PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade Linebrink for Bradley + Cash?

LoveYourSuit
08-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Both are signed for 2 more seasons and are awful contracts for each side.

Looking at our need for a LH DH next season, would you take this guy assuming the Cubs pay $5 million/yr of his salary and also take on Linebrinks deal?

Or is he too much of a cancer?

We won the WS with one of the biggest Cancers I can remember in Carl Everett, to me they are both the same guy.

Other than a move like this, I see no way we can ever unload Linebrink.

DrGiggles
08-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Cancer and I don't want him talking trash to our fans either.

Nellie_Fox
08-28-2009, 03:02 PM
There's a reason he's been on so many different teams. No thanks.

Chez
08-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Absolutely not. You could bring back the anti-Bradley (Jim Thome) for less than half of what you would have to pay Bradley as your LH DH.

LoveYourSuit
08-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Cancer and I don't want him talking trash to our fans either.

I don't think our fans are as ignorant as the ones from the North Side to rip the guy the way they have.

hi im skot
08-28-2009, 03:13 PM
I don't think our fans are as ignorant as the ones from the North Side to rip the guy the way they have.

Dewayne Wise disagrees.

kobo
08-28-2009, 03:14 PM

Looking at our need for a LH DH next season, would you take this guy assuming the Cubs pay $5 million/yr of his salary and also take on Linebrinks deal?

We won the WS with one of the biggest Cancers I can remember in Carl Everett, to me they are both the same guy.

Hell no. Everett was crazy, but I don't recall hearing much of him being a cancer during 05. Bradley is not worth the $ he is making, is a head case, and has worn out his welcome in Chicago. I don't want to read in the papers about how much of an ass he is in a White Sox uniform.

Chez
08-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Dewayne Wise disagrees.

So does Contreras, Linebrink, Dotel etc. Sox fans have never been bashful about booing one of their own.

kobo
08-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Oh please. The north side fans booing his ass on a daily basis is due to him underperforming in every aspect of the game this year. Sox fans would do the same damn thing to Bradley if he was on this team performing at the same level he is now for the Cubs.

LoveYourSuit
08-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Hell no. Everett was crazy, but I don't recall hearing much of him being a cancer during 05. Bradley is not worth the $ he is making, is a head case, and has worn out his welcome in Chicago. I don't want to read in the papers about how much of an ass he is in a White Sox uniform.

Even if it would help us unload Scott Linebrink?

And the money would be even if Cubs pay the difference.

Chez
08-28-2009, 03:21 PM

If you really want to dump Linebrink, then just release him rather than adding Bradley. Bradley is toxic.

kobo
08-28-2009, 03:21 PM

Still not worth it. Also, Bradley is not a LH bat. He's a switch hitter. If the Sox dump Thome 'd rather have them find a straight up LH bat instead of a switch hitter.

DumpJerry
08-28-2009, 03:25 PM
LoveYourSuit:

There seems to be a typo in the thread title and your original post. You have the name "Bradley" in it. I'm sure you meant to type someone else's name.

Zisk77
08-28-2009, 03:35 PM
No!

Carl was NEVER a clubhouse cancer. In fact, I've only heard good things about him as a clubhouse presence.

Now, bouts with the press, umpires, and sometimes management is a different story.

Bradley is pyscho and always hurt.

Linebrink still has good stuff and could bounce back. Although if i could deal him for salary relief i would as I feel we could replace his spot in the rotation in house: Link, Torres, Nunez, etc.

thomas35forever
08-28-2009, 03:36 PM
You honestly want all that trouble when we're trying to become a perennial contender in the Central? Pass.

tstrike2000
08-28-2009, 03:47 PM
No, you don't want to trade Linestink for that guy. Stay far, far away.

seventyseven
08-28-2009, 03:55 PM
not in a million years.

hi im skot
08-28-2009, 03:55 PM

Milton Bradley is the poor man's Carl Everett.

LITTLE NELL
08-28-2009, 03:57 PM
not in a million years.
Not in a billion years.

spawn
08-28-2009, 04:13 PM
No, they only boo our players when they strike out 3 times in a game the first week of the season. Our fans are sooooooooo much better than Cub fans.

As to having Bradley on the South Side...**** no.

LoveYourSuit
08-28-2009, 04:16 PM
No, they only boo our players when they strike out 3 times in a game early in the season. Our fans are sooooooooo much better than Cub fans.

