PDA

View Full Version : 2010 FA OF, who do you want?

Zisk77
09-01-2009, 01:48 PM
2010 FA of who do u want and why? We may have one or 2 openings...2 if Dye goes an TCQ becomes DH.
here's a small sample:

Chone Figgins
Bobby Abreu
Hideki Matsui
Jason Bay
Matt Holiday
Reed Johnson
Carl Crawford (only if option refused) Much more likely to be traded in winter.
Vladimir Guerro

Pear-Zin-Ski
09-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Crawford would be so so so so so so so nice. No reason really, just that its CARL FRIGGIN CRAWFORD. Bat + Glove + Speed = What we're going for, right?

WhiteSox5187
09-01-2009, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Crawford in LF and moving Quentin over to RF. I wouldn't mind seeing Figgins at 3B and moving Beckham over to short and Alexei back to second. But that's about it for position players. What we really need more than anything else is a good fifth starter and the bullpen needs help. A LOT of it.

asindc
09-01-2009, 01:54 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Crawford in LF and moving Quentin over to RF. I wouldn't mind seeing Figgins at 3B and moving Beckham over to short and Alexei back to second. But that's about it for position players. What we really need more than anything else is a good fifth starter and the bullpen needs help. A LOT of it.

What he said.

Zisk77
09-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Crawford would be so so so so so so so nice. No reason really, just that its CARL FRIGGIN CRAWFORD. Bat + Glove + Speed = What we're going for, right?

yes but we would have to give up like flowers, Hudson etc, & then sign him!

Dibbs
09-01-2009, 02:00 PM

This would be perfect.

Jimmy Piersall
09-01-2009, 02:15 PM
This would be perfect.

I'm in,make it happen Kenny !

Lip Man 1
09-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Figgins, Bey or Crawford each would upgrade the talent level and make good contributions in 2010. All bring something different to the mix. It would all depend on what Kenny does before the free agency period opens and if the market as expected is tilted in favor of the buyer again (no guarantees though...)

Lip

aryzner
09-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Of those 3 I'm most interested in Crawford.

Hitmen77
09-01-2009, 02:47 PM
I'll say this much: If the Sox pick up Dye's option then I don't think they are going to sign any free agents. I don't think there will be payroll room left after paying Peavy, Rios, Dye's $12 million, plus the pay raises for those eligible for arbitration.

If they let Dye go, then there may be $$ for a free agent, but will be two holes to fill between OF and DH since we'll only have Rios and Quentin. Another possibility is that they'll decline Dye's option and sign him to a cheaper contract....but I don't know if even this will leave much salary room for a FA acquisition.

If the Sox are going to rely on Podsednik to be in our starting lineup next year, then I think we're in trouble.

The Milkman
09-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Matt Holliday

34 Inch Stick
09-01-2009, 03:19 PM
yes but we would have to give up like flowers, Hudson etc, & then sign him!

What about moving AJ and Getz for Crawford and signing Figgens to play 2B. Give Flowers the starting C job backed up by a legitimate veteran just in case he cannot handle the position.

KMcMahon817
09-01-2009, 03:23 PM
I think alot of people would be a little upset with Figgins offensive output in a corner outfield slot. His offensive numbers are .310/3 HR/47 RBI's. I know that he would more than likely be the leadoff man, assuming that if we sign him, Pods is gone. I just think he is much more suited offensively as an infielder. There are better offensive options out there for the corner outfield slots.

CWSpalehoseCWS
09-01-2009, 03:39 PM
I'd take any one of them except Matsui (unless he's our DH), Johnson, and Vlad. Bay and Holliday will be next to impossible to get though. I think the only real shots we have would be Figgins or Abreu.

kaufsox
09-01-2009, 03:41 PM
An upgrade in the outfield would be nice, but the bullpen seems like priority number 1 right now.

captainclutch24
09-01-2009, 03:48 PM
I would be very content with

CF Crawford
2B Getz
LF TCQ
1B Konerko
C Flowers/AJ
3B Beckham
RF Rios
SS Ramirez
DH Viciedo

TCQ doesnt seem to have the arm you need a RF to have while Rios does. Bay will be back with the Red Sox IMO, and I think the Angels will resign Vlad. If Holliday doesn't resign with St. Louis I could see him going to Boston if Bay is gone, or New York potentially. I doubt we will get crawford or figgins though

kittle42
09-01-2009, 04:19 PM
What about moving AJ and Getz for Crawford and signing Figgens to play 2B. Give Flowers the starting C job backed up by a legitimate veteran just in case he cannot handle the position.

And what exactly do the Rays need with an aging C and a 2B? Yes, Navarro has fallen off this season, but he is still really, really cheap and young. Zobrist and Iwamura at 2B already.

kittle42
09-01-2009, 04:22 PM

CF Crawford
2B Getz
LF TCQ
1B Konerko
C Flowers/AJ
3B Beckham
RF Rios
SS Ramirez
DH Viciedo

TCQ doesnt seem to have the arm you need a RF to have while Rios does. Bay will be back with the Red Sox IMO, and I think the Angels will resign Vlad. If Holliday doesn't resign with St. Louis I could see him going to Boston if Bay is gone, or New York potentially. I doubt we will get crawford or figgins though

That's extremely wishful thinking. A .706 OPS isn't exactly tearing up the Southern League.

KMcMahon817
09-01-2009, 05:02 PM
That's extremely wishful thinking. A .706 OPS isn't exactly tearing up the Southern League.

Replace Viciedo with Dye, at a reduced price, say $5-6 mill. if possible and that'd be fine with this guy.

WhiteSox5187
09-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Replace Viciedo with Dye, at a reduced price, say $5-6 mill. if possible and that'd be fine with this guy.

Viciedo is not ready for the majors, not even close. And as someone else said (I think it was Frater) if we bring back Dye we're not getting anyone mentioned here. And really, that is ok (even though I don't think you can count on Pods to be a good leadoff guy again, but I think Getz could); what we really NEED is a fifth starter (which can be done relatively cheaply) and to improve our bullpen. All other positions are luxury goods as far as I'm concerned.

areilly
09-01-2009, 05:32 PM
An upgrade in the outfield would be nice, but the bullpen seems like priority number 1 right now.

...for the third time in four years. Yikes.

Lip Man 1
09-01-2009, 05:48 PM
You can forget about Holliday, his agent is Scott Boras.

And if the Sox were to get Figgins, Ozzie would rotate him around between CF, 2b and 3b.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
09-02-2009, 12:41 AM
...for the third time in four years. Yikes.Pretty much every team in baseball is constantly retooling their bullpen.

areilly
09-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Pretty much every team in baseball is constantly retooling their bullpen.

I agree, but the outfield upgrade + bullpen rebuild equation seems to be a recurring theme. Not that eternally solid bullpens are easy to build, I'm just saying this is becoming like Groundhog Day.

gr8mexico
09-02-2009, 12:11 PM
CF Chone Figgins
2B Freddy Sanchez
DH TCQ
3B Gordon Beckham
C Flowers/AJ
1B Paul Konerko
RF Alex Rios
SS Alexei Ramirez
LF Jordan Danks

If Jordan cant win the LF spot then you keep Quentin in LF and move
Konerko to the DH spot and let Flowers play 1B.

Rockabilly
09-02-2009, 12:44 PM
1 Gordon Beckham SS
2 AJ C
3 Carlos Beltran CF
4 Paul Konerko DH
5 Carlos Quentin LF
6 Alex Rios RF
7 Adam Laroche 1B ( free agent)
8 Alexei Ramirez 2B
9 Pedro Feliz 3B ( free agent)

I heard on WFAN that the Mets will be looking to trade Beltran this off season. If the Mets agree to pay about 50% of his contract. I would love for him to be our CF next year.

Sockinchisox
09-02-2009, 12:59 PM
LF Scott Podsednik
3B Gordon Beckham
DH Bobby Abreu
RF Carlos Quentin
1B Paul Konerko
C AJ Pierzynski
CF Alex Rios
SS Alexei Ramirez
2B Chris Getz

Gammons Peter
09-02-2009, 01:10 PM

CF Crawford
2B Getz
LF TCQ
1B Konerko
C Flowers/AJ
3B Beckham
RF Rios
SS Ramirez
DH Viciedo

1. Highly doubtful we have the prospects it will take to get Crawford
2. He is not a center fielder
3. He is not a leadoff hitter

Zisk77
09-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Crawford has hit leadoff before and been good. He has additional power to bat lower in the line-up and TB has plenty of guys who can bat leadoff.

kittle42
09-02-2009, 01:58 PM
3. He is not a leadoff hitter

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?n1=crawfca02&year=Career&t=b

What makes him "not a leadoff hitter?" He's done it quite a bit. Yes, his production has been slightly better out of the 2-spot, but he'd be fine leading off.

Craig Grebeck
09-02-2009, 04:47 PM
1 Gordon Beckham SS
2 AJ C
3 Carlos Beltran CF
4 Paul Konerko DH
5 Carlos Quentin LF
6 Alex Rios RF
7 Adam Laroche 1B ( free agent)
8 Alexei Ramirez 2B
9 Pedro Feliz 3B ( free agent)

I heard on WFAN that the Mets will be looking to trade Beltran this off season. If the Mets agree to pay about 50% of his contract. I would love for him to be our CF next year.
Nothing screams "sign me!" quite like Adam LaRoche putting up ungodly numbers for 28 games and using it to command way too much money.

