PDA

View Full Version : Interim lineup

A. Cavatica
09-01-2009, 01:27 AM
With Thome gone, I think our best lineup has Pods at DH. Break Flowers in slowly.

Podsednik dh
Beckham 3b
Konerko 1b
Dye rf
Pierzynski c
Quentin lf
Ramirez ss
Rios cf
Nix/Getz 2b

Rohan
09-01-2009, 01:28 AM
This isn't very novel to us... We've see the line up previewed quite a few times in the last month.

LoveYourSuit
09-01-2009, 01:33 AM
I would go:

1. Getz 2B
2. Beckham 3B
3. Quentin LF
4. Konerko 1B
5. AJ - DH
6. Dye - RF
7. Rios CF
8. Flower C
9. Alexei SS

God I wish someone had claimed Pods to turn that page in the book also.

The Immigrant
09-01-2009, 01:34 AM
I'd let Dye hang out with the Bertucci Boys while Pods plays in left, Quentin in right, and the Boogeyman (Flowers) gets some ABs at DH.

CWSpalehoseCWS
09-01-2009, 01:51 AM
I would rotate Konerko, Flowers and Pierzynski at DH. Let Flowers play a little at C and 1B, while Konerko and Pierzynski get some time in at their respective positions and rest up a little at DH.

Noneck
09-01-2009, 02:07 AM

I am sure he wasnt out there to be claimed and if he was, the Sox wanted something in return, not a bag of beans like for the other two.

This sure makes it look like the Sox are considering keeping him for next year.

voodoochile
09-01-2009, 02:12 AM
I think you'll continue to see AJ batting third for a while unless he cools off. He's the only .300 hitter on the team after all.

TDog
09-01-2009, 02:15 AM
I am surprised Flowers is being called up. I would be surprised if he gets a lot of playing time. Beckham got playing time because he was the best third baseman the Sox could field. Nothing remotely similar could be said of Flowers.

Losing Thome doesn't put a big hole in the lineup because Thome hasn't been producing. He is easily replaced. Podsednik has had a strong game or two at DH.

For that matter, the Sox would have been better off not pitching Contreras most of the time lately. I don't know who they are going to use in his place, but it couldn't get worse.

The White Sox shouldn't be any less competitive in September than they were in August. Looking at August, I would be surprised if they aren't.

Boondock Saint
09-01-2009, 02:24 AM
There's still a bunch of options for the lineup. Paulie at DH with Kotsay or Flowers at first, any of the OFers at DH when they aren't playing the field, etc...

LITTLE NELL
09-01-2009, 06:17 AM
I think that the Dye at DH era should begin with Pods in LF, Rios in CF and TCQ in RF with Kotsay being the late inning defensive replacement for TCQ provided we ever have a lead again.

Craig Grebeck
09-01-2009, 07:24 AM
Why are people seriously thinking it's a good idea to play Pods over Flowers when we are ****ing out of it?

09-01-2009, 08:04 AM
Why are people seriously thinking it's a good idea to play Pods over Flowers when we are ****ing out of it?

You're ****ing out of it.

Mod Edit: Now you're out of it. For 7 days.

Craig Grebeck
09-01-2009, 08:08 AM
People would really rather see Pods out there than this organization's best prospect?

09-01-2009, 08:14 AM
People would really rather see Pods out there than this organization's best prospect?

I don't think we're out of it.

Craig Grebeck
09-01-2009, 08:14 AM
I don't think we're out of it.
That's great. We just traded our DH. Our GM seems to think so.

TomBradley72
09-01-2009, 08:24 AM

I know you are, but what am I.

johnny bench
09-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Can anyone help me understand who has been added to the major league roster to replace Thome and Contreras?

soxfanreggie
09-01-2009, 08:25 AM

Like I have said before, we may have to go with Pods on the roster next year if his contract better fits in our payroll. We're not going to be able to go out there and add a much better player at every position. Maybe KW and Ozzie feel like they have to see more with Pods in LF and TCQ in RF if he moves Dye to DH.

soxyess
09-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Dye needs to hit the bench for the rest of the season. Maybe pinch hit once in a while. Let Kotsay finish the season in right field, or see if TCQ can play that position before you re-tool the club.

