PDA

View Full Version : The 'other' Evil Empire

Fenway
09-02-2009, 03:27 AM
This weekend Red Sox Nation invades The Cell

I think many of you will agree with this writer who compares Red Sox fans to followers of the Grateful Dead

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2009/09/02/the_other_evil_empire/

doublem23
09-02-2009, 08:16 AM
It's cute when Red Sox fans think they're on equal footing with the Yankees.

kittle42
09-02-2009, 09:12 AM
It's cute when Red Sox fans think they're on equal footing with the Yankees.

It really is. I mean, Yankee fans - you just can't argue with them. They are the most successful franchise in the history of baseball.

I look at what Red Sox fans have become over the past 6 years and shudder to think what would happen if the Cubs ever won it all.

Viva Medias B's
09-02-2009, 09:33 AM
It really is. I mean, Yankee fans - you just can't argue with them. They are the most successful franchise in the history of baseball.

I look at what Red Sox fans have become over the past 6 years and shudder to think what would happen if the Cubs ever won it all.

After the Red Sox won their first modern title in 2004, I spotted Yankee fans wearing shirts pointing out the difference between the number of titles the Yankees won versus the Red Sox.

Fenway
09-02-2009, 09:39 AM
I am still upset that some punk stole my Red Sox hat off my head at the Fullerton CTA stop yesterday and ran onto a Brown Line train.....

I blame the internet for this as the Red Sox popularity worldwide didn't start until the net came along.

tebman
09-02-2009, 09:41 AM
We're going to the game on Saturday. I'm bracing for a bad day because of the embarrassing way the White Sox are playing and because of all the crypto-Wrigley people I expect to see wearing Red Sox garments.

The Yankees have traveling fans too, and I've sat near some of them over the years. My experience has always been that they are knowledgeable baseball fans who obviously enjoy the Yankees' winning history but are also realistic in any given game. Talking baseball with them has always been interesting.

The Red Sox have been blessed/cursed with a swarm of bandwagon-jumpers whose resemblance to frat-boy Cub fans is eerie. I don't know what the dynamics are in Boston but it sure seems like there are a lot of them who could be honorary members of the Lincoln Park Trixie Society. The ones I've encountered are of the "your team sucks" variety, and not the kind of folks you'd choose to talk baseball with.

I feel for guys like Fenway who's been a Red Sox fan his whole life, being crowded out by these poseurs. I've got an old friend who's been a legitimate Cub fan his whole life and hasn't been to a home game in ten years because of what it's turned into. We can all hope that this fashion will one day pass away.

:praying:

SOXPHILE
09-02-2009, 10:42 AM
We're going to the game on Saturday. I'm bracing for a bad day because of the embarrassing way the White Sox are playing and because of all the crypto-Wrigley people I expect to see wearing Red Sox garments.

The Yankees have traveling fans too, and I've sat near some of them over the years. My experience has always been that they are knowledgeable baseball fans who obviously enjoy the Yankees' winning history but are also realistic in any given game. Talking baseball with them has always been interesting.

The Red Sox have been blessed/cursed with a swarm of bandwagon-jumpers whose resemblance to frat-boy Cub fans is eerie. I don't know what the dynamics are in Boston but it sure seems like there are a lot of them who could be honorary members of the Lincoln Park Trixie Society. The ones I've encountered are of the "your team sucks" variety, and not the kind of folks you'd choose to talk baseball with.

I feel for guys like Fenway who's been a Red Sox fan his whole life, being crowded out by these poseurs. I've got an old friend who's been a legitimate Cub fan his whole life and hasn't been to a home game in ten years because of what it's turned into. We can all hope that this fashion will one day pass away.

:praying:

Agreed 100%. I'm going to the game Saturday too as part of a bachelor party, and while looking forward to the game itself, I'm sorta dreading and bracing myself for all the Red Sox assclown-ery. It's still amazing to me how many of these Cubs fans..errr..I mean "Cubs Game Fans" are mysteriously all Red Sox fans too, and there's been a lot more of them it seems in the past 5 - 6 years. Oh, by the way, real Red Sox fans don't "return the love" to the Chads & Trixies. They couldn't give a rats ass about the Cubs, don't think the Cubs are their NL brothers, and laugh when told how so many Cubs Game Fans seem to think Boston and the Cubs are somehow, some way, magically linked.

veeter
09-02-2009, 10:48 AM

I look at what Red Sox fans have become over the past 6 years and shudder to think what would happen if the Cubs ever won it all.My family and I were in Boston in July, and toured Fenway park. The tour guide kept giving a Yankee fan grief throughout the thing. As we were moving I said to the fan, you gotta love getting **** when your team has won 26 championships. He just smiled and said he was used to it.

