PDA

View Full Version : KW throwing in the towel?

BadBobbyJenks
08-31-2009, 05:57 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=4435804

Deadline is Midnight tonight.

cleanwsox
08-31-2009, 06:00 PM
Can't say I blame him.

GoGoCrede
08-31-2009, 06:00 PM
Oh my.

Rohan
08-31-2009, 06:02 PM
Let's hope we hear some good news by midnight then.

Huisj
08-31-2009, 06:02 PM
What an odd season it has been. The roster changes have been sort a whirlwind with signings, prospects, big trades, and potential waiver things now. And yet through it all, this roster in all of it's various forms, has basically been a steadily mediocre .500 team.

Red Barchetta
08-31-2009, 06:08 PM
I give kudos to KW for trying to improve this team. However, unlike last year when they acquired Ken Griffey Jr. and the lovefest that resulted, I do not have that same sense of clubhouse bonding as a result of the Kotsay/Anderson deal and the acquistion of Rios. In addition, he was planning on Peavy making an impact during the stretch run.

For whatever reason, the players didn't respond. Interestingly, the Perfect Game has indeed become the highlight and highpoint of the season. Our record since then has been horrible...:mad:

esbrechtel
08-31-2009, 06:09 PM
what could we get for these vets? Doesn't anyone "good" have to clear waivers as well?

KyWhiSoxFan
08-31-2009, 06:10 PM
It would be huge to get rid of Linebrink and the money he is owed next year. I doubt anyone is that dumb to take him, at least without the Sox taking care of some of his salary next year. Which I would doin a minute. You have to get rid of him and move someone else into the pen who can get the job done.

As far as Dye and Thome, neither one figures to be on the team next year anyway, so you may as well try to get something for them. I could see someone interested in Thome this year.

But too bad that KW waited till the 11th hour to put up the For Sale sign.

esbrechtel
08-31-2009, 06:11 PM
It would be huge to get rid of Linebrink and the money he is owed next year. I doubt anyone is that dumb to take him, at least without the Sox taking care of some of his salary next year. Which I would doin a minute. You have to get rid of him and move someone else into the pen who can get the job done.

As far as Dye and Thome, neither one figures to be on the team next year anyway, so you may as well try to get something for them. I could see someone interested in Thome this year.

But too bad that KW waited till the 11th hour to put up the For Sale sign.

ah well in his defense the Sox waited til the 11th hour to be out of the race...

white sox bill
08-31-2009, 06:12 PM
Scott Linebrink??? NO NO NO!!!

fram40
08-31-2009, 06:12 PM
what could we get for these vets? Doesn't anyone "good" have to clear waivers as well?

I would bet they have all cleared waivers already.

DirtySox
08-31-2009, 06:13 PM
Not surprised. I've been checking Trade Rumors all day looking for reports of something like this.

MarySwiss
08-31-2009, 06:14 PM
I'd agree (wholeheartedly) with seeing Linebrink go bye-bye. I'd agree (reluctantly) with saying good-bye to Big Jim. But sorry, IMO, the acquisition of Rios was a mistake, and kicking Dye to the curb would also be.

Johnny Mostil
For whatever reason, the players didn't respond. Interestingly, the Perfect Game has indeed become the highlight and highpoint of the season. Our record since then has been horrible...:mad:

I'd been thinking about this . . . 14-22 since then:whiner:.

Crestani

The real question is; :whiteflag:Who would want any of them?

oeo
08-31-2009, 06:16 PM
Interesting. Although no one will likely be dealt, it looks like Dye and Thome will both be shown the door. Trading Linebrink would be addition by subtraction.

kevingrt
08-31-2009, 06:18 PM
I wouldn't say he is throwing in the towel. All three of those players VORP's (Value Over Replacement Player) is probably not high at all or maybe even below zero. Plus get those contracts off the book ASAP is never a bad thing.

veeter
08-31-2009, 06:18 PM
I would think a lot of teams would want Thome. The Sox would have to eat a lot of Linebrink's money. Moving him would be a huge victory. He's one of the worst Sox pitchers in the last fifteen years.

DirtySox
08-31-2009, 06:19 PM
I would think a lot of teams would want Thome. The Sox would have to eat a lot of Linebrink's money. Moving him would be a huge victory. He's one of the worst Sox pitchers in the last fifteen years.

Agreed. I think someone will be gone by the deadline.

Noneck
08-31-2009, 06:20 PM
Williams is not a stupid man. The posters here see it is over (well at least most) and he knows they are done. You cant hurt to try, nothing to lose.

veeter
08-31-2009, 06:21 PM
If this is true, expect an even more embarrassing performance in Minnesota. Jermaine is probably in the fetal position right now.

Whappeh
08-31-2009, 06:22 PM
Crazy. Odds of them getting delt?

This does open a ton of salary space for next year. Figgins?

captainclutch24
08-31-2009, 06:24 PM
Might as well try. 5.5 out with no end in sight to our free fall especially with the Sox headed to Minn. Seasons done folks.

20 percent chance though that one of them gets moved

Noneck
08-31-2009, 06:26 PM
Crazy. Odds of them getting delt?

This does open a ton of salary space for next year. Figgins?

Thome and Dye are meat for next year so it would be a 1 month savings, if they could find a sucker, I mean team to pick either up. Linebrink will never be picked up with his contract unless the Sox eat a buffet portion of it.

Tragg
08-31-2009, 06:27 PM
Linebrink - LOL; good luck, Kenny.

It's too late to get anything - they'll probably be dealt for cash. These guys are coming off the books anyway - no cash is really being freed up.

I wonder who Williams plans on DHing next year.

captainclutch24
08-31-2009, 06:28 PM
I wonder who Williams plans on DHing next year.

Viciedo?
Fields?

kittle42
08-31-2009, 06:29 PM
Viciedo?
Fields?

How about an actual good player? There will be some available.

OR we get stuck with Ozzie's Pods obsession at DH.

southside rocks
08-31-2009, 06:30 PM
Wow, that ought to make for a lively atmosphere in the visitor's clubhouse at the Metrodome right about now!

