PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Idea

doublem23
09-01-2009, 08:44 AM
With the Sox trading Thome last night, anyone think this is KW's roundabout way of getting past the CBA to bring Jim back for 2010 at a very discounted price? If he finished the season with the Sox under his current contract, he'd have to sign with us for a minimum of $10.4 million or not until May 1, IIRC. Now that he'll finish the year in LA, he can be signed this off-season for a very reduced salary.

Am I crazy? Or really crazy?

soxyess
09-01-2009, 08:45 AM
Let it go! Thome isn't coming back.

eastchicagosoxfan
09-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Anything is possible, but I believe the Sox will look in another direction for a DH. Versatility will be on top of the list.

Red Barchetta
09-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Let it go! Thome isn't coming back.

I agree. Thome is a class act and future Hall of Fame inductee. However, he is nearing the end of his career. We need to improve by getting younger and faster...

parlaycard
09-01-2009, 08:52 AM
With the Sox trading Thome last night, anyone think this is KW's roundabout way of getting past the CBA to bring Jim back for 2010 at a very discounted price? If he finished the season with the Sox under his current contract, he'd have to sign with us for a minimum of $10.4 million or not until May 1, IIRC. Now that he'll finish the year in LA, he can be signed this off-season for a very reduced salary.

Which would be a better move? Bringing back Thome, or prying Adam Dunn out of Washington?

Rocky Soprano
09-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Which would be a better move? Bringing back Thome, or prying Adam Dunn out of Washington?

Neither.

Jurr
09-01-2009, 09:03 AM

Come on! We DO NOT NEED slow footed sluggers. Baseball is changing. Even Ozzie talked about it the other day. The steroid problem was far reaching. Now that players can't risk using PED's, they have lost that slight bit of bat speed that turns a warning track flyout into a moonshot.

The premium is now contact, on base percentage, and good defense. Put your big dollars there. Any player that can square a ball up can hit plenty of homers at the Cell. The problem is having multiple guys that have to force the issue. Overswinging brings a slump. Putting a premium on contact keeps you on base.

Adam Dunn is another feast or famine hitter. Thankfully we just dumped one of those from the roster. Why in God's name would you add another?

Lip Man 1
09-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Double:

Never say never with Kenny but I wouldn't bet your life on the chance.

Lip

TheOldRoman
09-01-2009, 09:47 AM

That is not true. The Sox could have declined his option, paid the buyout (if applicable), and offered him a contract for league minimum if they wanted. The Cubs did this a few years ago with Kerry Wood - he had a massive option which they declined, gave him something like a $5 mil payout, and then resigned him to a small deal. They wouldn't have to trade him to resign him cheaply.

I wouldn't be completely shocked if Thome resigned, but I think KW has had enough of the current team. I know I have, and if I were GM there would be about 15 new faces here next year. But I think KW has realized the veteran core of the team is flawed, probably more because of the combination of players than any individual one, and needs to be replaced. Thome is gone, Dye will be gone, Konerko will have one year left on the south side.

thedudeabides
09-01-2009, 09:52 AM

This restriction was removed from the CBA. The Sox could have refused arbitration and brought back Thome at whatever price they wanted.

In 2008 Andy Pettite made $16 million for the Yankees. In 2009 the Yankees refused arbitration and re-signed him for $5.5 million.

I like the conspiracy theory, but it would no longer be necessary. :D:

Woofer
09-01-2009, 09:56 AM
I think that this could be a possibility, but only if Dye moves on.

stillz
09-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Love Jim and miss Jim, but this is goodbye. That lineup spot should have speed to compliment power next year.

SoxGirl4Life
09-01-2009, 10:04 AM

I thought about this.. That they could resign him for next year. Didn't think about the money angle. I wouldn't count anything out, at this point. Jimmy loves being close to his dad in Peoria. Sooo..

ode to veeck
09-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Jim has expressed an interest in finishing his career in Cleveland ... somehow there would have to be a major barrier to that. I wouldn't mind another year out of him at DH on the cheap (he has such a good attitude and work ethic) but I am not holding my breath for it.

kitekrazy
09-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Come on! We DO NOT NEED slow footed sluggers. Baseball is changing.

Oh but it's hard to break Sox fans and the organization away from station to station baseball.

PopsBrechtel
09-01-2009, 12:03 PM
I'll miss him, but....HE GONE!

Rockabilly
09-01-2009, 12:12 PM
I have a feeling that Dunn will be our DH next season.

Dye will no longer will be with the Sox.

kitekrazy
09-01-2009, 12:38 PM

How will they acquire him?

Rockabilly
09-01-2009, 12:42 PM
How will they acquire him?

trade with Washington during the off season

Zisk77
09-01-2009, 01:01 PM

Dye will no longer will be with the Sox.

I wish this fantasy will go away. Dunn is the exact player type we are moving away from. We want someone more like Rios...better defense, can ran...not just steal bases but score from 2nd on singles and 1st on doubles, Yet still have some power.

kufram
09-01-2009, 01:25 PM
When the DH first came in I kind of liked that these aging sluggers could stay in the game and, in fact, be of great value... Jim, Big Papi, etc. But I now see that that day is passing. The Sox should now get ahead of the curve. I think the role is changing and a guy that hits great home runs but nothing much else is not getting enough out of the position.

Speed isn't the right word for it but the guy needs to be able to run, at least. Higher BA and more extra base hits and fewer strikeouts will give us more of what we will need. Also, at least the ability to cover a defensive position adequately will help.

tstrike2000
09-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Adam Dunn is another feast or famine hitter. Thankfully we just dumped one of those from the roster. Why in God's name would you add another?

