PDA

View Full Version : How much have you given up?

doublem23
08-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Let the depression fly, WSI!!!

ChicagoG19
08-26-2009, 11:35 PM
I think a loss tomorrow will have me throwing in the towel.

Boondock Saint
08-26-2009, 11:36 PM
I gave up yesterday.

*shrugs*

DSpivack
08-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Not sure. I had completely given up after getting swept in Minnesota last September.

michned
08-26-2009, 11:39 PM
As a group, it's been interesting watching us go through the four stages of grief: denial, anger, depression, and acceptance.

I think collectively, WSI is in the depression stage. You could feel it in the postgame thread.

gobears1987
08-26-2009, 11:41 PM
I answered 50%, and I feel ashamed for doing so. This team can win it, but things need to come together. The Sox are better than their record. I look at this roster and I see underachievement. This team has shown it can click for stretches and be unbeatable when it does click.

:gulp:Here's to hoping they click and do so damn soon!

GoGoCrede
08-26-2009, 11:43 PM
As a group, it's been interesting watching us go through the four stages of grief: denial, anger, depression, and acceptance.

I think collectively, WSI is in the depression stage. You could feel it in the postgame thread.

Postgame thread wasn't even as much fun. Usually you've got pages of hilarious mass hysteria, but everyone seems like they just flatlined tonight.

doublem23
08-26-2009, 11:45 PM
Postgame thread wasn't even as much fun. Usually you've got pages of hilarious mass hysteria, but everyone seems like they just flatlined tonight.

As a moderator, I'll take that over the ****ing last few weeks of fighting.

chisoxfanatic
08-26-2009, 11:45 PM
About 50/50.

gobears1987
08-26-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm at a complete loss of words for the team's performance the past few weeks. I just can't explain why proven players are failing to execute in key situations. It defies logic, but despite what I've seen I refuse to give up on the 2009 White Sox until the elimination # = 0. It will probably lead to some painful weeks ahead, but so long as winning the AL Central is possible, looking at our schedule it is, I'll be behind them.

manders_01
08-26-2009, 11:59 PM
I've always been amazed that in life I'm hugely pessimistic but when it comes to my sports teams, it's not over till it's absolutely over. :D:

BadBobbyJenks
08-27-2009, 12:00 AM
I think even the dog knew I was depressed as I walked him around the town tonight after the game.

I am definitely in the 75% camp simply because it is still a 4.5 game deficit, but it sure feels like it is over.

whitesoxfan
08-27-2009, 12:20 AM
I think even the dog knew I was depressed as I walked him around the town tonight after the game.

I am definitely in the 75% camp simply because it is still a 4.5 game deficit, but it sure feels like it is over.

That's how I feel.

When I saw Ortiz hit the walkoff, though, I wasn't even pissed off. That's not a good sign when that happens..

JB98
08-27-2009, 12:20 AM
0 percent. I think the team fails at everything and isn't going anywhere.

That said, I've been wrong many times before. I've put up with this team's bull**** for 127 games. What's 35 more? I don't see any point in giving up.

pistolesatdawn
08-27-2009, 12:44 AM
50/50

I'm sure it's happened before, but it seems so much more of a glaring issue this year for me regarding their inability to get runners in scoring position home when they have nobody out. They should be able to do it, they just don't. But as always, I'll keep hope until it's dead.

soltrain21
08-27-2009, 12:47 AM
Throw them out of the league.

gobears1987
08-27-2009, 12:56 AM
Throw them out of the league.
:rolleyes:

soltrain21
08-27-2009, 01:03 AM
:rolleyes:

Oh jeez. It was a joke. I picked 75 percent.

oeo
08-27-2009, 01:05 AM
I'm pissed, I'm depressed, I'm losing confidence, however I can't give up. Last year I gave up after the Twinkie sweep. Never again will I quit, but I still want to cry.

I think Contreras woke up a sleeping giant when he slipped and fell, I just hope we can pull one game out at Fenway.

soltrain21
08-27-2009, 01:06 AM
I'm pissed, I'm depressed, I'm losing confidence, however I can't give up. Last year I gave up after the Twinkie sweep. Never again will I quit, but I still want to cry.

