PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Flowers Will Be Called Up Tomorrow

DirtySox
08-31-2009, 01:40 PM
T-Flow time.

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/3669294164

Noneck
08-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Do they have to use an option since its 8/31?

DirtySox
08-31-2009, 01:46 PM
I suppose the mods should edit the title to "Tyler Flowers to be Called Up."

Sounds like a September callup for me, which means he will be added to the 40 man.

kittle42
08-31-2009, 01:48 PM
T-Flow

Can we stop this before it starts?

aryzner
08-31-2009, 01:49 PM
I second this motion.

DirtySox
08-31-2009, 01:51 PM

Nope. T-Flow is what is tattooed on his arm.

veeter
08-31-2009, 01:53 PM
Can we stop this before it starts?Why can't you see the coolness of these nicknames?

DirtySox
08-31-2009, 01:56 PM
Why can't you see the coolness of these nicknames?

Quite frankly I think it's a terrible nickname, but I find it hilarious that he tattooed it on his arm so I will call him as such.

veeter
08-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Quite frankly I think it's a terrible nickname, but I find it hilarious that he tattooed it on his arm so I will call him as such.Most of these nicknames are dumb, but if he plays well for the Sox, I'll call him whatever he wants.

Over By There
08-31-2009, 02:02 PM
To be honest I usually hate those nicknames but T-Flow sounds kinda cool. :ducks:

Dibbs
08-31-2009, 02:05 PM
Lets just call him pork chop.

Boondock Saint
08-31-2009, 02:17 PM
I say let's see if he can hit the ball before we give him any nicknames.

Rohan
08-31-2009, 02:18 PM
Lets just call him pork chop.

Salami

soltrain21
08-31-2009, 02:22 PM
Every home run he hits will be known as "Flower Powers."

October26
08-31-2009, 02:24 PM

Seriously, Boondock, I was thinking the same thing. Can Flowers hit and throw runners out at 2nd base?

rdwj
08-31-2009, 02:24 PM

ya - really

Fielding would be nice too - and perhaps the ability to call a game

Nellie_Fox
08-31-2009, 02:28 PM
T-Flow time.:gah:

Can we stop this before it starts?:clap:

Daver
08-31-2009, 02:32 PM
ya - really

Fielding would be nice too - and perhaps the ability to call a game

There are no catchers playing anymore that calls a game.

DirtySox
08-31-2009, 02:36 PM
It seems alot of people are unaware of what type of player Tyler (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/F/Tyler-Flowers.shtml) is.

Many question whether he will remain a catcher. It seems he is rather mediocre behind the plate, but he is still somewhat new to the position so there is still room for improvement. He can be played at 1B, C, and DH.

As far as hitting, expect many strikeouts, many walks, and big power potential.

Chez
08-31-2009, 02:38 PM
And so the curtain now comes down on the Ramon Castro era.

Boondock Saint
08-31-2009, 02:45 PM

It's a September call up. I wouldn't call it the end of anything.

Bobby Thigpen
08-31-2009, 02:53 PM
It's the end of August...

35th&Shields
08-31-2009, 02:53 PM

I'd call it the end of August..........

Sorry, couldn't resist.

DumpJerry
08-31-2009, 02:56 PM
Do they have to use an option since its 8/31?

Tomorrow is September 1st. Jeez.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

:tealtutor:
....and tomorrow is not the end of August.

soxfanreggie
08-31-2009, 02:58 PM

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Say hello to my lil' friend...
:tealtutor:

...his name is Teal :smile:

ike from nj
08-31-2009, 03:35 PM
seriously flowers is an important prospect. catcher is a position in need of an upgrade despite aj's past successes. hopefully flowers is more than just another prospect but a player with a long term future at a key position.

twinsuck
08-31-2009, 03:42 PM
Let's call him Tulips.

thomas35forever
08-31-2009, 03:52 PM
Had to expect this. We're not going to the playoffs, so we might as well get a glimpse of the future.

SaltyPretzel
08-31-2009, 03:53 PM

Good thing his first name isn't Patrick or Peter.

spawn
08-31-2009, 03:56 PM
I was always taught that Sept. 1 is the beginning of September. :shrug:

BadBobbyJenks
08-31-2009, 04:01 PM
T-Flow a no no? I say a go go.