As to having Bradley on the South Side...**** no.

What I meant is that I don't ever see the idiotic stuff that happens in the bleachers happen at the cell. Racial and hate is what I meant.

spawn
08-28-2009, 04:18 PM
What I meant is that I don't ever see the idiotic stuff that happens in the bleachers happen at the cell. Racial and hate is what I meant.
You'd be naiive to think that couldn't happen at USCF. Ignorant racist fans don't only reside on the North Side.

kaufsox
08-28-2009, 04:21 PM
It is an intriging idea, but I wouldn't do it for the White Sox. Someone else mention he's worn out his welcome in Chicago and I think that would carry over to the South Side. Maybe another place trying to get out from under a bad contract, but not here.

PaleHoser
08-28-2009, 04:26 PM
No. I wouldn't want him for free. I'd rather watch the pitcher hit than Milton Bradley. I'd rather take an automatic out and only have eight in the lineup.

DickAllen72
08-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Carl was NEVER a clubhouse cancer. In fact, I've only heard good things about him as a clubhouse presence.

True. Carl was a winner and a clubhouse leader on the White Sox, no matter what history revisionists try to claim.

slavko
08-28-2009, 05:03 PM
True. Carl was a winner and a clubhouse leader on the White Sox, no matter what history revisionists try to claim.

That's what I remember. Overrated as a player, unique ideas, but not a cancer.

I personally don't think you could get Bradley for Liney even up. As players, Liney sucks worse right now.

If Bradley pays too much attention to the stands, it's only because he wants to see where to throw the ball when there's two out.

areilly
08-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Why would you ever want Milton Bradley on your team?

MarySwiss
08-28-2009, 05:24 PM

That's what I remember. Overrated as a player, unique ideas, but not a cancer.

Me too. Carl was a contributor to the 2005 Sox team. But Bradley?

sullythered
08-28-2009, 05:27 PM
You'd be naiive to think that couldn't happen at USCF. Ignorant racist fans don't only reside on the North Side.
While that is true, it is far far less likely to happen at the Cell. Reason being, we actually have a racially diverse fan base attending our games. It's a lot easier for an idiot racist to yell racist stuff at a player when that player is the only non-white person anywhere near them. That is often the case at the Urinal, and never at the Cell.

Craig Grebeck
08-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Yes. Yes, I would.

Big D
08-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Why would you ever want Milton Bradley on your team?

He was pretty good last year in Texas. Of course, he was on a one year deal for little money, on a team with no real expectations. That would be the only way I'd ever take him, so you can at least cut him if he causes problems. Giving him that much money was just insanity, and that's not just with the benefit of hindsight. Many people predicted this at the time.

LoveYourSuit
08-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Yes. Yes, I would.

Well, 2 out of 50 for Milton isn't bad.

To unload Linebrink, I would do it today.

Bradley playing with a chip on his shoulder across town might work to our benefit too.

johnny bench
08-28-2009, 08:04 PM
are you out of your ****ing mind?

Paulwny
08-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Coop will fix him.

Brian26
08-28-2009, 09:12 PM

Agree 100%. I've heard a lot of cool stories about Everett kicking ass in the Sox clubhouse down the stretch in 05.

soxfanreggie
08-28-2009, 09:15 PM
I'd rather trade Linebrink for an ice cream cone or just get him off the payroll.

michned
08-28-2009, 11:30 PM
I'd rather take Phil Bradley, and Phil's been out of baseball for about twenty years.

And regardless of what Paulie says about intensity, this team could use a little Carl Everett right now.

cards press box
08-29-2009, 12:03 AM
Yes. Yes, I would.

Bradley has had an up and down career but has had some good moments. Still, I don't see the Sox having any interest in trading for him. The Sox are awfully right-handed dominant and Bradley just hasn't hit well from the left side in 2009. To date, Bradley has hit .233 from the left side with not a lot of pop. If the Sox want to add a lefty bat, I imagine that they will look at signing one of two free agents from the L.A. Angels: lefty hitting Bobby Abreu or switch hitting Chone Figgins.

Still not worth it. Also, Bradley is not a LH bat. He's a switch hitter. If the Sox dump Thome 'd rather have them find a straight up LH bat instead of a switch hitter.