:tongue:

Marqhead
08-31-2009, 06:30 PM
Trying to get rid of players who will most likely be gone in the off season is nothing special. If KW gets anything for any of them it's a win.

Jim Rose was calling this "White Flag 2" on ABC news. Ludicrous.

Noneck
08-31-2009, 06:31 PM
Wow, that ought to make for a lively atmosphere in the visitor's clubhouse at the Metrodome right about now!

:tongue:

Who knows with that bunch.

Tragg
08-31-2009, 06:32 PM
Viciedo?
Fields?

Well, I suppose.
I think Thome for 4 million would be better.

I'd like to see JD go to the G Men and help them get into the playoffs.

veeter
08-31-2009, 06:34 PM
Trying to get rid of players who will most likely be gone in the off season is nothing special. If KW gets anything for any of them it's a win.

Jim Rose was calling this "White Flag 2" on ABC news. Ludicrous.Jim Rose couldn't even name one player involved in the first supposed white flag trade. That guy just reads what someone puts on the teleprompter.

Whappeh
08-31-2009, 06:34 PM
I'd like to see JD go to the G Men and help them get into the playoffs.

That was my next question: Who needs them?

tstrike2000
08-31-2009, 06:35 PM
Jim Rose couldn't even name one player involved in the first supposed white flag trade. That guy just reads what someone puts on the teleprompter.

As are a lot of the sportscasters in this town. KW's never thrown in the towel in his tenure here and he's not gonna start now.

Viva Medias B's
08-31-2009, 06:35 PM
This was just reported as an "alert" on CSN SportsNite.

Frater Perdurabo
08-31-2009, 06:36 PM
KW has to deal Thome and Dye if he wants anything in return for them.

The only way to get draft pick compensation if they leave as free agents is to offer them arbitration.

But with today's depressed prices, Thome and Dye would make much more money via arbitration than they will on the open market.

Therefore, Thome and Dye almost certainly would accept arbitration, and would be back with the Sox in 2010.

So if KW does not plan to have either back in 2010, and he wants something in return, he has to try to trade them today.

Noneck
That was my next question: Who needs them?

For about 1m each for a month. Nobody.

Tragg
This wouldn't be throwing in the towel.
It's over now.

Noneck
08-31-2009, 06:38 PM
It's over now.

Its trying to get penny's on your dollars investment.

veeter
I can just hear Kenny, "Oh yea, you want to quit on me? Take that!!"

tstrike2000
It's over now.

Well, not technically, but if another sweep occurs, it may be very close.

Tragg
08-31-2009, 06:39 PM
Its trying to get penny's on your dollars investment.
Well, the chance of getting a decent return are long gone. But if there are a few suiters for any of these players, we might be able to grab a decent prospect.

Dotel should be on that list too. He ought to bring a prospect.

veeter
08-31-2009, 06:41 PM
This is Kenny forming his 2010 team a little early.

Noneck
08-31-2009, 06:41 PM
Well, the chance of getting a decent return are long gone. But if there are a few suiters for any of these players, we might be able to grab a decent prospect.

Dotel should be on that list too. He ought to bring a prospect.

You know they will be extremely lucky if anyone just takes Thomes or Dyes salary for a month off the Sox hand.

dickallen15
08-31-2009, 06:42 PM
The chances of anyone taking one of these guys is very slim.

DirtySox
08-31-2009, 06:42 PM
http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/statuses/3676419915

Konerko and Dotel available too.

Stoky44
08-31-2009, 06:43 PM

Konerko would have to approve right? He's 10/5 guy. No way he goes anywhere.

GoGoCrede
08-31-2009, 06:44 PM

I love how he felt the need to add "annoyed." I mean, I'm sure he is, but it seems odd to add that in there.

I can see teams wanting Dotel.

Boondock Saint
08-31-2009, 06:44 PM

Holy crap. Didn't think that Paulie would be going anywhere...but then again, this doesn't mean that he is going anywhere yet.

oeo
08-31-2009, 06:47 PM
Konerko would have to approve right? 10/5 guy?

Konerko, Thome, and Linebrink would all have to approve.

After thinking about this, Kenny knows a lot would have to right very quickly in order to get a deal done. I think this is one last attempt to get the team fired up.

Noneck
The only upcoming FA that someone would take a flyer on is Pod. His monthly cost would be nothing and thats why he probably isn't on the list and he has been hitting ok also. But if they don't plan on signing him now , they will get something for him. The others they would get nothing. Except a months salary.

DumpJerry
Konerko would have to approve right? He's 10/5 guy. No way he goes anywhere.
Correct. He has 100% veto power.

Tragg
08-31-2009, 06:48 PM
It's a little late to peddle these players.
Not that he could have started much earlier without throwing in the towel.
Do we get any compensation for any of these players, if signed? Dotel? Thome?

dickallen15
08-31-2009, 06:49 PM
This comes out today. The Sox said they would release the results of Peavy's exam after tonight's game. Peavy said he would comment after tonight's game. Does anyone get the impression Peavy is probably out the rest of this year?

DickAllen72
08-31-2009, 06:50 PM
KW has to deal Thome and Dye if he wants anything in return for them.

The only way to get draft pick compensation if they leave as free agents is to offer them arbitration.

But with today's depressed prices, Thome and Dye would make much more money via arbitration than they will on the open market.

Therefore, Thome and Dye almost certainly would accept arbitration, and would be back with the Sox in 2010.

So if KW does not plan to have either back in 2010, and he wants something in return, he has to try to trade them today.
Kenny may be demonstrating to Thome and Dye that there is not much demand for them so if they want to stick around they'll have to consider re-signing for much less than they have been earning.

veeter
Yea, this game is going to be very interesting.

ike from nj
plenty of posters on this site were killed for suggesting the sox move thome and/or dye earlier when they had more value.

dickallen15
08-31-2009, 06:51 PM
Kenny may be demonstrating to Thome and Dye that there is not much demand for them so if they want to stick around they'll have to consider re-signing for much less than they have been earning.

