PDA

View Full Version : Better mangerial moves

MattSharp
06-07-2002, 11:07 PM
Why not with one out, pinch run Rowand for CLee at 3rd, then pinch hit the Choice for MJ, cause Choice is a better bunter. Bunt and try to get the run in. Choice could beat out a double play and the ruun might score....?

Daver
06-07-2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
Why not with one out, pinch run Rowand for CLee at 3rd, then pinch hit the Choice for MJ, cause Choice is a better bunter. Bunt and try to get the run in. Choice could beat out a double play and the ruun might score....?

Buddy Lees is not that good a better,no better than Mark.

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-08-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by daver

Buddy Lees is not that good a better,no better than Mark.

either way CLee still should have been taken out for a pinch runner.

WinningUgly!
06-08-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by MattSharp

I blame JM for a lot of things, but when guys are striking out, botching plays & not getting the job done in key situations, I have a hard time hearing people question the manager's decisions. Putting the bat in Royce Clayton's hands in the bottom of the 9th wouldn't have sparked any anti-manuel posts, would it?

RKMeibalane
06-08-2002, 12:05 PM
I had the same thought about bringing in Rowand to pinch-run, but I don't agree that Royce Clayton should have pinch-hit. He's screwed up too many times for my taste.

What I would like to know is, if Carlos had not been picked off, would he have been able to score on that passed ball?

doublem23
06-08-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

What I would like to know is, if Carlos had not been picked off, would he have been able to score on that passed ball?

I doubt it.... It really didn't get too far away from the plate. That would have been too close to send Caballo.

What it would have done, tho, is force the Expos to not have their IF at double play depth. With no force at 2nd, they would have had to come in.

RKMeibalane
06-08-2002, 12:32 PM
If the Expos brought their infield in, that would have made it easier for Mark Johnson. All he would have had to do at that point was focus on making solid contact. Anything hit hard would've gotten through, and the Sox may have even won the game. But Carlos ruined everything by being stupid.

Viva Magglio
06-08-2002, 01:56 PM
Maybe somebody else addressed this already, but why did Manuel go with Marté to start the 8th inning after Wunsch pitched effectively in the 7th? He followed a lefty with another lefty. Marté got into a jam but Osuna bailing him out made this issue a moot point.

RKMeibalane
06-08-2002, 02:03 PM
As Manuel said earlier this week, he "likes to tinker." I guess he thinks that if he makes a pitching change, he feels like he's managing. What he fails to realize is that there is such a thing as overkill. If Wunsch was effective, he should have pitched the eighth inning.

I'm still not convinced Marte can be an effective reliever, because every time I turn around, he's giving up hits. Maybe I'm alone on this, but I don't think he's consistent or reliable, two things any good reliever must be.

WinningUgly!
06-08-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Maybe somebody else addressed this already, but why did Manuel go with Marté to start the 8th inning after Wunsch pitched effectively in the 7th? He followed a lefty with another lefty. Marté got into a jam but Osuna bailing him out made this issue a moot point.

Kelly Wunsch isn't the type of pitcher that normaly throws for more than an inning. In fact he hasn't gone more than an inning since May 13, 2001.