PDA

View Full Version : Strange Schedule

LITTLE NELL
08-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Have followed baseball and the Sox since 1953 and in all those years I don't remember a team playing 3 straight road series against an opponent like we are doing with the Twins. I know for the most part the schedule evens out with 9 at home and 9 away but this is sort of bizarre especially with our record in the Dumpdome. For the record we played 2 series at home against the Twins in April and May, then the 3 in Minny and 1 at home in Sept.

hawkjt
08-30-2009, 12:38 PM
I think the computer regularly screws the Sox due to their location in the central part of the country. So they send the Sox to the west coast for 3 game series, and send them out 3-4 times. Other teams, 2-3 times.

Getting all 15 of our games vs NY and Boston after the trading deadline is also very strange, and a disadvantage...while the twins play a cupcake schedule the last two months.

I really think the geographical locale of Chicago results in the computer screwing the sox year after year.

tsoxman
08-30-2009, 01:05 PM
I think the computer regularly screws the Sox due to their location in the central part of the country. So they send the Sox to the west coast for 3 game series, and send them out 3-4 times. Other teams, 2-3 times.

Getting all 15 of our games vs NY and Boston after the trading deadline is also very strange, and a disadvantage...while the twins play a cupcake schedule the last two months.

I really think the geographical locale of Chicago results in the computer screwing the sox year after year.

I also don't like playing Boston and NY late in the season, especially the Yankees. It would be nice to play them in April or May for a change, when they tend to get off to slow starts.

LITTLE NELL
08-30-2009, 01:21 PM
I also don't like playing Boston and NY late in the season, especially the Yankees. It would be nice to play them in April or May for a change, when they tend to get off to slow starts.
I agree, seems like every year we get the BoSox in late August and September.
With all the clout JR has you would think the Sox would have a more favorable schedule.

DumpJerry
08-30-2009, 02:06 PM

Have you checked the location of Minneapolis lately? Detroit, too. Kansas City, St. Louis, the Chicago Cubs, and Milwaukee Brewers are also in the same location boat as the Sox. That's 23% of the MLB right there.

getonbckthr
08-30-2009, 04:03 PM
About the schedule making. Wouldn't it make sense for attendance reasons to have these series in April and May when the weather effects the turnout? If its 45-50 degrees I won't go see Kansas City or Seattle ot Toronto. I will go see Boston and New York.

Brian26
08-30-2009, 04:27 PM

As recently as '07, the Sox played the Yankees in two home series before the end of the first week of June.

Lip Man 1
08-30-2009, 05:13 PM
From Bob Grim's WSI Interview:

ML: You and another long time White Sox employee, Howard Pizer, are the contacts between the Sox and major league baseball regarding the schedule and I know a lot of fans at White Sox Interactive post about the strangeness of it the past few years, just some really crazy things. What’s going on with that?

BG: “There have been some strange things and we can’t get an explanation from baseball on them. I know Jerry has asked me to do a lot of checking on things, comparing schedules, which I did and provided him with that information. He is very involved in trying to work out the best possible schedule for our team and our fans.”

ML: What issues do the Sox have with the schedule?

BG: “There’s been a few. We can’t seem to ever get the Yankees here at home during the summer on a weekend anymore. We’ve been getting them during the week in April or in September. The Indians meanwhile have gotten them twice in Cleveland on a weekend during the summer months just in one season. I know that baseball likes to try to help teams that may be hurting at the gate but the Indians led the league in attendance in the 90’s, they aren’t struggling.”

“Another issue that we have is these short West Coast road trips. Twice this season we’ve had to go to the coast just for three games. We played the Dodgers three times then came back to Chicago and in the middle of August we have to go to Oakland just for three games. And last year baseball was so late in bringing out the schedule that we lost valuable sales time in September trying to get season tickets sold. Folks like to know who the Sox will be playing and we try to give them an idea in September. Last year baseball kept revising the schedule so much that we couldn’t do it because we didn’t have the information. We were told for example that the Mets were going to come to Chicago on a weekend which would have meant a big crowd, then when the final schedule came out, the league sent the Mets to Detroit.”

“And the interleague schedule now just has no sense to it. We’ve played the Pirates three consecutive seasons but we haven’t played the Brewers, a team only 90 miles away, since 2000.”

“I know a lot of people thought the issue with the schedule was due to the husband and wife team that was putting them together so baseball changed to different folks. Then the thinking was that the issue was because many of the people working on the schedule spent the majority of their time in the National League, that maybe they didn’t understand the A.L. or the rivalries but apparently that’s not the issue either. I honestly think though that baseball does favor certain teams regarding the schedule.”

--------------
Some things have changed a little since this interview but yes,the schedule still doesn't seem to be doing the Sox any favors.

Lip

fuzzy_patters
08-30-2009, 05:24 PM
From Bob Grim's WSI Interview:

ML: You and another long time White Sox employee, Howard Pizer, are the contacts between the Sox and major league baseball regarding the schedule and I know a lot of fans at White Sox Interactive post about the strangeness of it the past few years, just some really crazy things. What’s going on with that?

BG: “There have been some strange things and we can’t get an explanation from baseball on them. I know Jerry has asked me to do a lot of checking on things, comparing schedules, which I did and provided him with that information. He is very involved in trying to work out the best possible schedule for our team and our fans.”

ML: What issues do the Sox have with the schedule?

BG: “There’s been a few. We can’t seem to ever get the Yankees here at home during the summer on a weekend anymore. We’ve been getting them during the week in April or in September. The Indians meanwhile have gotten them twice in Cleveland on a weekend during the summer months just in one season. I know that baseball likes to try to help teams that may be hurting at the gate but the Indians led the league in attendance in the 90’s, they aren’t struggling.”

“Another issue that we have is these short West Coast road trips. Twice this season we’ve had to go to the coast just for three games. We played the Dodgers three times then came back to Chicago and in the middle of August we have to go to Oakland just for three games. And last year baseball was so late in bringing out the schedule that we lost valuable sales time in September trying to get season tickets sold. Folks like to know who the Sox will be playing and we try to give them an idea in September. Last year baseball kept revising the schedule so much that we couldn’t do it because we didn’t have the information. We were told for example that the Mets were going to come to Chicago on a weekend which would have meant a big crowd, then when the final schedule came out, the league sent the Mets to Detroit.”

“And the interleague schedule now just has no sense to it. We’ve played the Pirates three consecutive seasons but we haven’t played the Brewers, a team only 90 miles away, since 2000.”

“I know a lot of people thought the issue with the schedule was due to the husband and wife team that was putting them together so baseball changed to different folks. Then the thinking was that the issue was because many of the people working on the schedule spent the majority of their time in the National League, that maybe they didn’t understand the A.L. or the rivalries but apparently that’s not the issue either. I honestly think though that baseball does favor certain teams regarding the schedule.”

--------------
Some things have changed a little since this interview but yes,the schedule still doesn't seem to be doing the Sox any favors.

Lip

At least some things have improved. I remember when we went about 8-9 years without opening at home while Cleveland always did. It was always difficult for the Sox to get off to a fast start, and they were playing catch-up from the beginning.

Lip Man 1
08-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Fuzzy:

The White Sox SPECIFICALLY requested NOT to open at home for a number of years. The first time they changed that request was in 1990 because it was the last year of the original Comiskey Park.

The Sox have always felt that the weather is usually poor, they'd get a good opening day crowd then basically nothing for the rest of the week.

I understand what you're saying but I also see the Sox point of view here.

Lip