PDA

View Full Version : Dan Hudson Being Promoted to White Sox

Hitmen77
09-02-2009, 12:03 AM
According to the Newport News Daily Press, starting pitcher Dan Hudson is being promoted from Charlotte.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-now-hudson-promoted.s1,0,424466.story

For those who haven't followed his progress, he was the 2008 5th round draft pick and has made his way through 4 levels in the Sox minor league system this year.
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/Players/H/Dan-Hudson.shtml

BleacherBandit
09-02-2009, 12:37 AM
This is some good news on a cloudy day.

thomas35forever
09-02-2009, 12:42 AM
I like it. I get this could be his pre-audition for the 2010 Sox.

DSpivack
09-02-2009, 01:22 AM
Immediately? Wasn't he scheduled to start for Charlotte this week? If that's the case, then maybe he's starting for the White Sox this week?

JohnTucker0814
09-02-2009, 01:25 AM
Immediately? Wasn't he scheduled to start for Charlotte this week? If that's the case, then maybe he's starting for the White Sox this week?

He started tonight and went 3 innings gave up 1 hit and 5 K's... got pulled mid game to get the call... kinda weird!

I'm glad we will get to see this kid against some major league hitters, he's progressed nicely in the minors, lets see him!

CWSpalehoseCWS
09-02-2009, 01:36 AM
He started tonight and went 3 innings gave up 1 hit and 5 K's... got pulled mid game to get the call... kinda weird!

I'm glad we will get to see this kid against some major league hitters, he's progressed nicely in the minors, lets see him!

Hopefully he does well too. We all could use a little pick-me-up after the way the season has ended.

Konerko05
09-02-2009, 01:37 AM
I hope they keep his innings to a minimum. I'm sure his arm his tired. I doubt he's ever come close to throwing this many innings in one year.

DSpivack
09-02-2009, 01:51 AM

Thanks. That is odd they pulled him during the game; not sure of the point of that.

nasox
09-02-2009, 02:49 AM
Thanks. That is odd they pulled him during the game; not sure of the point of that.

Probably to save his arm.

oeo
09-02-2009, 03:02 AM
I hope they keep his innings to a minimum. I'm sure his arm his tired. I doubt he's ever come close to throwing this many innings in one year.

161.2 innings last year between college and the minor leagues. He should be okay.

Konerko05
09-02-2009, 06:37 AM
161.2 innings last year between college and the minor leagues. He should be okay.

Thank you. I didn't realize he pitched so many innings last season. He does seem to be tiring as the year goes on though. I'd still keep his innings to a minimum.

It's crazy this will be the fifth level he's pitched in this season. That is a wild year.

Dibbs
09-02-2009, 09:36 AM
This will give us a reason to watch at least. The Sox always interest me in the way they handle their prospects.

09-02-2009, 10:20 AM
He will undoubtedly get shelled, whereas clowns like Jeff Manship and Brian Duensing go 6 IP, 1 ER, 4K.

soxfanatlanta
09-02-2009, 10:41 AM
What a year for this guy - I'm happy for him.

Then again, considering how bad things are going lately - I almost feel sorry for him, too.

Hitmen77
09-02-2009, 11:10 AM
This will give us a reason to watch at least. The Sox always interest me in the way they handle their prospects.

I think the Sox are going to use this last month of the season to start auditioning Garcia, Torres, and Hudson for the 2010 5th starter position. IMO, unless all 3 fail miserably this month (and maybe even if they do all fail) there will be no veteran pitcher acquisitions for the 5th spot. Like it or not, the Sox will be betting on these guys next spring.

He will undoubtedly get shelled, whereas clowns like Jeff Manship and Brian Duensing go 6 IP, 1 ER, 4K.

Too bad for Hudson he can't face the White Sox offense for his MLB appearances. We'd be calling him Cy Hudson if that were possible!

Zisk77
09-02-2009, 01:12 PM
I think the Sox are going to use this last month of the season to start auditioning Garcia, Torres, and Hudson for the 2010 5th starter position. IMO, unless all 3 fail miserably this month (and maybe even if they do all fail) there will be no veteran pitcher acquisitions for the 5th spot. Like it or not, the Sox will be betting on these guys next spring.

Too bad for Hudson he can't face the White Sox offense for his MLB appearances. We'd be calling him Cy Hudson if that were possible!

we're going to call him that anyway! :cool:

JermaineDye05
09-02-2009, 06:12 PM
I keep reading in different places that the White Sox have promoted Hudson but I don't see it anywhere on the White Sox website and he's not on the roster yet.

Anyone know when he'll officially be added to the roster?

A. Cavatica
09-02-2009, 08:40 PM

They have the advantage of facing our lineup.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-02-2009, 11:27 PM
I keep reading in different places that the White Sox have promoted Hudson but I don't see it anywhere on the White Sox website and he's not on the roster yet.

He was not on the 40-man roster on September 1, when they announced the first set of callups.

JermaineDye05
09-02-2009, 11:45 PM
He was not on the 40-man roster on September 1, when they announced the first set of callups.

So does that mean he can't be called up? Or is there another date?

Hitmen77
09-03-2009, 12:00 AM
So does that mean he can't be called up? Or is there another date?

I read earlier today that, after adding Flowers, there are 39 men on our 40 man roster. So, there is room to add Hudson to the 40-man.

