PDA

View Full Version : It wasn't just the relief pitching!

ike from nj
08-26-2009, 08:56 AM
The easy thing to so is to blame last nights loss on Thornton, Linebrink and Williams. True they were awful but the game was lost well before Linebrink gave it up to Jason Bay. Once again it was the Sox horrific inability to hit in the clutch that set up yesterday's loss. It was the usual suspects Dye, Pierzynski and Ramirez but Beckham (obviously and understandably in a slump) and Rios joined the party also.

Looking back on the season so far it is clear that the Whitesox are deficient in three areas which underscores their mediocrity as a team:

1. Clutch hitting. People can quote batting averages and other statistics but as the Hawk says "don't tell me what you hit, tell me when you hit it." Too many games have been lost this year that could have been won with one hit at the right time to take the lead or drive in add on runs that change a game. The chief proponents of this have been Dye, AJ and Alexi Ramirez who has made an art of driving in runs that don't matter. People will talk about the few big runs he and AJ have driven in but analyze their failures at key moments to get a better true idea of their effectiveness.

2. Horrible relief pitching...nothing more needs to be said.

3. Bad defense both errors and errors of omission. Bad throws or botched relays. How many times this year has the Hawk said "good throw has a chance" only to see a poor throw. The play against Boston where the guy stole home because the Sox threw through to second and started a rundown giving Boston a free run was a joke. It doesn't even happen at the little league world series let alone in the major leagues.

Still the Sox are one hot streak away from being back in the race. I just don't think the team has it in them this year.

hawkjt
08-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Lately, it has been the defense one nite,the relief pitching the next, the starting pitching the next, and lack of clutch hitting thruout.

Recently,I heard that the sox were 4th in the league in hitting with RISP..I am sure they have dropped the last week or so as it seems they can not possibly be that good in that stat.
But, it is really just getting the guy in from third with one out that they seem to fail at and that rankles even more. I would like a team that makes contact in those situations,maybe even bunt it...but too many Sox can do neither.
Go get'em tonite.

veeter
08-26-2009, 10:43 AM
It doesn't even have to be clutch HITTING. It's about situational at-bats. If Dye just hits a sac fly or a little ground ball, the Sox take the lead. He just likes to swing at pitches that would otherwise hit him. I disagree with AJ, he's been pretty good all year, IMO.

chisox12
08-26-2009, 10:48 AM
This team just can't seem to do the things that good baseball teams do. 1st and 3rd with nobody out and you get nothing??? The Red Sox are throwing the ****ing ball around like a little league team and you don't take advantage of it??? It's been pretty painful to watch. This road trip could be turning into a bloodbath earlier than I thought.

Lip Man 1
08-26-2009, 12:16 PM
According to Mark Gonzales the Sox were 2 for their last 20 in that category recently.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
08-26-2009, 12:46 PM
I think we have seen the last of the 3 slow pokes that clog up the middle of the lineup. Paulie is the only one I see coming back. Thome and Dye should not be resigned. Kenny will have to fill a few holes at DH and RF plus a few spots in the bullpen and a 5th starter.

Redus Redux
08-26-2009, 12:49 PM
We are not handy with the bat. At all.

The FA crop isnt great but something needs to be done at OF/DH this offseason. Going one more year with the aging guys will not work out well.

Lip Man 1
08-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Redus:

Do you have a list of the potential free agents?

Lip

Paulwny
08-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Lately, it has been the defense one nite,the relief pitching the next, the starting pitching the next, and lack of clutch hitting thruout..

All the signs of a .500 team.

fram40
08-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Recently,I heard that the sox were 4th in the league in hitting with RISP..I am sure they have dropped the last week or so as it seems they can not possibly be that good in that stat.

5th in league at .268 RISP (AL avg is .268)
4th in league at .259 with RISP and 2 out (AL avg is .248)
8th in league at .288 with bases loaded (AL avg is .296)

hard to believe they are that good compared to rest of league

from espn.com stat page - splits can be changed

( http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/split/94/league/al/sort/avg/order/true)

eriqjaffe
08-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Redus:

Do you have a list of the potential free agents?

Liphttp://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/12/2010-mlb-free-a.html

They even boldface the Boras clients. ;)

hi im skot
08-26-2009, 05:41 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/12/2010-mlb-free-a.html

They even boldface the Boras clients. ;)

That's a sad list.

Lip Man 1
08-26-2009, 06:55 PM
I don't know if that list includes players who can become free agents if they aren't tendered. Isn't Carl Crawford in that category?

Anyway I see four or five guys who could help the Sox myself.

Lip

thomas35forever
08-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Clutch hitting was the biggest problem last night. Once we got runners at the corners with no out and couldn't do anything with it, I knew our chances were sunk. I wasn't even that upset when Bay hit the homer because I knew it was coming. I was even less surprised when the Red Sox started piling it on even more. We just have to expect this type of thing for the rest of the season because honestly, I don't see things getting any better unless we get as Hell. Reality is setting in and it's not because of the tough road schedule we have.

SBSoxFan
08-28-2009, 09:47 PM
During the Boston series, I saw a graphic, either on tv or in print, that the Sox were hitting something like .210 for the season with a runner at 3B, and something like .204 with runners at 2B and 3B for the season.

You're right, it's never been the pitching.

Lip Man 1
08-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Mark Gonzales had that in his game wrap up story a few nights ago. I couldn't say if they were numbers for the season or for the last 20 games which is what he referred to in his story.

Lip