While that makes sense, I'm sure they will find out how much they are worth if they go on the open market.

veeter
This comes out today. The Sox said they would release the results of Peavy's exam after tonight's game. Peavy said he would comment after tonight's game. Does anyone get the impression Peavy is probably out the rest of this year?It goes right in line with this latest announcement. Why risk hurting him if the season is over right?

Boondock Saint
plenty of posters on this sight were killed for suggesting the sox move thome and/or dye earlier when they had more value.

That's because they were still in a playoff race. You don't sell off players when you're still in it.

Also, they didn't have that much value anyway.

DirtySox
It's a little late to peddle these players.
Not that he could have started much earlier without throwing in the towel.
Do we get any compensation for any of these players, if signed? Dotel? Thome?

Compensation doesn't occur unless arbitration is offered to a player. The Sox would likely not offer arbitration to Thome or Dye for fear of them accepting and making way more then market value.

Domeshot17
If I was Peavy I would feel duped.

I still wonder if Ozzie has just lost his clubhouse. And if he has, there is no reason to keep him. He isn't much of a teacher, hes a very below average in game manager, his calling card and bread and butter was being able to hold down a clubhouse and being a motivator. If that is no longer the case, we're in trouble.

oeo
08-31-2009, 06:52 PM
plenty of posters on this sight were killed for suggesting the sox move thome and/or dye earlier when they had more value.

Oh really, throwing in the towel when you're a game back in July isn't dumb? Things change, they change quickly.

veeter
08-31-2009, 06:53 PM
plenty of posters on this site were killed for suggesting the sox move thome and/or dye earlier when they had more value.The team was playing better ball then. We all want a division title. Just three weeks ago things looked good.

dickallen15
It goes right in line with this latest announcement. Why risk hurting him if the season is over right?

I'm thinking his elbow might somehow be screwed up, and without him, the team's slim chance if there even was one, is gone. If they win tonight, they are 5 back and there's a month to go. While it is probably bleak, a lot stranger things have happened. This cold streak probably has stopped ticket sales cold. They probably have a lot of season ticket accounts not buying playoff tickets...........this roadtrip has been a disaster in more ways than one.

Noneck
plenty of posters on this site were killed for suggesting the sox move thome and/or dye earlier when they had more value.

Can't blame anyone for that, no one can look in the future. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Coolpapa
Dealing some or all of these players could bring a nice return. An all new bullpen?

Frater Perdurabo
08-31-2009, 06:54 PM
I still wonder if Ozzie has just lost his clubhouse. And if he has, there is no reason to keep him. He isn't much of a teacher, hes a very below average in game manager, his calling card and bread and butter was being able to hold down a clubhouse and being a motivator. If that is no longer the case, we're in trouble.

Very good points.

Boondock Saint
08-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Dealing some or all of these players could bring a nice return. An all new bullpen?

You're overvaluing these players.

ike from nj
08-31-2009, 06:55 PM
Can't blame anyone for that, no one can look in the future. Hindsight is always 20/20.
except it wasn't hindsight...

Goose

These players will bring in no one. If Harden (SP) could not bring in any decent prospects, these old guys won't either.

oeo

Peavy got himself out of a terrible situation. This team will contend in the coming years.

And you keep preaching the same thing. Ozzie will be here for awhile, accept it and get used to it.

Noneck

No Return. Nada, zip, zilch, pocket change, laundry money, parking meter money, ooopps. I better stop there.

veeter
08-31-2009, 06:57 PM

I still wonder if Ozzie has just lost his clubhouse. And if he has, there is no reason to keep him. He isn't much of a teacher, hes a very below average in game manager, his calling card and bread and butter was being able to hold down a clubhouse and being a motivator. If that is no longer the case, we're in trouble.As someone pointed out, Kenny may have told Peavy about some exciting plans for next year. Peavy, I'm sure knows exactly what he got himself into. It's weird, I think Ozzie's clubhouse is so good, that players get pissed when it looks like there on the way out. So many players under KW and Ozzie say they'd like to finish their careers here.

veeter
08-31-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm thinking his elbow might somehow be screwed up, and without him, the team's slim chance if there even was one, is gone. If they win tonight, they are 5 back and there's a month to go. While it is probably bleak, a lot stranger things have happened. This cold streak probably has stopped ticket sales cold. They probably have a lot of season ticket accounts not buying playoff tickets...........this roadtrip has been a disaster in more ways than one.I hope it's o.k.

Frater Perdurabo
08-31-2009, 06:59 PM
As someone pointed out, Kenny may have told Peavy about some exciting plans for next year. Peavy, I'm sure knows exactly what he got himself into. It's weird, I think Ozzie's clubhouse is so good, that players get pissed when it looks like there on the way out. So many players under KW and Ozzie say they'd like to finish their careers here.

Of course they want to stay. Ozzie takes all the heat in the media and he doesn't make his players practice fundamentals.

esbrechtel
I would hate to break the news to my GF that Paulie was traded....he has been her favorite forever....:o:

WhiteSoxOnly

While i am firmly a believer that the players need to be held
accountable for this mess,and some of them sure as hell will
be,sometimes you just need a new face/voice in there.Fair or
not,and we all know fair has nothing to do with anything,it
wouldn't bother me in the slightest if Oz wasn't around next
year.Now is that going to happen ? i'm not betting on it.

southside rocks
I still wonder if Ozzie has just lost his clubhouse.

I think KW is trying to lose a good portion of that clubhouse for his manager.

The underachieving, unproductive portion.

I hope he's successful. :D:

oeo
08-31-2009, 07:00 PM
No Return. Nada, zip, zilch, pocket change, laundry money, parking meter money, ooopps. I better stop there.

Konerko would have to net something, otherwise it's not worth it.

Boondock Saint
08-31-2009, 07:00 PM

You're right, it wasn't hindsight. It was just stupid "sell this team now" dark clouding. The team was in the race up until two weeks ago.

