PDA

View Full Version : Why do 1B throw a ball into the stands?

Walker29
08-28-2009, 12:53 PM
After a 1B takes care of the final out of the inning, on his way to the dugout he always throws a ball into the crowd and a ball is thrown to him from someone in the dugout. How, when and why did this all start? Why not just keep the ball or roll it out onto the mound? Who's in charge of throwing him the fresh ball? It boggles my mind. Please help answer this question?

kittle42
08-28-2009, 12:56 PM
All players do that on the final out. It started after the strike as a way to be more fan friendly.

Hitmen77
08-28-2009, 01:04 PM
I heard this practice is to honor Yankee great Chuck Knoblauch.

aryzner
08-28-2009, 01:07 PM
I always figured it was just to give a ball to a fan and then the ball that is thrown to him is kept in his glove and then used for fielding practice before the next inning begins.

Madvora
08-28-2009, 01:09 PM
I understand the ball in the stands idea, it's the throw from the dugout to the first baseman that I've always wondered about.

voodoochile
08-28-2009, 01:14 PM
All players do that on the final out. It started after the strike as a way to be more fan friendly.

Yeah, baseball started giving away a ton of baseballs after the strike. It not only is a nice perk for the fans, it's also a way of keeping the baseballs fresh which in turn leads to more homeruns because the baseballs don't have a chance to soften up.

Oblong
08-28-2009, 01:16 PM
I understand the ball in the stands idea, it's the throw from the dugout to the first baseman that I've always wondered about.

Because bench players can't just sit around looking like they have nothing to do. One of them gets assigned the job of making sure the 1B has a ball ready to go back on the field. Can't have players after the 3rd out running around looking for balls. It's hard enough trying to find their glove.:D:

(recurring dream for me is that I'm back in high school and during a game I lose my glove or realize I'm wearing the wrong jersey, (home/away)

TParkin550
08-28-2009, 01:26 PM
I heard this practice is to honor Yankee great Chuck Knoblauch.

HA HA
:rolling:

jamokes
08-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Actually the ball thrown from the dugout to the first baseman is sometimes a superstition. Some teams use the same ball for infield practice game in and game out. Some first basemen will throw the ball after infield practice to a certain coach on so many bounces........all out of habit.

08-28-2009, 06:51 PM
It's also not a great idea to give your opposing pitcher a potentially scuffed up baseball to use.

Scuffs= Better grip= More friction= More movement on the ball.

Dibbs
08-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Fan friendly and good PR.

Railsplitter
08-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Fan friendly and good PR.

I remember Pete Rose, after making the final out, would slam the ball down near the mound.

dwalteroo
09-03-2009, 01:01 AM
I am so glad someone asked this question. I have been wondering about this forever. Still seems like we need a definitive answer, at least in PK's case.