It's a game where a bunch of grown men hit a ball with a stick. Don't let it depress you.

doublem23
08-27-2009, 01:09 AM
It's a game where a bunch of grown men hit a ball with a stick. Don't let it depress you.

It's still a large emotional investment you have to make year after year. Anything that can bring you a lot of joy, by definition, has to be able to bring you a lot of disappointment, too. That's just the way it works.

oeo
08-27-2009, 01:12 AM

I guess I could have worded that better. I'm not depressed, talking about the White Sox or thinking about them is depressing right now. In the end, baseball is just a game, I know that. There are more important things, it just sucks to be a Sox fan right now.

Sox
08-27-2009, 01:30 AM
I don't get this Jekyll and Hyde team right now.....just when it seems like their starting to build some momentum then they turn around and have a crappy series against a team that they should be beating. Blown opportunities in the end do not a playoff make.

pudge
08-27-2009, 02:38 AM
Not sure. I had completely given up after getting swept in Minnesota last September.

Giving up at that time makes no sense. Giving up now makes perfect sense. Two totally different situations.

Noneck
08-27-2009, 02:46 AM
The shroud is being unfolded and the corpse is getting ready to be covered.

Domeshot17
08-27-2009, 02:49 AM
We are only 4.5 back, so with a good weekend we could be right back in it. So I haven't totally given up.

That said, I have zero expectations of this team. They either lack Heart or they lack "Fortitude". They look like a team that has totally mailed it in.

I more have hope the Tigers will keep crumbling.

If I had to make a prediction, it would be that we enter the final stretch vs the Tigers and Twins with a real chance to take the division, and we piss it away with bad defense and poor pitching in the bullpen. Lose some games 11-9 and some 2-1.

I just hope this wakes up Kenny a little and he doesn't give the usual company line bull**** in the offseason. We need a team with a leader, a team that can score in different ways. We need more balance in the lineup (and no, that does NOT MEAN speed in the 3-4-5 slots). We need backups who can hit .270 and give our guys rest. We need a SS who gives a crap about defense. We need to move Beckham to the middle IF and get a slugging 3b. We need a bullpen thats good.

The AWESOME THING is we can fill these holes 2 at a time. However, to do so, 1 of Ozzie or Kenny should go. Ozzie and the way he manages has cost us several games this year. The man every year sells us that he will make the Sox fundamentally sound. That is his card. Well when they lose because they aren't, someone needs to be held accountable.

kufram
08-27-2009, 03:12 AM
I can't see the point in giving up with so many games to go and 4.5 games out. It is hard to keep watching a team that should win games, gets itself into a position to win.... just lose those games so predictably.

I look at each position and think we have a very good team.

Beckham IS the 3rd baseman, TCM IS the shortstop... now and for the future. Getz and Nix are going to be good 2nd base/infield backup. Paulie is aging but has another good year in him, I reckon. Kotsay is good backup.

The outfield needs to lose a guy. Probably Dye although I hate to say it. I'd love to see Thome hit number 600 in a White Sox uniform but whichever of the 2 is kept I can live with.

Errors are hurting but not killing us.

AJ is the catcher and has good backup.

The rotation is a number 5 away from excellent.

Bullpen? God knows. THAT is our biggest weakness now and for the future. Not very long ago it was doing a great job. Go figure

oeo
08-27-2009, 03:47 AM
That said, I have zero expectations of this team. They either lack Heart or they lack "Fortitude". They look like a team that has totally mailed it in.

You know, people said the same thing last year. I didn't believe it then, I don't believe it now. I do think they're pressing, but to say they've given up is silly. This core doesn't have quit in them.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-27-2009, 04:11 AM
I voted for 75% but I'm probably closer to 90%, which wasn't an option and I can't bring myself to vote for completely giving up, yet. This team is a major disappointment. More or less, I'm excited for next year, especially with guys like Dye, Thome, and Contreras (Hell yeah) gone. I'm sure KW will make a few moves that improve this team and doesn't raise payroll.

ode to veeck
08-27-2009, 05:47 AM

I am not even to the denial phase yet, mostly just in pain after losing to a tough Boston team fighting for their playoff slot at home.

