PDA

View Full Version : Jon Heyman: Sox are expected to exercise Dye's option

Danielgosox38
08-31-2009, 04:17 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jon_heyman/08/31/biggest.busts/1.html

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-31-2009, 04:19 PM
Why? This guy has fallen off the map in the second half and is one of the reasons we are were we are right now in the standings.

DirtySox
08-31-2009, 04:22 PM
I read this earlier and had thought it odd. I don't think it's nearly as cut and dry as Heyman makes it sound.

kittle42
08-31-2009, 04:26 PM
If he's the DH and Thome is gone, fine. I'd almost rather see them both go, but I'll take one.

Hitmen77
08-31-2009, 04:29 PM
It sounds like nothing but speculation on his part. The Sox are "expected to" pick up Dye's option. Expected by whom? By Jon Heyman, of course! After the way Dye has tanked in the 2nd half, I can't imagine that the Sox would agree to pay him $12 million next year. That's way above the market price for him.

It makes me wonder if his "Tweet" about Flowers getting called up is speculation too.

Jimmy Piersall
If he's the DH and Thome is gone, fine. I'd almost rather see them both go, but I'll take one.

Same as you.I'd rather Kenny just move on and re-shape the club
but no way do both come back.

thomas35forever
So this increases Thome's chances of leaving.

LoveYourSuit
08-31-2009, 04:31 PM
Dye > Thome

pmck003
08-31-2009, 04:33 PM
Its about who do you replace him with again.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/12/2010-mlb-free-a.html

Danielgosox38
08-31-2009, 04:37 PM
It obviously isn't in confirmed, and is probably speculation on his part. I hope Heyman is wrong. Dye has done nothing in a quite some time to prove he belongs on the 2010 team, but Thome hasn't done much either. If Heyman is right, Thome is as good as gone.

Hitmen77
08-31-2009, 04:41 PM
If the Sox wanted to keep Dye, they're better off declining the option and just negotiate a new contract with him.

Is any other team seriously going to offer anything close to $12 million for a 36 year old who is showing significant decline on defense and had a huge dropoff at the plate in the 2nd half?

doublem23
08-31-2009, 04:44 PM
If the Sox wanted to keep Dye, they're better off declining the option and just negotiate a new contract with him.

Is any other team seriously going to offer anything close to $12 million for a 36 year old who is showing significant decline on defense and had a huge dropoff at the plate in the 2nd half?

There's got to be provisions in the CBA that would prevent such a move. Do you really think the MLBPA's lawyers would allow such a massive loophole?

southside rocks
08-31-2009, 05:13 PM
Why? This guy has fallen off the map in the second half and is one of the reasons we are were we are right now in the standings.

I'm guessing that Sox management will base their decision on JD's body of work over his years here, not just on his recent slump.

Nobody but some very frustrated fans think that JD has suddenly become completely useless and should be retired. :D:

He's a far better DH option than Paul Konerko, because -- ironic as it seems to state this now -- JD doesn't customarily go into the multi-month slumps that PK can and has. A good deal of Paul's value to the organization lies in his fielding skills, and it would be unlikely that they would remove that from his job description.

JD is a good bet, IMO, to replace Thome as DH, and JD will be able to spell the outfielders, too.

TomBradley72
08-31-2009, 05:33 PM
There's got to be provisions in the CBA that would prevent such a move. Do you really think the MLBPA's lawyers would allow such a massive loophole?

It happens all the time...that's why it's an "option".

I was a big fan of Dye returning next year, but his post All Star slump is eye opening...I think it's time for the WSox to move on for the most part...DH's are relatively easy to find...I wouldn't bring him back.

It's Dankerific
08-31-2009, 05:54 PM

instead of a one year option, you can negotiate a 2 year deal. that shouldn't violate anything in the CBA as long as 2 yr deal $ > 1 yr deal $

MarySwiss
08-31-2009, 06:23 PM
Jon Whoman? :?:

Sorry, but I have never heard of this guy. And having skimmed this link, he appears to me to be just another gossip columnist, albeit sports-themed.

veeter
08-31-2009, 06:26 PM

Sorry, but I have never heard of this guy. And having skimmed this link, he appears to me to be just another gossip columnist, albeit sports-themed.Exactly. A few hours after this schmuck says the Sox are picking up JD's option, the truth comes out. An other writer paid to make guesses.

doublem23
08-31-2009, 07:28 PM
It happens all the time...that's why it's an "option".

I was a big fan of Dye returning next year, but his post All Star slump is eye opening...I think it's time for the WSox to move on for the most part...DH's are relatively easy to find...I wouldn't bring him back.

Actually, I don't think I've ever heard it happen; the Sox could renegotiate a contract extension with JD, but I've never heard of a team refusing the option on a player and then signing him as an FA later... I would be shocked if that were allowed.

Hitmen77
08-31-2009, 08:39 PM
Actually, I don't think I've ever heard it happen; the Sox could renegotiate a contract extension with JD, but I've never heard of a team refusing the option on a player and then signing him as an FA later... I would be shocked if that were allowed.

Maybe it's because a player with his option declined usually is either finished, can make just as much money elsewhere, and/or isn't really interested in coming back. Dye really doesn't fit any of these. Realistically in today's market and Dye's age and declining performance, he'd probably get $6 million elsewhere.

Didn't he say recently that he'd take a pay cut to return to the Sox next year?

The Immigrant
08-31-2009, 08:41 PM

Isn't that exactly what the Sox did with Uribe before the 2008 season?

DirtySox
08-31-2009, 08:41 PM

Sorry, but I have never heard of this guy. And having skimmed this link, he appears to me to be just another gossip columnist, albeit sports-themed.

Jon Heyman is a rather well known sports columnist. He breaks many stories regarding trades/news/free agent signings etc. He's clearly not 100% accurate on everything, but he certainly isn't some random schmuck.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-31-2009, 09:07 PM
Dye > Thome

I'd have to disagree. I think Thome is way better when it comes to being clutch. Dye couldn't hit a beach ball with a runner on 3rd and 2 outs.

The Dude
08-31-2009, 09:16 PM
Dye > Thome

Wrong

thedudeabides
08-31-2009, 09:41 PM

The rules changed in the CBA a couple of years ago. The Sox can turn down Dye's option, decline arbitration, and still negotiate a new contract. The Yankees did it with Pettite last year.

Jon Heyman is a rather well known sports columnist. He breaks many stories regarding trades/news/free agent signings etc. He's clearly not 100% accurate on everything, but he certainly isn't some random schmuck.

Heyman is pretty good. He's very well plugged in, and I'm sure he has a source, probably saying the Sox plan on bringing Dye back, but I highly doubt they exercise his option.

illini81887
08-31-2009, 10:27 PM
He broke the Peavy deal. I will take his word over many others

Lip Man 1
08-31-2009, 10:34 PM
This sounds like a 'plant' by JD's agent.

I now think the Sox will let him go. If he does return he's the DH and sometimes plays RF. Clearly something is bothering him and we've seen this before folks...in 2007, before he got a new deal.

His numbers improved a lot as soon as he signed the new contract and I'm sure getting Rios has bothered him.

Lip

Zisk77
09-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Wrong

These last few months Thome>Dye but overall Dye >Thome.

J.D. is a better hitter for average. He hits more hr as well & when interleague rolls around he can go back to the field if you want. Until this 2nd half he has been one of our best clutch hitters. Right now he is terrible though. Thome has had a lot of similar stretches.

Craig Grebeck
09-02-2009, 04:50 AM
Why not just let him walk and sign Thome on the cheap to DH?