PaleHoser
09-01-2009, 09:06 AM

Yes, unless Flowers can lead off. I saw enough of "who's going to hit leadoff" in April and May before Podsednik took the spot. He's my leadoff man until we can find a better one, or he proves he can't do the job anymore.

Craig Grebeck
09-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Yes, unless Flowers can lead off. I saw enough of "who's going to hit leadoff" in April and May before Podsednik took the spot. He's my leadoff man until we can find a better one, or he proves he can't do the job anymore.
So having a leadoff man when we're going to finish in 2nd or 3rd is more important than getting Tyler as many freebie AB as possible? Is this a joke?

voodoochile
09-01-2009, 10:31 AM
I think more likely they'd let AJ DH at least some and try Flowers as catcher since that's where they want him long term. With Castro still on the team the prohibition on using your backup catcher as DH would be lifted.

For the next week or so I still expect Ozzie to go with the A lineup discussed above. I mean if by some fluke they can make a mini-run and get back to 3 out going into the final 10 days then they still stand a chance.

Yeah, I know, I'm a hopeless fool... Can't help myself...:tongue:

#1swisher
09-01-2009, 10:41 AM
I am sure he wasnt out there to be claimed and if he was, the Sox wanted something in return, not a bag of beans like for the other two.

This sure makes it look like the Sox are considering keeping him for next year.

Ozzie said in one of the pregame shows that if Pods kept his agent out of it, he would be back...$$$

JohnnyInnsbrook
09-01-2009, 11:48 AM
That's great. We just traded our DH. Our GM seems to think so.

Im going to have to agree with the banned one. The sox just removed a log from the middle of the order log jam. Big Jim was batting .238 with a .298 obp, in aug. When he does get on base, hes not going anywhere. They can now move one of the defensive liabilities like Scotty Pods or JD into the DH and add more speed to the line up by replacing them in the outfield. Id love to see Jim come back to the sox as some kind of bench coach, some one to teach the players how to be professionals, but by trading him the sox got beter overall.

kitekrazy
09-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Id love to see Jim come back to the sox as some kind of bench coach, some one to teach the players how to be professionals, but by trading him the sox got beter overall.

One of the writers for SI mentioned something similar to this as to why the Dodgers took him.

Procol Harum
09-01-2009, 12:41 PM
I want to see Flowers get some at bats, but I think I'd rather see Quentin at DH most of the time to help get him on the way to getting this plantar fasciitis thing behind him for '10--he's taking a real pounding out there in the outfield. To have him turn in a 2010 that's even at 80% of what he was projected to do in '08 had he played the entire season, would be a real plus for this team.

MisterB
09-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Losing Thome doesn't put a big hole in the lineup because Thome hasn't been producing. He is easily replaced.

He's second on the team in RBI and HR. Exactly who is coming off the bench to replace that? Nix? Getz? Wise?

The sox just removed a log from the middle of the order log jam. Big Jim was batting .238 with a .298 obp, in aug.

And? Dye was .189/.284/.267 in august and Thome still had more RBI that Dye or Konerko in that span.

soxyess
09-01-2009, 01:25 PM
I dont understand how some of you want to see Dye on this team again next year. He is old, slow, and his swing has slowed considerably. He was only good for half a season. Old players dont suddenly get better. I want to replace him with a more versatile younger option.

#1swisher
09-01-2009, 01:30 PM
This would be my Starting Lineup for 9.1.09 (just this game)

LF Pods
2b Ramirez
C Pierzynski
3b Beckham
1b Konerko
DH Dye
RF Kotsay
SS Nix
CF Rios

IMO...put Alexei back @ 2b and Nix @ss. I know this is ridiculous, per previous posters. 100 errors for the season, something needs to change.

GO SOX!

#1swisher
09-01-2009, 01:31 PM
I dont understand how some of you want to see Dye on this team again next year. He is old, slow, and his swing has slowed considerably. He was only good for half a season. Old players dont suddenly get better. I want to replace him with a more versatile younger option.