...I believe Bartolo is still on the 40 man too. He certainly can be dumped if needed.

oeo
09-03-2009, 12:04 AM

Hudson was quoted in that article that he was getting called up, so it has to be true. Maybe they just sent him straight to Chicago?

Metalthrasher442
09-03-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm so excited to see this guy throw. Anyone know or have an educated guess as to when he will make his major league debut?

DumpJerry
09-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Hudson and Nunez both up today.

Hitmen77
09-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Hudson and Nunez both up today.

How did Nunez do in the minors this year? Is he one of our higher rated prospects?

Hitmen77
09-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Hudson was quoted in that article that he was getting called up, so it has to be true. Maybe they just sent him straight to Chicago?

Here's a news clip about him getting the call up to Chicago.....including reaction from Hudson and his parents! Pretty cool. :cool:

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/sports/mlb/sports_wavy_hudson_20090901

DirtySox
09-03-2009, 05:12 PM
How did Nunez do in the minors this year? Is he one of our higher rated prospects?

He had a good year.

70.2 IP, 57 H, 26 BB, 79 K

Has a fastball and a very good slider. He might slot into the pen rather nicely next year.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-03-2009, 05:23 PM
I can't wait to see Hudson pitch. I think he's going to do well and be the fifth st starter next year.

PaleHoser
09-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Here's a link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/transactions.jsp?c_id=cws#month=9&year=2009&team_id=145) showing the transaction a link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090903&content_id=6774268&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws) to an article on whitesox.com referencing both Hudson and Nunez being promoted. Hudson is listed on the active roster, wearing #54.

The Sox 40 man roster is maxed out.

gogosox16
09-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Here's a link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/transactions.jsp?c_id=cws#month=9&year=2009&team_id=145) showing the transaction a link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090903&content_id=6774268&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws) to an article on whitesox.com referencing both Hudson and Nunez being promoted. Hudson is listed on the active roster, wearing #54.

The Sox 40 man roster is maxed out.
He's needs to switch that number, it has the David Aardsma curse to it:tongue:

oeo
09-03-2009, 05:28 PM
I'm so excited to see this guy throw. Anyone know or have an educated guess as to when he will make his major league debut?

Scott Merkin said via Twitter that if the Sox struggle in the next few days, he will start on Sunday.

Waysouthsider
09-03-2009, 05:34 PM
I had heard the same thing today.....I'm pretty excited to get a look at him.....maybe after the last two days if we could get a win tomorrow we might see Peavy?

Hitmen77
09-03-2009, 09:47 PM
I had heard the same thing today.....I'm pretty excited to get a look at him.....maybe after the last two days if we could get a win tomorrow we might see Peavy?

Coop has said he wants Peavy to pitch this year if possible. It sounds like the only thing holding him back now is the line drive to the elbow.

Tragg
09-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Give him some work in the pen.
Better him than Williams, Dotel, Linebrink - did I forget anyone?

GoSox2K3
09-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Here's a news clip about him getting the call up to Chicago.....including reaction from Hudson and his parents! Pretty cool. :cool:

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/sports/mlb/sports_wavy_hudson_20090901

Nice story about him getting the call to the majors in front of family and friends. It sounds like he was already simply looking forward to his homecoming start in Virginia.

I hope he has many more special moments in store for him playing for the White Sox. :cool:

FielderJones
09-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Very nice debut today, with a bit of the jitters hitting his first batter in the foot on a 1-2 count. It looked like he held the ball just a bit too long. Other than that, very nice. 7 up, 6 down.

Since he only pitched 3 innings at Norfolk, I had hoped Ozzie would give him the rare 3-inning save opportunity. Oh well.

hawkjt
09-04-2009, 11:51 PM
I am glad he got Nunez and Hudson in tonite. No pressure, no sweat, now they have a taste, and might just help us out the next month.

gobears1987
09-04-2009, 11:56 PM
Very nice debut today, with a bit of the jitters hitting his first batter in the foot on a 1-2 count. It looked like he held the ball just a bit too long. Other than that, very nice. 7 up, 6 down.

Since he only pitched 3 innings at Norfolk, I had hoped Ozzie would give him the rare 3-inning save opportunity. Oh well.
That would've been nice, but I can see why Ozzie would keep his debut shorter. If there is one thing I've learned over the years it is to not question Ozzie when it comes to young pitchers. He sure knows what he is doing there as has been evidenced by the success of Danks or the many young pitchers who were brought up by other organizations but didn't suceed until joining the Sox. Heck, the success of Garland (who sucked under Manuel) also proves the point as Garland said Ozzie gave him confidence.

CWSpalehoseCWS
09-05-2009, 12:19 AM
I am glad he got Nunez and Hudson in tonite. No pressure, no sweat, now they have a taste, and might just help us out the next month.

Nice to see Flowers behind the plate too for a few innings.

Waysouthsider
09-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Really kept his cool after hitting the leadoff man....he did a nice job....

I agree with all of the above on Ozzie too, except in the case of Poreda who seemed to get thrown to the wolves right after Ozzie said he wasn't going to use him in high stress situations...oh well, no harm, no foul!

hawkjt
09-05-2009, 01:20 AM
Nice to see Flowers behind the plate too for a few innings.

Flowers looks like a monster behind home plate....love those big tough physical catchers like AJ and now Tyler...come and try that crap vs Tyler, Torii....he will send you to the hospital unlike Jamie...:angry: