PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Jenks

ms620
09-01-2009, 08:55 AM
He will be a liability next year. He does not strike out enough guys, and he is giving up a lot more hits and home runs this year. Over the last 3 years, his hits/9 has increased from 6.2 in 2007, to 7.4 in 2008, to 8.9 in 2009. A hit per inning for your closer is unacceptable. Joe Nathan's is always around 6 hits/9 innings. And everyone here who says that closers shouldnt pitch in non-save situations, thats BS. It is important for closers to keep games close, (like last night, it would have been nice to get cuddyer out), and pitch well in tie games. Jenks is ok, but he is not nearly as good as he used to be, and I really hope Kenny does not spend money on him that can be used in other places.

stillz
09-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Bobby just isn't as dominant. He's no slouch, but he's prone to getting hit around more it seems.

I'm hoping Thornton gets his shot in 2010. But mostly I just don't want to see Linebrink pitch again. Ever.

hawkjt
09-01-2009, 09:32 AM
He will be a liability next year. He does not strike out enough guys, and he is giving up a lot more hits and home runs this year. Over the last 3 years, his hits/9 has increased from 6.2 in 2007, to 7.4 in 2008, to 8.9 in 2009. A hit per inning for your closer is unacceptable. Joe Nathan's is always around 6 hits/9 innings. And everyone here who says that closers shouldnt pitch in non-save situations, thats BS. It is important for closers to keep games close, (like last night, it would have been nice to get cuddyer out), and pitch well in tie games. Jenks is ok, but he is not nearly as good as he used to be, and I really hope Kenny does not spend money on him that can be used in other places.

yes, lets elevate Linebrink to the closers role...he is getting paid like one anyway. Give me an alternative. Thornton cannot get righthanders out well enough to be the guy.

Boondock Saint
09-01-2009, 09:37 AM
I really wish we didn't have to go over the same stupid **** with these "Bobby isn't good anymore" threads every ****ing year.

ndgt10
09-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Would have liked to dump him 2 years ago when we could have gotten a great return. He's clearly on the decline and will probably be demoted to a setup role/7th inning man sooner than later.

ms620
09-01-2009, 09:40 AM
yes, lets elevate Linebrink to the closers role...he is getting paid like one anyway. Give me an alternative. Thornton cannot get righthanders out well enough to be the guy.

Not saying Thornton is the guy..but he has a .230 BA against vs right handed batters...

soxyess
09-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Jenks will be traded this offseason. As far as value goes, he is still a good enough closer to get good value on the open market simply because of the lack of quality closers in MLB.

kitekrazy
09-01-2009, 10:42 AM
So who do they replace him with?

Thornton is not a closer. He has 1 1/2 pitches in his arsenal.

ShoelessJoeS
09-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Bobby Jenks isn't the same pitcher he used to be, yes. But, if you want to get rid of him, who do you replace him with?

AzureJazzMan
09-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Bobby Jenks isn't the same pitcher he used to be, yes. But, if you want to get rid of him, who do you replace him with?

Jon Link

SCCWS
09-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Jenks will be traded this offseason. As far as value goes, he is still a good enough closer to get good value on the open market simply because of the lack of quality closers in MLB.

What sense does that make. If there is a lack of quality closers, why would you trade Jenks when you don't have another quality option on staff. Until the Sox can bring up another closer from the minors or trade for one, Jenks will stay.

JB98
09-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Jon Link

No. He isn't even the best reliever in Charlotte this year.

soxyess
09-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Thornton can close. You dont need many pitches to close. Thornton has a dominating fastball, a slider, and a good change. Thats sufficient. I also believe the Sox are grooming Jhonny Nunez as a future closer. He has closer stuff. Power fastball, and power sinker.

Jimmy Piersall
09-01-2009, 12:23 PM

If Kenny is thinking about moving Jenks in the off-season,then i'm sure
he would make one of the minor league guys part of the call-up group.
I know i sure as hell would want to see a kid pitch in September at the
big boy level just to see how he performs,albeit not involved in a playoff
race at this point in time.We know the Sox aren't spending big dollars on
a free-agent closer,whoever that might be.As for Thornton,i'm in the group that thinks he can do it but i also would like to see him get some
save opportunities in September...like there will be any of those !

