PDA

View Full Version : Has Pods played himself onto the 2010 team?

Harry Chappas
08-27-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm as surprised - and pleased - at the Scott Podsednik Revival as I'm sure most of you are, but I fear that he has managed to play himself into a spot in the 2010 outfield. The issue I have is that we may have caught lightning in the bottle this year. If he weren't producing offensively, he would be a huge detriment with his glove. Even his baserunning is suspect.

Do you think Kenny has penciled him in at one of the 2010 corner OF spots, assuming Dye either walks or is moved to DH? If they don't renew Pods contract, and given the Peavy/Rios acquisitions, who might the Sox realistically be eyeing for the OF? Jordan Danks and Jared Mitchell seem like they're at least a year away from being ready.

As much as I appreciate what Pods did for us in '05 and what he has done (with his bat) in '09, I don't trust him to stay healthy and he is a serious liability in the field.

soxfanreggie
08-27-2009, 10:58 AM
I think he's played himself to an offer, but I am not sure if he doesn't get a better offer elsewhere. He has a chance to be a starter here if JD leaves, and I would consider giving him a look to start in LF or RF with Quentin taking the other spot. Originally, I would have kept him as the 4th OF, but as I have said before, I could see a team like KC, Cinci, or Pittsburgh giving him a 2 year deal for $6-8 million. The Sox have to decide if he's worth a multiple-year risk. With what he can give as a pinch hitter, pinch runner, and play any OF position in a back-up role (wouldn't want him starting in CF on a regular basis), he might be worth it.

voodoochile
08-27-2009, 11:03 AM
I'd think we'd see a lot less of him in CF next year where he played this year mostly because of the dearth of talent the Sox had there in the first few months. I'd expect them to work TCQ into RF during ST next year and then Pods could play primarily left except when Rios needs a day off and then they might be able to go with Kotsay (who I wouldn't mind keeping around for his flexibility and LH bat off the bench if the price is right).

I think a lot depends on what Kenny does with the DH situation. If they decide to pick up Dye's option (or work a new 2-3 year deal at a reduced rate) and let Thome walk then Pods makes sense, but if they let both Dye and Thome walk it will depend on who Kenny brings in.

I'd like to see Pods back because I think he can continue to do what he's doing for a couple more years at least. I don't buy into the injury issue as much as others because I believe it's misunderstood (his legs weren't the problem, the hernia was the problem and it's been fixed - yes, he's had leg injuries in the past, but they are not what led to him taking so much time off over the last few years).

If he can generate 150 runs from the leadoff slot next season, it would be just fine by me.

WhiteSox5187
08-27-2009, 11:04 AM
I think you give him an offer to be a fourth outfielder, maybe a starting LF if Dye leaves (move Quentin to right). But I don't think he can be play 1a for leadoff.

hawkjt
08-27-2009, 11:05 AM
I really think that Pods has found the key to his muscle strains and has been totally healthy for two seasons now. If he can stay healthy, he is ok strictly as a left fielder/dh.

I think if he continues to produce this last month, he has to be offered a reasonable deal,one year with an option buyout. He likes Chicago, and probably would stay for a two year 4 million dollar deal with a million dollar buyout deal.
If JD does not come on gangbusters this last month, he is on the block.
Thome could join him,but also could be retained. One of these guys has to go. Pods stays,plays left,dh occasionally, and leads off. He is the only guy playing with urgency and any clutchness right now when they need it.

ike from nj
08-27-2009, 11:41 AM
i think he has. i hope not as regular outfielder but as 4th outfielder/dh. i think it makes sense if dye/thome do not return

TomBradley72
08-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Only if TCQ moves to RF so Pods becomes an option in LF. Otherwise, as much as I appreciate his contributions this year...for a 4th/5th OF..I'd rather have someone who can play solid defense, and cover more than just LF. He'll be another year older...and I would anticipate the injury bug returning next year.

Chez
08-27-2009, 11:51 AM
The only scenario in which I bring back Pods is as a DH if Thome leaves. Pods has been great, but we've all witnessed the effects of shoddy defense. Pods cannot play a corner if the other corner is either TCQ or Dye. That's giving up way too much outfield defense.

kittle42
08-27-2009, 11:54 AM
I hope not. He really isn't that good.