Fenway
09-02-2009, 11:01 AM
I have a simple test to see if someone is a legit Red Sox fan

1-4-6-8-9-14-27

I will even let somebody slide if the don't know the answer to 1 and 4 but otherwise

Chicago does have a lot of legit Red Sox fans. There are 2 major Red Sox bars on the Northside (Tripoli Tap and Brendan's) and the fans that go there for NESN all have a legit New England connection.

veeter
09-02-2009, 11:02 AM
I have a simple test to see if someone is a legit Red Sox fan

1-4-6-8-9-14-27

I will even let somebody slide if the don't know the answer to 1 and 4 but otherwise

Chicago does have a lot of legit Red Sox fans. There are 2 major Red Sox bars on the Northside (Tripoli Tap and Brendan's) and the fans that go there for NESN all have a legit New England connection.The 1, 4, and 6 are the hard ones.

Gavin
09-02-2009, 11:09 AM

I think many of you will agree with this writer who compares Red Sox fans to followers of the Grateful Dead

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2009/09/02/the_other_evil_empire/

The red line to the game on these days is nauseating... Red Sox fans from the suburbs think it's so cute! to use public transportation :tongue::wink::tongue::wink:

Fenway
09-02-2009, 11:42 AM
1 is Bobby Doerr the oldest living Hall of Famer

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1065345/index.htm

He was last at Fenway 2 years ago for his last visit as he simply can not travel from Oregon anymore. But he still watches NESN every game and raves about Ellsbury

4 is Joe Cronin who is in the HoF because Yawkey demanded it. Good hitter but a horrific fielder who the manager refused to bench. Cronin was the manager

6 is Johnny Pesky who while not a Hall of Famer has been Mr Red Sox and has served as a player, manager, scout and broadcaster. He is really a nice man and when Dan Duquette tried to ban him from Fenway the players revolted.

Whappeh
09-02-2009, 12:06 PM
The only time I was ever at a home White Sox game was the Red Sox game that Jose hurt him self on the first baseline.

VenturaFan23
09-02-2009, 01:12 PM
I blame the internet for this as the Red Sox popularity worldwide didn't start until the net came along.

Yeah and I'm sure the espn lovefest didn't have anything to do with it either :rolleyes:

oeo
09-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Have the Red Sox sent a thank you card to Jose Contreras yet, for turning around their season? :whiner:

cards press box
09-02-2009, 05:49 PM
After the Red Sox won their first modern title in 2004, I spotted Yankee fans wearing shirts pointing out the difference between the number of titles the Yankees won versus the Red Sox.

I've seen those shirts, too. Some Yankee fans do this all the time and, I'm sorry, it's lame. From the attitude of such Yankee fans, you would think they were playing 2B next to Phil Rizzuto and later Tony Kubek during the dynasty years.

One of these days I'm going to tell some Yankee fan wearing one of those shirts that Derek Jeter has (and will always have) more in common with the 25th man on the Washington Nationals than he does with you, your Yankee championship t-shirt notwithstanding.

DumpJerry
09-02-2009, 06:08 PM
For years now, I have told people Red Sox fans are like Dead Heads-following their team to every city.

If you see a Red Sox "fan" this weekend with a brand new Red Sox Jersey and/or hat, talk to them. Listen to the fact that they actually have the letter "r" in their speech. Ask them where they're from. The response will be somewhere in Illinois. Ask them in a hushed tone "you're a Cub fan?" and they can't help themselves as they admit it.

Yankee fans are totally cool. They are very loyal to their team, know their team as well as some hard core WSIers know the White Sox. They are not homers in your home. It also helps that their color is Navy Blue and not Red, so it does not feel like they are laying siege on your park. I tell my non Chicago friends that the only two teams whose fan bases are really annoying are the Red Sox and Tigers. The Red Sox fans make you feel like a visitor in your own park. I explain Cub fans aren't too bad because if they start to get annoying, just say "how 'bout them Bears?" and we're buddies.