Waysouthsider
08-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Hey Kevin,

Since you asked, here's the VORP reality:

Thome: 24
Dye: 16.4
Konerko: 19.8
Linebrink: 5.8

I've always thought they should keep Dye...he really acted like he wanted to stay....I'd be glad to see Linebrink go, but would hate to see Konerko leave...

wonder where the team is headed....I agree with the above posts about Ozzie... I'm really concerned with how he behaves...he's always like a sideshow....I can't imagine its not a distraction.

LoveYourSuit
Interesting. Although no one will likely be dealt, it looks like Dye and Thome will both be shown the door. Trading Linebrink would be addition by subtraction.

Yeah, there is no way they are in the plans if they are being dangled here at the last hour.

thomas35forever
If a good portion of these players is dealt, what does that mean for us next year and beyond? Does changing the makeup of the team mean we're rebuilding? If it's true, everyone who wants those three hitters gone will get their wish and they'll deserve whatever team comes out of this. Then again, more people will come out complaining about what KW did.

veeter
Maybe in seven minutes we'll witness the start of a win, out of spite.

Noneck
08-31-2009, 07:03 PM

Yea, I guess something but all I have heard the only place he would accept is LA and Ariz and they are not going to trade for him. So I just ignore him leaving.

oeo
08-31-2009, 07:03 PM
You're right, it wasn't hindsight. It was just stupid "sell this team now" dark clouding. The team was in the race up until two weeks ago.

Up until last week. That is how quickly things change.

Tragg
08-31-2009, 07:07 PM
If a good portion of these players is dealt, what does that mean for us next year and beyond? Does changing the makeup of the team mean we're rebuilding?
I'm sure it would change a lot of things; but what are the chances that he can deal several players by midnight?

Noneck
08-31-2009, 07:08 PM

The signs were there and the road ahead was ominous. It was more than dark clouds.

thomas35forever
I'm sure it would change a lot of things; but what are the chances that he can deal several players by midnight?
You never know with KW. Who said we were gonna try and deal for Peavy again after the first deal fell through?

Brian26
I have to assume Dye is a Type A. Not sure on Thome. What kind of return would you get on a one-month rental that would be better than draft picks?

Also, have ALL of these guys cleared waivers yet? These are the type of guys (with no money guaranteed next year) that would be picked up pretty quickly, it seems, if they had been placed on waivers. I assume they've cleared though.

oeo
08-31-2009, 07:10 PM
If a good portion of these players is dealt, what does that mean for us next year and beyond? Does changing the makeup of the team mean we're rebuilding?

We just added Peavy and Rios (two big-time contracts). This team will not be rebuilding, they're just trimming the rest of the fat.

ajgirl
08-31-2009, 07:10 PM
As much as I hate to say it, if we can pick up some offense with any of these three, it would be to our advantage.

Noneck
08-31-2009, 07:12 PM
These are the type of guys (with no money guaranteed next year) that would be picked up pretty quickly, it seems, if they had been placed on waivers. I assume they've cleared though.

Or do you think the Sox want something in return beside salary savings?

You think these guys are worth 1m a month?

oeo
08-31-2009, 07:14 PM
I have to assume Dye is a Type A. Not sure on Thome. What kind of return would you get on a one-year rental that would be better than draft picks?

Neither will be offered arbitration, are you crazy? They would jump all over that. And it's a one month rental.

Stoky44
08-31-2009, 07:16 PM
why did the sox start thome and dye tonight. Kind of a surprise if we were trading them.

DirtySox
08-31-2009, 07:17 PM
I have to assume Dye is a Type A. Not sure on Thome. What kind of return would you get on a one-year rental that would be better than draft picks?

Also, have ALL of these guys cleared waivers yet? These are the type of guys (with no money guaranteed next year) that would be picked up pretty quickly, it seems, if they had been placed on waivers. I assume they've cleared though.

There is not much of a chance the Sox offer arbitration to any of their free agents, therefore no draft pick compensation.

soxyess
08-31-2009, 07:17 PM
A friend of mine in San Francisco says that their talk radio is speculating the Giants make a play for Dye

WhiteSoxOnly
08-31-2009, 07:18 PM
why did the sox start thome and dye tonight. Kind of a surprise if we were trading them.

You know,they're showcasing them for the rest of the league.:wink:

Noneck
08-31-2009, 07:18 PM

They aren't going anywhere, this year. Just Williams way of telling them to find a good real estate broker.

thomas35forever
08-31-2009, 07:22 PM
A friend of mine in San Francisco says that their talk radio is speculating the Giants make a play for Dye
The San Francisco Giants: where 2005 heroes go to reunite.

whitem0nkey
08-31-2009, 07:23 PM
I love KW

Brian26
08-31-2009, 07:24 PM
There is not much of a chance the Sox offer arbitration to any of their free agents, therefore no draft pick compensation.

Good call.

Frater Perdurabo
08-31-2009, 07:24 PM

$12M payroll savings for 2010 isn't "something?" Contreras, Paulie, Thome, Dye, Linebrink and Dotel all were signed during a period when market prices were higher than they are right now. If KW could remove some of their salaries from the team, that savings could be re-invested into other players, probably resulting in equal overall talent for a lower overall price, or more overall talent for the same overall price.

Back on point, if KW somehow could work a deal for another team to pick up Paulie and his full salary for 2010, he could turn around and put that $12M back into, say, Bobby Abreu (who steals bases, gets on base more, slumps less, and hits for higher average) for RF and Hank Blalock for 1B. Then with Abreu, let Thome go, and turn his $12M into Orlando Hudson (perfect #2 hitter) for 2B and Chone Figgins (perfect leadoff man) for 3B, and thus move Beckham to SS, Alexei to the utilty role and Getz or Nix to the bench, with the other to Charlotte. So here is one possible lineup (and how good would it be with Beckham hitting ninth?):

Figgins 3B
Hudson 2B
Abreu RF
Quentin LF
Dye DH
AJ C
Rios CF
Blalock 1B
Beckham SS

Bench: Kotsay, Nix/Getz, Alexei, Castro

TDog
08-31-2009, 07:26 PM
I'd been thinking about this . . . 14-22 since then:whiner:.

