PDA

View Full Version : Someone (Twinkies?) claimed Rich Harden on waivers

doublem23
08-27-2009, 06:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=4427171

Someone claimed Rich Harden off waivers from the Cubs. His contract is relatively inexpensive and up at the end of this year...

I wonder (and hope)...

CHISOXFAN13
08-27-2009, 06:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=4427171

Someone claimed Rich Harden off waivers from the Cubs. His contract is relatively inexpensive and up at the end of this year...

I wonder (and hope)...

According to reports on the Score, an NL team made the claim.

Big D
08-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Let's hope we weren't the team that claimed Aaron Heilman, because the Cubs may just give him to whoever was dumb enough to want him.

thomas35forever
08-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Remember when Harden was going to push the Cubs over the top?

chunk
08-27-2009, 07:20 PM
IMO Harden was an excellent acquisition. They gave up nothing but spare parts to get him. Marginal spare parts at that. He was lights out last year. Not nearly as good as this year, but still good.

LoveYourSuit
08-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Remember when Harden was going to push the Cubs over the top?

Yeah and Peavy was going to do the same for us.

Boondock Saint
08-27-2009, 07:26 PM

Peavy hasn't pitched a single game for us. Harden has been with the Cubs damned near all season.

soxfanreggie
08-27-2009, 07:49 PM
Will be interesting to see if the Cubs give them away to save a few bucks or work out a "trade" for a journeyman A-baller.

HomeFish
08-27-2009, 07:54 PM
It will be easy to figure out which one of the other 29 teams would be interested in a solid young starter with an inexpensive contract.

jabrch
08-27-2009, 08:19 PM
IMO Harden was an excellent acquisition. They gave up nothing but spare parts to get him. Marginal spare parts at that. He was lights out last year. Not nearly as good as this year, but still good.

Gallagher was a starting pitching prospect on par with Clayton Richard. Eric Patterson was not a top tier guy, but still a decent prospect. For that, and a Murton, they got a SP due about 12mm who was always hurt and unable to throw many innings. I wouldn't say he was excellent. I wouldn't say they didn't give up much. And even with as good as he was last year, he only threw 150 innings - which for a starter is not good.

jabrch
08-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Will be interesting to see if the Cubs give them away to save a few bucks or work out a "trade" for a journeyman A-baller.

Either way, I'd be shocked if they don't get rid of him.

MarkZ35
08-27-2009, 08:37 PM
Any word on what team may have picked him up?

Big D
08-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Will Harden be a Type A free agent after the season? If so, I'd rather take the draft picks. There's only a month to go, so it's not like they're going to get much back in a trade.

jabrch
08-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Will Harden be a Type A free agent after the season? If so, I'd rather take the draft picks. There's only a month to go, so it's not like they're going to get much back in a trade.

Type A? Not a chance. Type B? Maybe.

doublem23
08-27-2009, 08:43 PM

Of course, MLB and Elias don't publish the formula for how they determine who is Type A & B, but some guy who has supposedly figured it out (I believe he's got a flawless track record over the past few years) says Harden will be a Type A...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/06/probable-type-a-free-agents.html

soxfan43
08-27-2009, 08:46 PM
He'd be a huge pickup for a lot of teams, especially the Dodgers. It might be worth it to them to send a few legit prospects to the Cubs as Harden could put them over the top. I'd imagine the Cubs are looking to shed money a bit so dumping harden's salary for the rest of the year and not having to pay bonus money to the draft picks might be worth it.

jabrch
08-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Of course, MLB and Elias don't publish the formula for how they determine who is Type A & B, but some guy who has supposedly figured it out (I believe he's got a flawless track record over the past few years) says Harden will be a Type A...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/06/probable-type-a-free-agents.html

Wow...I'd be completely shocked...Wouldn't be the first time. I can't imagine any team would give up a first for him. And if he is offered arbitration, he may well accept it.

doublem23
08-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Wow...I'd be completely shocked...Wouldn't be the first time. I can't imagine any team would give up a first for him. And if he is offered arbitration, he may well accept it.

Yeah that is definitely going to hurt him in free agency, but there is no denying that when he's healthy and on, he's tough to hit.

