PDA

View Full Version : Kanseco walked twice tonight??!?!?!?

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-04-2001, 08:58 PM
Wow, that guy walking twice in the same game is like lightning striking twice in the same place.

Agent 007
08-05-2001, 02:31 AM
Nuke, in the short time I've been posting to this board, I've known you to be an intelligent poster. But this is silly.

Facts are facts: Canseco leads the team in batting average, slugging, and ON BASE PERCENTAGE. I know, I know - he's no Frank Thomas (not like you all will ever let each other forget). But he's doing a damn fine job and a far better one than any of you could have expected.

Not quite sure what else you'd like from him, but I hear a cure for cancer is around the corner. Maybe a Nobel Prize.....

doublem23
08-05-2001, 02:36 AM
Fair enough, and I will admit that his OBP is .391, but we can't overlook the fact that he is average 1 K per game. I will go along and say that he has done a fine job (much better than I expected) for the team, but I won't stop referring to him as Kanseco.

Agent 007
08-05-2001, 02:42 AM
Not to argue semantics, but how exactly do you "admit" a fact? That's like me saying, "I admit that the sky is blue."

Why does everyone so begrudgingly acknowledge the fact that Canseco is (gasp!) helping the team? Are you so bent on maintaining your first impressions that you'd rather not change your mind? It's OK to be wrong once in a while!

FarWestChicago
08-05-2001, 02:44 AM
Why does everyone so begrudgingly acknowledge the fact that Canseco is (gasp!) helping the team? Are you so bent on maintaining your first impressions that you'd rather not change your mind? It's OK to be wrong once in a while!

It's not everybody. I expected him to do well and he has.

doublem23
08-05-2001, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Agent 007
Not to argue semantics, but how exactly do you "admit" a fact? That's like me saying, "I admit that the sky is blue."

All right. A) Nice catch on the admitting facts thingy.

B) I've never said that getting Kanseco was bad. However, I do wonder why he gets playing time, when the front-office constantly talks of "the future." Let's face it. Once Frank steps onto the field for spring training, Mr. Kanseco's services are no longer needed. To go with that point, all Kanseco does is take time from Rowand. Yes, he has played in like the last 3-4 games (I don't get to watch many anymore do to my sucky hours at work), but before that all Rowand did was sit his ass on the bench.

Kanseco is a good pickup for a team that realistically has a shot at the play-offs. I still feel we do if we get hot and cut this lead to like 3 or 4 games by month's end, but with the way we've handled the Twins and Tribe, I do believe my obbsession with not letting this season go is just another sign of my growing insanity.

Nellie_Fox
08-05-2001, 03:05 AM
Oh, I finally get it. Kanseco with a "k" for strikeout. Very clever. Face it kids, he's done better than you expected.

I've never said that getting Kanseco was bad. However, I do wonder why he gets playing time, when the front-office constantly talks of "the future"

Maybe because they still think there's a chance this year? If they packed it in and obviously started playing for the future, you'd be on their ass for running up the white flag.

doublem23
08-05-2001, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Maybe because they still think there's a chance this year? If they packed it in and obviously started playing for the future, you'd be on their ass for running up the white flag.

No, I think that would be PHG.

There is a HUGE difference between a 3 1/2 deficitlead and an 8 deficitlead.

If you're gonna have Kanseco on the team, PLAY HIM EVERYDAY! What the hell is the point if he plays like 3 games a week? If he's not a regular, let's give Rowand more time. Singleton is gonna start whining like a mutha in a few days.

I am witty, ain't I?

P.S.: I am willing to admit that he has been better than I expected. He has.

FarWestChicago
08-05-2001, 03:14 AM

I think you have a good point here, Nellie.

voodoochile
08-05-2001, 03:42 AM

Besides, how does it help a young kid to develop to let him DH? That should be all Canseco is doing. No one on this team will be DHing next year except for Frank (hopefully). That means the Sox would be hindering the defensive development of guys like Lee and Magglio. As to Singleton? As another famous Frank once said...

"That's Life..."

As to the division (let's not even talk about the WC)... I honestly believe the Twins are going to come out of August much further over .500 than they currently are. They have an even easier schedule than we do. Cleveland is in for a rude awakening, IMO in the next 5+ weeks, and the evidence of that is starting to show. While I at one time thought 87 wins would win this division, more realistically Minnesota should get to 92 or so wins fairly easily. But, stranger things have happened than one beat up team suddenly gelling and their opponents falling apart, so who knows? It is nice to see the team show life, even if it is only Tampa...

doublem23
08-05-2001, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
[B] Besides, how does it help a young kid to develop to let him DH? That should be all Canseco is doing. No one on this team will be DHing next year except for Frank (hopefully). That means the Sox would be hindering the defensive development of guys like Lee and Magglio.[B]

I agree, voodoochile.

So, if we thinks we have a shot at it (I do), then here's what our outfield/DH should look like EVERY GAME!

RF - Magglio - duh
CF - Rowand - Better than Singleton already, and Manos is hurt
LF - Lee - duh, again, perhaps Singelton comes in as a defensive replacement in late innings?
DH - Kanseco - Either play him everyday, or give Liefer the bat or something! By sitting him, you hinder BOTH his offense and defense!

voodoochile
08-05-2001, 03:57 AM
[QUOTE]here's what our outfield/DH should look like EVERY GAME! /QUOTE]

I agree... This Rowand kid is really starting to grow on me. I know it is early, but I was at that game last night and He damn near ran through that wall. Great heart and hustle.

FarWestChicago
08-05-2001, 04:00 AM
I agree... This Rowand kid is really starting to grow on me. I know it is early, but I was at that game last night and He damn near ran through that wall. Great heart and hustle.

I was relegated to internet radio and R & F were going nuts about that catch. Then I saw the replay. They didn't go nuts enough. This guy definitely wants to stick in the bigs! He's definitely got a little Manos in him.

voodoochile
08-05-2001, 04:05 AM
He had another nice one tonight. Hopefully Borchard develops quickly and he can play center, but until then... Rowand looks just fine. Again, it is an odd "Problem" to have... Where are all these players going to go? Next year the Sox are going to have about 15 pitchers who have had some success on the major league level. They also have an abundance of corner outfielders... Maybe we can package some of them for a catcher.

Mathew
08-05-2001, 06:31 AM
For some reason the WhiteSox optimism had me expecting this much from Kanseco. But I won't change my opinion that he is not that good. He was cheap and filled a hole, but little more. He has not won us much of anything. The only reason I'm starting to like him more is because he keeps Leifer off the lineup card. I would option Leifer to hell not just AAA.