PDA

View Full Version : A.J. Pierzynski (The Most Hated Man In Baseball)

VeeckAsInWreck
08-27-2009, 09:50 AM
ESPN did a piece on A.J. (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4419021&categoryid=2378529) being the most hated man in baseball. He's a true entertainer and loves being hated.

I don't want Ozzie fired, but when the time comes for him to step down, I think AJ would make a great manager.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-27-2009, 09:53 AM
What a great piece. AJ WILL be a great manager someday.

"Both of them are retired, so now I'M # 1."

Rohan
08-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Captain Chaos... I like that...

I hope this guy never leaves the organization. I wouldn't mind signing him to a long term deal in 2010 even if it means a raise.

Noneck
08-27-2009, 10:08 AM
AJ WILL be a great manager someday.

Wrestling or baseball?

WhiteSox5187
08-27-2009, 10:11 AM
It's not that AJ isn't smart enough to be a manager but I think he is so superstitious that he'd go nuts as a manager. Maybe I'm wrong.

By the way from everything I've heard from people who have met him and such, he is supposed to be a very nice guy off of the field. And his teammates love him.

areilly
08-27-2009, 10:12 AM

Wrestling or baseball?

I was thinking gentlemen's club.

[ba-dum]

TDog
08-27-2009, 10:17 AM
I don't really know why opposing fans hate him as much as they do. When he came up in Oakland a couple of weeks ago, he came up leading off the inning in a close (at that point) game and someone behind me screamed, "hit him, he deserves it."

ike from nj
08-27-2009, 10:38 AM
I don't really know why opposing fans hate him as much as they do. When he came up in Oakland a couple of weeks ago, he came up leading off the inning in a close (at that point) game and someone behind me screamed, "hit him, he deserves it."
agree especially since he seldom gets a clutch hit

hi im skot
08-27-2009, 11:16 AM
agree especially since he seldom gets a clutch hit

Take it to another thread.

:walkoff:

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Made my day!

Real quick edit: Maybe he doesn't continually produce in the clutch, but I feel as if when he does come through, it's HUGE.

Example A: Post above. Who doesn't know when that pic was taken? Simply iconic

Example B: 05' ALCS. Maybe not a clutch hit, but it was easily the biggest moment of that series. I hope I don't need to explain to anyone what happened.

Example C: 07/01/06. As much as we try and act like we don't care about The Crosstown Series, this was sweet sweet SWEET revenge. Getting a sucker punch in, or winning the game in the 9th inning? I'll take a game-winning 2-run homer.

Madvora
08-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Hilarious. He's such a dork.

thechico
08-27-2009, 12:09 PM
2 things that I can think of

1. Serve as a lightning rod. He doesn't seem to mind.
2. Get inside of pitchers' heads with his antics.

Personally, I love him. I'd invite him and his family to my house for dinner.

chisoxfanatic
08-27-2009, 12:54 PM
He also knows the game in-and-out more than anyone in baseball. He remembers those obscure rules in baseball and uses that to his advantage. That has proved to be helpful at times.

kittle42
08-27-2009, 12:56 PM
He also knows the game in-and-out more than anyone in baseball. He remembers those obscure rules in baseball and uses that to his advantage. That has proved to be helpful at times.

A dropped third strike isn't that obscure.

gobears1987
08-27-2009, 01:17 PM
That may be true, but the flop he took on the base paths against the Rays last year won us a game and without that W, we don't play in Game 163.

areilly
08-27-2009, 02:02 PM
That may be true, but the flop he took on the base paths against the Rays last year won us a game and without that W, we don't play in Game 163.

That wasn't really exploiting an obscure rule either. More like being a good salesman.

rdwj
08-27-2009, 02:11 PM
ESPN did a piece on A.J. (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4419021&categoryid=2378529) being the most hated man in baseball. He's a true entertainer and loves being hated.

I don't want Ozzie fired, but when the time comes for him to step down, I think AJ would make a great manager.

Agree 100%. Are player / managers still allowed in this day and age? If so, it would be nice to keep AJ around for a good long time as a back-up catcher / bench manager. It would give him the opportunity to ease into the role.