LITTLE NELL
08-27-2009, 06:17 AM
We needed to build up a nice cushion like maybe 7 over .500 going into this road trip. When we did'nt do this especially going .500 against the Royals and the Os last week, the handwriting was on the wall. Another sign was our inability to sweep teams when we had the chance, trust me the BoSox will sweep us today. KW has some work to do, we need to replace Dye, Thome, most of the bullpen and find a 5th starter.

NLaloosh
08-27-2009, 06:32 AM
What saddens me the most is the bullpen. It's always most demoralizing for a team when the bullpen continually fails but especially so when it's supposed to be a really great pen.

Then, Kenny trades for Tony Pena, Alex Rios, Mark Kotsay and Jake Peavy. If we would've known he would do that 2 months ago we would've cleared our October calendars. But, Pena and Rios have sucked and Peavy hasn't even played.

It's not they've been so bad it's that the performance has been so much below expectation.

Jurr
08-27-2009, 06:44 AM
This team, after 127 games, is sub .500. That's all you have to know. They had a million opporunities to get it together and pad that record. Didn't happen. It all comes back to the saying, " if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.."

The Sox are a middle of the road team. Put your championship hopes to bed.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-27-2009, 06:58 AM
I'm 50/50 but I think it's because I deep down can't bring myself to give up all the way.

I am no expert so my opinion means jacksquat - but they look like they've gotten old, fast. It seems the high point this season was Buerhle's perfect game.....after that, they became tired.

Our bullpen has been a mystery to me. How we can have only one solid arm out there is so strange considering what possibilities we had coming into the season.

I think the 2010 White Sox will have a more solid chance to be the division winners. The 2009 White Sox are the 2nd or 3rd blueprint of the design before you start building.

WSox597
08-27-2009, 07:03 AM
I keep thinking of the movie 'Major League' when I watch lately.

The scenes with the two Japanese groundskeepers specifically.

"They're ****ty!" keeps popping into my mind.

I don't know what to think, actually. On paper, that's a pretty good team. In reality, it's a .500 team as many people thought at the beginning of the year.

I'd love to see them right their course, but the way they're playing it doesn't seem likely.

I guess 50-50.

LITTLE NELL
08-27-2009, 07:07 AM
I'm 50/50 but I think it's because I deep down can't bring myself to give up all the way.

Our bullpen has been a mystery to me. How we can have only one solid arm out there is so strange considering what possibilities we had coming into the season.

Bullpens are a hit or miss deal to begin with, except for your closer and a setup guy most bullpen guys are pitchers who were not good enough to be starters and teams are hoping to catch lightning in a bottle like we did with Cotts and Politte in 05.

beasly213
08-27-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm not 100% given up yet. The way I look at it, if the Sox win tonight and Detroit and Min lose the Sox are only 3.5 games back. Yes I know they have been inconsistent all year but my realstic goal for this team was to be 1-3 games back on September 1st and as of today even with this horrible start to the road trip, is still possible.

Then see if the team can go on a run in September. I mean crazier things have happened right? :cool:

WhiteSox1989
08-27-2009, 08:43 AM
I can't give up.

But I also don't want to get my hopes up. Eh.

ode to veeck
08-27-2009, 08:48 AM

Bullpens are a hit or miss deal to begin with, except for your closer and a setup guy most bullpen guys are pitchers who were not good enough to be starters and teams are hoping to catch lightning in a bottle like we did with Cotts and Politte in 05.

It hasn't helped that we created a temporary hole in the workload for them by trading Richard for Peavy, as Richard was both help in the pen plus a decent starter much of the time. With a hole at #4 and #5 currently the pen is working overtime and plays better with rest.

voodoochile
08-27-2009, 09:13 AM
I answered 50%, and I feel ashamed for doing so. This team can win it, but things need to come together. The Sox are better than their record. I look at this roster and I see underachievement. This team has shown it can click for stretches and be unbeatable when it does click.

:gulp:Here's to hoping they click and do so damn soon!

