PDA

View Full Version : Konerko, Dye, and Thome

ndgt10
08-29-2009, 12:56 PM
IMO, 2 out of 3 have to go after this year. So who do you keep?

Konerko: Slumps regularly, sulks, drops his bat in disgust most of the time, base clogger, double play machine, losing power with age, limited range in the field, great at picking balls for the infielders.

Dye: Prone to long slumps, decent right fielder, plus arm, base clogger (lesser extent than the other two), appears to be aging fast.

Thome: K machine, no chance against good lefties, all or nothing hitter, base clogger, most power out of the three, can't play the field.

hi im skot
08-29-2009, 12:57 PM
So, what you're saying is they all suck?

LITTLE NELL
08-29-2009, 01:03 PM
Paulie stays. Thank You JD and Jimmy for some great moments.

hi im skot
08-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Why, exactly, do two of them have to go?

palehozenychicty
08-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Paulie stays. Thank You JD and Jimmy for some great moments.

What he said. These guys have been great for us, but it's time to move on.

JB98
08-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Konerko stays for sure. He's prone to long slumps, but he's easily the best situational hitter of the three. Konerko actually gets the man in from third base with less than two outs the majority of the time.

LoveYourSuit
08-29-2009, 02:39 PM
I hope all 3 go but I guess the two we have control of letting go are Thome and Dye by default.

The question is who replaces them?

captainclutch24
08-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Konerko will be back. He is atleast consistent in where his numbers will be come seasons end. With the way Dye is performing I don't see him coming back unless he takes a huge discount. Atleast 1 of these 3 needs to go but I am hoping 2 of them go as I am tired of seeing Thome strikeout all the time or ground out. The only thing he seems to do is hit hrs and doubles everyonce in awhile

Konerko05
08-29-2009, 03:05 PM
I hope all 3 go but I guess the two we have control of letting go are Thome and Dye by default.

The question is who replaces them?

Brandon Allen.

On a serious note, weren't the Sox rumored to be going after Bobby Abreu last off season? If Dye leaves, it's a realistic possibility. I have heard he is good friends with Guillen.

Abreu is a left handed, good on base guy with above average speed. Sounds like a perfect fit.

DSpivack
08-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Offense is our biggest problem this season. I fail to see how getting rid of 2 of the 3 will help us improve next season, unless replaced by equal hitters, and I don't think there will be many available on the market.

Rockabilly
08-29-2009, 03:14 PM
I would say good bye to all 3..

Get some younger, faster players in the starting lineup

Red Barchetta
08-29-2009, 03:15 PM
I think Thome signs a 1-year deal with the Indians and retires there

I think Dye signs with another AL team and starts to DH

I think we keep Konerko and perhaps move him into DH once they feel Viciedo is ready as they will probably move him from 2B to 1B

Craig Grebeck
08-29-2009, 04:18 PM
I would say good bye to all 3..

Get some younger, faster players in the starting lineup
Lord knows that fast guys usually DH and play 1B...

Lip Man 1
08-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Until four weeks ago I was advocating keeping Dye and Konerko.

Now? Dye and Thome have to go...end of discussion.

Lip

Tragg
08-29-2009, 04:21 PM
I think Dye goes; Thome stays only because we should be able to bring him back at 1/3 price.
Konerko still has time on his contract, so that's not an issue, unless Frater can negotiate a trade.

Craig Grebeck
08-29-2009, 04:27 PM
I really want to know who people want to get to replace a ~.380 OBP and ~.500 SLG at the DH spot.

Jim will come at an enormous discount. He deserves to come back.

Hitmen77
08-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Konerko isn't going anywhere for 2010. He's owed $12 million and has a full no trade clause.

Konerko, Dye, and Thome are now completing 4 full seasons as the "heart of our lineup". This was supposedly one of the most fearsome 3-4-5s in the leauge, but IMO this has mostly been a bust. Rarely are the 3 guys clicking at the same time. More often than not one or more of them are in an ice cold slump that just kills us.