That's long term. What change in the lineup would you do now?

voodoochile
09-01-2009, 01:33 PM
This would be my Starting Lineup for 9.1.09 (just this game)

LF Pods
2b Ramirez
C Pierzynski
3b Beckham
1b Konerko
DH Dye
RF Kotsay
SS Nix
CF Rios

IMO...put Alexei back @ 2b and Nix @ss. I know this is ridicules, per previous posters. 100 errors for the season, something needs to change.

GO SOX!

Ramirez just had one of his best fielding games of the season, making several good plays and exhibiting the best arm strength he has in a while so today you want to move him? :?:

oeo
09-01-2009, 01:34 PM

No, but I would rather see Pods over Quentin, Dye, and Rios right now. I don't care that they're out of it, I still want to win some games.

Waysouthsider
09-01-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm glad to see AJ in the three hole....at least he's having a great year!

Plus he's started to throw out runners too! Wahoo....!

#1swisher
09-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Ramirez just had one of his best fielding games of the season, making several good plays and exhibiting the best arm strength he has in a while so today you want to move him? :?:

I've wanted to move him for awhile...this is my fantasy lineup for todays' game:redneck

gr8mexico
09-01-2009, 01:42 PM

Mod Edit: Now you're out of it. For 7 days.

Now that was funny

JohnnyInnsbrook
09-01-2009, 01:43 PM
And? Dye was .189/.284/.267 in august and Thome still had more RBI that Dye or Konerko in that span.

Which is probably the reason some one wanted him instead of dye. All im saying is that the team is better off now they dont have three power hitters either striking out or clogging up the bases.

kufram
09-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Yes! Pods came in and did a great job. He did more than anyone to keep the season going as long as it did. I still haven't heard a viable alternative for leadoff.

Craig Grebeck
09-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Yes! Pods came in and did a great job. He did more than anyone to keep the season going as long as it did. I still haven't heard a viable alternative for leadoff.
I'd still like to hear a viable alternative to getting Tyler Flowers major league at-bats without starting his arbitration clock.

Craig Grebeck
09-01-2009, 01:55 PM
No, but I would rather see Pods over Quentin, Dye, and Rios right now. I don't care that they're out of it, I still want to win some games.
Fun with small sample sizes!

hawkjt
09-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Until you are mathmatically eliminated, you put the lineup out there that gives you the best chance to win.
That said, with the way this team plays at the Dump,and the way they are hitting right now, I could see ozzie throwing Flowers out there at DH tonite...shake it up...we are facing a minor league pitcher, maybe minor leaguers can hit him.

oeo
09-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Fun with small sample sizes!

Sample sizes? Good god, Quentin hasn't been the same at all this year. He continues to swing at terrible pitches and do nothing but swing for the fences. Dye hasn't been able to hit the broad side of a barn in the entire second half. Rios, okay, it's a sample size, but he's the worst of all three right now.

Face it, Pods is still scoring runs. As long as he's doing that, he shouldn't be punished. Meanwhile, Quentin, Dye, and Rios are a big part in why we are where we are. They should be punished and lose AB's until they prove they can hit something (anything...please).

Craig Grebeck
09-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Sample sizes? Good god, Quentin hasn't been the same at all this year. He continues to swing at terrible pitches and do nothing but swing for the fences. Dye hasn't been able to hit the broad side of a barn in the entire second half. Rios, okay, it's a sample size, but he's the worst of all three right now.

Face it, Pods is still scoring runs. As long as he's doing that, he shouldn't be punished. Meanwhile, Quentin, Dye, and Rios are a big part in why we are where we are. They should be punished and lose AB's until they prove they can hit something (anything...please).
Hmm, I wonder if that's a function of the guys hitting behind him...

Remind me again what Pods' season OBP is? I mean, if all we're measuring is runs scored, then why not go with the guy who is most likely to get on base. Well, I know Pods outpaces Q right now in the OBP department (by a whopping .014 points), but it is a ridiculous thought to bench Q in favor of Pods.

Craig Grebeck
09-01-2009, 02:11 PM

I actually probably should have reserved my sample sizes jab for the guy who quoted Thome's August numbers or TDog's continued protest of reality.

