PDA

View Full Version : Can the Sox go 25-11 down the stretch?

Domeshot17
08-26-2009, 04:14 PM
63-63, .500 exactly. It has been said for a long time now, since spring training, 88 wins could take the central. I think 88 wins DOES take the central. The Sox need to go 25-11 down the stretch to pull it off. Can we?

I think we can, My fear is are we going to be taxed going into the playoffs from such an uphill battle, or will we ride momentum?

If we miss the playoffs, would you consider this team a disappointment?

jdm2662
08-26-2009, 04:15 PM
The 1987 White Sox won 22 of their last 29 games. So, yes, they can do it. Will they? I seriously doubt it. I think the max they get is 84 at this point. Last night, it looked like the towel can be thrown in...

kittle42
08-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Not a showball's chance in hell.

That said, I would take a bet on the over on wins at 24.5 if it were, say, a +700 line, at least.

Marqhead
08-26-2009, 04:18 PM
I really don't think so. If they are winning this division it's going to be with a 83/84 win season and a complete collapse of the Tigers and Twins.

6 games H2H with both Detroit and Minnesota give us a chance.

TomBradley72
08-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Absolutely not...we might have the offense and the starting pitching (w/Peavy back)...but our defense and bullpen (set up guys) will prevent us from going on that kind of run.

hi im skot
08-26-2009, 04:20 PM
http://alborland.ytmnd.com/

BadBobbyJenks
08-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Well that really puts things in perspective. What is the most we have been above .500 all season?

I am going to say no at the moment and will back off a little after we win tonight. **** this team toying with my emotions.

ChicagoHoosier
08-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Even after the two bad losses, I said this morning I think the Sox will get to 84 wins. But I'm afraid that will fall short unless both the Twins and Tigers falter.

If we go 4-7 on this 11 game torture tour, which means we go 4-5 in the two games in Fenway, 3 in NY, 3 in Minny, and the Cubs, then 84 wins will even be pretty tough.

Unfortunately, I think 4-5 in the next nine games is extremely realistic, if not borderline optimistic given our record in Minnesota.

Johnny Mostil
08-26-2009, 05:45 PM
What is the most we have been above .500 all season?

5, per this (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2009-schedule-scores.shtml). And the most under was 7. As somebody else said somewhere else, it's like a magnet keeps pulling the team back to .500.

It's Dankerific
08-26-2009, 05:53 PM
I think its a .500 team playing like its a .500 team.

if 81 wins gets the division, we win. if not, probably not.

Gavin
08-26-2009, 05:56 PM
hell, the sox could go on a 36 game winning streak

but they probably won't

hawkjt
08-26-2009, 06:02 PM
I think if they go 22-14 they could win it,as long as the 22 wins include at least 4 vs the Tigers and 4 vs the Twins...they are 4 games back in the loss column as we speak, so if they go 4-2 vs the tigers, that leaves two more games to make up...it can be done,but not easy.

Zisk77
08-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Can they...yes. Will they? Probably not.

For what little its worth her is my take on the 09 sox. They are both over and underacheivers. Kenny wanted to remain competitive while getting younger and faster. Well he did. So we have a team that is old and young and inconistent as hell...downright schizofrenic at times. There is enough their to fuel the optimist and the pessimist and they are both right. I am going to just try to enjoy the rest of the season and hope for the best.

I am also excited about the porspects of next year. I believe some of the older limited players will be gone. The young guys will continue to improve (especially on defense) with experience. We will have great overall team speed and be able to manufacture runs and still have ample power. Our pitching looks to be in good shape. I think its going to be all right. I just am going to need both antacids and hair rejuvenating products (pulling hair out) to get through the present.

soxfanreggie
08-26-2009, 06:06 PM
The way we're playing right now, it's more like 11-25 is what we're looking at. Can we go 25-11? It's possible. I'll take us at 20-16 the remainder of the season and outside looking in when it comes to the playoffs. I sure hope the Sox pick up the pace and prove me wrong.

Crestani
08-26-2009, 06:09 PM
25-11 ...... um no way, not with their schedule! They are still playing like spring training games trying to figure out who plays and hits where! Not a good thing this late in the year.