This is how I am looking at things too. I wish I could believe completely and rant at people for quitting, but at a time this team needs to be gelling and stepping up it's game, it seems to be going the other way.

I still know they can win it and I'll hold on to that hope until close to the bitter end, but whatever constitutes "IT" this team doesn't appear to have...

AZChiSoxFan
08-27-2009, 09:13 AM

Some here may remember that I did the same thing. in the postgame thread following the last game of that series, I came here and posted that I was done with 2008. :redface:

I guess I am a pessimist by nature. So having said all of that, I think I threw in the towel on 2009 on Monday night when Jose couldn't field that slow roller up the first base line.

I hope I am wrong, just like I was last year, but I really don't think i am this time.

rwcescato
08-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Let the depression fly, WSI!!!

I have better things to worry about.. If Peavy does come back it wont matter because we cant hit. I will get excited about next year.

Rohan
08-27-2009, 09:33 AM
The 50% option is very well stated...
I have no idea what to believe...

mccoydp
08-27-2009, 09:38 AM
I don't see it happening this year. I've had the same sinking feeling as I had in 2004 and 2006, when I knew the chance to win the division was slipping away. The Sox aren't capitalizing on opportunities that abound.

However, I'm still watching the games; I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. :redneck

ChicagoHoosier
08-27-2009, 09:49 AM
If we are still within five games going into September, it's been done by many other teams. I think outside of that, it'll be nearly impossible.

Can't give up yet. And when I do, I'll still watch.

hawkjt
08-27-2009, 09:59 AM
I am at 25%. 35 games is a lot of games. Win today and you are 4 back with 34 to go. Not great, but with those games vs the tigers and twins, it is doable. I keep clinging to that 7 game road winning streak that the sox had in 05 vs the yanks and red sox. Win today, take 2 of 3 vs NY, go take 2 of 3 vs the twins...while the tigers get hammered by the Rays...Detroit plays the good teams in the east miserably and play the rays 8 times the next week and a half.

It could be a 2 game deficit going into the last two weeks...which would keep the pulse alive and beating.

Never give up.

kobo
08-27-2009, 10:05 AM
50/50. Not going to go out of my way to watch a game anymore. I've seen enough this season. I'll pay attention, but don't need to watch every game. I still think there is a chance, but it's slowly starting to fade away.

thegooch
08-27-2009, 10:05 AM
As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender.

Huisj
08-27-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm in the middle of a horrible round of exams this week. The Sox crappy play lately has almost been nice for me. They've made me not care about missing all the games while I'm studying. I don't expect anything of this team at this point.

dickallen15
08-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Sept 2 is a big day for the White Sox. If they continue the collapse, a lot of people won't meet the deadline for playoff tickets. This will cause the Sox to hold the line on ticket prices for next year, and probably significantly reduce the season ticket accounts as well unless they do something drastic to hold on to some of the accounts. Its definitely the most significant stretch of games the team has played this year. If the death spiral continues, it could have a huge impact on next season.

voodoochile
08-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Sept 2 is a big day for the White Sox. If they continue the collapse, a lot of people won't meet the deadline for playoff tickets. This will cause the Sox to hold the line on ticket prices for next year, and probably significantly reduce the season ticket accounts as well unless they do something drastic to hold on to some of the accounts. Its definitely the most significant stretch of games the team has played this year. If the death spiral continues, it could have a huge impact on next season.

Now that I disagree with. I think most people would be hopeful about next year's team regardless of whether this one makes the playoffs or not. The addition of Peavy and Rios make it likely that this team will be in the pennant chase for the next several years. Beckham, Ramirez and even the two headed monster at 2B add promise that there is a solid youth movement going on also.

I think most Sox fans feel hopeful about next year and expect the season ticket base to grow no matter how this year ends. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sox hold the line on tickets either way. I think this year opened their eyes a bit.

Now if suddenly this team does gel and go on a tear and stomp their way to a pennant or at least the ALCS, then all bets are off.