I would say at this point that both Dye and Thome should go for 2010. They're both past their prime and likely won't be any better next year.

Offense is our biggest problem this season. I fail to see how getting rid of 2 of the 3 will help us improve next season, unless replaced by equal hitters, and I don't think there will be many available on the market.

This is the challenge for KW. It is easy for us (me included) to say that Dye and Thome should go. But, you're right that this leaves huge holes to fill at RF and DH. Thome and Dye made a combined $24.5 million in 2009. I don't know if wiping those salaries off the books (plus Jose's $10 million) will give the Sox payroll flexibility to upgrade at these positions. Maybe not since they are now adding Peavy's $15 million and Rios's $9.7 million for 2010.

kitekrazy
08-29-2009, 04:41 PM
To me a DH is not a hole to fill. The one they have now gets injured at that position. This team hasn't had the best success at filling the CF hole while filling the DH hole. A DH is useless to half of the league. Why not have a DH by committee?

I think signing Thome is not the best move.

Hitmen77
08-29-2009, 04:45 PM
....also I'd like to add that I hope, if they get rid of both Thome and Dye, their idea of our starting OF isn't Quentin-Rios-Pods. Pods is not the answer either. I doubt he'll repeat as a .300 hitter next year and his defense is just brutal.

We need to build around the following starters:
C: AJ
1B: PK
2B: Getz
SS: Ramirez
3B: Beckham
OF: Quentin
OF: Rios

Oh and also, we need a 5th starter that isn't the likes of Colon, Contreras, Marquez, or any other has-been or mediocre minor leaguer! These starts with Jose and Freddy while we're supposedly making a run for the playoffs are a complete joke.

kitekrazy
08-29-2009, 04:47 PM
and his defense is just brutal.

The perfect White Sox.

Dibbs
08-29-2009, 05:23 PM
I would say all three if we still had Brandon Allen. I say keep Konerko only.

It depends on the price of Thome and JD.

soxfanreggie
08-29-2009, 05:26 PM
I think one of JD and Thome is gone for sure, potentially both depending on how little they are willing to sign for. It's not like we have several huge contracts to give away, so we might be willing to bring one of them back (JD or Thome) on the cheap at DH. to be able to spend more elsewhere.

soxyess
08-29-2009, 06:04 PM
Why do some of you people insist on bringing back any of the PK Dye and Thome trio? You watch them age before your eyes and give you nothing on the field, and you want them back at a discount? These three need to go. You replace them with younger better situational hitters. PK can be traded. Even though he has a no trade clause, he knows he wont be back after 2010, therefore he will accept a trade to a west coast team for one year. Stop thinking that these players will suddenly lead you to a world series. Its not going to happen!

soxyess
08-29-2009, 06:06 PM
I would say all three if we still had Brandon Allen. I say keep Konerko only.

It depends on the price of Thome and JD.

Why keep Konerko? He does not help us, and he is getting older and slower.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Dye and Thome should go. I still think Konerko has some value but he can't be relied on like he was in the past.

WhiteSox1989
08-29-2009, 06:37 PM
As others have said, I think Dye and Thome should go. Both have done incredible things for the White Sox. But Thome is constantly needing days off, and I think he has become very fragile. I don't think he sucks, but it would just be wise not to sign him. And as for Dye, I mean it's always a bit "difficult" to see a World Series guy go...but he's been in a LONG slump. And BADLY. His defense is not what it use to be, obviously.

Keep Paulie. He comes through in the clutch the majority of time, and his defense is pretty solid.

slavko
08-29-2009, 06:48 PM
As others have said, I think Dye and Thome should go. Both have done incredible things for the White Sox. But Thome is constantly needing days off, and I think he has become very fragile. I don't think he sucks, but it would just be wise not to sign him. And as for Dye, I mean it's always a bit "difficult" to see a World Series guy go...but he's been in a LONG slump. And BADLY. His defense is not what it use to be, obviously.