LITTLE NELL
08-27-2009, 11:56 AM
If we pick up Figgins or someone like him, Pods does not come back. Kotsay would be the 4th outfielder. We do need a new guy in right field and Pods is not the answer and neither is TCQ, keep him in LF.

Harry Chappas
08-27-2009, 12:08 PM
If we pick up Figgins or someone like him, Pods does not come back. Kotsay would be the 4th outfielder. We do need a new guy in right field and Pods is not the answer and either is TCQ, keep him in LF.

But even if Figgins is there for the taking, any guesses as to what he would cost? Also, would they move Figgins to 3rd, Beckham to SS, and TCM over to 2nd? That doesn't solve your OF woes, but it does strengthen the infield.

I like Podsednik but I think he may be fool's gold. I guess I wouldn't have a huge issue with bringing him back, provided a) it didn't cost much and b) that they have a backup plan in case he starts to suck again.

Rockabilly
08-27-2009, 12:12 PM
I like Pods as a 4th OF..

DirtySox
08-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Only as a fourth outfielder. His numbers are falling back to earth and is pretty much a liability in the field. The Sox need to do better.

PhillipsBubba
08-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Pods has done a good job at the plate...but he's a terrible outfielder and makes many mistakes on the bases...

It's not a lock in my mind that he will be back.

I can see Pods, Thome, Dye and Konerko being elsewhere next year...

It's time to move on...and build a new team with better overall baseball skills.

kittle42
08-27-2009, 12:21 PM

It's time to move on...and build a new team with better overall baseball skills.

Amen.

Johnny Mostil
08-27-2009, 01:03 PM
If he can generate 150 runs from the leadoff slot next season, it would be just fine by me.

Well, who wouldn't, but what makes you think he can generate 150 runs next season? I assume 2003 (100R, 58 RBI) is the only season you'd consider him having done so?

Zisk77
08-27-2009, 01:11 PM
If Dye moves to DH I could see TCQ, Rios, & Kotsay as our OF. If both TCQ and Kotsay can remain healthy that could be a good thing.

DirtySox
08-27-2009, 01:25 PM
If Dye moves to DH I could see TCQ, Rios, & Kotsay as our OF. If both TCQ and Kotsay can remain healthy that could be a good thing.

I would weep if Kotsay is starting anywhere in the outfield next year. Kotsay and Pods are bench players.

Zisk77
08-27-2009, 01:49 PM
I would weep if Kotsay is starting anywhere in the outfield next year. Kotsay and Pods are bench players.

Why? When Kotsay's back has been healthy he has been a solid player. Good defensively too. Now, granted I would prefer a FA stud or maybe the coming of age of Danks/Mitchell but Kotsay way > wise, B.A., Mackowiak, Erstad, Etc.

voodoochile
08-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Well, who wouldn't, but what makes you think he can generate 150 runs next season? I assume 2003 (100R, 58 RBI) is the only season you'd consider him having done so?

his numbers this season are on that pace or close to it. Might be only 145, but it's still pretty damned impressive.

Edit: He's generated 94 runs in 100 games this year.

hawkjt
08-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Only as a fourth outfielder. His numbers are falling back to earth and is pretty much a liability in the field. The Sox need to do better.

Compare Pods second half numbers to anyone else on this team...relative to JD,PK,Alexei,Alex,Thome,Carlos....Pods is kicking butt in the second half.

soxfanreggie
08-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Who knows though, upgrades to every area we want to make may cost too much. We might be "stuck" with keeping Pods for next year while we wait for Danks and Mitchell to develop. Who knows, maybe Danks is ready mid-year next year. We could do a lot worse than having to keep Pods for another year. But, if he gets replaced by someone like Danks, he still becomes a valuable back-up.

hawkjt
08-27-2009, 02:19 PM
So Siegal was trying to make a case this morning that Pods is not well-liked by his teammates ...this was prompted by Pods offhand comment that the team needs to come out with more urgency the other nite and then last nite PK said they just need to do what they always do...