JermaineDye05
08-31-2009, 04:05 PM
It seems alot of people are unaware of what type of player Tyler (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/F/Tyler-Flowers.shtml) is.

Many question whether he will remain a catcher. It seems he is rather mediocre behind the plate, but he is still somewhat new to the position so there is still room for improvement. He can be played at 1B, C, and DH.

As far as hitting, expect many strikeouts, many walks, and big power potential.

So essentially we're getting a right handed Jim Thome in his prime.

Zisk77
08-31-2009, 04:09 PM

Actually ours (and most) do call their own game. They only look to the dugout to see if the manager wants a pitch out.

October26
08-31-2009, 04:12 PM
I have updated my avatar (changed it to flowers) in honor of Tyler Flowers being brought up by the Sox. :tongue:

DumpJerry
08-31-2009, 04:15 PM
T-Flow a no no? I say a go go.
No no.

twinsuck
08-31-2009, 04:15 PM
I have updated my avatar (changed it to flowers) in honor of Tyler Flowers being brought up by the Sox. :tongue:
You need to change those to tulips, tulips starts with t, get it?? :D:

October26
08-31-2009, 04:20 PM
You need to change those to tulips, tulips starts with t, get it?? :D:

Okay, Twinsuck, but just for you. Tulips it is - for now! :D:

Daver
08-31-2009, 04:21 PM
Actually ours (and most) do call their own game. They only look to the dugout to see if the manager wants a pitch out.

Calling pitches is not calling a game, and no catcher in professional baseball calls a game.

kittle42
08-31-2009, 04:34 PM
Calling pitches is not calling a game, and no catcher in professional baseball calls a game.

What is the difference between the two?

rdwj
08-31-2009, 05:15 PM

I was wondering the same thing - thought calling pitches WAS calling the game

Daver
08-31-2009, 05:26 PM

I've explained this three or four times already, calling pitches is just that, calling pitches, calling a game is using the scouting reports you have memorized to call pitches, position fielders both in and out, all based on the hitters tendencies. The catcher calls pitchouts, indicates pitcher throwovers when the pitcher is not holding a runner, decides when and whom gets a HBP, to protect the hitters, and calls intentional walks. Back when catchers truly wore the tools of ignorance the manager communicated with the catcher through the second baseman because the catcher never looked into the dugout. Catchers are no longer taught these skills, Fisk was the last true field general the Sox had. Nowadays wearing the tools is a much easier task than it was in past eras.

GoGoCrede
08-31-2009, 05:38 PM
Seriously, Boondock, I was thinking the same thing. Can Flowers hit and throw runners out at 2nd base?

Oh, your avatar! Beautiful! I like flowers. And I like Flowers. Hey-o!

EMachine10
08-31-2009, 05:40 PM
To be honest I usually hate those nicknames but T-Flow sounds kinda cool. :ducks:
I second this. I actually don't really like Bacon as a nickname - although I love the player.

kittle42
08-31-2009, 05:42 PM
I've explained this three or four times already, calling pitches is just that, calling pitches, calling a game is using the scouting reports you have memorized to call pitches, position fielders both in and out, all based on the hitters tendencies. The catcher calls pitchouts, indicates pitcher throwovers when the pitcher is not holding a runner, decides when and whom gets a HBP, to protect the hitters, and calls intentional walks. Back when catchers truly wore the tools of ignorance the manager communicated with the catcher through the second baseman because the catcher never looked into the dugout. Catchers are no longer taught these skills, Fisk was the last true field general the Sox had. Nowadays wearing the tools is a much easier task than it was in past eras.

I understand - one question, though - don't catchers call pitches based on scouting reports and tendencies? In a similar vain, don't pitchers who generally call their own games do the same?

TDog
08-31-2009, 05:58 PM

Mark Buehrle never shakes off his catcher, but I believe the pitches are called from the bench.

I am surprised to read that Flowers will be called up, in part because he wasn't on the 40-man roster. Also, I have heard he lacks defensive skills necessary to catch in the major leagues. The quality of scouting reports, however, can be wildly inconsistent.