Agreed except Figgins is a switch hitter and I could see him taking Thome's roster spot. The Sox would then have: (i) four outfielders -- Podsednik, Dye, Quentin and Rios (assuming that Dye and Podsednik return); (ii) five infielders -- Konerko, Getz, A. Ramirez, Beckham and Nix and (iii) two infielder/outfielders -- Kotsay and Figgins. That would give the Sox some flexibility and hopefully better defense.

Coolpapa
08-29-2009, 05:05 AM
No ****ing way. Carl Everett's little brother

white sox bill
08-29-2009, 07:21 AM
Almost all you guys have brought me down to Earth. At first I thought "Hell yes I'd trade Linebrink for anyone, including Billy Koch". So I vote resounding NO

OmarLittle
09-01-2009, 05:38 AM
Ewwwwwww no, why would I want a 400 OBP for 5 million? Gross.

Wait never mind, I'm capable of using my brain. I'd love Bradley at 5 million especially at DH.

The Immigrant
09-01-2009, 08:05 AM
Yes. Yes, I would.

Same here. I'd do this deal in a heartbeat. People easily forget the year that Bradley had last year.

spawn
09-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Same here. I'd do this deal in a heartbeat. People easily forget the year that Bradley had last year.
That's because we remember what kind of an assbag he's been this year. People bitched and moaned about how divisive Orlando Cabrera was last year, despite acutally being pretty clutch towards the end of the season. Now, you want to bring this clown in? Thanks, but no thanks.

The Immigrant
09-01-2009, 08:14 AM
That's because we remember what kind of an assbag he's been this year. People bitched and moaned about how divisive Orlando Cabrera was last year, despite acutally being pretty clutch towards the end of the season. Now, you want to bring this clown in? Thanks, but no thanks.

People said the same thing when the Sox signed A.J. before the 2005 season. They said similar things about Carl Everett, who was an even bigger assbag than Milton Bradley but managed to have a decent run with the Sox. C-Rex had one of his children taken away from him by the state, for God's sake.

I'll take Bradley at DH any day of the week. He would put up all-star numbers at the Cell.

SOXSINCE'70
09-01-2009, 08:17 AM
:hawk

"Hell,No!!"

bigsoxfan420
09-01-2009, 08:18 AM
no!

spawn
09-01-2009, 08:20 AM
People said the same thing when the Sox signed A.J. before the 2005 season. They said similar things about Carl Everett, who was an even bigger assbag than Milton Bradley but managed to have a decent run with the Sox. C-Rex had one of his children taken away from him by the state, for God's sake.

I'll take Bradley at DH any day of the week. He would put up all-star numbers at the Cell.
AJ has shown he is a team player. The ONLY time he had issues was when he was with SF. He's an ******* on the field, not off. Bradley has been a cancer just about every ML stop. He's MLB's version of Terrell Owens.

TomBradley72
09-01-2009, 10:32 AM
No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

Nellie_Fox
09-01-2009, 10:40 AM
He's MLB's version of Terrell Owens.Except less talented.

Dice
09-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Hell NO! Yeah, Linebrink sucks but at least he's not a cancer. Williams should stay far away as he can from Bradley, Zambrano or any of those jokers on the North Side.

Craig Grebeck
09-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Holy **** I am so happy none of you run a major league franchise. Linebrink will be an overpaid low-leverage reliever and some of you are scoffing at Milton Bradley because the media paints a picture of him you don't like?

Calling Bradley a cancer is as legitimate as saying Ozzie hated BA.

asindc
09-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Holy **** I am so happy none of you run a major league franchise. Linebrink will be an overpaid low-leverage reliever and some of you are scoffing at Milton Bradley because the media paints a picture of him you don't like?

It's actually much, much more legitimate than that. Bradley has caused major problems everywhere he has played, despite being an exceptional talent. Chemistry counts, and he does not mix well. NO.

asindc
09-01-2009, 01:19 PM

The big difference between AJ and Bradley is that AJ fit in well with another team (Minny) before going to SF, so there was a track record of him being a good teammate. Bradley on the other hand...

southside rocks
09-01-2009, 01:20 PM

No, it's not. Ozzie may well have been a non-fan of Brian Anderson -- and if you knew the reasons you might understand that, I'm just speculating -- but Milton Bradley is known throughout baseball for being a volatile and sometimes unhinged player. They talk about that on MLB HomePlate on XM radio; they talk about it on the MLB network on TV; it's mentioned on ESPN all the time -- it's a fact. Bradley is a head-case. Nobody on this board is making that up.