And of course B & B immediately agree that Pods is not well-liked in the clubhouse...

bunch of made up bull for talkradio...I remember MB and Pods were in contact this spring when Pods was out of work...and the big effort by the team in 05 to get Pods to the All star team.. and now he is not liked?

Bull.

Johnny Mostil
08-27-2009, 02:32 PM
his numbers this season are on that pace or close to it. Might be only 145, but it's still pretty damned impressive.

Edit: He's generated 94 runs in 100 games this year.

Well, for that type of production for a whole year, you're also assuming Pods can play at least 150 games a year. Or 140. Something else he hasn't done since his late 20s. But he'll do so in his mid-30s? Though, yes, Ozzie may well throw him out there 140+ times per year regardless of whether he should . . .

Edit: I'm not much on these speculative discussions, so maybe I shouldn't say anything. If Pods is one of the top four or five outfielders the Sox have next spring, so be it. But before penciling in those 150 runs he'll generate in 150+ games, you might want to invest in something with a little more solid potential. Like pixie dust.

voodoochile
08-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Well, for that type of production for a whole year, you're also assuming Pods can play at least 150 games a year. Or 140. Something else he hasn't done since his late 20s. But he'll do so in his mid-30s? Though, yes, Ozzie may well throw him out there 140+ times per year regardless of whether he should . . .

Edit: I'm not much on these speculative discussions, so maybe I shouldn't say anything. If Pods is one of the top four or five outfielders the Sox have next spring, so be it. But before penciling in those 150 runs he'll generate in 150+ games, you might want to invest in something with a little more solid potential. Like pixie dust.

If he could only play 130 game but generate 120 runs in those 130 games next year, he'd be worth a contract offer.

LoveYourSuit
08-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Pods has done a good job at the plate...but he's a terrible outfielder and makes many mistakes on the bases...

The faster we can turn the page to this 2005 core, the quicker the Sox will be able to build for a sustained long run.

The moves Kenny has made lately work in that effect because he is not bringing in rentals anymore.

soxfanreggie
08-27-2009, 03:47 PM
He also doesn't seem like the type of player who is going to give it less than his best if he's on the bench for a while. Sometimes a super-sub utility player who knows his role can be the glue that holds a team together through the regular season and straight into the playoffs.

We could very well be without Pods, Dye, and Thome, but I believe PK will be back next year. It would be very hard to replace our top 3 power hitters. Also, I'm not sure the market value for PK, but I wouldn't think we'd get a good offer for him.

voodoochile
08-27-2009, 03:57 PM
He also doesn't seem like the type of player who is going to give it less than his best if he's on the bench for a while. Sometimes a super-sub utility player who knows his role can be the glue that holds a team together through the regular season and straight into the playoffs.

We could very well be without Pods, Dye, and Thome, but I believe PK will be back next year. It would be very hard to replace our top 3 power hitters. Also, I'm not sure the market value for PK, but I wouldn't think we'd get a good offer for him.

I don't think there's any chance that PK isn't back with the team next year and if both Dye and Thome leave, I expect KW to make a trade or sign a bat to replace them I believe Bay is a FA, but that's probably a pipe dream. I also would like to see KW make a run at acquiring Dunn from the Nationals. He'd add a big power LH bat as well as backing up the corner OF slots and PK at 1B. Basically, he'd be a younger LH Dye with a bit more flexibility.

Lip Man 1
08-27-2009, 04:02 PM
I'd LOVE to see the Sox get Bay in fact I recall some threads here at WSI talking about trying to get him when he was with the Pirates. Dunn would be fine as long as he is strictly a DH in my opinion.

Regarding Pods, I could see offering him a deal to be a 4th outfielder, occasional starter type with also coming off the bench in late innings as a speed threat. But nothing long term and certainly not as a starter, his defense is a killer.

Lip

Zisk77
08-27-2009, 04:34 PM
I don't think there's any chance that PK isn't back with the team next year and if both Dye and Thome leave, I expect KW to make a trade or sign a bat to replace them I believe Bay is a FA, but that's probably a pipe dream. I also would like to see KW make a run at acquiring Dunn from the Nationals. He'd add a big power LH bat as well as backing up the corner OF slots and PK at 1B. Basically, he'd be a younger LH Dye with a bit more flexibility.

