PDA

View Full Version : Jayson Stark says Beckham in conversation for AL ROY, but...

doublem23
08-27-2009, 09:21 PM
... would vote for Andrew Bailey, if the season ended today.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings090827

SoxGirl4Life
08-27-2009, 10:19 PM
... would vote for Andrew Bailey, if the season ended today.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings090827

Who is Andrew Baily? I guess I could read the link

LoveYourSuit
08-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Gordon is slumping so bad in crunch time right now that indeed would vote for Bailey for ROY.

I think Ozzie should consider dropping Gordon to 7-8th again.

FielderJones
08-27-2009, 10:54 PM
A relief pitcher v a position player for ROY? Meh. I don't buy it, even with the impressive stats.

LoveYourSuit
08-27-2009, 10:58 PM
A relief pitcher v a position player for ROY? Meh. I don't buy it, even with the impressive stats.

It's a very weak Rookie class. This migt be the one time a relief pitcher should win it.

Big D
08-27-2009, 11:13 PM
Of course, Beckham's at a disadvantage just because he spent the first third of the season in the minors. It's quite an accomplishment that he's even put himself in contention (and yes, part of it is because no other rookies have really stood out).

Domeshot17
08-28-2009, 12:38 AM
Beckhams time up hasnt hurt him. The same way it didnt hurt Longoria last year. Whats hurt him is hitting the wall pretty hard lately.

Rohan
08-28-2009, 12:52 AM
Gordon is slumping so bad in crunch time right now that indeed would vote for Bailey for ROY.

I think Ozzie should consider dropping Gordon to 7-8th again.

He's slowed a bit with the bat. But in the time that he's been slumping his defense has significantly improved. He's even made plays that only elite third basemen make. I'd say that helps his standings out quite a bit.

hawkjt
08-28-2009, 08:13 AM
Gordo is 16 of 82 in his last 20 games. No doubt he has come down to earth. But, his glove has been good, and hitting .190 puts him right there with JD and PK in that stretch,so it does happen. Maybe he does need a day off, just to ease the mental chaos....too bad that Getz is not here so they could flip Nix to third for a day. Lillibridge maybe?

Evman5
08-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Maybe he does need a day off, just to ease the mental chaos....too bad that Getz is not here so they could flip Nix to third for a day. Lillibridge maybe?

I talked to Getz in Boston and he told me he would most likely be back by saturday at Yankee Stadium.

TDog
08-28-2009, 10:47 AM
It's a very weak Rookie class. This migt be the one time a relief pitcher should win it.

Baseball people have been saying it's a very strong rookie class -- not 1975 strong where two rookies placed among the top three in the American League MVP vote, but stronger than last year when there were only two AL rookies in the discussion. This year there are probably a dozen standout rookies in the AL.

Bailey made the All-Star team. Granted, he pitches for the A's and was their lone representative, but that enhances his exposure. If I had a vote on the A's top rookie pitcher, though, it wouldn't be Bailey. I don't think Bailey is among the elite closers in the league, though.