now-body, then. People can get stronger without roids also.

It's not stupid. But, it's not always accurate either.

It's easier to see a 20 year old kid that's 6'4" and weighs 185 and then say I'm pretty sure he'll have more power in 4 years when he weighs 215.

However, even is Shoemaker doesn't gain any size or strength he might just be a really good hitter. It's possible.