However limited, my experience with no-hitters (I've never had any with perfect games), at least for Chicago teams, is that they seem to be prelude to the season falling apart. I'm not sure if that was the case with Joe Horlen's no-hitter in a season when the team did fall apart in the last week. My first experience was with Kenny Holtzman's first no-hitter, which came on the eve of the Cubs' historic 1969 collapse. The Wilson Alvarez no-hitter was followed by a frustrating fortnight that took the Sox out of the race. Last year Cubs fans acted like the Zambrano no-hitter was a taste of thing to come. Instead it was the last highlight in their season.

Historically, there is Virgil Trucks, who, before coming to the White Sox, pitched two no-hitters in a season and also pitched a one-hit shutout, although he finished the season 5-19.

No-hitters aren't negatives by any means, but a game is a game, however historic. And I have never seen a no-hitter energize a team to play better baseball, as people seemed to believe the Buehrle perfect game would do. I don't believe slumps are caused by no-hitters, though, and, really, if you follow a team that doesn't go deep into the postseason, a perfect game is a great highlight to take from it.

As for the question at hand, I'm not sure that making Thome, Dye and Linebrink available should be read as throwing in the towell. None have been playing particularly well and all could be replaced. Konerko could DH with Kotsay at first. Rios could replace Dye in the outfield. Linebrink's season has been a trainwreck.

Making those veterans available may well be a way of working to improve the White Sox for the current season.

Tragg
I still wonder if Ozzie has just lost his clubhouse. And if he has, there is no reason to keep him. He isn't much of a teacher, hes a very below average in game manager, his calling card and bread and butter was being able to hold down a clubhouse and being a motivator. If that is no longer the case, we're in trouble.I agree.

BleacherBandit
$12M payroll savings for 2010 isn't "something?" Contreras, Paulie, Thome, Dye, Linebrink and Dotel all were signed during a period when market prices were higher than they are right now. If KW could remove some of their salaries from the team, that savings could be re-invested into other players, probably resulting in equal overall talent for a lower overall price, or more overall talent for the same overall price.

Back on point, if KW somehow could work a deal for another team to pick up Paulie and his full salary for 2010, he could turn around and put that $12M back into, say, Bobby Abreu (who steals bases, gets on base more, slumps less, and hits for higher average) for RF and Hank Blalock for 1B. Then with Abreu, let Thome go, and turn his $12M into Orlando Hudson (perfect #2 hitter) for 2B and Chone Figgins (perfect leadoff man) for 3B, and thus move Beckham to SS, Alexei to the utilty role and Getz or Nix to the bench, with the other to Charlotte. So here is one possible lineup (and how good would it be with Beckham hitting ninth?):

Figgins 3B
Hudson 2B
Abreu RF
Quentin LF
Dye DH
AJ C
Rios CF
Blalock 1B
Beckham SS

Boy, I cant wait untill the offseason. Then all these silly speculations will come out of the woodwork, rubbing their sleepy eyes.

Stoky44
08-31-2009, 07:28 PM
Boy, I cant wait untill the offseason. Then all these silly speculations will come out of the woodwork, rubbing their sleepy eyes.

Couldn't agree more.

I love when people make up trades, then say this will be our lineup. I laugh everytime. As if I could not assemble a lineup with the usually crazy speculations. Apparently, if you list a line up on this site the trade or possibility is almost real.

soxfanreggie
08-31-2009, 07:29 PM
Not sure if any moves will be made, but I wouldn't be surprised to get a text message at 11:30 PM saying that someone is being moved. Moving Dye or Thome would mean some cost savings, and it makes me believe that we aren't going to sign either them in free agency. We could still sign one of them but we aren't bringing both back.

It also opens up two spots to bring people up and showcase their talents. You can give someone a shot at any position and put TCQ or PK at DH to open up someone to show his talents in LF or RF or 1B.

Noneck
08-31-2009, 07:30 PM

Figgins 3B
Hudson 2B
Abreu RF
Quentin LF
Dye DH
AJ C
Rios CF
Blalock 1B
Beckham SS

Damn, You are some kind of spendthrift. Do you know something about the change in the Sox spending habits that no one else knows?

oeo
08-31-2009, 07:31 PM

Figgins 3B
Hudson 2B
Abreu RF
Quentin LF
Dye DH
AJ C
Rios CF
Blalock 1B
Beckham SS

I think there's zero chance of that team coming together. Kenny gets in these phases where he needs to acquire a certain type of player. In 2007, it was the fireballing bullpen. In 2008, it was OBP. Now he appears to be in a phase where he wants younger, athletic players. What does that team do for us? Makes us old again. And BTW, Abreu is a worse outfielder than Dye.

I hope Kenny is creative this offseason. Pass on Figgins, get me someone who can be a mainstay in the lineup.

dickallen15
08-31-2009, 07:32 PM
I still think this is more about Peavy than anyone else. According to Levine, he took an x ray and MRI today. Hopefully, he's ok, but if there is a problem, I just pray its not going to carry over into next season.

doublem23
08-31-2009, 07:35 PM

Yes it is.

oeo
08-31-2009, 07:37 PM
Yes it is.

Obviously he predicted the future instead.

Boondock Saint

Chone Figgins?

doublem23

Uh, because there's no guarantee they're going anywhere... All we know is KW is listening to offers, but I'd be shocked if anyone other than Dotel is gone before season's end.