I think Dunn is the exact type of player we are trying to get away from. All or nothing guy that is a liability in the field and can not score from 2b on a single or from 1b on an extra base hit. He also isn't basically a LH version of Dye. Dye is a good hitter (slump being the exception) that hits for average as well as power. He is more the young version of Thome. ideally our Of would be TCQ, Rios and someone like Crawford or even Holiday (is he trending down with the Cards?:wink:) or Figgins.

TomBradley72
08-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Pods has been a nice story and has helped us this year...but I think even his baserunning/stolen base value is overstated. Looking at the SB rankings in the AL...Pods is #13 with 20 among the leaders, but among the top 36 in SBs he's 36th in his SB % vs. Caught Stealing.

He'll be another year older, still horrible in the field with a weak arm...I'd invite him to spring training...but I would not offer him a guaranteed contract...and definitely not a multi year deal.

kufram
08-27-2009, 06:48 PM
All of the reasons not to have Pods next year are valid. Although I'm a huge fan of what he has given the White Sox this year and I love to see a guy go from sitting at home unwanted to being integral to a major league team in a matter of days. there are weaknesses that have been exposed recently. Saying that, I don't remember his defense being expensive or a big issue in 2005 which was a good defensive club.

My criteria on whether to sign him or not would be, simply, this. Do we have a viable, known quantity to replace him in the batting order? If yes then let another team have him but not KC.. where he can hurt us. If the the answer is no then give Pods the job. We've seen what a team without a leadoff hitter is like before he rode to the rescue this year.

thomas35forever
08-27-2009, 06:51 PM
If we can't get Figgins, not only is Pods our best option at lead-off, but he'd be cheaper too. If Dye goes, then would we see an OF of Pods-Rios-Quentin? My only request is that if something's gone to his head about this Rios thing, he just forget about it because if he's on the team next year, he's got nothing to worry about. A multi-year deal is definitely something I would avoid because if he gets hurt again, I don't wanna be stuck with him. Of course, that would create a problem in that regard.

hawkjt
08-27-2009, 08:04 PM
My question is also...can this team discard a leadoff hitter who hits .300 and steals 30 bases? Who else is going to do that on this team?
Our problem is that he is our second best hitter average wise, and yet fans say he needs to go, and we are a horrible hitting team.
We need more guys that hit.300 not less.

jabrch
08-27-2009, 08:12 PM
I'd be fine with him as a 4th OF.

soxfanreggie
08-27-2009, 08:15 PM
My question is also...can this team discard a leadoff hitter who hits .300 and steals 30 bases?

Right now, I think he's too valuable to let go, even for his value as a back-up. His (most likely) only shot at a multi-year deal as a starter is with a small market team looking to have him catch lightning in a bottle for one of those two seasons. A player like Pods hitting .300 the type of performance with 30-40 SBs is what helps them compete for a division title. We might not be up to taking the risk, but I believe a small market team would.

hawkjt
08-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Right now, I think he's too valuable to let go, even for his value as a back-up. His (most likely) only shot at a multi-year deal as a starter is with a small market team looking to have him catch lightning in a bottle for one of those two seasons. A player like Pods hitting .300 the type of performance with 30-40 SBs is what helps them compete for a division title. We might not be up to taking the risk, but I believe a small market team would.

And the Sox are going to have a sure thing for lead-off next year in who?
There is no one on the horizon in our farm system, and FA's are few and far between. I think if anyone can afford a 2 year deal and gambling the second year would be a bigger market team that has no other options like....the White Sox. They just said he has gotten on base 24 consecutive games...who else does that on the sox?

Lillian
08-28-2009, 11:31 AM
I would start with the perspective of how this team can become defensively competent.
Centerfield is now solid with Rios
A middle infield of Alexei and Nix would give them a potentially great double play combination, providing that TCM plays smarter.
Beckham appears to have the tools to develop into an outstanding third baseman.
Konerko is very good at First
A.J. will catch.
Quentin's defense would be acceptable in RF, or above average in LF
So that leaves one outfield spot.
Unless they are going to spend some more big money, the current choices are Kotsay or Pods. If they resign Pods, he plays left, and if they resign Kotsay he plays right and Quentin simply stays in LF. If they both resign, then Kotsay becomes a back up outfielder and First Baseman.