And Dunn's having a career year, avg. wise, so I wouldn't take my chances with Dunn either for next year, even in a hitter's ballpark.

Craig Grebeck
09-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Who needs good hitters?!

SPEEEEED!

The fact that there are people out there who, all things being equal, would rather this team DH Pods or Chone Figgins instead of Adam Dunn makes my brain hurt.

soltrain21
09-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Who needs good hitters?!

SPEEEEED!

The fact that there are people out there who, all things being equal, would rather this team DH Pods or Chone Figgins instead of Adam Dunn makes my brain hurt.

No ****. I would take Adam Dunn on this team in a heart beat. I know we need "fast" players and players that will go first to third - but not all the way through the lineup.

everafan
09-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Jim has expressed an interest in finishing his career in Cleveland ... somehow there would have to be a major barrier to that. I wouldn't mind another year out of him at DH on the cheap (he has such a good attitude and work ethic) but I am not holding my breath for it.

When? I think you misunderstood. There was a Manny comment in ST when Manny said it would be cool for the 2 of them to go back and finish their carreers in Cleveland. Jim was polite about about it and said anything is possible. He never expressed any real interest in that.

Jurr
09-01-2009, 03:53 PM
No ****. I would take Adam Dunn on this team in a heart beat. I know we need "fast" players and players that will go first to third - but not all the way through the lineup.

Home runs are the commodity that gets overpaid the most. Any player that can square up a baseball can hit 20 in this park.

There are LOTS of those guys out there. Some even have the speed to steal a base, can limit strikeouts, and go the opposite way/cut down a swing with RISP.

Good execution never slumps. Long swings with homer emphasis do slump.
If you get a group of players together with the collective mindset that they will scratch and claw through at bats/rallies to score runs, it becomes contagious.

Those teams get runners over and in. They bunt successfully. They can go into a bottom of the 9th situation and piece together a rally. If down 1 run, they can manufacture a run instead of waiting on three flyouts on attempted homers. Those teams are never out of it.

Kenny's on the right track. He's going to add some more athleticism. He's going to have a great staff, and he'll add the defense to make that staff prosper. Konerko will be the only slug(ger) clogging basepaths.

Pitching, defense, timely hitting, execution. Picking up players now instead of waiting until off season. Dumping sluggers and thinking smaller. That has a familiar ring to it.

soxfanreggie
09-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Ross Gload for DH! He is a free agent and a lefty stick. :D:

Crestani
09-01-2009, 04:28 PM
I wish this fantasy will go We want someone more like Rios...better defense, can ran...not just steal bases but score from 2nd on singles and 1st on doubles, Yet still have some power.

Um...Maybe this should be in teal!:gah:

oeo
09-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Adam Dunn would be a great addition. This 'the steroid era is over, homeruns suck' nonsense is bull****.

Nellie_Fox
09-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Adam Dunn would be a great addition. This 'the steroid era is over, homeruns suck' nonsense is bull****.Adam Dunn is a one-trick pony. Not my kind of player.

chisox616
09-01-2009, 04:40 PM
What about Abreu? I don't see a whole lot of people talking about him. If I remember, a lot of people were happy to hear about the rumors that he was coming here last off season.

Waysouthsider
09-01-2009, 05:03 PM
SSIA....

Bobby would add a LOT to this team...

downstairs
09-01-2009, 05:16 PM
No. We need a team that is going to be playoff-quality for 3 years or so. Thome doesn't fit that mold.

Craig Grebeck
09-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Home runs are the commodity that gets overpaid the most. Any player that can square up a baseball can hit 20 in this park.

There are LOTS of those guys out there. Some even have the speed to steal a base, can limit strikeouts, and go the opposite way/cut down a swing with RISP.

Good execution never slumps. Long swings with homer emphasis do slump.
If you get a group of players together with the collective mindset that they will scratch and claw through at bats/rallies to score runs, it becomes contagious.

Those teams get runners over and in. They bunt successfully. They can go into a bottom of the 9th situation and piece together a rally. If down 1 run, they can manufacture a run instead of waiting on three flyouts on attempted homers. Those teams are never out of it.

Kenny's on the right track. He's going to add some more athleticism. He's going to have a great staff, and he'll add the defense to make that staff prosper. Konerko will be the only slug(ger) clogging basepaths.

Pitching, defense, timely hitting, execution. Picking up players now instead of waiting until off season. Dumping sluggers and thinking smaller. That has a familiar ring to it.
Man, I wonder why this is our offense's worst year yet...

Could it be we've never had fewer of these guys that are supposedly everywhere? We've hit fewer home runs and been a worse team because of it. You've got no evidence to back up your claims of "contagious" baseballing.

Zakath
09-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Adam Dunn is a one-trick pony. Not my kind of player.

Dunn's numbers are about where they were in 2007, if not a little better. Striking out 1 out of every 3 official AB's doesn't help us, but he draws a suprisingly high number of walks.

2007 (CIN) - 138-522, 101 R, 27 2B, 2 3B, 40 HR, 106 RBI, 101 BB, 165 K, .264 BA, .386 OBP, .554 SLG

2009 (WAS) - 125-447, 71 R, 26 2B, 0 3B, 35 HR, 91 RBI, 100 BB, 149 K, .280 BA, .414 OBP, .573 SLG

Not bad for a guy playing on teams that totally suck.

kitekrazy
09-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Adam Dunn is a one-trick pony. Not my kind of player.

We should be use to those by now.

kitekrazy
09-01-2009, 07:48 PM
trade with Washington during the off season

Hmmmm.....I'd like to hear from anyone how they will do that.