PDA

View Full Version : What happens to our infield?

DonnieDarko
08-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Nix and Getz? Throw in Gordon Beckham possibly at 2B next year and we've got many possibilities for our IF next season. I wonder, what is WSI's thoughts on who plays in the IF next year, and why? Personally, I can see something like...

1B = Konerko
2B = Getz/Alexei
SS = Alexei/Bacon
3B = Bacon/Nix

We could also possibly throw Nix into LF and move Quentin over to RF if Dye goes.

Craig Grebeck
08-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Nix and Getz? Throw in Gordon Beckham possibly at 2B next year and we've got many possibilities for our IF next season. I wonder, what is WSI's thoughts on who plays in the IF next year, and why? Personally, I can see something like...

1B = Konerko
2B = Getz/Alexei
SS = Alexei/Bacon
3B = Bacon/Nix

We could also possibly throw Nix into LF and move Quentin over to RF if Dye goes.

Nix's bat does not, does not, does not play in LF. It only plays at 2B because of his defense.

DonnieDarko
08-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Okay, assuming that he's at 2B...does Getz learn to play another position? Or does Nix just remain a bench player?

Frater Perdurabo
08-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Barring a collapse when he returns from the DL, Getz has earned the starting 2B job.

Of course, if KW can find a superior second baseman who also can lead off, then he definitely should not pass up an opportunity to upgrade the team.

But with Getz on the team, 2B is not a need.

DonnieDarko
08-28-2009, 08:18 PM
What about Nix and Alexei, though? I think that Alexei should still be on the team...but what about Nix? I hear good things about him and he shows some promise, but I'm not completely sold on him yet.

soltrain21
08-28-2009, 08:22 PM
We suck next year if A) Nix starts or B) You have Beckham shifting between third and short.

oeo
08-28-2009, 08:25 PM
I don't know if they're going to move Beckham. His defense is getting pretty good at third, and I think he will eventually have the bat for a corner spot, too.

Craig Grebeck
08-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Beckham would be a perennial all-star at second base, and an occasional one at third. Second basemen that hit like that are rare.

Find a third baseman. Getz traded or sent down. Nix traded or DFA (maybe kept for utility, though he wears his glove on his head at SS). New utility man.

DonnieDarko
08-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Why not get rid of Dye and Thome and instead DH Nix, get a 3B (who's out there that we could logically afford, though?), and put Beckham at 2B?

Craig Grebeck
08-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Why not get rid of Dye and Thome and instead DH Nix, get a 3B (who's out there that we could logically afford, though?), and put Beckham at 2B?
Because Nix would instantly be the worst DH in baseball?

DonnieDarko
08-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Guy seems to hit for some power, at least, and has a passable glove at 2B, allowing for some versatility. Didn't he play average 3B, too? That's got some value.

Craig Grebeck
08-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Guy seems to hit for some power, at least, and has a passable glove at 2B, allowing for some versatility. Didn't he play average 3B, too? That's got some value.
You're talking about him at DH. I think he may be an okay utility guy.

He is not not not not not an option for DH.

DonnieDarko
08-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Assuming that we get rid of Dye though, who do we put there? Quentin, then put Pods in LF (assuming we keep him)? Who plays RF, then?

Craig Grebeck
08-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Assuming that we get rid of Dye though, who do we put there? Quentin, then put Pods in LF (assuming we keep him)? Who plays RF, then?
I don't know. I know if it was my team Pods would be gone and Nix would go to the bench.

Kenny's creative. There are guys out there.

DonnieDarko
08-28-2009, 10:08 PM
I don't know. I know if it was my team Pods would be gone and Nix would go to the bench.

Kenny's creative. There are guys out there.

...do you think we can spend anything more than a few million next season? >_>

kitekrazy
08-28-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm one of the few that is not comfortable with Alexi at short.

Craig Grebeck
08-28-2009, 10:25 PM
...do you think we can spend anything more than a few million next season? >_>
If Thome AND Dye are gone -- which is not what I want -- perhaps.
He's here to stay, and really not a problem.