Stoky44
08-31-2009, 07:39 PM
If we unload Konerko and Liney, think of how we could spend. We find Dr. Brown, fire up the flux capacitor, get the DeLorean up to 88. Our line up could be:
1 - Ty Cobb (CF)
2 - Rogers Hornsby (2B)
3 - Babe Ruth (DH)
4 - Ted Williams (LF)
5 - Lou Gehrig (1B)
6 - Mike Schmidt (3B)
7 - Johnny Bench (C)
8 - Honus Wagner (SS)
9- Wille Mays (RF)

fram40
08-31-2009, 07:39 PM

It appears Ozzie started them so we could all watch them look at strike 3.

fram40
08-31-2009, 07:41 PM
If we unload Konerko and Liney, think of how we could spend. We find Dr. Brown, fire up the flux capacitor, get the DeLorean up to 88. Our line up could be:
1 - Ty Cobb (CF)
2 - Rogers Hornsby (2B)
3 - Babe Ruth (DH)
4 - Ted Williams (LF)
5 - Lou Gehrig (1B)
6 - Mike Schmidt (3B)
7 - Johnny Bench (C)
8 - Honus Wagner (SS)
9- Wille Mays (RF)

maybe they have all cryogenically frozen like Ted Williams

BTW - I would prefer Yogi over bench and Gehrig batting clean-up

tacosalbarojas
08-31-2009, 07:43 PM
1 - Ty Cobb (CF)
2 - Rogers Hornsby (2B)
3 - Babe Ruth (DH)
4 - Ted Williams (LF)
5 - Lou Gehrig (1B)
6 - Mike Schmidt (3B)
7 - Johnny Bench (C)
8 - Honus Wagner (SS)
9- Wille Mays (RF)
Mays hitting ninth vs. Beckham hitting ninth. Discuss.

doublem23
08-31-2009, 07:44 PM

I'd take Mauer over either of them.

WhiteSoxOnly
08-31-2009, 07:44 PM
It appears Ozzie started them so we could all watch them look at strike 3.
:rolling:

Martinigirl
08-31-2009, 07:47 PM

Jim Rose was calling this "White Flag 2" on ABC news. Ludicrous.

Jim Rose also once called Jose Contreras "Juan" and had to be corrected by Linda Yu. Does anyone really think of him as a sports expert? He is a moron.

Rockabilly
08-31-2009, 07:50 PM
1 - Ty Cobb (CF)
2 - Rogers Hornsby (2B)
3 - Babe Ruth (DH)
4 - Ted Williams (LF)
5 - Lou Gehrig (1B)
6 - Mike Schmidt (3B)
7 - Johnny Bench (C)
8 - Honus Wagner (SS)
9- Wille Mays (RF)

I would rather have George Brett at 3rd base

Noneck
08-31-2009, 07:51 PM
maybe they have all cryogenically frozen like Ted Williams

I would put the Babe in left and DH Williams. This way the Babe could be the set up man and then go back to left if he expects to get an at bat when the closer comes in. This would give Clemente a few innings to field in left.

thomas35forever
08-31-2009, 07:52 PM
Talk about the mother of thread hijacks.

Stoky44
08-31-2009, 07:53 PM

sorry, my bad.

TDog
08-31-2009, 07:54 PM
... I still wonder if Ozzie has just lost his clubhouse. And if he has, there is no reason to keep him. He isn't much of a teacher, hes a very below average in game manager, his calling card and bread and butter was being able to hold down a clubhouse and being a motivator. If that is no longer the case, we're in trouble.

I used to wonder if Sixto Lezcano had six toes on one or both of his feet. After all, his name was Sixto. I never visited the Brewers clubhouse and never saw him without his shoes.

Suggesting that Ozzie Guillen has lost control of his clubhouse simply because the team is underperforming is similarly speculative.

Noneck
08-31-2009, 07:54 PM

All has been said, I am done now unless something does happen.

palehozenychicty
08-31-2009, 07:56 PM
If a good portion of these players is dealt, what does that mean for us next year and beyond? Does changing the makeup of the team mean we're rebuilding? If it's true, everyone who wants those three hitters gone will get their wish and they'll deserve whatever team comes out of this. Then again, more people will come out complaining about what KW did.

I think that Konerko will be around, but you can't say that these three guys are going to round into form next year. They've been together three years and the team hasn't come close to the heights of the 2005 team. At some point, you have to move on. Babe Ruth didn't play forever. Michael Jordan didn't play forever, nor did Sandy Koufax. Change is a constant, and the starting rotation and Beckham is a good foundation to work from. If KW is running the ship, they should be alright.

dickallen15
08-31-2009, 08:10 PM
According to Gonzalez, Dye's $12 million option becomes vested if he gets traded. I think he will be in RF for the White Sox tomorrow night.

SOXfnNlansing
08-31-2009, 08:21 PM
I can't say I blame him. I threw in the towel myself yesterday. You try to dump what you've invested for whatever you can get in return.

Coolpapa
08-31-2009, 08:24 PM
[QUOTE=Noneck;2342182]No Return. Nada, zip, zilch, pocket change, laundry money, parking meter money, ooopps. I better stop there.[/QUOT
HAHA, not much huh?

kitekrazy
08-31-2009, 08:25 PM
I would think a lot of teams would want Thome.

Fans tend to over value players. Same with Dye. Most teams that are in it have better players at those positions.

The Immigrant
08-31-2009, 08:25 PM
If I woke up tomorrow morning to hear that Dye, Thome, Konerko, Linebrink and Dotel are no longer with the White Sox, I would be a happy man.

No way it happens.

kitekrazy
08-31-2009, 08:34 PM
Hey Kevin,

Since you asked, here's the VORP reality:

Thome: 24
Dye: 16.4
Konerko: 19.8
Linebrink: 5.8

I've always thought they should keep Dye...he really acted like he wanted to stay....I'd be glad to see Linebrink go, but would hate to see Konerko leave...

wonder where the team is headed....I agree with the above posts about Ozzie... I'm really concerned with how he behaves...he's always like a sideshow....I can't imagine its not a distraction.

I think they all want to stay. Some are on the backside of their careers and they can't overcome age.

whitem0nkey
08-31-2009, 08:39 PM
are there any rumors out the about any possible deals currently?