Keep Paulie. He comes through in the clutch the majority of time, and his defense is pretty solid.

Keep him for that one contract year. Dye has had enough time to show us that he should be gone (since the ASG). Thome is too often injured, would be a cold hearted decision on both him and Dye, but that's show biz. Too bad replacements aren't in the pipeline. Are they? I'm sick of looking at slow baserunners.

I confess:I wanted Dye gone before they signed him to his last contract and I was wrong. But I'm right now.

Frankfan4life
08-29-2009, 07:13 PM

The question is who replaces them?The three guys you want to let go are one, two, three in RBI's. Yeah, they're slow but nobody on the Sox has driven in more runs than these three this year.

DickAllen72
08-29-2009, 07:33 PM
The three guys you want to let go are one, two, three in RBI's. Yeah, they're slow but nobody on the Sox has driven in more runs than these three this year.
This is the problem. One or two of these guys have to go if you want to get away from the slow, aging, station-to-station "all or nothing" offense.

Yet at the same time it's hard to replace the power and RBIs those guys have provided. You can't just replace them with slap hitters and think you're going to imrove the offense. You have to somehow replace them with bona fide major league stars--players like Nick Markakis, Hunter Pence, Jayson Werth, etc.--and those kind of players aren't easily acquired.

KW has his work cut out for him this offseason.

soxyess
08-29-2009, 08:32 PM
The three guys you want to let go are one, two, three in RBI's. Yeah, they're slow but nobody on the Sox has driven in more runs than these three this year.

Where has that gotten us? These guys are part of the problem. Let it go! Stop living in the past. This team must become more pitching, defense, timely hitting.

doublem23
08-29-2009, 08:33 PM
How many more times do we need to discuss this topic?

hawkjt
08-29-2009, 08:40 PM
This is the problem. One or two of these guys have to go if you want to get away from the slow, aging, station-to-station "all or nothing" offense.

Yet at the same time it's hard to replace the power and RBIs those guys have provided. You can't just replace them with slap hitters and think you're going to imrove the offense. You have to somehow replace them with bona fide major league stars--players like Nick Markakis, Hunter Pence, Jayson Werth, etc.--and those kind of players aren't easily acquired.

KW has his work cut out for him this offseason.

I agree with this. Can you imagine winning at Soxpark hitting only 120 homers? I can't. To me the biggest problem this year is that as they age, they only will hit 25-26 homers instead of 35-38 homers. Now, if they are replaced with high average hitters who hit 25 homers like Markakis..fine. But if we go with young unproven guys...I shudder.

thomas35forever
08-29-2009, 08:43 PM
If two have to go, then Konerko needs to stay. He has one year left on his contract and is owed $12 million next season. Dye and Thome have options and those are less likely to be exercised by the team. Also, I don't think I'm ready to see Mark Kotsay or whoever's in the wings as our everyday first baseman. We have to think from both a financial and a team standpoint.

To those who want all three gone (especially you, soxyess), you have to have some power on this team. We don't know what we're going to get out of Quentin next year and Beckham is never going to be a power hitter. A.J. is best at hitting for average. That leaves us with Rios, but not a true 3 or 4 hitter, depending on where you wanna stick Rios. We need protection for him, and IMO, Konerko is the best way to go. Thome may not be a bad option, but like I said, you need to look at contracts in which case, you keep Konerko.

Frater Perdurabo
08-29-2009, 08:49 PM
Let Thome and Dye go this offseason. Use the savings to get another starter, upgrade the bullpen, and get a left-handed, high-average hitting outfielder.

Let Paulie go when his contract expires. Use the savings to sign Carl Crawford.

ndgt10
08-29-2009, 09:30 PM
If two have to go, then Konerko needs to stay. He has one year left on his contract and is owed $12 million next season. Dye and Thome have options and those are less likely to be exercised by the team. Also, I don't think I'm ready to see Mark Kotsay or whoever's in the wings as our everyday first baseman. We have to think from both a financial and a team standpoint.