Consider this: why HAS he been with so many teams in his career? Why, after having a very good year with the Rangers last year, did they say goodbye to him?

He's trouble, and he proves it with every team he plays for.

southside rocks
09-01-2009, 01:22 PM
People said the same thing when the Sox signed A.J. before the 2005 season.

What "people" besides Brett Tomko said that about AJ? I think that was a one-man campaign against Pierzynski by a pitcher on the Giants staff who decided that his catcher had dissed him. The media got hold of it and hey presto, AJ is a clubhouse cancer. :rolleyes:

Bradley's a whole different kind of problem.

The Immigrant
09-01-2009, 01:27 PM
What "people" besides Brett Tomko said that about AJ? I think that was a one-man campaign against Pierzynski by a pitcher on the Giants staff who decided that his catcher had dissed him.

Right, it was a "one man campaign" that caused the Giants to not even offer arbitration to A.J. only a year after they gave up Liriano, Nathan and Bonser to get him.

Got it.

thedudeabides
09-01-2009, 01:30 PM

Ditto. He has had one good year in his career. Other than that, he has one good skill. Getting on base. He's a poor defender, doesn't run the bases well, doesn't hit for power, doesn't produce a lot of runs, and can't stay healthy. And if you think his problems are a media creation, you are being extremely naive. He wears out his welcome everywhere he goes.

I wouldn't want him anywhere near my team, even if it was to get someone to take Linebrink.

gobears1987
09-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Agree 100%. I've heard a lot of cool stories about Everett kicking ass in the Sox clubhouse down the stretch in 05.
Plus there were stories of how he'd treat the entire team to amazing steak houses on road trips. He was an overrated player, but he was a great teammate and someone you would want in your clubhouse. I think having a cancer like Bradley 8.1 miles north of our clubhouse is too close for comfort.

spawn
09-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Holy **** I am so happy none of you run a major league franchise.
I'm glad you don't either. :shrug:

Craig Grebeck
09-02-2009, 04:49 AM
I'm glad you don't either. :shrug:
If Hendry called Kenny and made the offer he'd pull the trigger without blinking.

spawn
09-02-2009, 06:49 AM
If Hendry called Kenny and made the offer he'd pull the trigger without blinking.
:rolling:

Thanks. I needed a good laugh this morning! :rolling:

Craig Grebeck
09-02-2009, 06:55 AM
:rolling:

Thanks. I needed a good laugh this morning! :rolling:
So you really think Kenny wouldn't jump at the opportunity to dump the worst contract on the team for a guy who can DH and play the outfield?

TomBradley72
09-02-2009, 07:00 AM

:bong:

spawn
09-02-2009, 07:06 AM
So you really think Kenny wouldn't jump at the opportunity to dump the worst contract on the team for a guy who can DH and play the outfield?
That depends on who that player is. Milton Bradley is NOT the one.

Boondock Saint
09-02-2009, 08:20 AM

What's that, you say? Another crappy corner outfielder? A worse contract, you say? Where do I sign up?

Bucky F. Dent
09-02-2009, 09:01 PM
both are signed for 2 more seasons and are awful contracts for each side.

Looking at our need for a lh dh next season, would you take this guy assuming the cubs pay $5 million/yr of his salary and also take on linebrinks deal?

We won the ws with one of the biggest cancers i can remember in carl everett, to me they are both the same guy.

Other than a move like this, i see no way we can ever unload linebrink.

no!

asindc
09-02-2009, 09:03 PM

Yes, I believe you are right. I believe Hendry would pull the trigger without blinking.

stillz
09-02-2009, 10:10 PM
No no no! A craptastic, overpaid reliever is better than Bradley by miles.

Zisk77
09-02-2009, 10:26 PM
No no no! A craptastic, overpaid reliever is better than Bradley by miles.

Especially when middle relievers can be good one year and craptastic the next and then solid again. Really, linebrinks stuff is fine (95 mph fb, good split) his command and predictability of pitches has been awful. Wouldnt shock me if he were good again next year or 2006 Cliff politte bad.

Rohan
09-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Two words:

HELL NO!

I'll take Linebrink over him any day.

LoveYourSuit
09-02-2009, 11:02 PM
This is the same fan base who:

Loved Peavy when Kenny traded for him
Then hated him when blocked the trade (recall all the f-bombs directed at him)
Then loved him again when accepted the trade the second time around.

