PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the September call ups?

Hitmen77
08-31-2009, 08:28 AM
As of tomorrow, teams are able to expand their rosters up to 40. Any thoughts on who the Sox will call up for the final month of the season? Carlos Torres? Others?

Wise should be eligible to come off the *ahem* DL sometime this week. So is Getz, but I haven't heard if he's ready to return yet.

Jim Shorts
08-31-2009, 08:30 AM
As of tomorrow, teams are able to expand their rosters up to 40. Any thoughts on who the Sox will call up for the final month of the season? Carlos Torres? Others?

Wise should be eligible to come off the *ahem* DL sometime this week. So is Getz, but I haven't heard if he's ready to return yet.

Heard this morning that they will probably leave the kid pitcher (haddon, harden, sorry) on the farm so as to not start his clock.

Flowers will be coming up though.

Madvora
08-31-2009, 08:33 AM
Heard this morning that they will probably leave the kid pitcher (haddon, harden, sorry) on the farm so as to not start his clock.

Flowers will be coming up though.
Do September call ups really count the same way as calling up minor leaguers at other parts of the season?
Since, the Sox are mathematically still in it, I would expect relievers and lots or relievers.

soxfanreggie
08-31-2009, 08:35 AM

Are you thinking of Daniel Hudson?

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=543339 (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=543339)

Have to love that stat line. Great progression this past year, and you have to love his height.

Chez
08-31-2009, 08:52 AM
Josh Fields, a third catcher (Flowers), Torres and a couple of arms in the bullpen. Plus Wise and Getz.

ode to veeck
08-31-2009, 09:03 AM
Getz and any throwing arms would be most valuable, and Wise for Burly Mon's sept perfecto

michned
08-31-2009, 09:28 AM
Josh Fields, a third catcher (Flowers), Torres and a couple of arms in the bullpen. Plus Wise and Getz.

I don't think Flowers is on the 40-man so they would have to make a roster move to put him there. Currently, Cole Armstrong is the third catcher on the 40-man roster.

Hitmen77
08-31-2009, 09:42 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=cws

fyi: This is the current 40-man roster according to the Sox website. If they wanted to make room for another person on the 40-man, I can easily see a DFA for Bartolo Colon.

What is the significance/consequence of moving a current minor leaguer off the 40-man roster to make room for someone else?

eriqjaffe
08-31-2009, 09:55 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=cws

fyi: This is the current 40-man roster according to the Sox website. If they wanted to make room for another person on the 40-man, I can easily see a DFA for Bartolo Colon.

What is the significance/consequence of moving a current minor leaguer off the 40-man roster to make room for someone else?I could also see Contreras getting DFA'd.

AFAIK, anybody on the 40-man roster would need to go through waivers, whether they're on the big-league roster or not.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-31-2009, 10:51 AM
Wise and Getz are locks once ready to come off the D.L. Same with Fields. A third catcher, whom I would guess would be Armstrong, simply because he's on the 40-Man and I wouldn't call Flowers up until next year if I was the Sox. No need to start using his options up yet. Torres and I bet another reliever like Link or Nunez.

soxfanreggie
08-31-2009, 11:58 AM
The further we slide down the standings, the more I think we will see some decent PT for some of these call-ups, as an audition for next year.

Sockinchisox
08-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Flowers is getting called up tomorrow according to Heyman.

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/3669294164

JB98
08-31-2009, 09:46 PM
Wise and Getz are locks once ready to come off the D.L. Same with Fields. A third catcher, whom I would guess would be Armstrong, simply because he's on the 40-Man and I wouldn't call Flowers up until next year if I was the Sox. No need to start using his options up yet. Torres and I bet another reliever like Link or Nunez.

I want to see what Nunez has. My hunch is he can help us in 2010.

Tragg
08-31-2009, 10:12 PM
There need to be some call-downs as well. There's no reason for organizational minor leaguers to play an inning in September.

Young pitchers and real prospects need to be up here. 2007 was ridiculous - 80 year old Myers was wheeled out there night after night while Gio sat on the bench.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-31-2009, 11:47 PM
I want to see what Nunez has. My hunch is he can help us in 2010.

Same here. He really didn't get too long of a look earlier in the season.

A. Cavatica
08-31-2009, 11:59 PM
I hope we call up Justin Fuller. Then we'll have someone Wise can pinch-hit for!

JermaineDye05
09-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Hudson.

I don't know how I feel about it but I have a gut feeling that they'll call him up to get a couple starts before the season's end.

Tragg
09-01-2009, 12:03 AM
I hope we call up Justin Fuller. Then we'll have someone Wise can pinch-hit for!
Stop it!
You're killing me.
The thought of Wise getting a serious look...yikes

Hitmen77
09-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Any official word on who gets called up in addition to Flowers? Since the Sox have pulled the plug on the season, I'd like to see some minor league hopefuls get some play time in September.

kitekrazy
09-01-2009, 10:31 AM
There need to be some call-downs as well. There's no reason for organizational minor leaguers to play an inning in September.

Young pitchers and real prospects need to be up here. 2007 was ridiculous - 80 year old Myers was wheeled out there night after night while Gio sat on the bench.

I like this. I don't really care to see this season's failures called back up.

salty99
09-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Getz, Wise, Flowers, Fields, and Torres called up.

KMcMahon817
09-01-2009, 02:03 PM
I dont understand why we dont call up a bullpen arm or two? Why not call up Nunez, Rodriguez, or Wasserman, or a combination of two? Not saying to run out there every night, but just for some insurance for dire straits.

CWSpalehoseCWS
09-01-2009, 02:35 PM
I dont understand why we dont call up a bullpen arm or two? Why not call up Nunez, Rodriguez, or Wasserman, or a combination of two? Not saying to run out there every night, but just for some insurance for dire straits.

Maybe they're waiting for Charlotte's season to end?

KMcMahon817
09-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Maybe they're waiting for Charlotte's season to end?

Their season ended a long time ago.

soxfanreggie
09-01-2009, 02:57 PM
So Fields will get time at 1st and DH? I sure hope he'll only see 1 or 2 games at 3rd. No sense in taking Bacon out of there if that's where he's going to play next season.