Now next year! That's another matter and one in which I would put money down on them going wire to wire with the starting staff they will have.

Madvora
08-26-2009, 06:11 PM
I felt like the season ended when they lost that first game to Baltimore. Getting any further than 3.5 out seems like it's just impossible now. They just don't have it in them.
I'll expect them to maybe play one or two games under .500 for the rest of the season. They'll probably finish about 7 games out.

tstrike2000
08-26-2009, 07:06 PM
The Sox can certainly go 25-11 down the stretch, but it's not going to happen. Inconsistant offense, defense, bullpen, and starting pitching just raise too many questions.

oeo
08-26-2009, 07:19 PM
I don't think so, but saying you need so many wins the rest of the way is the wrong way to look at it, IMO. You're just looking at a steep uphill climb that way. Get even with the Tigers and work from there.

october23sp
08-26-2009, 07:27 PM
No, and missing the playoffs is a disappointment. I haven't posted lately because I have nothing to say. This team is just bad right now.

thomas35forever
08-26-2009, 07:56 PM
It's certainly possible, but there's no way it happens. The pitching staff is getting worn down and the hitters can't come through in the clutch anymore. This team will be playing golf when the postseason begins.

esbrechtel
08-26-2009, 08:02 PM
The fact that the twins have tied the sox right now is what scares me the most. I bet that team wins the Central....:angry:

Although I think the Sox could have a bright future. However, they are a far way off from a championship caliber team.

Frater Perdurabo
08-26-2009, 08:34 PM
The Sox went 22-11 from June 13-July 23, including a seven-game winning streak. That was a pretty nice run, and they have upgraded the roster since then.

Personally, I think if Peavy returns healthy, and if Paulie and Dye return to their career norms, and if Buehrle returns to form, and if no one else (especially Thome) goes into a huge slump, then they can replicate another 22-11 stretch. And if they can go 22-11 during the next 33 games, then they will be at 85-74, with the last three games in Detroit.

Watch Peavy, Buehrle, Dye, Paulie and Thome. As they go, so go the Sox.

kittle42
08-26-2009, 08:47 PM
Can the Sox go 25-10 down the stretch?

Jurr
08-26-2009, 08:52 PM
No. They now must face real teams. It is over and has been for a while.

Red Barchetta
08-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Right now, someone needs to carry this team and I don't see anyone stepping up. I expect 18-18 (ish)

Thatguyoverthere
08-26-2009, 09:11 PM
With tonight's loss, even if the Sox go 35-0 to close the season, they would still not match the win output of the '05 Sox. Wow. :o:

Waysouthsider
08-26-2009, 09:17 PM
I think if they could get the hitters going there's hope....this team can really hit when they're on....and we're headed for NY to home run heaven. The starting pitching has been very good this week but for Jose.

rookie
08-26-2009, 10:12 PM
My bad. Thing is, though, you kind of had a clear picture of who that team was. This team is baffling. Regardless, I'll still be wearing my Sox shirt tomorrow.

Agreed. I'll be wearing mine on Friday. This team has made me sad this week. We easily could've won all these games. What a downer of a week. I wish they would listen to Ozzie let loose, and play.

Like Kenny, I think they are underperforming. Especially the heart of the lineup. It may be too late to snap out of it, but I want them to give it a try. 6 games left with Twins and Tigers and both those teams play each other as well. A photo finish would be better than out by mid-September.

Meanwhile, 3 nights of this has me waking up each morning not in a pleasant mood. Then getting my hopes up around 5:30pm. Who am I kidding? I'm here til the fat lady sings. The offseason is too long as it is.

BoysMom3
08-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Agreed. I'll be wearing mine on Friday. This team has made me sad this week. We easily could've won all these games. What a downer of a week. I wish they would listen to Ozzie let loose, and play.

Like Kenny, I think they are underperforming. Especially the heart of the lineup. It may be too late to snap out of it, but I want them to give it a try. 6 games left with Twins and Tigers and both those teams play each other as well. A photo finish would be better than out by mid-September.

Meanwhile, 3 nights of this has me waking up each morning not in a pleasant mood. Then getting my hopes up around 5:30pm. Who am I kidding? I'm here til the fat lady sings. The offseason is too long as it is.