DeuceUnit
08-27-2009, 10:44 AM
This team is almost unwatcheable lately. I am however VERY excited about next year. A bullpen piece or two and maybe a figgins or another player and this team will be the easy favorite for the Central crown. I actually plan on getting season tickets for the first time in 2 years next year. A lot of things to be looking forward to.

kitekrazy
08-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Now that I disagree with. I think most people would be hopeful about next year's team regardless of whether this one makes the playoffs or not. The addition of Peavy and Rios make it likely that this team will be in the pennant chase for the next several years. Beckham, Ramirez and even the two headed monster at 2B add promise that there is a solid youth movement going on also.

I agree. This is not a WS team by any means. Making the post season this year will be only for water cooler pride or to snub Cub fans. After 2005 we should be above that. 2010, I thinking WS contender.

asindc
08-27-2009, 10:53 AM

Everyone who has "given up" should read the above quote.

TDog
08-27-2009, 10:56 AM
I thought this was a question about some extended Lent of which I was unaware.

As for the White Sox, I never give up until they are mathematically eliminated. When I was much younger that seemed to be around my birthday in mid-July. Even in this century I have been to some September baseball games at the Cell when the season was long over.

When I was growing up, there weren't many seasons where I had a team in the race to give up on. Of course, this is baseball, where everyone I knew was comfortable and talking about magic numbers with an 8.5-game Cubs lead about six weeks before the season ended with the Cubs beating the Mets to finish 8 games behind them. In 2006, the tigers had a more historic collapse and couldn't do anything, but they had won enough games early to make the postseason as the wild card and remembered how to win until they faced a barely-above-.500 Cardinals team in the World Series.

The Marlins have two World Series championships, and they have never finished in first place. At one point, they were five outs away from elimination, looking lifeless and being shut out. The Sox won't contend for the wild card, but the American League Central is weak enough that it is a true wild card, not unlike 2008 when I never gave up.

Maybe the White Sox won't win this year. If not, it wouldn't be the first time they didn't win. I've been a Sox fan through many losing seasons, and I'm still a Sox fan. If the Sox don't win, it won't kill me. I'll just be more productive for six months until the Sox come back in 2010.

I don't leave baseball games early, even when the Sox are losing. I don't leave seasons early. And I come back for more six months after the misery ends. That's what being a White Sox fan is all about.

kevingrt
08-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Win today and everything changes... just saying.

October26
08-27-2009, 11:54 AM
I thought this was a question about some extended Lent of which I was unaware.

As for the White Sox, I never give up until they are mathematically eliminated. When I was much younger that seemed to be around my birthday in mid-July. Even in this century I have been to some September baseball games at the Cell when the season was long over.

When I was growing up, there weren't many seasons where I had a team in the race to give up on. Of course, this is baseball, where everyone I knew was comfortable and talking about magic numbers with an 8.5-game Cubs lead about six weeks before the season ended with the Cubs beating the Mets to finish 8 games behind them. In 2006, the tigers had a more historic collapse and couldn't do anything, but they had won enough games early to make the postseason as the wild card and remembered how to win until they faced a barely-above-.500 Cardinals team in the World Series.

The Marlins have two World Series championships, and they have never finished in first place. At one point, they were five outs away from elimination, looking lifeless and being shut out. The Sox won't contend for the wild card, but the American League Central is weak enough that it is a true wild card, not unlike 2008 when I never gave up.

Maybe the White Sox won't win this year. If not, it wouldn't be the first time they didn't win. I've been a Sox fan through many losing seasons, and I'm still a Sox fan. If the Sox don't win, it won't kill me. I'll just be more productive for six months until the Sox come back in 2010.

I don't leave baseball games early, even when the Sox are losing. I don't leave seasons early. And I come back for more six months after the misery ends. That's what being a White Sox fan is all about.

Thank you, TDog for your great post.

I have to admit, I am a little down right now, but alot of it has to do with other things happening at home. As for the Sox, I'll be watching and cheering and rooting them on 'til the end. I don't know any other way.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-27-2009, 11:56 AM
This ain't over.

Last year should've taught us something. This team will come back and the Tigers aren't running away with this division.

Call me crazy if you must, but I haven't counted us out.