They will probably need to commit more money to the Bullpen, so perhaps they should try to get by with the fore mentioned group. I think Dye is gone, unless he really does "tear up" that contract and sign for far less than the option. His value has really plummeted since the ASB. Moreover, I don't think that he should be on the field defensively anymore. If they resign Thome, J.D. would have no place to play.

Now the offense is another matter, and most of us probably have several concerns there. However, for me fixing this defense should be a very high priority. Taking Dye off the field, and moving Pods out of CF are a good start.

veeter
08-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Pods is a very good hitter. But that's it. He's not only not good at everything else, he kills you at times. I could live with his shoddy defense, if he was a stud on the bases. But he gets picked off every other game. I really like the guy, but I think we can do better. It's time to tighten up this team.

tstrike2000
08-28-2009, 02:10 PM
I hope not. He really isn't that good.

He's never batted close to .300 two years in a row, so according to that trend he'll regress again next year. That coupled with his injury history and bad defense, I don't see him on the team next year unless he wants to be a backup.

soxfanreggie
08-28-2009, 02:16 PM
And the Sox are going to have a sure thing for lead-off next year in who?
There is no one on the horizon in our farm system, and FA's are few and far between. I think if anyone can afford a 2 year deal and gambling the second year would be a bigger market team that has no other options like....the White Sox. They just said he has gotten on base 24 consecutive games...who else does that on the sox?

Nobody. Unless we go out and spend big $$$ in the FA market or trade for someone, we aren't going to have a sure-thing. Given his injury history, not even Pods is a sure thing.

Craig Grebeck
08-28-2009, 02:55 PM
God I hope not.

Madscout
08-28-2009, 03:28 PM
I would like to see him next year, but I won't accept him anywhere other than 4th OF or LF, because that is all Pods should be doing.

Defense has been a big topic in this thread, and I want to add my two cents...

As far as defense goes, I think we need to drill the heck out of the infield next year and in the offseason. Alexi needs to learn how to communicate with the other players, and we need to review responsibilities like crazy. The majority of the maddening errors this season have been when a player does not know what his job is, not from a lack of skill. Missing cut off men, not correctly playing the double play, and infielders not knowing where to be on a cut off, among others have been big ones this year, and they need to be addressed.
There is no one player who is a said "problem" defensively on this team. Dye is mentioned a lot, but other than being slow, he really is not a liability out there. If he can get to it, he can catch it, and he has a very good arm. But the way this team plays as a whole defensively as a unite is not there yet.

hawkjt
08-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Pods is a very good hitter. But that's it. He's not only not good at everything else, he kills you at times. I could live with his shoddy defense, if he was a stud on the bases. But he gets picked off every other game. I really like the guy, but I think we can do better. It's time to tighten up this team.

Figgins has been picked off more than Pods...10-8.
I just think the pickings are very slim for leadoff hitters.
Pods was not getting hammered for his defense in left ,but then he started playing center and that hurt him...
He is strictly a left fielder. Carlos in right,Alex in center. Kotsay plays all.
Of course he could get hurt again, but he has had a pretty long run of good health since he started a different workout regime.
And, like we think Carlos is a good gamble also?
Unless kenny pulls a rabbit outta his hat, Pods is our best bet to lead off,imo. I like a leadoff hitter to hit, and get on, and actually drive in big runs, all of which pods has done this year.

veeter
08-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Figgins has been picked off more than Pods...10-8.
I just think the pickings are very slim for leadoff hitters.
Pods was not getting hammered for his defense in left ,but then he started playing center and that hurt him...
He is strictly a left fielder. Carlos in right,Alex in center. Kotsay plays all.
Of course he could get hurt again, but he has had a pretty long run of good health since he started a different workout regime.
And, like we think Carlos is a good gamble also?
Unless kenny pulls a rabbit outta his hat, Pods is our best bet to lead off,imo. I like a leadoff hitter to hit, and get on, and actually drive in big runs, all of which pods has done this year.There's no way Figgins is dumber on the bases than Pods.

hawkjt
08-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Figgins should be 8 times smarter as he makes 8 times what Pods does.
Point is, base-stealers have to be aggressive on the base paths...that leads to being picked off. Pods has screwed up on at least 3-4 of those pickoffs...in a 100 games...at least he is on base. I remember our other leadoff experiments this year...not on base, so they rarely got picked off...great.

