PDA

View Full Version : Court Rules Fed Seizure of MLB Steroid Tests Was Illegal...

voodoochile
08-26-2009, 11:44 PM
Better finish leaking the names soon...

Anyone else find this to be incredibly funny?

"Oh thank goodness, the barn door has been closed. Anyone seen the horse?

:rolling:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/26/steroids.ruling/index.html

Edit: There's a lot of political stuff in that article, so please try to keep this on topic and not delve into the constitutional issues. Feel free to bring them up at www.wsiforums.com

InKennyWeTrust
08-26-2009, 11:54 PM
I guarantee the public reaction will be the same as it's always been..... the end (exposing the juicers) has justified the means (illegal seizure).

Edit: Wow, just realized I mixed that up. Glad no one called me on it. :P

FloridaTigers
08-28-2009, 01:31 AM
Wait, why did Congress/Federal Government get involved in the first place? What caused them to even care about this?

soxfanreggie
08-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Wait, why did Congress/Federal Government get involved in the first place? What caused them to even care about this?

I think that's better off discussed at WSIForums.

kitekrazy
08-28-2009, 11:31 AM

I do believe steroids back then were an illegal substance without a doctors permission.

voodoochile
08-28-2009, 12:01 PM
I do believe steroids back then were an illegal substance without a doctors permission.

Then there's the whole lying to congress, failure to institute testing early on, FBI warnings from the early 90's, anti-trust exemption, etc.

Baseball fought so long and hard to keep their dirty little secret that Congress eventually stepped in.

jdm2662
08-28-2009, 12:30 PM

It had to do with the BALCO case. They requested 5 or 10 samples of the players involved. The PA was like, no no no, how dare you! We are above the law/federal government, etc. Pissing off the feds isn't exactly recommended. The Feds responded by issuing a warrant for ALL the tests.

voodoochile
08-28-2009, 12:44 PM
It had to do with the BALCO case. They requested 5 or 10 samples of the players involved. The PA was like, no no no, how dare you! We are above the law/federal government, etc. Pissing off the feds isn't exactly recommended. The Feds responded by issuing a warrant for ALL the tests.

Actually, that's not true. That's the heart of the finding in that article. The Feds issued a warrant for 10 samples. Then when they go into the computer all 104 were kept in the same file, so they used the "plain sight" exception to grab the whole list. The Federal court disagreed.