PDA

View Full Version : Has Beckham hit the rookie wall?

jabrch
08-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Discuss...

Waysouthsider
08-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Only six hits since 8-16 when he was at .306......some of it is statistical regression as he gets more bats...but obviously all the bats were asleep before tonight. He's down to .285 today....I'm thinking he's going to pull right out of it as the team gets hot again....

Daver
08-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Discuss...

I despise threads started like this, they almost always turn into garbage at a rapid rate. If you want to start a discussion, expand on your topic in your post instead of opening the door to a bunch of crap.

Noneck
08-27-2009, 09:45 PM
I despise threads started like this, they almost always turn into garbage at a rapid rate. If you want to start a discussion, expand on your topic in your post instead of opening the door to a bunch of crap.

The comment "discuss" is the stick to stir the pot. I totally agree.

soxyess
08-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Im sure he is somewhat fatigued, but teams are pitching him differently, and he just needs to make some adjustments. He is a good enough hitter that he will make those adjustments soon. I also think he is trying to do too much because the rest of the team is not hitting. Beckham knows baseball he will be fine.

jabrch
08-27-2009, 10:06 PM

I respect your opinion - and your right to express it however you want.

Brian26
08-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Nobody has any rights here.

JB98
08-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Beckham is in pull mode right now. He'll start hitting again as soon as he starts using the whole field.

hawkjt
08-27-2009, 11:13 PM
They seem to be pitching him up and down more lately.More breaking stuff. But he is just not seeing the ball as well either. Inevitable, I guess, no one can stay hot forever. Bounce outta of it this weekend in the Big Apple,Gordo...he loves the big stage.:D:

voodoochile
08-27-2009, 11:17 PM
I don't think he's hit the wall as much as he is struggling to adjust to a new way of pitching to him. He's seeing a lot more sliders down and outside followed by fastballs up and in and vice versa. So far it's got him off his rhythm. Hopefully he learns to lay off the high heat and I think he'll be fine.

Maybe things went a little too well too fast and he honestly expects to be able to hit everything he sees. Certainly in the zone he has been very effective, but right now he's a bit back on his heals trying to adjust to the new method teams are employing.

His bat remains quick and his glove and arm are still solid, so like I said, I don't think he's tired or hitting the wall, just still adapting to the way the league has adapted to him.

BleacherBandit
08-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Nobody has any rights here.

Don't be a bad guy.

He's hit a wall, of sorts. So what? Everybody hits a wall throughout the duration of the season.

ChicagoHoosier
08-27-2009, 11:30 PM
He hit a nice one over a big green wall on Thursday.

Brian26
08-27-2009, 11:33 PM
Don't be a bad guy.

It wasn't intended to be a deep statement. It's a privilege to post here, but this place doesn't fall under the rules of the American Constitution.

Beckham will be fine.

BleacherBandit
08-27-2009, 11:43 PM
It wasn't intended to be a deep statement. It's a privilege to post here, but this place doesn't fall under the rules of the American Constitution.

Beckham will be fine.

We may not have any definite "rights" here, like the Bill of Rights. But we have a code of conduct, so I guess there's a framework of how to act. But the right to not be harrassed kind of fits into the whole mutual agreement for decency, I'd assume.

/sidetrack over

WhiteSox1989
08-27-2009, 11:50 PM
Beckham will be fine.

I don't know if I think he needs a day off, I guess it wouldn't harm him.

kevingrt
08-27-2009, 11:56 PM
He's hit a wall, of sorts. So what? Everybody hits a wall throughout the duration of the season.

Agree... and what's wrong with discussing this topic?

voodoochile
08-28-2009, 12:03 AM
Agree... and what's wrong with discussing this topic?

Nothing at all. Daver was merely pointing out that threads that don't start with an opinion to reply to often degenerate into bad threads. It isn't the topic that he disliked it was the first post which merely said, "discuss" instead of offering a starting opinion for the discussion to feed off of.

And since all of that has happened and there is a serious lack of content in this thread, I'm moving it to WTS. Feel free to keep replying...

TDog
08-28-2009, 12:09 AM
I don't think he's hit the wall as much as he is struggling to adjust to a new way of pitching to him. He's seeing a lot more sliders down and outside followed by fastballs up and in and vice versa. So far it's got him off his rhythm. Hopefully he learns to lay off the high heat and I think he'll be fine.

Maybe things went a little too well too fast and he honestly expects to be able to hit everything he sees. Certainly in the zone he has been very effective, but right now he's a bit back on his heals trying to adjust to the new method teams are employing.

His bat remains quick and his glove and arm are still solid, so like I said, I don't think he's tired or hitting the wall, just still adapting to the way the league has adapted to him.

This was precisely my take, although I've only seen Beckham during his three games in Oakland, where he was very impressive at the plate. I have to wonder if the A's were using outdated scouting reports. And, really, he didn't do as well on Sunday.

The Sox really don't have the luxury of resting Beckham with Getz on the disabled list, but I can't imagine Guillen would continue to bat Beckham second if he were hitting that wall.

In fact, I'm a little surprised Beckham continues to bat second. Tonight, either Kotsay or Ramirez might have been better suited. But I am not complaining about the lineup.

Hitmen77
08-28-2009, 12:16 AM
If Beckham is going through some difficult adjustment periods that are common to rookies, I'd rather have him do it during this lost cause of a season.

I like the idea of him being that much more experienced and adjusted to the majors for a playoff run in 2010.

Konerko05
08-28-2009, 12:48 AM
He needs a day or two off, but unfortunately that can not happen until Getz comes off the disabled list.

I don't think pitchers have figured out a way to pitch to him. He is just in a massive slump and he seems mentally exhausted. He is swinging through fastballs right down the plate.

A couple days to rest and reflect should get him back on track. As someone said, he needs to start using the whole field again. He is trying to do way too much at the plate and he doesn't seem to have much of a plan.