Hitmen77
08-27-2009, 10:14 PM

For months, Peavy was going to put the Cubs over the top. It was pretty much a "done deal" that he was going there.

jabrch
08-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Yeah that is definitely going to hurt him in free agency, but there is no denying that when he's healthy and on, he's tough to hit.

It might mean the only place he gets offers from are teams who already sign multiple Type A guys - and Harden might only cost a 3rd or 4th. I don't see who'd give him a first. And if he was offered arbitration, I can't see him not taking it. I can't see him getting more than what he'd get in arbitration.

thomas35forever
08-27-2009, 10:34 PM
A friend heard on ESPN Radio that the Twins are the team that claimed him.

Big D
08-27-2009, 10:37 PM
It might mean the only place he gets offers from are teams who already sign multiple Type A guys - and Harden might only cost a 3rd or 4th. I don't see who'd give him a first. And if he was offered arbitration, I can't see him not taking it. I can't see him getting more than what he'd get in arbitration.

Hell, I'd take Harden in a minute on a one year deal. If he accepts arbitration, that might be a good deal for whatever team he ends up on. I wouldn't dare sign him to more than a one year deal because of his injury history, but going year by year would be great.

jabrch
08-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Hell, I'd take Harden in a minute on a one year deal. If he accepts arbitration, that might be a good deal for whatever team he ends up on. I wouldn't dare sign him to more than a one year deal because of his injury history, but going year by year would be great.

You'd give that guy 9mm? 7.3 minimum...but if you lowball him, he could actually win a case.

I'd pass. I don't want a guy who has that slim a chance of going 200 innings.

Big D
08-27-2009, 10:46 PM
You'd give that guy 9mm? 7.3 minimum...but if you lowball him, he could actually win a case.

I'd pass. I don't want a guy who has that slim a chance of going 200 innings.

Oh, not for us. We already have 4 starters set for next year. I should have been clearer about that; I meant for whoever claimed him off waivers.

DrCrawdad
08-27-2009, 10:56 PM

Harden was just one of a dozen or so reasons why the 2009 regular season was just a warm-up for the Cubs post-season, or so many in the media, Cubs fans and many WSI Cub fan submarines would have had you believe.

DSpivack
08-27-2009, 11:24 PM
A friend heard on ESPN Radio that the Twins are the team that claimed him.

I doubt that the entire NL passed up on him.

Craig Grebeck
08-27-2009, 11:27 PM
Harden is absolutely a Type A and I really doubt he has trouble finding work.

TDog
08-27-2009, 11:41 PM
I doubt that the entire NL passed up on him.

And if they did, I can't imagine Billy Beane would pass up the chance to claim him so he could trade him again.

hawkjt
08-28-2009, 08:16 AM
They are reporting on the Score that the Twins were the team that claimed Rich Harden from the Cubs. A bit surprised he made it thru the NL and down to the Twins. Wonder if the Cubs will let him go? They will get two picks if they keep him around the rest of the year vs whatever the Twins will give them....I hope the Cubs pull him back in..no lifelines to the Twins right now and giving them the draft picks means they pick up some more good players the way they draft.

Oops, did not see the thread on Harden on this board....dump this into the other thread.

Hitmen77
08-28-2009, 09:33 AM
I highly doubt the Cubs give him away for nothing just to save 1/6 of a season's salary.

They're better off keeping him and getting draft picks by letting him walk. ....of course, they only get draft picks if they offer him arbitration - which he might accept.

whitem0nkey
08-28-2009, 11:33 AM
on the score they just said it was the twins.

kitekrazy
08-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Heard it on the SCORE. Cubs have waived the white flag. Since the All Star break Harden was 3-1, 1.8 ERA.

I get this feelin the Twins are going to take this division with or without Harden.

Ron Karkovice
08-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Heard it on the SCORE. Cubs have waived the white flag. Since the All Star break Harden was 3-1, 1.8 ERA.

I get this feelin the Twins are going to take this division with or without Harden.

I hope they do. I like them better than the tigers. And we all know they're going to take 2 of 3 from us in a few days.

tstrike2000
08-28-2009, 02:06 PM
I hope they do. I like them better than the tigers. And we all know they're going to take 2 of 3 from us in a few days.

