PDA

View Full Version : Jake Peavy Idea

tsoxman
08-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Assuming that the guy can pitch...some...why not pitch him out of the bullpen as a setup guy? If he can only go 5 innings, the Sox cannot win as long as gas-can Linebrink and pena are around.

tsoxman
08-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Oops my bad...I placesd this in the qwrong forum. My apologies. Mods?

Boondock Saint
08-26-2009, 09:04 PM
It hasn't been moved yet, so I'll just reply to it here.

Jake Peavy is one of the best pitchers in baseball when healthy. It's a TOTAL waste of his talent to put him in the bullpen.

kobo
08-26-2009, 09:06 PM
Because the Sox need another capable starter, not a reliever. Peavy wasn't brought here to pitch out of the pen.

soxfanreggie
08-26-2009, 09:15 PM
How about "No" on this one...

chisoxfanatic
08-26-2009, 09:16 PM
:threadsucks

tsoxman
08-26-2009, 09:43 PM
:threadsucks
Thanks for your intelligent response.

Scottiehaswheels
08-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Assuming that the guy can pitch...some...why not pitch him out of the bullpen as a setup guy? If he can only go 5 innings, the Sox cannot win as long as gas-can Linebrink and pena are around.
http://thm-a04.yimg.com/image/7f56069d11bdf17a (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTbx_P85VKJb8AgFmJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBrZnNoNG5 iBHBvcwM5NDgEc2VjA3NyBHZ0aWQD/SIG=1k2k5m8m3/EXP=1251427663/**http%3A//images.search.yahoo.com/images/view%3Fback=http%253A%252F%252Fimages.search.yahoo .com%252Fsearch%252Fimages%253F_adv_prop%253Dimage %2526b%253D941%2526ni%253D20%2526va%253DDavid%252B Spade%2526pstart%253D1%2526fr%253Dyfp-t-153%26w=111%26h=160%26imgurl=ec1.images-amazon.com%252Fimages%252FP%252FB0009W5J1O.01._SCM ZZZZZZZ_.jpg%26rurl=http%253A%252F%252Fmusic.great estgiftstore.com%252Fdavid-spade%252CDVD%252FCatalog-Actor-david%252Bspade.htm%26size=8k%26name=B0009W5J1O%2B 01%2BSC...%26p=David%2BSpade%26oid=7f56069d11bdf17 a%26fr2=%26no=948%26tt=10325%26b=941%26ni=20%26sig r=12g2ef7me%26sigi=11tm81rn7%26sigb=13d4cvm5n) My associate Tommy, will be visiting you with a tack hammer.

Lip Man 1
08-26-2009, 09:52 PM
With the way the Sox are playing the prudent thing to do is to shut him down until spring training.

He is not going to make enough of a difference with this mediocre club.

Lip

Boondock Saint
08-26-2009, 09:55 PM
With the way the Sox are playing the prudent thing to do is to shut him down until spring training.

Lip

As much as I've disagreed with you lately, this is spot on. Let him come back next season 100%.

DumpJerry
08-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Oops my bad...I placesd this in the qwrong forum. My apologies. Mods?
Ok, I moved it to the appropriate forum, but I don't think it will get a better reception here.

slavko
08-26-2009, 10:00 PM

Lip

Thinking the same. But wait...how's his bat?

Domeshot17
08-27-2009, 02:31 AM
Its actually a FANTASTIC IDEA, if we had any kind of pitching depth, which we don't.

The truth is it may be great to have peavy be able to impact 10-12 games in the final month versus 3-4. However, Jose sucks, Freddy is on his last legs, then we have a bunch of kids. Basically, when you have next to no organizational depth, you run into these issues.

So for the OP, your head is in the right spot. In a perfect world, Peavy would use the final month to throw out of the pen, he would probably keep Pena and Linebrink from losing us game after game, and it would be great. But the 4-5 games he saves us would be washed by the 3-4 losses his replacement starter will be.

oeo
08-27-2009, 03:55 AM
As much as I've disagreed with you lately, this is spot on. Let him come back next season 100%.