If you find an old time Red Sox fan, it is possible to have a normal conversation. They are just as disgusted by the bandwagon people as we are. They also laugh at Cub fans who try to bond with them. The Red Sox have now won two titles this century while the Cubs, well, the Cubs are who they are.....

I'll be at the game on Monday, I was able to sell off the other three games.

DumpJerry
09-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Speaking of idiot Red Sox fans, I was in the bleachers at the Sunday Yankees/Sox game when they Yanks were here last month. This guy in the next section was wearing a Red Sox hat and Red Sox tee shirt would stand up every time the Yanks took the field to hold up a Curt Schilling jersey. I did not see any Yankee outfielders look at his jersey and start to cry like a baby out of fear.......

I don't know if he realized that he had no friends in the stands to back him up in case someone got pissed.......

DSpivack
09-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Yankee fans are totally cool. They are very loyal to their team, know their team as well as some hard core WSIers know the White Sox. They are not homers in your home. It also helps that their color is Navy Blue and not Red, so it does not feel like they are laying siege on your park. I tell my non Chicago friends that the only two teams whose fan bases are really annoying are the Red Sox and Tigers. The Red Sox fans make you feel like a visitor in your own park. I explain Cub fans aren't too bad because if they start to get annoying, just say "how 'bout them Bears?" and we're buddies.

I was at a Yankees-Mariners game in the [family, no alcohol] bleachers Memorial Day 2008. Maybe it because of the section we were sitting in, but the fans around me all seemed to be nice NYers with great accents, knowledgeable, and supportive. There were a couple young women from Seattle, they gave them some good-natured ribbing, but also just asked them if they were enjoying NY, about Seattle, etc.

chisoxfanatic
09-02-2009, 08:27 PM
I noticed a considerably smaller amount of Yankee fans here than in years past. Perhaps the same will apply this weekend with the Red Sox?

The games aren't even sold out yet!

bigsoxfan420
09-02-2009, 09:53 PM

How dare he. The Grateful Dead were fantastic, and the Red Sox are loathsome.

DumpJerry
09-02-2009, 10:10 PM
I noticed a considerably smaller amount of Yankee fans here than in years past. Perhaps the same will apply this weekend with the Red Sox?

The games aren't even sold out yet!
I'm pretty sure the economy played a role in this. None of my tickets for this weekend sold on Stubhub. In fact, there were very few sales in my section (115). Last year, it did not seem as bad as previous years which surprised me since last year they were the defending World Series winners.

Fenway
09-02-2009, 11:25 PM
For years now, I have told people Red Sox fans are like Dead Heads-following their team to every city.

If you see a Red Sox "fan" this weekend with a brand new Red Sox Jersey and/or hat, talk to them. Listen to the fact that they actually have the letter "r" in their speech. Ask them where they're from. The response will be somewhere in Illinois. Ask them in a hushed tone "you're a Cub fan?" and they can't help themselves as they admit it.

If you find an old time Red Sox fan, it is possible to have a normal conversation. They are just as disgusted by the bandwagon people as we are. They also laugh at Cub fans who try to bond with them. The Red Sox have now won two titles this century while the Cubs, well, the Cubs are who they are.....

I'll be at the game on Monday, I was able to sell off the other three games.

Hopefully you put me in the old time Boston catagory :)

TommyJohn
09-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Fenway is a great poster whom I'd like to meet and talk baseball with sometime, but I must admit to a loathing of Red Sox "Nation." They have done something I never thought possible-they turned me into a Yankee fan. I will be pulling for New York in the playoffs this year and every year against them. Nothing personal, Fens.

It all started with their ****ty attitude and treatment of Bill Buckner, followed by the constant yapping about 1978 and October 2, the Day The Earth Stood Still. Then came the year-long, Nationally-hyped by ESPN Pity Party following Aaron Boone's joining the list of the Greatest Enemies In the History of Mankind, along with Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Buckner and Dent. There's only so much a person could take. I was happy when they won in 2004, because I thought it would get better. Alas....