To those who want all three gone (especially you, soxyess), you have to have some power on this team. We don't know what we're going to get out of Quentin next year and Beckham is never going to be a power hitter. A.J. is best at hitting for average. That leaves us with Rios, but not a true 3 or 4 hitter, depending on where you wanna stick Rios. We need protection for him, and IMO, Konerko is the best way to go. Thome may not be a bad option, but like I said, you need to look at contracts in which case, you keep Konerko.
:scratch: Highly debatable.

ike from nj
08-29-2009, 09:37 PM
I agree with this. Can you imagine winning at Soxpark hitting only 120 homers? I can't. To me the biggest problem this year is that as they age, they only will hit 25-26 homers instead of 35-38 homers. Now, if they are replaced with high average hitters who hit 25 homers like Markakis..fine. But if we go with young unproven guys...I shudder.
if the cell is such a home run haven why worry about having slow power hitters in the lineup. line drive hitters with speed can be just as effective.

TheVulture
08-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Flashback, winter 2005:

Who's going to hit those 90 homeruns a year we're going to be missing now that Maggs, Lee and Valenstachio aren't hitting them for us?

ndgt10
08-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Flashback, winter 2005:

Who's going to hit those 90 homeruns a year we're going to be missing now that Maggs, Lee and Valenstachio aren't hitting them for us?

What ever happened to him? Did he end up entering the adult entertainment business?

DSpivack
08-30-2009, 12:46 AM
How many more times do we need to discuss this topic?

∞ until Opening Day 2010?

Patrick134
08-30-2009, 12:52 AM
Surprised nobody has mentioned that PK has saved our infield (mostly Alexei) upwards of 20 errors.

JB98
08-30-2009, 12:57 AM
Surprised nobody has mentioned that PK has saved our infield (mostly Alexei) upwards of 20 errors.

That's a really important point, too. Of the three players in question in this thread, only one is still an above average defensive player. Just overall, Konerko is one of only a few players on the roster who could be considered effective at fielding his position.

DickAllen72
08-30-2009, 01:04 AM
I mentioned it in another thread. Out of the three, Paulie should stay because he's the only one that plays defense well.

whitem0nkey
08-30-2009, 01:11 AM
the best part about this problem is that we got The Kenny Williams.

Patrick134
08-30-2009, 01:16 AM
the best part about this problem is that we got The Kenny Williams.

I'll assume that's sarcastic, but I like Kenny. Easy to rip guys with 20/20 hindsight, but he really tries to improve the team.

whitem0nkey
08-30-2009, 01:20 AM
I'll assume that's sarcastic, but I like Kenny. Easy to rip guys with 20/20 hindsight, but he really tries to improve the team.

No, I love having Kenny in charge, I am confident that he will make this team even better next year.

hawkjt
08-30-2009, 01:59 AM
Flashback, winter 2005:

We went out and got JD, a better power hitter than Maggs, Uribe, an equal power hitter to Valenstacio,and Pods who hit more homers than Carlos in the world series...ok, we lost some homers with Lee going away,but used the money to pick up AJ who hit more homers than the prior catchers.

I am fine with letting our power guys go if we can replace them with guys with more Power like JD in 05-08...

Hitmen77
08-31-2009, 12:10 AM
I really want to know who people want to get to replace a ~.380 OBP and ~.500 SLG at the DH spot.

Jim will come at an enormous discount. He deserves to come back.

I actually hadn't considered this. Under the old system, the way I understood things was that a team had to offer arbitration to a player (which would guarantee him getting at least 80% of his current salary if he accepted) or lose the right to sign him until May.

My understanding is that this rule is no longer place. So, I guess that makes it much more realistic that either Thome or Dye could return at an enormous discount.

I like Thome and would love to see him have a chance at hitting #600 with the Sox. But his age (39 next year) and being increasingly prone to injuries
is a big concern.