**** the Twins and Tigers. I hate both those teams. I hope we kick both their asses.

Foulke You
08-28-2009, 03:07 PM
Good God no! Not the Twins. The thought of the arrogant Carlos Gomez and Denard Span celebrating on the field makes me want to hurl. I would definitely rather have the Tigers win the Central. The Tigers also have much less annoying fans.

oeo
08-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Good God no! Not the Twins. The thought of the arrogant Carlos Gomez and Denard Span celebrating on the field makes me want to hurl. I would definitely rather have the Tigers win the Central. The Tigers also have much less annoying fans.

Gomez will still celebrate on the field, regardless. Then someone will have to explain to him that they lost.

Hitmen77
08-28-2009, 03:47 PM

We're going to win one of the games in Minnesota? I think that makes you an optimist.

kobo
08-28-2009, 04:21 PM
If Harden becomes a FA, he'd be a great #5 for the Sox next year if they could sign him to a 1 year deal for $3-5 million. Probably won't happen, but one can dream.

samurai_sox
08-28-2009, 04:21 PM
We're going to win one of the games in Minnesota? I think that makes you an optimist.

And after the game the Sox will pop champagne to celebrate that they don't have to play at the Metrodump ever again!

DSpivack
08-28-2009, 04:36 PM
If Harden becomes a FA, he'd be a great #5 for the Sox next year if they could sign him to a 1 year deal for $3-5 million. Probably won't happen, but one can dream.

Haha, talk about wishful thinking.

oeo
08-28-2009, 05:48 PM
Haha, talk about wishful thinking.

Do you realize where the market is right now? Scott Kazmir almost got dealt for basically crap. We just got Alex Rios for nothing. Rich Harden is 5 inning starter. As Steve Stone said yesterday on Comcast, if you have him in the rotation, you need a six man rotation. He's not getting some big time contract.

That said, I think even $5 million would be a waste on Harden. He's not going to give you many innings, and he's never been able to consistently stay healthy.

sullythered
08-28-2009, 06:31 PM
Ew. No. Anybody but the Twinks. Tiger fans are way way way less aggravating.

Woofer
08-28-2009, 06:57 PM
I think we match up better with the Yankees than the Twins match up with the Rangers. I think we will win 2 of 3 this weekend. The Twins were clobbered by the Rangers the last time they played them. We have just as much of a chance of winning this division then the Twins do. This season isn't over yet, though it has been a very disappointing one.

DSpivack
08-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Do you realize where the market is right now? Scott Kazmir almost got dealt for basically crap. We just got Alex Rios for nothing. Rich Harden is 5 inning starter. As Steve Stone said yesterday on Comcast, if you have him in the rotation, you need a six man rotation. He's not getting some big time contract.

That said, I think even $5 million would be a waste on Harden. He's not going to give you many innings, and he's never been able to consistently stay healthy.

Kazmir is maybe getting dealt because he has $23 million left on his deal and his ERA this year is nearly 6. The Blue Jays are in a rebuilding mode and got rid of a bad contract.

I don't think the market will be that bad this offseason. Sure, Harden can't go deep into games, but he'll most likely give you a low ERA. I think he'll be able to get significantly better than a 1-year, $3-million deal. Brad Penny got $5 mil this past offseason.

DumpJerry
08-31-2009, 01:17 PM
Harden (and Heilman) will remain with the Cubs for the rest of this season. (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/08/cubs-pass-on-trading-harden-to-twins.html)

Cubs could not work out a deal with the Twins.

Zisk77
08-31-2009, 01:28 PM

I'd predict dan Hudson is our # 5 next year.

veeter
08-31-2009, 01:56 PM
Harden (and Heilman) will remain with the Cubs for the rest of this season. (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/08/cubs-pass-on-trading-harden-to-twins.html)

Cubs could not work out a deal with the Twins.This did not involve writing a huge check, so of course this did not happen. Hendry would have had to do some work. He has missed, God bless him, on every move since the post '08 off-season started. Can we get that man extended?

Chez
08-31-2009, 02:35 PM
So we face Manship tomorrow night and not Harden. I guess that's a good thing.

FielderJones
08-31-2009, 03:56 PM

Why do the White Sox need a porcelain arm that has pitched over 150 innings exactly once in his career at that price? Coop can't fix brittleness.