PDA

View Full Version : Dear Mark Buehrle

HomeFish
09-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Please stop throwing no hitters. Every time you do it, the team goes into a tailspin shortly thereafter.

BadBobbyJenks
09-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Thank god you used teal, because people actually believe this.

Konerko05
09-01-2009, 05:15 PM
It's weird that Buehrle actually commented on this after his perfect game. He referenced what happened in '07 and said he hoped it didn't happen again.

Well Buehrle, it did. Thanks alot.

TommyJohn
09-01-2009, 05:23 PM
It's weird that Buehrle actually commented on this after his perfect game. He referenced what happened in '07 and said he hoped it didn't happen again.

Well Buehrle, it did. Thanks alot.Yeah, and a billy goat is preventing the Cubs from being in the World Series. I know, because the Tribune comments on it all the time.

MarkZ35
09-01-2009, 06:02 PM
I may believe it having an effect on the team for the few games after but for a whole season is crazy.

chisoxfanatic
09-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Buehrle, not the entire Sox team, has played pretty poorly since that perfect game. The Sox played relatively decently until Contreras bobbled that ball on the infield hit by David Ortiz. That's when the floodgates opened for this team. People are forgetting that we were only a couple games back before that happened.

Konerko05
09-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Yeah, and a billy goat is preventing the Cubs from being in the World Series. I know, because the Tribune comments on it all the time.

We must hire a reverend to sprinkle holy water on Buehrle.

Jurr
09-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Buehrle, not the entire Sox team, has played pretty poorly since that perfect game. The Sox played relatively decently until Contreras bobbled that ball on the infield hit by David Ortiz. That's when the floodgates opened for this team. People are forgetting that we were only a couple games back before that happened.

To be fair, the team was only a couple games back because they hadn't faced the teeth of the schedule yet. To seriously contend, they should have been 5 or 6 games up going into the Boston series. They didn't face a potent schedule to start the year and stunk the joint up. They played decent baseball just long enough to give us some hope that success was attainable. It just wasn't in the cards.

VeeckAsInWreck
09-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Let's blow up DeWayne Wise's glove and the final out ball from the perfect game. :redneck

Soxman219
09-01-2009, 06:46 PM

What about the series wins against the Yankees and Angels?

chisoxfanatic
09-01-2009, 06:53 PM
To be fair, the team was only a couple games back because they hadn't faced the teeth of the schedule yet. To seriously contend, they should have been 5 or 6 games up going into the Boston series. They didn't face a potent schedule to start the year and stunk the joint up. They played decent baseball just long enough to give us some hope that success was attainable. It just wasn't in the cards.
They had that game in their grasp until the Contreras error, and then all hell broke loose.
What about the series wins against the Yankees and Angels?
Those were BEFORE the Contreras incident I speak of, when they were still very much alive in the divisional race.

LoveYourSuit
09-01-2009, 06:58 PM
I would exchange Buehrle's perfect game for a chance to se us in post season this season.

Knowing Mark, I bet he would too.

Boondock Saint
09-01-2009, 07:02 PM
I would exchange Buehrle's perfect game for a chance to se us in post season this season.

I don't agree with you much, but I don't doubt this for one second.

thomas35forever
09-01-2009, 07:31 PM
:threadsucks

doublem23
09-01-2009, 07:58 PM
They had that game in their grasp until the Contreras error, and then all hell broke loose.

If it didn't happen then, it would have happened later.

Lip Man 1
09-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Folks:

No one really believes this and they shouldn't.

It is a baseball oddity pure and simple.

The last three times a Sox pitcher tossed a no hitter the team promptly tanked. 91 and this year were really bad. 07 it took awhile, about 40 games or so, but the Sox had a losing record in that stretch and eventually the bottom fell out.

Lip

SOX ADDICT '73
09-01-2009, 11:58 PM

IF this team had any hope of a world championship were they to somehow make the playoffs, then I agree. These White Sox, even had they gone 8-1 on this Bataan Death March of a road trip instead of 1-8, were not advancing past the first round (and those who like to say, "Once you get in, anything can happen!" are either deluding themselves or haven't been watching this team).

Therefore, I'll keep the perfect game, thank you. I just saw a "one-and-done" last year, and I wouldn't trade a "once-in-a-lifetime" for a repeat performance.

JMO, but World Series Championship > Perfect Game > First-round Exit

ChicagoHoosier
09-02-2009, 08:52 AM
I haven't looked it up, but what is the Sox record since that game? I don't believe MB's no-hitter in 07 or perfect game this year had anything to do with the tailspin, but was just curious.

In 2007, I felt the turn around point also involved Buehrle, but it was the Cubs game at Wrigley where we had the lead with two outs in the 7th. He walked Blanco of all guys, then Ozzie pulled him and Cubs went on to tie or take the lead that inning. This was only May, but Sox were playing okay and then started going downhill.

Rohan
09-02-2009, 09:18 AM
IF this team had any hope of a world championship were they to somehow make the playoffs, then I agree. These White Sox, even had they gone 8-1 on this Bataan Death March of a road trip instead of 1-8, were not advancing past the first round (and those who like to say, "Once you get in, anything can happen!" are either deluding themselves or haven't been watching this team).

Therefore, I'll keep the perfect game, thank you. I just saw a "one-and-done" last year, and I wouldn't trade a "once-in-a-lifetime" for a repeat performance.

JMO, but World Series Championship > Perfect Game > First-round Exit

For us as life long fans, yeah that might be true... But to the organization, a playoff berth is far more valuable than a perfect game.

asindc
09-02-2009, 09:35 AM
For us as life long fans, yeah that might be true... But to the organization, a playoff berth is far more valuable than a perfect game.

It is certainly more valuable to me, given that the Sox have never made the playoffs in consecutive years. Doing so this year would be a milestone. Celebrating a perfect game is special, but reaching new heights as an organization speaks for itself.

kellykid
09-02-2009, 09:43 AM
To quote MB after the perfect game:

"I never thought I'd throw a no-hitter, never thought I'd throw a perfect game and I never thought I'd hit a home run," Buehrle said. "Never say never in this game because crazy stuff can happen."

I'm still hoping some crazy stuff can happen *fingers crossed*

Lip Man 1
09-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Hoosier:

14-24 since that game.

Lip