ETA: at least will know by 11

kitekrazy
08-31-2009, 08:39 PM
1 - Ty Cobb (CF)
2 - Rogers Hornsby (2B)
3 - Babe Ruth (DH)
4 - Ted Williams (LF)
5 - Lou Gehrig (1B)
6 - Mike Schmidt (3B)
7 - Johnny Bench (C)
8 - Honus Wagner (SS)
9- Wille Mays (RF)

Babe could also solve that 5th starter problem.

Frater Perdurabo
08-31-2009, 08:42 PM
I think there's zero chance of that team coming together. Kenny gets in these phases where he needs to acquire a certain type of player. In 2007, it was the fireballing bullpen. In 2008, it was OBP. Now he appears to be in a phase where he wants younger, athletic players. What does that team do for us? Makes us old again. And BTW, Abreu is a worse outfielder than Dye.

I hope Kenny is creative this offseason. Pass on Figgins, get me someone who can be a mainstay in the lineup.

I'm just illustrating what one could do with the money saved by removing Thome's and Konerko's salaries from 2010.

Coolpapa
08-31-2009, 09:00 PM
If I woke up tomorrow morning to hear that Dye, Thome, Konerko, Linebrink and Dotel are no longer with the White Sox, I would be a happy man.

No way it happens.We'll take Kenny Powers

Stoky44
08-31-2009, 09:03 PM
We'll take Kenny Powers

Who the hell is this Kenny Powers, I see his jersey everywhere.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/2009/08/custom_1251641942509_powers.jpg

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/deadspin/2009/08/powers12.jpg

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/2009/07/custom_1248699001258_powers.jpg

A. Cavatica
08-31-2009, 09:33 PM
What, no takers on Contreras?

I would be surprised but pleased to see us turn into sellers, assuming we get back something of value. If we're just going to dump one month of salary...who cares?

samurai_sox
08-31-2009, 09:39 PM
Who the hell is this Kenny Powers, I see his jersey everywhere.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/2009/08/custom_1251641942509_powers.jpg

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/deadspin/2009/08/powers12.jpg

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/2009/07/custom_1248699001258_powers.jpg

You have got to be kidding me.

veeter
08-31-2009, 09:45 PM
Fans tend to over value players. Same with Dye. Most teams that are in it have better players at those positions.I would be over valuing Thome if I said we'd get a top prospect for him. I just said a lot of teams would want him. A guy that hits homeruns in bunches, who's done it in the clutch, seems like a guy a lot of contending teams would want. Obviously in the American League. But I'm not over valuing him.

A. Cavatica
08-31-2009, 09:48 PM
Did we just see Dye's last at-bat as a White Sox? Thome's? Konerko's?

Warm up the appreciation thread!

tstrike2000
08-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Did we just see Dye's last at-bat as a White Sox? Thome's? Konerko's?

Warm up the appreciation thread!

For some reason before tonight's game started I saw this thread and thought Kenny isn't gonna throw in the towel. After the last 10 games, what was I thinking?

Lillian
08-31-2009, 10:25 PM
Well, at this point there is a chance that we could end up with the 8th worst record in baseball. Wouldn't that get us the same pick in the draft that the Sox had in the 2008 draft? That one got us Beckham.
That should offer some consolation.
The other positive is that this appears to be providing the impetus to finally break up this core of slow sluggers.

kitekrazy
08-31-2009, 10:27 PM
are there any rumors out the about any possible deals currently?

ETA: at least will know by 11

Well Subway still has their $5 footlongs.

Lip Man 1
08-31-2009, 10:29 PM
Can't blame him. He's probably so disgusted he can't sleep at nights.

Clear away the deadwood and have more room to maneuver this off season.

Lip

kitekrazy
08-31-2009, 10:35 PM
I just said a lot of teams would want him. A guy that hits homeruns in bunches, who's done it in the clutch, seems like a guy a lot of contending teams would want. Obviously in the American League. But I'm not over valuing him.

Name two.

oeo
08-31-2009, 10:37 PM
Rumors saying Thome could be on the move. Thome isn't commenting, according to Cowley.

oeo
08-31-2009, 10:40 PM
Gonzales, Merkin, and Cowley all saying he's thinking about waiving his NTC.

Tragg
08-31-2009, 10:41 PM
I would be over valuing Thome if I said we'd get a top prospect for him. I just said a lot of teams would want him. A guy that hits homeruns in bunches, who's done it in the clutch, seems like a guy a lot of contending teams would want. Obviously in the American League. But I'm not over valuing him.
I think he's real valuable to an AL team in a stretch drive.
I don't know how that translates trade value wise....but how could he not help a team?
He's the one guy I want to re-sign.

gr8mexico
08-31-2009, 10:42 PM
Name two.
The Texas Rangers , Tigers , Twins , Angels

russ99
08-31-2009, 10:42 PM
I think he's real valuable to an AL team in a stretch drive.
I don't know how that translates trade value wise....but how could he not help a team?
He's the one guy I want to re-sign.

He'd be the only guy really movable at this point, except for maybe Dotel.

Dye's option would scare away interest and Paul and Linebrink both have large salaries for future seasons along with full NTCs.

pmck003
08-31-2009, 10:51 PM
He'd be the only guy really movable at this point, except for maybe Dotel.

Dye's option would scare away interest and Paul and Linebrink both have large salaries for future seasons along with full NTCs.

Dyes' buyout option is 1 million; doesn't help but looking at the Giants and what they've done I don't think its out of the question.

A. Cavatica
08-31-2009, 10:52 PM
Podsednik available, according to Rosenthal http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/10007782/Sources:-White-Sox-dangle-all-high-priced-talent

Viva Medias B's
08-31-2009, 11:02 PM
Ranger reporting Thome may have been traded. Grobber will be coming on shortly and will follow this.

ChicagoHoosier
08-31-2009, 11:12 PM
Ranger reporting Thome may have been traded. Grobber will be coming on shortly and will follow this.

Was hoping to know the final answer before I hit the hay, but can't stay awake any longer. Will read about this in the AM. Wondering if it's only Thome.