Marqhead
09-02-2009, 05:43 PM
I like how we just acquired a 12 mil/year, above average fielding CF (who has shown in the past he can put up good offensive numbers) after three years of minor leaguer merry go round at the position and now everyone wants him to play RF.

DickAllen72
09-02-2009, 06:05 PM
I like how we just acquired a 12 mil/year, above average fielding CF (who has shown in the past he can put up good offensive numbers) after three years of minor leaguer merry go round at the position and now everyone wants him to play RF.
Thank you.

kittle42
09-02-2009, 06:24 PM

That is pretty laughable, but so are all 2010 lineup ideas in September 2009.

The only thing worse than WSI when the Sox suck is hot stove trade and lineup ideas.

Marqhead
09-02-2009, 06:26 PM
That is pretty laughable, but so are all 2010 lineup ideas in September 2009.

The only thing worse than WSI when the Sox suck is hot stove trade and lineup ideas.

Most people don't want to face the fact that the answers to most of these questions are going to come from within the White Sox organization.

I like to dream as much as the next guy, but come on. The Sox just took on $100 million in payroll, I don't see them making a huge splash in free agency.

Lip Man 1
09-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Marq:

Depends on your definition of "huge" and it depends on how the market goes. If it's like last year, good players at below market price will be available.

Heard from someone in the front office earlier today who said they are convinced Kenny will make moves this off season to turn it around and put the team in good shape for next year.

Doing something like that will also make it more viable for ticket sales and advertisers...we'll see.

Lip

soxfanreggie
09-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Of the people on the list, I don't see us having a shot at most of them. I could see Figgins or Abreu as people I wouldn't mind having.

Madscout
09-02-2009, 09:34 PM
I'll take Crawford, or if we can't sign Dye, Abreu. He has had himself a year over there in LAA.

Bucky F. Dent
09-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Most people don't want to face the fact that the answers to most of these questions are going to come from within the White Sox organization.

I like to dream as much as the next guy, but come on. The Sox just took on $100 million in payroll, I don't see them making a huge splash in free agency.

I tend to agree, but I would like them to find a corner outfielder to replace J.D.

Marqhead
09-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Marq:

Depends on your definition of "huge" and it depends on how the market goes. If it's like last year, good players at below market price will be available.

Heard from someone in the front office earlier today who said they are convinced Kenny will make moves this off season to turn it around and put the team in good shape for next year.

Doing something like that will also make it more viable for ticket sales and advertisers...we'll see.

Lip

What I meant by huge, was something like signing Crawford if the Rays don't pick up his option. He's going to command huge money in a relatively weak FA class.

I really do believe (and hope) that Kenny makes the few small moves we need to make this club better. There aren't many quality free agents out there, but there are a few that could help. The main thing is a 5th starter, not a world beater, but there are several reliable work horses out there who can eat innings and put up a .500 record on a winning team. And of course, another addition to the bullpen is necessary.

I tend to agree, but I would like them to find a corner outfielder to replace J.D.

It would be terrific if they added a corner outfielder. A guy like Bay in the the middle of the order would be excellent, but he'll probably want a long term contract with lots of money at this point. Also, the addition of a corner OF most likely means Getz or Beckham is leading off this year, which I'm not sure if either of them can handle at this point.

Everyone keeps clamoring for Figgins. I'm a fan, and I think with him leading off this club would be much better, but I have no idea what his outfield defense is like.

I'm basing most of this on the assumption that Dye will be back, and either playing RF or DH depending on who else is signed.

Lip Man 1
09-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Marg:

Your assumption is he'd play the outfield. He's also played 2b and is playing Gold Glove caliber defense this year at 3rd.

There would be multiple options on where to play him and Ozzie would use them.

Lip

Marqhead
09-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Marg:

Your assumption is he'd play the outfield. He's also played 2b and is playing Gold Glove caliber defense this year at 3rd.

There would be multiple options on where to play him and Ozzie would use them.

Lip

Correct. I'm also basing this on the assumption that I think Beckham, Alexei and Getz will be filling out the infield. I don't think any of those three are going anywhere. Unless I'm wrong, the only place for him to play is the OF when not giving infield players days off.

If they decided not to move forward with Ramirez or Getz, than I would love to see Figgins at 3rd with Beckham moving to SS, and the remaining player moving to 2nd.