I have a feeling people will learn to warm up to Bradley if he hits .300 for us and an OPS at .900

He is a DH, PERIOD. He belongs in this league.

DSpivack
09-02-2009, 11:05 PM
This is the same fan base who:

Loved Peavy when Kenny traded for him
Then hated him when blocked the trade (recall all the f-bombs directed at him)
Then loved him again when accepted the trade the second time around.

I have a feeling people will learn to warm up to Bradley if he hits .300 for us and an OPS at .900

He is a DH, PERIOD. He belongs in this league.

He's not doing that this year in the NL, nowhere even close, has never been reliably healthy for a whole season, has two more years at $10 mil per season, is a malcontent so there's also the risk he'll disrupt the team. I have no idea why anyone would want to take that risk.

LoveYourSuit
09-02-2009, 11:53 PM
I have no idea why anyone would want to take that risk.

To unload a bigger pile of baseball turd in Linebrink.

DSpivack
09-03-2009, 12:42 AM

Both are turds, Linebrink is the lesser turd and the one with the more manageable contract.

oeo
09-03-2009, 12:58 AM

At least in Linebrink's case, you can assume he's not going to be a problem in the clubhouse, and you can throw him into a mop up role. Yeah, a lot of wasted money, but hey, people want the Sox to be big spenders, this is what happens sometimes: you get burned.

Hitmen77
09-03-2009, 08:03 AM

The game isn't only about stats. Bradley is injury prone and has a serious attitude problem. These kind of things don't show up in OPS, VORP, blah blah blah, but they are real life factors.

Cangelosi CF
09-03-2009, 11:58 AM
No, I don't trust Bradley to stay healthy.

OmarLittle
09-08-2009, 10:55 AM
i can't believe that there are people that would honestly take linebrink over bradley in a situation where the cubs would take on linebrink's full contract and half of bradley's contract.

seriously, assuming bradley would DH (like the OP said) there should be no concern over his injury history.

what he is doing this season is basically his floor. a 390 OBP worst case is a hell of a lot more valuable than a 33 year old MIDDLE RELIEVER who hasnt had an ERA under 3 since 2005.

spawn
09-08-2009, 11:02 AM
i can't believe that there are people that would honestly take linebrink over bradley in a situation where the cubs would take on linebrink's full contract and half of bradley's contract.

seriously, assuming bradley would DH (like the OP said) there should be no concern over his injury history.

what he is doing this season is basically his floor. a 390 OBP worst case is a hell of a lot more valuable than a 33 year old MIDDLE RELIEVER who hasnt had an ERA under 3 since 2005.
If you look exclusively at stats, then of course I'd take the "stats" Bradley over the "stats" Linebrink. Of course, there is more to consider than just stats. :shrug:

Edit: Hitmen77 basically hits the nail on the head.

asindc
09-08-2009, 11:20 AM
The game isn't only about stats. Bradley is injury prone and has a serious attitude problem. These kind of things don't show up in OPS, VORP, blah blah blah, but they are real life factors.

Agreed. If stats alone made for a solid assessment of a player's worth, then AL GMs would be climbing over each other to sign Barry Bonds.

oeo
09-08-2009, 02:39 PM

Why wouldn't they just pay the majority of Bradley's contract and dump him, instead of taking on another bad contract while they're at it. :?: I know Hendry likes to hand out money like it's candy, but this would never happen.

gobears1987
09-08-2009, 02:50 PM
I can't believe this thread has reached 6 pages. Linebrink may suck and have a bad contract, but he isn't someone who can tear the team apart from the inside like Bradley does to just about every team he is on. There is a reason they call people like him "clubhouse cancers."

sullythered
09-08-2009, 07:22 PM

The only way I do this, is if it saves us money overall. Then we can just immediately cut Bradley. I don't want either player, but Bradley's mere presence hurts the team.

kitekrazy
09-10-2009, 09:54 AM

The Sox have a history being injury prone at the DH as of late.

kitekrazy
09-10-2009, 09:59 AM

The North Side is living proof of that.

Wanted:Baseball players

High paying organization of looking for talented individuals.
Bad attitude is a bonus. Medical history not needed. Communication
skills not necessary. A perfect opportunity to be your own boss.

Ask for Jim Hendry.