I know not every Red Sox fan hates Bill Buckner, but the ones who do are such damn obnoxious, self-pitying jerks about it. The latest was Allan Barra, who has written a book about sports arguments. In one chapter, he calls the 1986 Mets "overrated." He presents solid arguments, but then goes and says "and if Bill Buckner had fielded a batting practice grounder, the Red Sox win the series." For the umpteenth time, the game was tied 5-5....tied 5-5 when the error happened. But boy, didn't it feel SO GOOD to get in yet another cheap shot at Buckner, a guy who doesn't deserve it. **** you, you mother****ing piece of ****, and **** your ****ing book.

And that, in a nutshell, is why I cannot stand "Red Sox Nation" and the Red Sox. Sorry, Fens.

beasly213
09-03-2009, 09:20 AM
It's true, I can't stand these "new" Red Sox fans. What I've noticed to be the biggest difference is if say the Yankees or even the Cubs are at US Cellular and their team scores a run their fans stand up and cheer towards the field.

Meanwhile with the Red Sox if they score those fans not only cheer at the field but back at White Sox fans. Pointing saying "HOW BOUT THAT!" or something along those lines.

I also will be rooting for the Yankees should they play the Red Sox this year. There were a lot of Yankees fans at US Cellular this year when I went to the games and all of them we're respectful and cool as far as I could tell.

Also, as far as I'm concerned the 2004 and 2007 World Series titles don't count because the Red Sox had two known cheaters in Ortiz and Ramierez who were huge parts of that team.

skobabe8
09-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Most annoying home series of the year.

DumpJerry
09-03-2009, 10:20 AM
It's true, I can't stand these "new" Red Sox fans. What I've noticed to be the biggest difference is if say the Yankees or even the Cubs are at US Cellular and their team scores a run their fans stand up and cheer towards the field.

Meanwhile with the Red Sox if they score those fans not only cheer at the field but back at White Sox fans. Pointing saying "HOW BOUT THAT!" or something along those lines.

I also will be rooting for the Yankees should they play the Red Sox this year. There were a lot of Yankees fans at US Cellular this year when I went to the games and all of them we're respectful and cool as far as I could tell.

Also, as far as I'm concerned the 2004 and 2007 World Series titles don't count because the Red Sox had two known cheaters in Ortiz and Ramierez who were huge parts of that team.
I was at my gym last night getting ready for Spring Training. They had ESPN on one of the televisions which was showing the Rays/Red Sox game in St. Pete.

The Red Sox were up and down something like 5-1. One of their guys got a single which advanced a runner (but did not score). They then showed three Red Sox fans in the stands standing up high fiving each other and otherwise blocking the view of the people around them. You'd think they just won the World Series. I felt like going through the television and clocking those asswipes.

Don't be a homer in someone else's home.

chisoxfanatic
09-03-2009, 10:21 AM
But then they'll give you the argument that all teams who have won the World Series had cheaters.

Last time I checked, Ortiz and Ramirez were the two main guys on those teams (we'll call them 1a and 1b). I doubt you'd find that on any other team who can say this. I think I recall guys like maybe Carl Everett on the list that has circulated the Internet, but he only got in a couple at bats and didn't have much impact on our World Series.

There is a difference between having primary and secondary (and even tertiary) players messing with substances.

Oblong
09-03-2009, 10:37 AM
And what kills me about the Buckner thing is..... Calvin Schiraldi! How the heck does this guy escpae the wrath the way he did? With 2 outs. Single, Single, Wild pitch..... tie game. He also gave up the lead in the 8th.

DumpJerry
09-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Fenway is a great poster whom I'd like to meet and talk baseball with sometime, but I must admit to a loathing of Red Sox "Nation." They have done something I never thought possible-they turned me into a Yankee fan. I will be pulling for New York in the playoffs this year and every year against them. Nothing personal, Fens.

It all started with their ****ty attitude and treatment of Bill Buckner, followed by the constant yapping about 1978 and October 2, the Day The Earth Stood Still. Then came the year-long, Nationally-hyped by ESPN Pity Party following Aaron Boone's joining the list of the Greatest Enemies In the History of Mankind, along with Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Buckner and Dent. There's only so much a person could take. I was happy when they won in 2004, because I thought it would get better. Alas....