Frater Perdurabo
08-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Beckham would be a perennial all-star at second base, and an occasional one at third.

That's only because as a high-profile Yankee, A-Rod has all but guaranteed a spot on the All-Star team for the duration of his playing career.

Craig Grebeck
08-28-2009, 10:38 PM
That's only because as a high-profile Yankee, A-Rod has all but guaranteed a spot on the All-Star team for the duration of his playing career.
Or Longoria. Beckham would be much better at second base.

The Immigrant
08-28-2009, 10:39 PM

Abreu.

Frater Perdurabo
08-28-2009, 10:41 PM
Or Longoria. Beckham would be much better at second base.

He's the same hitter no matter where he plays. He should play where he can best benefit the team defensively:

If he's better defensively at second, and the Sox can get a good hitter who plays an equal or better defensive third base, then Beckham should move to second. OTOH, if he's better defensively at third, and the Sox can get a good hitter who plays an equal or better defensive second base, Beckam should stay at third.

Craig Grebeck
08-28-2009, 10:48 PM
He's the same hitter no matter where he plays. He should play where he can best benefit the team defensively:

If he's better defensively at second, and the Sox can get a good hitter who plays an equal or better defensive third base, then Beckham should move to second. OTOH, if he's better defensively at third, and the Sox can get a good hitter who plays an equal or better defensive second base, Beckam should stay at third.
I subscribe to the notion that average-above average corner players are much easier to find than average-above average middle infielders.

GlassSox

I agree, disappointing this year with way too many errors.

Zisk77
Beckham would be a perennial all-star at second base, and an occasional one at third. Second basemen that hit like that are rare.

Find a third baseman. Getz traded or sent down. Nix traded or DFA (maybe kept for utility, though he wears his glove on his head at SS). New utility man.

Not anymore. It seems they are becoming rarer at 3b.

Elite 3B

David Wright
Chipper Jones (but hurt and maybe near the end)
Evan Longoria
ARod
Lowell...maybe
Scott Rolen (where has the power gone?)
A Ram
Ryan Zimmerman

2b

Cano
Roberts
Uggla
Utley
Pedroia
Kinsler
Phillips
Polanco (no power though)

hawkjt
08-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Beckham is playing great at 3rd base. Leave him there.
Nix/Getz platoon at 2nd, Alexei at SS.
They are young, let them grow together.

PhillipsBubba
08-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Getz is way better than Nix...he's MY GUY!!!!!!!

DickAllen72
08-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Beckham is playing great at 3rd base. Leave him there.
Nix/Getz platoon at 2nd, Alexei at SS.
They are young, let them grow together.
That's a bad defensive IF, and not such a great offensive one either.

Find a good third baseman. Move Beckham to the middle. Trade Getz.

Zisk77
08-28-2009, 11:05 PM
That's a bad defensive IF, and not such a great offensive one either.

Find a good third baseman. Move Beckham to the middle. Trade Getz.

Their bad now because they are all virtually rookies. Let them develop and get better because these guys ARE likely to haunts us if we get rid of them...PATIENCE!

Lip Man 1
08-28-2009, 11:18 PM
I don't think they are going to want to screw with Beckham and Ramirez by shifting them to another position. They'll remain where they are, ditto for Konerko.

The only potential open spot is 2nd base... if Kenny were to go out and get a Figgins, a Roberts...that moves either Getz or Nix to the bench and the odd man out off the team.

Lip

DickAllen72
08-28-2009, 11:26 PM
I don't think they are going to want to screw with Beckham and Ramirez by shifting them to another position.
Lip
I agree they probably will go with Beckham at third and Ramirez at SS and they'll probably go with Getz at 2B again next year as well. I don't like it but that's what they'll probably do. If that is their plan, I hope they can get a couple of super stud corner outfielders to go along with Rios in CF and Quentin at DH. Otherwise, there's not much that will improve.

hi im skot
08-28-2009, 11:31 PM
Chris Getz dominates, that's what happens.