Do we even know where he's at right now? He would be starting on Saturday if it wasn't for him getting hit in the elbow in his last rehab start. Peavy has a fresh arm, and if the ankle is ready to go, he can put the rotation on his back.

soxinem1
08-27-2009, 12:51 PM

The Sox already added another guy to the pen, and his name is Jose Contreras, next year's #3 starter for the NYM.

Why would you waste Peavy in the pen? It is not like he ever had issues getting past the fourth inning like JC and Colon have this year.

kittle42
08-27-2009, 12:55 PM

Agreed.

Ranger
08-27-2009, 01:42 PM

Lip

Maybe Peavy's addition would make no difference to the outcome of this season, but if he's healthy enough to pitch, he should pitch.

If the injury risk to Peavy by pitching this year is the same as it is for any other player, there is no reason for him to be shut down. Why not get some starts in this year and then go into a normal offseason routine? If his ankle is not 100% or the elbow is in danger of some sort of more severe injury, then he certainly should not play. Otherwise...

Noneck
08-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Maybe Peavy's addition would make no difference to the outcome of this season, but if he's healthy enough to pitch, he should pitch.

And of course he will help the walk up attendance, which will be greatly appreciated at that time.

KMcMahon817
08-27-2009, 03:25 PM

If the injury risk to Peavy by pitching this year is the same as it is for any other player, there is no reason for him to be shut down. Why not get some starts in this year and then go into a normal offseason routine? If his ankle is not 100% or the elbow is in danger of some sort of more severe injury, then he certainly should not play. Otherwise...

I agree, Ranger. I haven't posted in a while, because frankly, I have nothing to say. The team is playing terrible, and I get more and more upset by the night. But it is just simply ignorant to say that the Sox should just shut Peavy down for the year. If it were guaranteed that the squad was going to play as god awful as they have the past 2 weeks, then yeah, you're right. But, its baseball. Sox could win five in a row and be right back in this dance. No need to shut him down for the year unless we fall to 7 or 8 out.

Ranger
08-27-2009, 04:09 PM
But, its baseball. Sox could win five in a row and be right back in this dance. No need to shut him down for the year unless we fall to 7 or 8 out.

But I don't even think they should shut him down at all. If he's healthy enough to make just one start even, let him. Unless the injury risk is far and away greater than the next player's injury risk, there is no good reason not for him to pitch.

Daver
08-27-2009, 05:59 PM

You guarantee his ankle is healthy by not pitching him this season, and I would rather that with a team that is right around .500 and 5 games out of the race. If they manage to get back into the hunt it could be re-thought at that point. But I always prefer to err on the side of caution.

JermaineDye05
08-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Yes, and why don't we put Jose Contreras back in the rotation?

When right, Jake is one of the top 5 starters in baseball. You don't put him in the bullpen. I highly doubt the Giants would put Tim Lincecum in the bullpen if he could only go 5 innings for them for a couple starts.

Ranger
08-28-2009, 01:45 PM
You guarantee his ankle is healthy by not pitching him this season, and I would rather that with a team that is right around .500 and 5 games out of the race. If they manage to get back into the hunt it could be re-thought at that point. But I always prefer to err on the side of caution.

From every account, his ankle is fine. It's not even an issue at this point. Which is my point: if the risk for an injury for him is equal to anyone else's risk of injury, he should play.

The only thing I wouldn't do, if it were up to me, is have his very first start back be a National League game. I mean, he's going to pitch in NL parks eventually, but it may not be the best idea for that to happen in his first start back...unless it happens to be in the World Series, of course.

cards press box
08-28-2009, 02:05 PM
I mean, he's going to pitch in NL parks eventually, but it may not be the best idea for that to happen in his first start back...unless it happens to be in the World Series, of course.

I like the optimism. If the Sox end this roadtrip anywhere from 2 to 4 games in back of Detroit, they have a decent chance to catch them. At that point, they will have 27 games left with 15 of them at home and 6 head to head with the Tigers. What's more, they should have a starting rotation of Buerhle/Peavy/Danks/Floyd/F. Garcia with a bullpen bolstered with Sept. callups behind them.