AHSoxFan
https://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman

LA Dogers get Thome

kitekrazy
The Texas Rangers , Tigers , Twins , Angels

That's a reach. Twins? Way off base. Tigers-might be plausible.

pmck003
They've told the white sox writers in the metrodome to stay put.

http://twitter.com/JoeCStarTribune/statuses/3681661064

captainclutch24
thomes a dodger

ShoelessJoeS
08-31-2009, 11:15 PM
https://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman

LA Dogers get ThomeWhere's he gonna play?

Viva Medias B's
thomes a dodger

Grobber just confirmed. He can't DH there. Will he play the field or be used for PH duty?

captainclutch24
Contreras is a Rockie!!!!

pmck003
08-31-2009, 11:16 PM

whoa

Viva Medias B's
08-31-2009, 11:17 PM

Contreras pitching at Coors Field?

Tragg
08-31-2009, 11:18 PM
Thome would be a heck of a pinch hitter....and a nice DH if you're thinking World Series, which the Dodgers are.

I hope KW didn't stick to that silly "I won't trade with the AL in a pennant race" edict of Schueler.

kitekrazy
08-31-2009, 11:18 PM
Grobber just confirmed. He can't DH there. Will he play the field or be used for PH duty?

That one seems the most illogical. I bet the Sox don't get anything of worth in return.

DSpivack
08-31-2009, 11:19 PM
Contreras pitching at Coors Field?

I'm going to a game there in a few weeks, vs the Cardinals. I'm hoping he doesn't start that one.

kobo
08-31-2009, 11:19 PM
That one seems the most illogical. I bet the Sox don't get anything of worth in return.
If anything at all.

Rockin Robin
08-31-2009, 11:27 PM
Sox get cash and Brandon Hynick for Contreras!

Tragg
I must sheepishly ask, did we get anything for Thome, or is it just take the contract and run?

LoveYourSuit

What number will he wear?

Viva Medias B's
08-31-2009, 11:30 PM
Listening to Los Angeles' KNX-AM fire coverage online, and they just reported the Thome deal. They sounded excited.

kobo
08-31-2009, 11:32 PM
Not bad. A decent pitching prospect is more than I expected for Contreras.

kitekrazy
08-31-2009, 11:33 PM

This guy?

http://www.brandonhynick.com/Profile.html

Something smells strange. The guy threw a perfect game in AAA.

Rockin Robin
08-31-2009, 11:35 PM
This guy?

http://www.brandonhynick.com/Profile.html

Something smells strange. The guy threw a perfect game in AAA.

Yeah no kidding. I'd have taken cash and a bag of balls, but this seems too good to be true.

kitekrazy
08-31-2009, 11:35 PM
Not bad. A decent pitching prospect is more than I expected for Contreras.

He's thrown 2 no hitter and a perfect game in the minors. This is odd. They guy's arm must be close to falling off or he is older than Contreras.

Tragg
08-31-2009, 11:37 PM
Yeah no kidding. I'd have taken cash and a bag of balls, but this seems too good to be true.
I'm surprised that the Sox didn't have to send cash, to offset some contract.
But Jose did pitch some excellent games this season.

Any word on the Thome return?

RockJock07
08-31-2009, 11:38 PM
Single A infielder, Justin Fuller I think

ShoelessJoeS
08-31-2009, 11:39 PM
He's thrown 2 no hitter and a perfect game in the minors. This is odd. They guy's arm must be close to falling off or he is older than Contreras.:thinking:

whitesoxfan
08-31-2009, 11:39 PM
This last month has been a ****ing joke. That's all that needs to be said.

kitekrazy
08-31-2009, 11:41 PM
I'm surprised that the Sox didn't have to send cash, to offset some contract.
But Jose did pitch some excellent games this season.

Any word on the Thome return?

It seems to good to be true.

A. Cavatica
08-31-2009, 11:42 PM
Single A infielder, Justin Fuller I think

That's 25-year-old, weak-hitting utilityman Justin Fuller to you.

I have to wonder why a player like that is even in LA's system...

RockJock07
08-31-2009, 11:46 PM

I have to wonder why a player like that is even in LA's system...

Yeah, a 11th round pick in 06, numbers arent great, probably in their system for just a case like this. A "prospect" they could trade to acquire a vet for the playoffs. Smart move by the Dodgers.

I just feel sorry for KW. He made a good run at it, what has happened to this team the last 2 weeks?

kitekrazy
08-31-2009, 11:46 PM

As of late, that sounds like the perfect White Sox.

kitekrazy
08-31-2009, 11:49 PM
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Brandon%20Hynick&pos=P&sid=t551&t=p_pbp&pid=502001

Looking at the stats, inconsistency is his MO.

A. Cavatica
08-31-2009, 11:54 PM
Hynick looks like a fringe prospect. Fuller looks like single-A roster filler. It would make more sense if the cash was flowing from LA to Chicago to Colorado than the other way around.

hi im skot
09-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Sad day.

Rohan
09-01-2009, 12:40 AM
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Brandon%20Hynick&pos=P&sid=t551&t=p_pbp&pid=502001

Inconsistency was also the MO for Thornton, Dotel, Jenks, and Floyd.

Coop will fix em' =D

Noneck
09-01-2009, 01:10 AM
Sad day.

Sad year.

southside rocks
09-01-2009, 06:27 AM
Sad year.

Yes.

kitekrazy
09-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Inconsistency was also the MO for Thornton, Dotel, Jenks, and Floyd.

Coop will fix em' =D

Or the second coming of McDougal.

Jurr
09-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Hey, you pay these guys to produce. Production includes wins. They are not happening. Meanwhile, nobody is going to show up at USCF for a month.

You might as well get flexibility with finances, give prospects a legitimate chance to play, and continue to work on producing a balanced lineup that doesn't have to hit homers to be productive.

DeuceUnit
09-01-2009, 08:14 AM

Thats great! He will have no problem fitting in with this organization!