Daver
08-31-2009, 06:12 PM
I understand - one question, though - don't catchers call pitches based on scouting reports and tendencies? In a similar vain, don't pitchers who generally call their own games do the same?

Yes, but for the most part they go more by what the pitching coach tells them on how to approach certain hitters. I always called pitches based more on how the hitter was aligned to the plate than from his tendencies.

twinsuck
08-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Okay, Twinsuck, but just for you. Tulips it is - for now! :D:
Thank you!! They're so pretty too!

UofCSoxFan
08-31-2009, 09:11 PM

This seems almost counter to everything my catchers did in high school and college. The catcher would call the pitches but would look over to the dugout before each pitch to see if the coach wanted to call a pitch out or a pick off, or intentionally walk a guy, or call for a specific pitch (ie if no sign was given or a dummy sign was given it was up to the catcher to call). Granted there is less advanced scouting there than in pro baseball obviously, but generally the coaches would discuss with the catcher before the game how they wanted to approach certain hitters, but would far from call every single pitch and would let the catcher's rapport with the pitcher take over.

I don't know...I just don't by what you are saying. It's not like Ozzie is sitting with a scouting report on his lap calling every pitch according to that book.

Daver
08-31-2009, 09:20 PM
This seems almost counter to everything my catchers did in high school and college. The catcher would call the pitches but would look over to the dugout before each pitch to see if the coach wanted to call a pitch out or a pick off, or intentionally walk a guy, or call for a specific pitch (ie if no sign was given or a dummy sign was given it was up to the catcher to call). Granted there is less advanced scouting there than in pro baseball obviously, but generally the coaches would discuss with the catcher before the game how they wanted to approach certain hitters, but would far from call every single pitch and would let the catcher's rapport with the pitcher take over.

I don't know...I just don't by what you are saying. It's not like Ozzie is sitting with a scouting report on his lap calling every pitch according to that book.

How old are you? That would tell the tale, the trend of catchers not calling games began right around the late seventies early eighties, I was the only catcher in the Chicago area that called games at the HS level in the early eighties, the rest of them called pitches and relied on the coaching staff to handle the rest.

Frater Perdurabo
08-31-2009, 09:45 PM
the trend of catchers not calling games began right around the late seventies early eighties

Why do you think that this happened? Again, I'm asking your opinion because I respect it; I never wore the tools and last played organized baseball during the summer after fifth grade (1987).

Daver
08-31-2009, 10:06 PM
Why do you think that this happened? Again, I'm asking your opinion because I respect it; I never wore the tools and last played organized baseball during the summer after fifth grade (1987).

I know why it happened, the advent of free agency, organizations were not going to allow a player that could walk away from the organization to control that much of the on field action, or have that kind of access to scouting information. The dumbing down of the position came at this point, and degenerated to the point that guys with marginal defensive skills that are offensive threats are viable starters at every level of the game, wearing the tools in todays game is a relatively light load.

TheVulture
09-01-2009, 06:09 PM

I'm wondering - does it rhyme with no or now?

dickallen15
09-01-2009, 07:49 PM
How old are you? That would tell the tale, the trend of catchers not calling games began right around the late seventies early eighties, I was the only catcher in the Chicago area that called games at the HS level in the early eighties, the rest of them called pitches and relied on the coaching staff to handle the rest.

Ozzie is on record saying the bench does not call pitches for the White Sox. LaRussa used to and still does. Its another reason games are so long.

GoSox2K3
09-01-2009, 07:57 PM
They may as well put Flowers in the lineup tonight. Let's get him some at bats and he can't be any worse than the other stiffs in our corpseball lineup.

Daver
09-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Ozzie is on record saying the bench does not call pitches for the White Sox. LaRussa used to and still does. Its another reason games are so long.

Where did I say anything about the bench calling pitches?

october23sp
09-01-2009, 08:43 PM

It wasn't about calling pitches. It was about literally controlling or "calling" every little thing that happens in the game.

Hitmen77
09-02-2009, 12:06 AM
Let's just play Flowers. Dye is going to go 0-for-4 for us anyway. It's not like Flowers is going to do any worse that that!

....we may as well give those at bats to a kid with a future on our team.