Zisk77
08-27-2009, 12:08 PM
i once read a quote from Bobby Knight about playing LSU in the NCAA tourney the season IU won the the title on the Keith Smart shot. IU was done 9 with just a couple of minutes to play. Bobby said that he thought it was over & then he looked down to the LSU bench and saw Dale Brown and then he knew he had a chance. I feel the same way when I look at the Tigers.

fram40
08-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Thank you, TDog for your great post.

I have to admit, I am a little down right now, but alot of it has to do with other things happening at home. As for the Sox, I'll be watching and cheering and rooting them on 'til the end. I don't know any other way.

agreed - great post by TDog. And I'll be watching and cheering and rooting 'til the end. But watching this team is so damn frustrating. I watch every night, every game and just grow more and more frustrated.

I voted 50%. I remain hopeful - yet, realistically, how is this team going to turn it around? I just don't see this team changing their stripes with 37 games left. Bad defense, bad bullpen, bad situational hitting.

I guess I should have voted 75%.

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-27-2009, 12:16 PM
50% in the lead, oh the irony.

wassagstdu
08-27-2009, 12:28 PM
I think the unrealistic expectations for this team were based on the blind hope that the vets would continue to produce in spite of indications and logic to the contrary, and counting our younger chickens before they have hatched. We didn't notice that the team included no first rate players in their peak years. I also think a team that depends on perfection every day from 3 or more relief pitchers is unrealistic. Yes, Pena gave up the HR to Ortiz, but why was the game tied at 2? The pitching has been adequate to excellent. The hitting has too often gone to sleep.

So in my view, this season is likely to be a bottom. The over-rated vets will be gone and the youngsters who really do show promise will improve.

On the issue of Ozzie and fundamentals, half the team is playing out of position due to failures of KW's plans (not meant as a condemnation). Two thirds of the outfield are playing hurt or appear to be. At the plate, we have rookies learning and vets showing their age. One mistake I hope Ozzie corrects is his over-estimation of Alexei Ramirez as a shortstop.

Lip Man 1
08-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Wassa:

To add to your point about the hitters going to sleep. The Sox have lost 12 games this year where the staff held an opponent to three runs or less.

Those games aren't automatic W's but they should be pretty near a lock win and the Sox found a way to lose a dozen of them already via lack of hitting.

Lip

soxfanreggie
08-27-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm in the 50/50 crowd. It's hard for me to give up hope, but it's hard for me not to sit there and think, "How are we going to blow this one today?"

JB98
08-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Win today and everything changes... just saying.

This. Win tonight and people here will feel better.

Maybe it's because I've been a dark cloud all year and had low expectations to begin with, but I get the sense that I'm not quite as down in the dumps as a lot of posters here are. I'm unhappy with the team, but probably not as unhappy as others.

I don't think the Sox are going to make the playoffs. I never have been able to believe in this 2009 team. The warts are many and glaring. But you never know. If you've followed the team for the first five months of the season, what's the point in throwing in the towel now? There are only 35 games left. You might as well keep cheering. There will be plenty of time to be pissed off during the offseason.

35th&Shields
08-27-2009, 12:56 PM
If we come out of the roadtrip any more than 2.5 behind Detroit, my math skills will probably prevent me from continuing to hold out hope.

chisoxfanatic
08-27-2009, 01:04 PM
We will be either 4 or 5 games out after tonight's game. We will be either in 2nd or 3rd place, since neither Minnesota or Detroit are playing today.

To say tonight's game is huge is an understatement.

hawkjt
08-27-2009, 01:10 PM
If we come out of the roadtrip any more than 2.5 behind Detroit, my math skills will probably prevent me from continuing to hold out hope.

So, if they are 3.5 back, with 27 games to play, including 6 with the tigers in the last week, your math says no way?

My math says if they are within 2 games with 9 to play..6 vs Det,3 vs Clev....they are alive. They sweep Det that first weekend in Sox park,they would be a game up with 6 to play..or 2 of 3 leaves them a game back...
never say die:D:

kaufsox
08-27-2009, 01:27 PM
I went with the 25% option. Detroit has had multiple opportunities to pull away, this series another prime chance and they really aren't doing it. 4.5 games back coming into September? I have hope, with a serious side of realism.