Noneck
08-28-2009, 11:37 PM
I don't see why anyone is surprised by the defensive infield problems this year. They have a rookie at 3rd learning his job on the field, they have a 2nd year SS basically doing the same. One rookie utility man and another rookie sharing the 2nd base duties.

What can you truly expect with a rookie infield? What you see is what you get.

Its really though without some veterans out there. Hopefully they will all mature together, quickly.

kitekrazy
08-29-2009, 12:19 AM
I don't see why anyone is surprised by the defensive infield problems this year. They have a rookie at 3rd learning his job on the field, they have a 2nd year SS basically doing the same. One rookie utility man and another rookie sharing the 2nd base duties.

What can you truly expect with a rookie infield? What you see is what you get.

Its really though without some veterans out there. Hopefully they will all mature together, quickly.

Alexi is the 2nd coming of Jose Valentin. He has his head up his ass way too often. He's scared of the DP and it's hard to believe that was his natural position in Cuba.

Noneck
08-29-2009, 12:22 AM
He has his head up his ass way too often. He's scared of the DP and it's hard to believe that was his natural position in Cuba.

This year he has, but not so much last year with a veteran infield.

voodoochile
08-29-2009, 12:37 AM
Honestly, unless they somehow acquire Figgens for a reasonable amount of money, I don't see the infield changing next year. I think KW almost has to leave it as it is if for no other reason than it's effective and it's inexpensive. There is enough money that needs to be spent elsewhere, IMO.

The only thing I might change is to give Nix a chance to be the starter at 2B in ST. I think his power numbers make him a potentially more attractive option than Getz, but then they'd need a serious utility guy because Getz cannot play SS or 3B from what I understand.

This doesn't bother me either and I think the complaints about Ramirez are overblown.

I also expect things to get even better next year after the time they spent this year playing together and the time they will spend in ST settling in to their slots.

Hopefully TCM takes some English lessons over the winter.

Nellie_Fox
08-29-2009, 12:53 AM
I'm one of the few that is not comfortable with Alexi at short.There is no one named Alexi on this team, so be perfectly comfortable.

cards press box
08-29-2009, 01:12 AM

The Sox do need a utility plan who can play at least SS and 2B (and 3B would be nice, too). In addition, Beckham would provide a great bat at 2B and would have a shortstop's range at 2B. But who is available -- either in free agency or through a trade -- to play 3B?

Lillian
08-29-2009, 08:26 AM
In any discussion such as this, it would be helpful to accurately assess the skills and talents of the respective players. Jason Nix is the best defensive second baseman on this team. I understand that he struggled at SS, but he is an outstanding second baseman, especially when turning double plays.

The biggest defensive liability in this current infield is Alexei at SS. His mental lapses, and his poor positioning, particularly in potential double play situations, are great concerns. These deficiencies are not the result of his lack of ability, as he does have a great arm and terrific range. However, if he can't make the necessary adjustments, he shouldn't continue to play SS.
His offense has also not been very good. For a guy with his speed and power to have only 12 doubles, 1 triple and 14 homers and 12 stolen bases, in 433 at bats is really underachieving. Alexei is playing himself off of this team. Now that the Sox have Rios in CF, that takes away the option of moving Ramirez there. I suppose that they could consider Alexei in CF and Rios in RF, but that is probably not enough offensive production from two outfield positions.
He could also go back to second, where he played pretty well last year, but then you have both Nix and Getz with no position.

I have no idea what the solution is, but perhaps Beckham should be moved back to his natural position of SS. Nix should be at second. That leaves a hole at third. Maybe KW will go after Figgins to fill that spot and lead off.
C. J. Retherford is another option for next year. He's a 'doubles machine'.

Maybe Alexei could net something of value in a trade. At any rate, I'm pretty disillusioned over his play both on offense and defense.

Getz is a capable second baseman, but I just like Jason's upside better. Getz could be the utility guy.

Craig Grebeck
08-29-2009, 10:10 AM
In any discussion such as this, it would be helpful to accurately assess the skills and talents of the respective players. Jason Nix is the best defensive second baseman on this team. I understand that he struggled at SS, but he is an outstanding second baseman, especially when turning double plays.