In the next week, the Sox have 3 at New York, 3 at Minny and 1 at Cubs; Detroit has 4 at home with Tampa Bay and 3 at home with Cleveland. This week is, no doubt, the "Heartbreak Hill" portion of the Sox schedule but if they can get through it as close as they are right now, I like their chances.

jabrch
08-28-2009, 02:30 PM

We are four games out. Of course he should. And if people don't think he could make a difference compared to Jose and whomever is being called up to replace him for the remaining 5 starts, for a team that is only 4 games out, that's their choice.

At this point, as long as you won't hurt him, you go balls to the walls to try and win. While we aren't in a great spot, we are not out of this just yet.

dickallen15
08-28-2009, 02:42 PM
I think if the White Sox thought there was any way Peavy's ankle could screw up his arm or shoulder or elbow at this point, he wouldn't be chucking for the Charlotte Knights.

Jpgr91
08-28-2009, 05:08 PM

The difference is in the investment that the Sox made in Peavy and what he represents to the future of this organization. If the Sox are out of it, why even risk putting him on the mound? Peavy has not pitched in quite a while. There is no value in putting extra innings on an arm that has not been in a baseball routine for most of the season.

MISoxfan
08-28-2009, 06:30 PM
The difference is in the investment that the Sox made in Peavy and what he represents to the future of this organization. If the Sox are out of it, why even risk putting him on the mound? Peavy has not pitched in quite a while. There is no value in putting extra innings on an arm that has not been in a baseball routine for most of the season.

Whats the value of putting extra innings on Buehrle, Danks, and Floyd? If Peavy is healthy it makes no more sense to keep him from starting than it does for them.

Ranger
08-28-2009, 08:26 PM

Well if that's the idea, then there's no reason for Floyd, Danks, Beckham, Rios, Quentin, Thornton, and Jenks to play either. I mean, why put unnecessary mileage on players who are on a team that has no chance?

If he's healthy and capable of pitching, there is not a single good reason for him to be shut down for the year.

Craig Grebeck
08-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Well if that's the idea, then there's no reason for Floyd, Danks, Beckham, Rios, Quentin, Thornton, and Jenks to play either. I mean, why put unnecessary mileage on players who are on a team that has no chance?

If he's healthy and capable of pitching, there is not a single good reason for him to be shut down for the year.
It's not that simple. There is far more nuance involved in the situation. There's context in every player's situation, and Peavy's context is not nearly the same as Floyd's.

Daver
08-28-2009, 08:32 PM
From every account, his ankle is fine. It's not even an issue at this point. Which is my point: if the risk for an injury for him is equal to anyone else's risk of injury, he should play.

The only thing I wouldn't do, if it were up to me, is have his very first start back be a National League game. I mean, he's going to pitch in NL parks eventually, but it may not be the best idea for that to happen in his first start back...unless it happens to be in the World Series, of course.

He says it's fine, but his results from all of his rehab starts are not consistent to his career traits, which tells me that he keeps making rehab starts until he can achieve performance consistent to his career traits.

Whose accounts are you going by?

Jpgr91
08-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Whats the value of putting extra innings on Buehrle, Danks, and Floyd? If Peavy is healthy it makes no more sense to keep him from starting than it does for them.

They are complete separate situations. The Sox gave up a lot of talent acquire Peavy. All of those players listed are important but Peavy has the biggest impact on this teams future. Even if Peavy comes back there is little or no chance he is going to meet is personal goals this year. I do not know his goals were, but I am pretty sure spending a ton of time on the DL will preclude him from meeting those goals. So if the team goal and the personal goals can not be met, why risk injury to the person on the team in which you have invested the most? Its not like limiting pitchers innings is a new concept, it happens near the end of the baseball season all of the time.

oeo
08-28-2009, 08:54 PM
He says it's fine, but his results from all of his rehab starts are not consistent to his career traits, which tells me that he keeps making rehab starts until he can achieve performance consistent to his career traits.

He also did not pitch for over two months.