PDA

View Full Version : Sox vs Cubs

october23sp
08-30-2009, 01:14 AM
Will it be the White Sox one game down the stretch that feels like it has meaning? It will be nice to forget about the record and enjoy the rivalry (if we win, of course).

Nellie_Fox
08-30-2009, 01:35 AM
I hate inter-league play.

DumpJerry
08-30-2009, 09:20 AM
What kind of meaning? It has tremendous meaning to me. If the Sox win, I win the bet with the Cub fan in my office and he buys my lunch at Trattoria Isabella. If the Cubs win, we split the check.

CubKilla
08-30-2009, 11:55 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Contrera's should be scheduled to start.

Looks like a split this season if that's the case.

DSpivack
08-30-2009, 12:07 PM
To watch what, two mediocre under-achieving teams that have quit on the season?

thomas35forever
08-30-2009, 01:20 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Contrera's should be scheduled to start.

Looks like a split this season if that's the case.
The good news is the Sox have only made the playoffs in seasons that's happened.

soxfanreggie
08-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Unless we can go on a big winning streak, this will be the only game for me that has financial meaning (win the bet vs a split), as I will not win a World Series bet if we don't make the playoffs.

areilly
08-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Watching the Cubs lose is always fun. Watching the 2009 Sox is generally not. This will be a strange game.

Lip Man 1
08-30-2009, 04:27 PM
The game doesn't matter, both teams are as dead as doornails.

Lip

JB98
08-30-2009, 04:52 PM
I'd actually recommend not bothering with the game on Thursday. The fifth starter spot will be due up for the Sox. That means Contreras or some dope from AAA will be on the mound for us. Waste of time.

Dick Allen
08-30-2009, 05:28 PM
I'd actually recommend not bothering with the game on Thursday. The fifth starter spot will be due up for the Sox. That means Contreras or some dope from AAA will be on the mound for us. Waste of time.A fitting end to the road trip.:puking:

SI1020
08-30-2009, 05:39 PM
I hate inter-league play. I agree for a variety of reasons. The emphasis, the intensity, the angst over playing the Cubs is way out of line. I would gladly settle for a losing record with Cubs in any given year if the Sox were headed for another championship. The games against our division rivals are far more important in the long run.

october23sp
08-30-2009, 05:41 PM
I agree for a variety of reasons. The emphasis, the intensity, the angst over playing the Cubs is way out of line. I would gladly settle for a losing record with Cubs in any given year if the Sox were headed for another championship. The games against our division rivals are far more important in the long run.

That is why I started this thread. Since this season is already pretty much dead, this can be our World Series game 7. We aren't headed for another championship so lets beat the Cubs. One last game to really get into.

SI1020
08-30-2009, 06:11 PM
That is why I started this thread. Since this season is already pretty much dead, this can be our World Series game 7. We aren't headed for another championship so lets beat the Cubs. One last game to really get into. I hear you. In spite of what I posted I always have the angst and intensity when the Sox play the Cubs.

NLaloosh
08-30-2009, 06:14 PM
There are no games left for the Sox that have meaning.

35th and Shields
08-30-2009, 06:21 PM
There are no games left for the Sox that have meaning.

Six games left against Detroit?

1908<2005
08-30-2009, 06:37 PM
The game doesn't matter, both teams are as dead as doornails.

Lip

This.

sullythered
08-30-2009, 07:11 PM
This.
Yup. It's "Go Bears" time.

TommyJohn
08-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Yup. It's "Go Bears" time.
Somebody here has to say it-**** the Bears. **** the Bears. **** them.

The Immigrant
08-30-2009, 09:09 PM
I have tickets for this game. No way I'm going if Contreras is our starting pitcher.

Foulke You
09-01-2009, 01:42 AM
Lip's right. Both teams are deader than dead. This is perhaps the most meaningless Sox vs Cubs game since the old Crosstown Classics when Michael Jordan played in RF and Steve Lyons pitched for us. Too bad...this could have been a real barn burner if both teams were fighting for the pennant.

That being said, I hope the Sox win just so I don't have to hear Cubs fans chirping like they won something important. Many are too dumb to realize their team is out of it.

DumpJerry
09-01-2009, 06:58 AM
I have tickets for this game. No way I'm going if Contreras is our starting pitcher.
No worries about that happening now. Enjoy the game and please bring home a winner, I want my lunch paid for by the Cub fan in my office.

hawkjt
09-01-2009, 09:47 AM
It is important to me personally to win the season series. There are 30 games left, Sox are 6 back...win the next two, and beat the Cubs and get to 4 back by the time the homestand starts. I never give up til the math says to give up.

Sox will probably go with Torres vs the Cubs....win the game young man, and you will help your case in the spring.

thechico
09-02-2009, 05:52 PM
Way back when, it used to matter to me. Now, the allure of interleague play has worn off.
I'll be at work during the game and couldn't care less.

MarySwiss
09-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Six games left against Detroit?

Yep! Sorry, but I refuse to give up. It's unlikely, but not impossible.

TDog
09-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Somebody here has to say it-**** the Bears. **** the Bears. **** them.

I'm glad someone said it.

With all the happy reference to the Bears in the Clubhouse, I am starting to hate Bears fans as much as I hate Cubs fans and wishing their team ill. And I know many Bears fans are great people, but people have been suggesting there was nothing to look forward to in 2009 but the Bears since April. I have found it irritating since April.

Johnny Mostil
09-02-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm glad someone said it.

With all the happy reference to the Bears in the Clubhouse, I am starting to hate Bears fans as much as I hate Cubs fans and wishing their team ill. And I know many Bears fans are great people, but people have been suggesting there was nothing to look forward to in 2009 but the Bears since April. I have found it irritating since April.

Me three. I just about lost it this morning when, in a Clubhouse thread, a poster with a user name boosting the Big Cubs implied an OP with a user name referencing Nellie Fox was a Cubs fan. (I thought the OP was a bit over the top, but seriously--a newbie Cubs fan?) Honestly, if it's sports but doesn't involve the Sox, I couldn't care less. Well, I guess I could, but not much.

And all Sox games have meaning while the team is still mathematically alive, no? Though I'd blame nobody for paying less attention these days . . .