I know not every Red Sox fan hates Bill Buckner, but the ones who do are such damn obnoxious, self-pitying jerks about it. The latest was Allan Barra, who has written a book about sports arguments. In one chapter, he calls the 1986 Mets "overrated." He presents solid arguments, but then goes and says "and if Bill Buckner had fielded a batting practice grounder, the Red Sox win the series." For the umpteenth time, the game was tied 5-5....tied 5-5 when the error happened. But boy, didn't it feel SO GOOD to get in yet another cheap shot at Buckner, a guy who doesn't deserve it. **** you, you mother****ing piece of ****, and **** your ****ing book.

And that, in a nutshell, is why I cannot stand "Red Sox Nation" and the Red Sox. Sorry, Fens.
One thing the whiners overlook is that the Buckner error came in Game 6! They still had a chance to win the whole thing in Game 7, it did not give the Mets the Trophy.

Just like Cub fans who whine that the Bartman incident cost them the NL Pennant. That, too, was in Game 6, there was still Game 7 to win.

Iwritecode
09-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Just like Cub fans who whine that the Bartman incident cost them the NL Pennant. That, too, was in Game 6, there was still Game 7 to win.

Well that and Alex Gonzalez muffing the easy double-play right after the Bartman incident.

doublem23
09-03-2009, 12:15 PM

Well, it ain't over till its over (as the Sox proved yesterday), but I can't fathom how the Marlins would have come back had Alou made that catch.

DumpJerry
09-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Well, it ain't over till its over (as the Sox proved yesterday), but I can't fathom how the Marlins would have come back had Alou made that catch.
Alou himself later admitted he would not have made the catch.

Foulke You
09-03-2009, 01:06 PM

I understand the point you are making about Red Sox fans but I've seen that type of behavior from both Yankees and especially Cubs fans in our park. It wasn't as horrible this year with Yankees fans at The Cell (probably because the Sox were pounding lumps on them and they had nothing to cheer about) but in the past, they've been pretty insufferable too. Cubs fans spend most of their time with their backs to the field as they stand up and get in your face whenever something positive happens for their team. My Brewers fan friend has identified this trait as the single biggest difference between us and Cubs fans when visiting Milwaukee.

fram40
09-03-2009, 01:25 PM
But then they'll give you the argument that all teams who have won the World Series had cheaters.

Last time I checked, Ortiz and Ramirez were the two main guys on those teams (we'll call them 1a and 1b). I doubt you'd find that on any other team who can say this. I think I recall guys like maybe Carl Everett on the list that has circulated the Internet, but he only got in a couple at bats and didn't have much impact on our World Series.

There is a difference between having primary and secondary (and even tertiary) players messing with substances.

ever read the Sports Guy's take on the Roid Sox?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090507&sportCat=mlb

This from a notorious Boston apologist.

ChiSoxGirl
09-03-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm pretty sure the economy played a role in this. None of my tickets for this weekend sold on Stubhub. In fact, there were very few sales in my section (115). Last year, it did not seem as bad as previous years which surprised me since last year they were the defending World Series winners.

This is one of the reasons I've decided to go this year- I'll be at Sunday's game. Well, that and the fact that I haven't been to a game since July 21! :o:

MARTINMVP
09-03-2009, 06:02 PM
I was at the Thursday night White Sox and Yankees game at the end of July. A very low scoring game and the Sox won it in the bottom of the 9th. Stadium was half Yankee fans, and the ones that were around me were at least cool.

Last weekend though, I was on the New York Yankees fan message board (NYYFans.com, I believe) and there was a thread with all the fans whining about ESPN's Red Sox bias. That got annoying fast.

DumpJerry
09-03-2009, 06:23 PM
I was at the Thursday night White Sox and Yankees game at the end of July. A very low scoring game and the Sox won it in the bottom of the 9th. Stadium was half Yankee fans, and the ones that were around me were at least cool.

Last weekend though, I was on the New York Yankees fan message board (NYYFans.com, I believe) and there was a thread with all the fans whining about ESPN's Red Sox bias. That got annoying fast.
Hmmm.......I had a Yankee fan complain about the same thing to me recently. I pointed out that ESPN was equally biased for the Red Sox and Yankees. He thought about it and admitted I was right.

RadioheadRocks
09-03-2009, 06:45 PM

And we have Ben Affleck and J-Lo to thank for that :rolleyes:

MARTINMVP
09-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Something I have to get off my chest. For as much hate that this thread has about Red Sox fans, and for all the hate there is about Cub fans, I sometimes am embarrassed to be associated with White Sox fans.

