PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the mitten on Pods hand?

hula
09-01-2009, 07:54 PM
What's up with the mitten Pods was wearing on his left hand while he was on base tonight? I saw it when he stole 2nd in the 3rd inning..... Anyone else see that??? :scratch:

grenda12
09-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Its to protect his hand from being stepped on.

KRS1
09-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Its to protect his hand from being stepped on.

Actually, if you recall his first stint here he had a makeshift one made for him because he jammed his thumb real bad on the bag going in head first and it kept getting messed up every time he would slide. Now it's become a precautionary measure against thumb injuries. There's your answer.

Soxaredabest
09-01-2009, 09:20 PM
You see most players just grip on to their gloves so their fingers don't get jammed up, and this is just a little more safe since he is going to me sliding in head first more often than say Paul Konerko.

What I don't get it why he wears that thing in his back pocket when he is playing the field?

Nellie_Fox
09-01-2009, 11:36 PM
You just noticed it tonight? He always puts it on when he gets on base. He slides head first. I assume it is to help protect him from jamming/breaking fingers on the base or the fielder covering.

SBSoxFan
09-01-2009, 11:40 PM
It looks like a cadaverous hand!

hula
09-02-2009, 09:28 PM
You just noticed it tonight? He always puts it on when he gets on base. He slides head first. I assume it is to help protect him from jamming/breaking fingers on the base or the fielder covering.

Yes, Nellie, I just noticed it. Had I seen it before I would have asked him myself while he was signing my '05 World Series baseball when he was in the dugout @ the Durham Bulls ballpark just before he was called up by the Sox earlier this year...

Thanks everyone for your answers. Really, I just never noticed it.

DumpJerry
09-02-2009, 11:00 PM
I thought it was his own personal tribute to Michael Jackson.

hula
09-03-2009, 09:15 PM
I thought it was his own personal tribute to Michael Jackson.

hee-hee! That's a good one! :D:

hawkjt
09-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Whatever it is, keep wearing it...last five games Pods is hitting .421 and has an on base average of .500.
Now leads the team in on base percentage,and second in hitting at .298....keep it going,Pods..when Pods is hot, this team has a chance.

beasly213
09-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Whatever it is, keep wearing it...last five games Pods is hitting .421 and has an on base average of .500.
Now leads the team in on base percentage,and second in hitting at .298....keep it going,Pods..when Pods is hot, this team has a chance.

Yea but the problem is he gets himself out on the basepaths. I'm not sure why he is such a bad baserunner, but he is.

hawkjt
09-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Yea but the problem is he gets himself out on the basepaths. I'm not sure why he is such a bad baserunner, but he is.

Figgins leads the league in caught stealing and pick offs...but he is a god around here. Pods has had some brain cramps, but many aggressive basestealers have high caught stealing numbers... last time I looked Figgins has been picked off 10 times already...compared to Pods 8. And the other day Pods got caught stealing as Beckham missed the hit and run sign. Yesterday, Pods messed up yet that if he had not gone at all, Sox still do not score in that inning and fans would say he could have made it if he went, which he could have due to Dempsters fumble.

The pickoffs are not good but some of these plays are not all on Pods...and btw, Beckham made an even worse baserunning mistake on that play but no one will mention it. And I like that pods was on base 4 of 5 times yesterday, but no one will mention that either.