Waysouthsider
08-27-2009, 02:14 PM
The guy is awesome.....smart, talented, and focused.....I'd love to see him manage....!

doublem23
08-27-2009, 02:33 PM

Whatever you call AJ's actions, a smart play, a flop, etc. there is still a ton of blame to go o the player on the Rays (whatever his name was) for trailing the play like an idiot and putting himself in that situation. Its fundamental baseball that on a run down, if you don't have the ball, you clear out of the basepath and get back to a bag... Hanging around for no reason, as this guy did, opens up the possibility for you to commit interference.

Maybe AJ took advantage of the situation, but he was only in that situation because someone on the other team made a huge mental mistake.

BadBobbyJenks
08-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Schilling and Bonds both retired, that means I'm Number One. Haha, good stuff.

The AJ booing just proves that people are sheep.

thomas35forever
08-27-2009, 06:46 PM
That was a fairly entertaining piece. If AJ's not a manager when he retires (and he'll be an EXCELLENT one at that), he'll definitely make a good broadcaster in some capacity.

Ron Karkovice
08-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Padilla is more hated

MeteorsSox4367
08-27-2009, 07:47 PM
At one of the games I attended this season, Pierzynski did a pop-up slide into home plate and kind of crossed his arms as he popped up. I mentioned to my brother that "A.J. even slides like an (bleep)hole."

Which is why he's my favorite player on the team. He may be a pain in the ass, but he's our pain in the ass.

And the picture of his homer against the Dodgers in 2005, is classic. Love the "What? Like I wasn't going to come through?" look on his face.

35th&Shields
08-28-2009, 10:29 AM

Funny you say that, I was just thinking the other day how AJ will be a great manager. He is a very smart player, and knows (obviously) a lot about pitching.

He'd be great. Only question is if he's made too much money to want to manage.

kitekrazy
08-28-2009, 10:44 AM
A.J. probably has a better sense of reality when it comes to fans. Begin loved and hated is part of the game.

The Critic
08-28-2009, 10:53 AM
I like him so much that I couldn't bring myself to boo him even if he went back to the Twins and talked smack about the Sox.
I was at a game with my wife and AJ slid into home and kind of spun around as he popped back up and I just laughed and said "he even slides like a jerk!".

ramblinsoxfan11
08-28-2009, 11:07 AM
hahaha that was great! I love AJ, especially because cubs fans hate him. He definitely will go down as one of the greatest catchers for the White Sox.

Law11
08-28-2009, 11:36 AM
I would love to play for a guy like AJ. hard working does his homework and takes no BS.

twinsuck
08-28-2009, 11:37 AM
I was at that game, it was awesome. :D:

tstrike2000
08-28-2009, 12:48 PM

Smart catchers typically can make good managers. Handling of pitching, emphasis on defense, and what to do in situations I could see AJ doing well.

ajgirl
08-28-2009, 03:26 PM
I have been saying that AJ would make a great manager for the past 2 years!! As far as the money issue, if he's as smart as I think he is he's made sure that money won't be an issue down the road. I would hate it, not HIM, if he went to manage in another ball club though.

PennStater98r
08-31-2009, 09:25 AM

Yes, but taking a step back toward your dugout and then turning around and running to first after the ball is being rolled back to the mound is. In fact, wasn't there a rule created because of that play - that if you turn toward your dugout after strike three, you're out?

JohnnyInnsbrook
08-31-2009, 09:31 AM
Yes, but taking a step back toward your dugout and then turning around and running to first after the ball is being rolled back to the mound is. In fact, wasn't there a rule created because of that play - that if you turn toward your dugout after strike three, you're out?

Not exactly, if the play happend again today A.J. would still be safe.

Rule 6.09(b) Comment: A batter who does not realize his situation on a third strike not caught, and who is not in the process of running to first base, shall be declared out once he leaves the dirt circle surrounding home plate."

Edit:
Then again, they probably made the rule so the other team couldn't complain next time this happens.