Lip Man 1
08-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Hawk:

I'm assuming your comment should be in teal about a guy being smarter because he makes more money than someone else.

If it's a realistic choice, based on the contract he wants, there is no debate between Figgins and Podsednik. None.

Figgins can stabilize the leadoff spot AND play multiple positions for the next three or four seasons. He is not a defensive liability.

No disrespect to Scotty but the odds of him staying healthy let alone having another season like this one are long...and that's based on his career.

That's why in a perfect world you nab Figgins, whom Kenny has had his eye one for awhile, AND get Pods to a reasonable one year deal as a bench guy, late speed guy, occasional starter.

Lip

Hitmen77
08-28-2009, 06:59 PM
I'd bring Pods back if he'd do so as a 4th OF at a reasonable price. His errors are just brutal and I think it would be really unwise for the Sox to assume that he will have a repeat .300 season for us again.

Konerko isn't going anywhere being owed $12 million next year and with a full NTC.

Otherwise I agree, I can see Thome, Dye, and Pods all gone for 2010. Regarding Thome and Dye, we've tried to win with PK-Dye-Thome as the heart of our lineup for 4 seasons now and we more often than not our offense hasn't clicked and we have a maddeningly inconsistent lineup.

Thome and Dye make a combined $24.5 million for 2009. I suppose just about all of that is already taken up for next year by Peavy's and Rios's salaries. Dye's option for '10 is $12 million. Perhaps one of them could come back at a drastically reduced salary, but I don't know if that's going to happen.

....of course, if all 3 of these guys go then the Sox have 2 huge holes to fill at RF and DH.

Frater Perdurabo
08-28-2009, 08:14 PM
....of course, if all 3 of these guys go then the Sox have 2 huge holes to fill at RF and DH.

If Dye and Thome are both gone, my first choice would be Carl Crawford, and have hit hit third, between Beckham and Quentin. But if the Rays pick up Crawford's option, how about Bobby Abreu? He hits for high average and OBP, and can still hit homers and steal bases.

DonnieDarko
08-28-2009, 08:22 PM
If Dye and Thome are both gone, my first choice would be Carl Crawford, and have hit hit third, between Beckham and Quentin. But if the Rays pick up Crawford's option, how about Bobby Abreu? He hits for high average and OBP, and can still hit homers and steal bases.

Sounds...expensive.

soxfanreggie
08-28-2009, 08:42 PM
We're paying Rios to be a "big time" player. Hopefully he can take one of the 3-4-5 spots. But you're right, we need to bring in another stick. If Thome goes, it would be wise to get a LH one, or else we become dangerously right-handed.

Craig Grebeck
08-28-2009, 09:08 PM
We're paying Rios to be a "big time" player. Hopefully he can take one of the 3-4-5 spots. But you're right, we need to bring in another stick. If Thome goes, it would be wise to get a LH one, or else we become dangerously right-handed.
There is no such thing as long as our right-handers hit righty pitching.

hawkjt
08-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Hawk:

I'm assuming your comment should be in teal about a guy being smarter because he makes more money than someone else.

If it's a realistic choice, based on the contract he wants, there is no debate between Figgins and Podsednik. None.

Figgins can stabilize the leadoff spot AND play multiple positions for the next three or four seasons. He is not a defensive liability.

No disrespect to Scotty but the odds of him staying healthy let alone having another season like this one are long...and that's based on his career.

That's why in a perfect world you nab Figgins, whom Kenny has had his eye one for awhile, AND get Pods to a reasonable one year deal as a bench guy, late speed guy, occasional starter.