On third thought, I get what you're saying.

EMachine10
09-01-2009, 02:14 PM
IMO...put Alexei back @ 2b and Nix @ss. I know this is ridicules, per previous posters. 100 errors for the season, something needs to change.

GO SOX!
I hate to do this, but...ridiculous is what you're looking for.

#1swisher
09-01-2009, 02:21 PM
I hate to do this, but...ridiculous is what you're looking for.

Changed it. **** spell check

TheBigHurtST
09-01-2009, 02:22 PM
I would go:

1. Getz 2B
2. Beckham 3B
3. Quentin LF
4. Konerko 1B
5. AJ - DH
6. Dye - RF
7. Rios CF
8. Flower C
9. Alexei SS

Why? Pods has been one of our few GOOD hitters this season. Granted, his defense isn't that good and defense is one of our big problems, but at least wait until the season is over to make that decision. It might actually hurt us now.

TDog
09-01-2009, 02:34 PM
He's second on the team in RBI and HR. Exactly who is coming off the bench to replace that? Nix? Getz? Wise?

Who was providing Jim Thome's production over the last several weeks when Thome was in the lineup?.

Averages and season totals tell you where you've been. They don't tell you where you are going. Thome didn't look like he was going anywhere. Jermaine Dye doesn't look like he is going anywhere for that matter.

It is true that with the rosters expanding, the Sox didn't need to trade Contreras and Thome. The Sox could simply have not played them. (I really don't get the Conteras to Colorado thing, but I haven't checked to see if the Rockies intend to start him or use him in relief.) Neither player had a future with a moving-forward White Sox team. Trading Thome seems to have been a courtesy while trading Contreras should do more to help the team in the future.

This season hasn't worked. Some of it has to do with Carlos Quentin not getting it together after coming off the disable list. Jake Peavy was a gamble because the Sox traded a starting pitcher to acquire one who wouldn't be ready for a month or more. The list of things that have gone wrong is long. Even the positives have gone wrong. Since Gordon Beckham has moved into the number two spot in the order, he has become an easy out. thome and Contreas haven't been helping. The Sox have been victimized by two game-ending home runs on the current roadtrip and ended the previous roadtrip with one. Take a season with 30 teams and about 20 of them will end up with seasons that look like train wrecks.

The thing is, the Sox aren't out of it by any means. Beckham didn't come up so he could get experience. He came up because the team needed a third baseman. Flowers isn't up because he needs big-league experience. This isn't Josh Fields in left field in 2007. Flowers is up to help the White Sox. I would be surprised if he catches many games.
The thing is, the White Sox aren't out of it by any means. They have been playing like they are out of it, certainly. But I don't believe that trading Thome and Contreras signals that management has signaled surrender.

KMcMahon817
09-01-2009, 02:43 PM

Really? The Sox need to set their outfield. However, it is unlikely they will do that. But, they can easily have a rotation of Pods, Q, Rios, and Dye through the three outfield slots and DH, and really, Thome is not missed in that rotation at all. It allows guys to get more AB's, which some seemed to think they were worried about after the Rios acqusition, and one of them doesn't have to sit on the bench everyday. I am bummed to see Jimmy go, but it was time to turn the page, and honestly, the team is better now that he is gone.

Nellie_Fox
09-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Changed it. **** spell checkThat wasn't spell check's fault. Ridicules is a word. It just isn't the word you wanted.

MisterB
09-01-2009, 05:28 PM
I am bummed to see Jimmy go, but it was time to turn the page, and honestly, the team is better now that he is gone.

Offensively? No, they're not.

Since this season has been officially scrapped, I would have shelved TCQ so he can get healthy for next year. His stint on the DL hasn't improved his production any (pre: .229/.325/.458; post: .227/.317/.430) and he risks an even worse injury every time he plays.

It was obvious that Thome wasn't going to be back with the Sox next year and that he really had no place in the plans for 2010 and onward, but this team isn't magically one iota better today than it was yesterday just because he's gone. They lost a legitimate ML player and didn't replace him with anyone, let alone anyone better.

X-1 is always less than X, and you can't change that. (Unless any mathematics majors want to correct me on that point...)