That's exactly how I feel...sad and starting to feel hopeless, but then always giving way to new hope at the start of a new game. And feeling depressed knowing there isn't much baseball left.

TDog
08-26-2009, 11:42 PM
63-63, .500 exactly. It has been said for a long time now, since spring training, 88 wins could take the central. I think 88 wins DOES take the central. The Sox need to go 25-11 down the stretch to pull it off. Can we?

I think we can, My fear is are we going to be taxed going into the playoffs from such an uphill battle, or will we ride momentum?

If we miss the playoffs, would you consider this team a disappointment?

The question is irrelevant. If the White Sox win the division with 80 wins, they will go to the postseason and should have enough pitching to make them a strong postseason team.

TomBradley72
08-27-2009, 07:07 AM
The question is irrelevant. If the White Sox win the division with 80 wins, they will go to the postseason and should have enough pitching to make them a strong postseason team.

What team have you been watching? Our bullpen sucks. Linebrink/Dotel/Pena are not part of a strong postseason staff.

LITTLE NELL
08-27-2009, 07:18 AM
If you believe in miracles.

NLaloosh
08-27-2009, 07:37 AM
Well, I figure it like this:

Detroit has a winning percentage of .532 which would translate to 86 wins if they kept that pace up.

In order for the Sox to win 87 games they need to go 24-11.

IF THE AMERICAN LEAGUE TOLD THE WHITE SOX THAT THEY COULD MAKE THEIR OWN SCHEDULE FOR THE LAST 35 GAMES, THEY STILL COULDN'T WIN 24 OF THEM.

I mean they could play them all at home against Cleveland, KC and Baltimore or whatever. There's no way. This team just finds too many ways to lose games that they should win.

soxinem1
08-27-2009, 12:41 PM
The 1987 White Sox won 22 of their last 29 games. So, yes, they can do it. Will they? I seriously doubt it. I think the max they get is 84 at this point. Last night, it looked like the towel can be thrown in...

That 1987 team was so far out they had nothing to lose, no pressure, and many players knew they were on the way out, so they were trade-auditioning. That was also a veteran-tilted team.

But I do agree with the 84 wins in 2009. Next year this team will stomp, but there are just way too many cylinders not clicking this year.

kaufsox
08-27-2009, 01:23 PM
hmm, pretty much been a .500 team all year, I'm guessing 18-18 down the stretch. It just been consistently inconsistent all year.

Ranger
08-27-2009, 01:58 PM
The Sox went 22-11 from June 13-July 23, including a seven-game winning streak. That was a pretty nice run, and they have upgraded the roster since then.

Personally, I think if Peavy returns healthy, and if Paulie and Dye return to their career norms, and if Buehrle returns to form, and if no one else (especially Thome) goes into a huge slump, then they can replicate another 22-11 stretch. And if they can go 22-11 during the next 33 games, then they will be at 85-74, with the last three games in Detroit.

This is pretty much right on. All of the guys you mention will have more to do with what happens than the setup guys in the bullpen will.

The reason I say that is the bullpen is going to lose some games when the offense is constantly giving them a tightrope to walk. Look, they gave up 3 runs at Fenway last night...that should've been MORE than manageable enough for the offense to overcome.

Bottom line: the offense (and defense, too, really) down the stretch has to give some breathing room to the pitching staff.

BadBobbyJenks
08-27-2009, 02:49 PM

I like it but you just mentioned FIVE BIG ifs.

Frater Perdurabo
08-27-2009, 08:34 PM
I like it but you just mentioned FIVE BIG ifs.

That's why I posted the ifs in bold.

g0g0
08-28-2009, 09:53 AM
I was just looking at their schedule today and there's no way unless they receive some divine intervention. Detroit and the Twinkies both have easier schedules down the stretch. So even if one falls I think the other will take the Central. What can you do though? We had our chances against some bad ball clubs and didn't win when we had the chance.

jabrch
08-28-2009, 10:00 AM
No. They now must face real teams. It is over and has been for a while.

Thanks Jurr. Now I know to not bother watching anymore.

Law11
08-28-2009, 10:03 AM
No chance in Hell this team goes on that kind of roll. To expect miracles in Sept in nuts especially with a bullpen that just blows.