Lip

My point was that Figgins commands 6 millon + and Pods can be had for about 1.5 million...so yes, Figgins is a better player,and if we have unlimited payroll, by all means add him, but somehow I do not think we have unlimited payroll and if so, then we may not afford Figgins, hence we take the guy who is not quite as good,but makes far less money.
Figgins has better numbers but he has been picked off more than Pods which seems to be a huge issue with Sox fans, so if we do get Figgins,he will be getting hammered for it also, I imagine.

Zisk77
08-28-2009, 11:00 PM
There is no such thing as long as our right-handers hit righty pitching.

OMG I agree with Grebeck! (I feel dirty) While lefty/righty balance is a good thing to have its overated. The key is to get the best players. Look at the Phils. They were a lefty dominated team and lost Burrell. Did they then get the best RH bat available? No they got the best bat in Raul Ibanez. The Cubs wanted to get more RH and dumped DeRosa for Bradley. How did that work out?

Besides righties don't generally struggle against Righties as they spend their whole like hitting against them. Its lefties that struggle hitting lefties because they are much rarer.

Tragg
08-28-2009, 11:03 PM
If Williams really wants a defense/pitching and "manufacturing runs" type of offense, then he needs to get a legitimate leadoff hitter on this team. Pods when healthy is pretty good, but we need better than that.
Yet, if you send him away, Ozzie will probbly come up with another clown like Owens, Erstad or Wise and decide that he's a "tremendous" leadoff hitter.

Also complicating matters is that Quentin is a left fielder, as is Pods.

Zisk77
08-28-2009, 11:11 PM
If Williams really wants a defense/pitching and "manufacturing runs" type of offense, then he needs to get a legitimate leadoff hitter on this team. Pods when healthy is pretty good, but we need better than that.
Yet, if you send him away, Ozzie will probbly come up with another clown like Owens, Erstad or Wise and decide that he's a "tremendous" leadoff hitter.

Also complicating matters is that Quentin is a left fielder, as is Pods.

Question is where can u get a good leadoff?

Options:

Trade the farm for Crawford and then break the bank to pay him to keep him here.

Overpay to get Figgins.

Chris Getz

Alex Rios (he did it for awhile in toronto but not a good option imo)

Re-sign Pods

or who?

Lip Man 1
08-28-2009, 11:36 PM
Zisk:

How do you know they'd have to "overpay" to get Figgins?

Do you know how the off season market is going to look in this economy? No one knows anything yet. Many are saying the market will be as much in the buyer's favor next off season as in the past one.

I don't know how it will go but I think it's to early to make a statement like that.

Other possibilities (don't know how good of a possibility) are two players Kenny has had interest in the past, Brian Roberts and Gary Matthews Jr.

Lip

Craig Grebeck
08-28-2009, 11:38 PM
Zisk:

Do you know how the off season market is going to look in this economy? No one knows anything yet. Many are saying the market will be as much in the buyer's favor next off season as in the past one.

I don't know how it will go but I think it's to early to make a statement like that.

Other possibilities (don't know how good of a possibility) are two players Kenny has had interest in the past, Brian Roberts and Gary Matthews Jr.

Lip
Did you say that with a straight face?

Waysouthsider
08-28-2009, 11:50 PM
This has turned into such a mess how do you fix it....? I love Pods, but he needs to leave....probably same with Thome and Dye...

Lip Man 1
08-28-2009, 11:58 PM
Grebeck:

My sources have told me that Kenny was giving consideration to him before the start of the 2007 season.

Take it for whatever that's worth to you.

That's why I used the name with "a straight face..." There was interest in the past and you've seen how often Kenny eventually gets players he's had his eye on for some time. The people that I speak with, know a ton about the situation more then I do. When they talk, I listen.

Lip

Craig Grebeck
08-29-2009, 12:07 AM
Grebeck:

My sources have told me that Kenny was giving consideration to him before the start of the 2007 season.

Take it for whatever that's worth to you.

That's why I used the name with "a straight face..." There was interest in the past and you've seen how often Kenny eventually gets players he's had his eye on for some time. The people that I speak with, know a ton about the situation more then I do. When they talk, I listen.

Lip
That was 2007. If anyone tells you or has told you that there is interest in Sarge Jr., you should probably put them on mute.