The biggest defensive liability in this current infield is Alexei at SS. His mental lapses, and his poor positioning, particularly in potential double play situations, are great concerns. These deficiencies are not the result of his lack of ability, as he does have a great arm and terrific range. However, if he can't make the necessary adjustments, he shouldn't continue to play SS.
His offense has also not been very good. For a guy with his speed and power to have only 12 doubles, 1 triple and 14 homers and 12 stolen bases, in 433 at bats is really underachieving. Alexei is playing himself off of this team. Now that the Sox have Rios in CF, that takes away the option of moving Ramirez there. I suppose that they could consider Alexei in CF and Rios in RF, but that is probably not enough offensive production from two outfield positions.
He could also go back to second, where he played pretty well last year, but then you have both Nix and Getz with no position.

I have no idea what the solution is, but perhaps Beckham should be moved back to his natural position of SS. Nix should be at second. That leaves a hole at third. Maybe KW will go after Figgins to fill that spot and lead off.
C. J. Retherford is another option for next year. He's a 'doubles machine'.

Maybe Alexei could net something of value in a trade. At any rate, I'm pretty disillusioned over his play both on offense and defense.

Getz is a capable second baseman, but I just like Jason's upside better. Getz could be the utility guy.
Nix's problem is that he absolutely can't hit right-handed pitching. A more capable left-handed second baseman than Getz would make it a wonderful platoon.

Frater Perdurabo
08-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Nix's problem is that he absolutely can't hit right-handed pitching. A more capable left-handed second baseman than Getz would make it a wonderful platoon.

Getz is a ROOKIE. His performance has been very good. I don't understand why so many people are so down on him. :scratch:

Craig Grebeck
08-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Getz is a ROOKIE. His performance has been very good. I don't understand why so many people are so down on him. :scratch:
He's pretty below average defensively and we've got a guy who plays the same position better but annihilates lefties. So Getz can either be in a platoon against righties (which doesn't work as he actually hits lefties better) or he can go to the bench and be a utility guy (which also doesn't work because he can't play anything but 2B).

Zisk77
08-29-2009, 11:34 AM
He's pretty below average defensively and we've got a guy who plays the same position better but annihilates lefties. So Getz can either be in a platoon against righties (which doesn't work as he actually hits lefties better) or he can go to the bench and be a utility guy (which also doesn't work because he can't play anything but 2B).

I do not think getz is below average defensively and he has tremendous range. He will get more conistent with the glove. Also Getz sample size vs. lefty pitching is too small to conclude anything. Let the rookie develop a little before we can conclude things about him as if he were a known commodity veteran.

voodoochile
08-29-2009, 11:47 AM
I do not think getz is below average defensively and he has tremendous range. He will get more conistent with the glove. Also Getz sample size vs. lefty pitching is too small to conclude anything. Let the rookie develop a little before we can conclude things about him as if he were a known commodity veteran.

Personally, I think Nix has better range at 2B than Getz.

Both of them are good enough to be given another year there, IMO.

fram40
08-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Their bad now because they are all virtually rookies. Let them develop and get better because these guys ARE likely to haunts us if we get rid of them...PATIENCE!

which is likely to happen if we believe Ozzie. Has been quoted more than once that Getz, TCM, and Beckham are his starting infield for a long time, and Nix is his utility guy. Things can change - but I don't believe KW will prioritize infield changes during the off-season

I see Bacon, TCM, and Getz becoming a soild group for the foreseeable future.

Paulwny
08-29-2009, 01:01 PM
All the hype about Alexei's strong arm when he signed with the sox, if it weren't for Konerko, Alexei would have a throwing error every other game.
Its hard to belive that ss was his natural position in Cuba.

hawkjt
08-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Getz needs to bulk up in the offseason a bit...seems weak turning the doubleplay and injury prone. Nix is still my choice if no platoon.
Alexei is still hitting.278 as of last nite...not a disaster,but not as good as last year...that can change. Gordo is a fixture at third. His fielding is nite and day since he started the season...could end up as gold glover.