It seems like that White Sox fans feel pissed off about their team being second-fiddle, so the only way they can feel good is by believing that fans of the other team are idiots. To me, Sox fans care way too much about the Cubs and Cub fans. Just like how you say how "Fenway" must have how his team has a lot of "idiot" fans, I hate how most of the White Sox fan base is obsessed with the Cubs.

I'm not hating on the people who post here, I just wish that we didn't have to talk about the Cubs... I wish I didn't have to hear about them. I don't hate them... I just don't care about them. Why do we have to talk bad about them to make ourselves feel better? That's what it seems to me, White Sox fans do. I think we're better than that.

Madscout
09-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Something I have to get off my chest. For as much hate that this thread has about Red Sox fans, and for all the hate there is about Cub fans, I sometimes am embarrassed to be associated with White Sox fans.

It seems like that White Sox fans feel pissed off about their team being second-fiddle, so the only way they can feel good is by believing that fans of the other team are idiots. To me, Sox fans care way too much about the Cubs and Cub fans. Just like how you say how "Fenway" must have how his team has a lot of "idiot" fans, I hate how most of the White Sox fan base is obsessed with the Cubs.

I'm not hating on the people who post here, I just wish that we didn't have to talk about the Cubs... I wish I didn't have to hear about them. I don't hate them... I just don't care about them. Why do we have to talk bad about them to make ourselves feel better? That's what it seems to me, White Sox fans do. I think we're better than that.
There is a saying in politics, that if you care about an issue then the next thing you should care about is how the media covers it. The media have the power to frame an issue, a person, an organization any way they please. If they repeat it enough, it becomes true in many people's minds.

This Sox team gets put second fiddle not because anything the fans do or don't do, but because the media at home paints them as the second team in this city, paints them as a pack of cheaters, paints them as playing in the bad parts of town and being a blue collar team, and paints their fans as being fair weather fans while the fans of the other team in town as the greatest in the world. Not everyone will believe them, but a majority will. That hurts us because fewer fans want to come to our park, and indeed fewer people want to become fans of our team. That hurts our revenue which hurts our team's ability to go out and get players.

This Sox team gets put second fiddle because the national media believes that there only a few teams in baseball that should get coverage. Their players get more face time and name time on thier shows. Their games get put on national networks first and the announcers of those games know who they are and know about thier players. This draws more fans to those francises, and I don't care how much revenue sharing you have, it doesn't even things out, and you have the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. When was the last time that the Yankees or the Red Sox had a problem filling a hole in thier lineup? When was the last time the Dodgers couldn't go out an spend on a free agent if they wanted him. How about the Rays? The Nationals?

You may hear fans whining about this, and you have a right to complain, but think about what some of this bull does to our team, our teams credibility, our fanbase, and our team's ability to compete.

Madscout
09-06-2009, 06:31 PM
ever read the Sports Guy's take on the Roid Sox?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090507&sportCat=mlb

This from a notorious Boston apologist.
Makes me wonder if we had any in 05.

TommyJohn
09-06-2009, 08:25 PM
, and for all the hate there is about Cub fans, I sometimes am embarrassed to be associated with White Sox fans.

I find this posting of yours very interesting....you are embarrassed to be associated with White Sox fans? Why is that? You feel that most White Sox fans are obsessed with the Cubs? You think that "we" are better than that? Well, who do you mean by "we"? Are you including yourself? Because if you are, I find THIS very interesting:

First of all, I am a Cubs fan.

But I will be honest and say I Dave Wills is really good at what he does and even I will miss his work. I will still listen to the White Sox because I love baseball. And his postgame shows were great and kept a Cubs fan like me into it.

Having said that... Carmen would be a great choice for all of you.

I'd be willing to bet that PD Len Weiner is in turmoil here... obviously Carmen is the perfect choice for White Sox pre/post game duties... but at the same time, it seems like he will get the 9a-noon show with Silvy.

Should be interesting in the next month what the station decides.

Posted by you on 3/6/05. Yes, I understand now why most of "us" embarrass you, you White Sox "fan." I understand now why you are asking "why do we have to talk bad about them just to make us feel better." Just something you had to get off your chest, right?

EDIT: I do see that you say you are now "apathetic" to the Cubs and trying to convert a Sox fan, but still. It seems that your post is from the POV of a lifelong fan, not a recent convert from the other side.

kittle42
09-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Because if you are, I find THIS very interesting:

Well done, TommyJohn!