Zisk77
08-29-2009, 01:37 AM
Zisk:

Lip

Figgins is most likely the only quality leadoff man on the market and he can play anywhere. Whoever gets him will most likely have to over pay. Brian Roberts signed a long term deal with balt. He isn't going anywhere. No one wants steriod boy matthews.

Zisk77
08-29-2009, 01:44 AM
Also realize Figgins is a Jack of all trades but a master of none. I think you would find that if Chone was an everyday 2b his defense would be no better than Getz and probably worse.

Now I like Figgins and have for awhile but he isn't coming cheap. He also would probably benefit us more as our LF and leadoff hitter.

russ99
08-29-2009, 08:07 AM
Also realize Figgins is a Jack of all trades but a master of none. I think you would find that if Chone was an everyday 2b his defense would be no better than Getz and probably worse.

Now I like Figgins and have for awhile but he isn't coming cheap. He also would probably benefit us more as our LF and leadoff hitter.

Figgins is also a bit older than most FA's and has an injury history. He won't come cheap, but I can see him signing for less than $10M.

Back on topic, how much would Pods really want to re-sign? I very much doubt it's a lot. So why not bring him back? Even if he's not starting regularly, he'd be a great pinch hitter/pinch runner.

Besides, he may take less since the Sox pulled him off the garbage heap and gave him another chance this year.

I wonder if this spring's "kids can't play" debacle would change how Kenny handles bringing up rookies to fill roster spots next year. Would he rather re-sign Pods instead of giving someone like Jordan Danks the backup outfielder role?

Zisk77
08-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Figgins is also a bit older than most FA's and has an injury history. He won't come cheap, but I can see him signing for less than $10M.

Back on topic, how much would Pods really want to re-sign? I very much doubt it's a lot. So why not bring him back? Even if he's not starting regularly, he'd be a great pinch hitter/pinch runner.

Besides, he may take less since the Sox pulled him off the garbage heap and gave him another chance this year.

I wonder if this spring's "kids can't play" debacle would change how Kenny handles bringing up rookies to fill roster spots next year. Would he rather re-sign Pods instead of giving someone like Jordan Danks the backup outfielder role?

I think the kids have done fine. If you remember we got back in the race when the top and bottom of the order started producing and scoring runs. They were reeking havoc on the basepaths and manufacturing runs. The problem I saw was Veterans like Konerko and ye went into prolonged slumps and TCQ hasnt found the groove. Our defense has been poor everywhere.

Personally I am exited about the future and frustrated as hell about the present. we are likely to get even younger as at least some of Tome, Konerko, Dye, & Aj gets phase out for Flowers, Viciedo, Danks, etc. Alos Hudson may join the rotation soon.

hawkjt
08-29-2009, 12:59 PM
If they can go get figgins, fine. But barring that, or another proven leadoff guy, then re-sign Pods. Second on the team in hitting with RISP...327...not bad. This team sorely lacks clutch hitters, and deny it all you want, Pods has been right there with Gordo(what a sad commentary) as the two best guys in the clutch.
I love JD, but someone pointed out that he is a career .238 with RISP...over a career, that number should be close to your career average,I would think.

russ99
08-29-2009, 02:07 PM
I think the kids have done fine. If you remember we got back in the race when the top and bottom of the order started producing and scoring runs. They were reeking havoc on the basepaths and manufacturing runs. The problem I saw was Veterans like Konerko and ye went into prolonged slumps and TCQ hasnt found the groove. Our defense has been poor everywhere.

Personally I am exited about the future and frustrated as hell about the present. we are likely to get even younger as at least some of Tome, Konerko, Dye, & Aj gets phase out for Flowers, Viciedo, Danks, etc. Alos Hudson may join the rotation soon.

That "top and bottom of the order" moment was three months into the season, and we'd ditched Fields, Betemit, Anderson, Miller and Lillibridge, with Wise and Nix still clinging to the roster despite awful numbers.

Also, Beckham didn't come up until after 2 months into the season.

That said, I wouldn't mind to see some rookies come up, but only when they're MLB ready and can produce, and not 5-6 at a time like this spring. Maybe bring in a guy or two a year, only when they're ready.

The pitching side is nowhere near as problematic as the hitters when it comes to call-ups.