Now, if figgins lands in our lap, it does change things...he can play second, deal Getz,and Nix is utility....I can live with that.

DickAllen72
08-29-2009, 01:09 PM
All the hype about Alexei's strong arm when he signed with the sox, if it weren't for Konerko, Alexei would have a throwing error every other game.
Its hard to belive that ss was his natural position in Cuba.
From what I've read, it wasn't. Alexei was used primarily as an OFer in Cuba from what I've read.

Paulwny
08-29-2009, 01:17 PM
From what I've read, it wasn't. Alexei was used primarily as an OFer in Cuba from what I've read.

From what I've seen, he split his time between ss and cf.

kufram
08-29-2009, 02:09 PM
What a waste it will be if we don't let the infield settle in. C'mon rookies need time.

A rookie 3b, a rookie 2b, and a second year ss playing short for the first time in the major leagues. Nix is a rookie backup who, I think, will be great as backup, pinch hitting, pinch running.

You just can't make a judgement on a first year infield. I'd like to see all four positions back next year with who starts at 2nd (Getz or Nix) as the only question mark.

russ99
08-29-2009, 02:45 PM
What a waste it will be if we don't let the infield settle in. C'mon rookies need time.

A rookie 3b, a rookie 2b, and a second year ss playing short for the first time in the major leagues. Nix is a rookie backup who, I think, will be great as backup, pinch hitting, pinch running.

You just can't make a judgement on a first year infield. I'd like to see all four positions back next year with who starts at 2nd (Getz or Nix) as the only question mark.

Getz vs. Nix isn't a question. I'll go with Getz if we had to go with one of those guys, but I'm assuming Kenny will continue to improve the club with 2B/3B being the prime place to add a piece.

With 2 sluggers possibly not coming back, I wouldn't put it past Kenny to get a power bat for 3B, and shift the left side of the infield one spot to the right, with Bacon at his natural position and Alexei at 2B, which he did quite well at last year. That is if we can't get Figgins...

Getz would be my choice for the backup role as well. Nix is awful at everything except hitting home runs.

soltrain21
08-29-2009, 02:48 PM
Getz vs. Nix isn't a question. I'll go with Getz if we had to go with one of those guys, but I'm assuming Kenny will continue to improve the club with 2B/3B being the prime place to add a piece.

With 2 sluggers possibly not coming back, I wouldn't put it past Kenny to get a power bat for 3B, and shift the left side of the infield one spot to the right, with Bacon at his natural position and Alexei at 2B, which he did quite well at last year. That is if we can't get Figgins...

Getz would be my choice for the backup role as well. Nix is awful at everything except hitting home runs.

I hope not. We need a new outfielder because Dye is either DHing or gone. I like Getz and Beckham. Let em play.

oeo
08-29-2009, 02:53 PM
which is likely to happen if we believe Ozzie. Has been quoted more than once that Getz, TCM, and Beckham are his starting infield for a long time, and Nix is his utility guy. Things can change - but I don't believe KW will prioritize infield changes during the off-season

I see Bacon, TCM, and Getz becoming a soild group for the foreseeable future.

We have bigger problems than our infield, that's for sure. RF, a fifth starter, and the bullpen are much bigger problems. Alexei needs some major work of getting rid of old habits at SS this offseason, but Beckham is improving at third and Getz's deficiencies at 2B have been blown out of proportion for a couple of months now. I don't know where that started...I think when he made a boneheaded play at one point, which can happen to the best.

TheVulture
08-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Alexei is still hitting.278 as of last nite...not a disaster,but not as good as last year...that can change.

His walk rate has improved dramatically from last year, while his K rate has remained relatively low. Could be a good sign for future success at the plate.

DonnieDarko
08-30-2009, 09:54 PM
The only thing I might change is to give Nix a chance to be the starter at 2B in ST. I think his power numbers make him a potentially more attractive option than Getz, but then they'd need a serious utility guy because Getz cannot play SS or 3B from what I understand.

Assuming that Nix gets the job at 2B next year (fat chance), who's to say that Getz couldn't learn to play another position? Has he even tried to?