Lillian
08-27-2009, 02:09 PM
For me personally, I would not feel very satisfied if this team were to win the division with a very poor regular season record. The way this division is playing, it's possible that the winner could back into the playoffs with a subpar record of something just slightly over .500. Wouldn't that be a hollow victory?

I guess I grew up conditioned to think that the long 162 (back then 154) game season matters. Before the wild card, and with just one team from each league qualifying for post season play, you couldn't become a world champion after having a lousy season.

Baseball is a game where bad teams often beat good teams. It isn't even considered an upset when it happens. Therefore if a bad team gets into the post season and then puts together a little winning streak, they can win it all. However, such a victory can always be called "lucky". When the Sox won it all in 2005 they were good and no one could say that they didn't deserve it.

During the dismall 2007 season I expressed similar feelings in a post here, in which I stated that I'd prefer to have a bad enough record to net us a decent draft choice. I understand that the Draft is 'crap shoot' but that is how the Sox were able to acquire Beckham. At this point, I think I feel more like I did then. But that's just me.

oeo
08-27-2009, 02:13 PM
For me personally, I would not feel very satisfied if this team were to win the division with a very poor regular season record. The way this division is playing, it's possible that the winner could back into the playoffs with a subpar record of something just slightly over .500. Wouldn't that be a hollow victory?

No. I will still enjoy the opportunity to see playoff baseball, just like last year. Being at Game 3 of the ALDS knowing we had a mediocre team didn't damper my, or anyone else's, spirits. And I'd also like to see the team make consecutive playoff appearances for the first time in their history.

Baseball is a game where bad teams often beat good teams. It isn't even considered an upset when it happens. Therefore if a bad team gets into the post season and then puts together a little winning streak, they can win it all. However, such a victory can always be called "lucky". When the Sox won it all in 2005 they were good and no one could say that they didn't deserve it.

People still say the Sox were "lucky", and/or it was a "fluke". Who cares? You would seriously care if someone called it lucky?

chisoxfanatic
08-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Regardless of who wins this division, there is going to be a mediocre team in the playoffs, so why not have it be the Sox?

dickallen15
08-27-2009, 02:32 PM
We will be either 4 or 5 games out after tonight's game. We will be either in 2nd or 3rd place, since neither Minnesota or Detroit are playing today.

To say tonight's game is huge is an understatement.

Well, the good news, as we have been told so many times this year, is that its really hard to sweep series. Sox the correct color of Sox should win tonight.

KenBerryGrab
08-27-2009, 02:40 PM
"Sunshine go away today,
I don't feel much like dancing..."

TDog
08-27-2009, 04:07 PM
When you get down to it, your relationship with your baseball team is not unlike your romantic relationships. Some Sox fans have been saying this season wouldn't go anywhere, that they aren't very good, that they don't have a chance since March just as people are afraid to get involved with other people for fear they will be hurt.

The difference is that while each season involves a new relationship with a new team, for a White Sox fan, you're still coming back to the White Sox. If you don't commit yourself to the Sox, it won't hurt as much when it ends -- the end of the 1983 season was a lot worse than the end of the 1977 season, which was a heck of a lot worse than the 1976 season.

But staying with the team while it is losing makes winning much more special.

Dan H
08-27-2009, 04:43 PM
I voted 50% only because I want to hope.

Realistically, I don't see this team making it. They lose too many one-run games. Good teams find a way to win close games. If the White Sox head into the late innings behind or even tied, it seems like they always lose.

The team had no room for error to succeed this season. It just hasn't worked out. It will be interesting to see what happens this off season. A lot of work needs to be done. The pieces are not fitting together on this team.

LongLiveFisk
08-27-2009, 06:06 PM
I can't give up. I have tickets for Fan Appreciation Day (they still call it that, don't they?) and I'm hoping it won't be a game that doesn't matter. Unless it doesn't matter in a good way!

Lillian
08-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Here is just how bad and frustrating this season has been. Alex Rios now has a season OBP 10 points below Brian Anderson. Just shocking!

doublem23
08-27-2009, 07:41 PM
They're showin' me something!