JB98
09-01-2009, 12:26 PM
If Kenny is thinking about moving Jenks in the off-season,then i'm sure
he would make one of the minor league guys part of the call-up group.
I know i sure as hell would want to see a kid pitch in September at the
big boy level just to see how he performs,albeit not involved in a playoff
race at this point in time.We know the Sox aren't spending big dollars on
a free-agent closer,whoever that might be.As for Thornton,i'm in the group that thinks he can do it but i also would like to see him get some
save opportunities in September...like there will be any of those !

I think Nunez is going to get a shot this September, but he might be in line to take Dotel's spot in the bullpen next year -- as opposed to Jenks' spot.

I'm scratching my head as to why people think Jon Link is an answer to anything. He has a 4.22 ERA in Charlotte. He's given up 53 hits and walked 25 in 53 innings. Anyone who thinks this guy is a reasonable option to replace Jenks is fooling themselves.

voodoochile
09-01-2009, 12:29 PM

I actually hope we bring Bobby back. I think most of his problems were health related in the middle of the year. Since then he's been excellent in save opportunities.

However, if they do trade him, I wouldn't be shocked to see Nunez get a chance to be a closer down the road. He certainly appears to have the stuff.

Edit: soxyess beat me to it, nice to see I'm not the only one... :tiphat:

JB98
09-01-2009, 12:36 PM
I actually hope we bring Bobby back. I think most of his problems were health related in the middle of the year. Since then he's been excellent in save opportunities.

However, if they do trade him, I wouldn't be shocked to see Nunez get a chance to be a closer down the road. He certainly appears to have the stuff.

Edit: soxyess beat me to it, nice to see I'm not the only one... :tiphat:

I would probably bring Jenks back also, unless KW got an offer he couldn't refuse. This has been Jenks' worst year with the Sox, but he is a quality, proven reliever. Given what we've seen out of the bullpen the last month or so, I don't think the Sox are in any shape to be trading a pitcher such as Jenks. He's still the best right-handed reliever in our bullpen.

My main reason for jumping into this thread was to note that Jon Link sucks. If he was any good, the Sox would have called him up instead of trading for Tony Pena.

kufram
09-01-2009, 12:36 PM
I think the "closer" role is the most over-rated roster position in baseball. Bobby was great in '05 but there were two other guys on that staff that pitched brilliantly for one inning most nights with a 1 or 2 run lead. I think any of the 3 would have had the same result.

ike from nj
09-01-2009, 01:38 PM
I think the "closer" role is the most over-rated roster position in baseball. Bobby was great in '05 but there were two other guys on that staff that pitched brilliantly for one inning most nights with a 1 or 2 run lead. I think any of the 3 would have had the same result.
the only elite closers with consistency are rivera, nathan and rodriguez. once jenks lost the 3 or 4 mph off his fastball he joined the pack especially since he has a tendency to fall behind the hitters so he can't use the hook as much.

gobears1987
09-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Until you can find me a better closer, Bobby Jenks must remain on this team. BTW, you can find good relievers like Thornton, but they can't close. Matt can pitch like the best pitcher in baseball during the 7th or 8th inning, but if you put him in the 9th, he will falter.

kufram
09-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Until you can find me a better closer, Bobby Jenks must remain on this team. BTW, you can find good relievers like Thornton, but they can't close. Matt can pitch like the best pitcher in baseball during the 7th or 8th inning, but if you put him in the 9th, he will falter.
yeah, a bit like Bobby lately

StillMissOzzie
09-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Jenks got a pretty big bump in salary, going from $550K to $5.6M in 2009, his first arbitration-eligible year. I get the feeling that KW doesn't want to go down that road again, and count me among those who feels that Jenks has been on the decline for at least the last couple of years. I don't thinks that Jenks is among the truly elite closers in MLB, but he will probably be looking for another substantial raise again in this, his second arb-eligible year. I would not be surprised at all if Jenks is not on the 2010 Sox.

SMO
:gulp:

voodoochile
09-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Jenks got a pretty big bump in salary, going from $550K to $5.6M in 2009, his first arbitration-eligible year. I get the feeling that KW doesn't want to go down that road again, and count me among those who feels that Jenks has been on the decline for at least the last couple of years. I don't thinks that Jenks is among the truly elite closers in MLB, but he will probably be looking for another substantial raise again in this, his second arb-eligible year. I would not be surprised at all if Jenks is not on the 2010 Sox.

SMO
:gulp:

The other side is that his scare with kidney stones might make Bobby more willing to talk about a long term deal and the Sox might be able to wrap him up for the next 3 years for $18M or so.

Edit in fact, Bobby might be taking his chances on arbitration because he had a down year.