JB98
09-06-2009, 10:16 PM
The red line to the game on these days is nauseating... Red Sox fans from the suburbs think it's so cute! to use public transportation :tongue::wink::tongue::wink:

It was funny today: We were walking back to the Red Line after today's loss, being serenaded by chants of "Let's Go Red Sox!" by the Cubs fans disguised as Red Sox fans. I said to my friend, "Let's take the Green Line back downtown." He agreed, and once we crossed the 35th Street bridge over the Ryan walking east, I didn't see another Red Sox fan the rest of the day.

You're right: The Red Line is nauseating when the Sox play Boston.

ChiSoxGirl
09-06-2009, 10:20 PM
The ballpark was loaded with tools this afternoon. :rolleyes: I detest Red Sox fans/Cub fans in disguise... whatever they are. They infiltrate our ballpark and are so pompous and arrogant; they have this complex like their God's gift to baseball fans. It's not like their team has won 26 world championships; you can count their world championships on one hand! I've seen the Sox in four opposing ballparks- Anaheim, Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Tampa- and have never gone into any of those ballparks like I own the place, nor have I been a jerk.

PKalltheway
09-06-2009, 11:52 PM
The ballpark was loaded with tools this afternoon. :rolleyes: I detest Red Sox fans/Cub fans in disguise... whatever they are. They infiltrate our ballpark and are so pompous and arrogant; they have this complex like their God's gift to baseball fans. It's not like their team has won 26 world championships; you can count their world championships on one hand! I've seen the Sox in four opposing ballparks- Anaheim, Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Tampa- and have never gone into any of those ballparks like I own the place, nor have I been a jerk.
Even if you were Antonio Alfonseca, you couldn't count the Red Sox's titles on one hand. They have won 7 championships. I get what you're saying, though.

ChiSoxGirl
09-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Even if you were Antonio Alfonseca, you couldn't count the Red Sox's titles on one hand. They have won 7 championships. I get what you're saying, though.

OMG, do they have that many?!?! :redface: I feel like such a dork right now. This is why I post rather infrequently... I want to avoid making myself look and sound stupid. I really AM intelligent...!

chisoxfanatic
09-07-2009, 12:17 AM
OMG, do they have that many?!?! :redface: I feel like such a dork right now. This is why I post rather infrequently... I want to avoid making myself look and sound stupid. I really AM intelligent...!
Don't worry, Jen...You really were right, since we can technically put an asterisk next to their 2004 and 2007 titles due to the whole fiasco with Manny and Papi. So, in reality, they only have five!

PKalltheway
09-07-2009, 12:20 AM
Don't feel bad! We all make mistakes!:redneck

ChiSoxGirl
09-07-2009, 12:41 AM
Don't worry, Jen...You really were right, since we can technically put an asterisk next to their 2004 and 2007 titles due to the whole fiasco with Manny and Papi. So, in reality, they only have five!

Don't feel bad! We all make mistakes!:redneck

I totally thought they only had a handful of world championships... like four or maybe five; I had no clue 2007 was their seventh! :redface:

MARTINMVP
09-07-2009, 05:40 PM
I don't want to pick a fight TommyJohn...

I've grown to hate the aura of the Cubs... the ivy, Ron Santo, marketing themselves off of losing and the curse, bleeding Cubbie blue -- all of which disgusts me.

I go about my day and I don't think about the ball club. I aura of the team, I hate, but I don't have an undying hatred for the team. I just prefer to not watch them or talk about them.

Despite some of the moron Cub fans, I believe the majority of them simply don't care about the White Sox. I hate seeing Sox fans put so much energy against the Cubs. Their thoughts are better at loving their own team, a team that is worth thinking about (okay, so maybe this season sucks and such, but you know what I mean).

Again, I'm not looking to pick a fight. I'm not telling anyone to stop hating the Cubs, obviously -- I only wish that Sox fans didn't think about the Cubs. It only gives the stupid Cub fans a feeling of satisfaction.

The White Sox are a fun team, even if they are frustrating to watch this year. I appreciate that White So fans do not accept mediocrity.

Britt Burns
09-09-2009, 12:05 AM

As a Deadhead, I take exception to that! We were much more well behaved than any group of Red Sox fans.