PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-25 Not Good Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
08-25-2009, 09:18 PM
*sigh*

Go Bears.

whitesoxfan
08-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Another one we piss away. Thanks bullpen and Dye/Pierzynski/Rios.

Go Pack Go.

ozzman
*sigh*

Go Bears.

Go Irish. This is really depressing baseball...

Patrick134
Freddy battled well, but there was no reason to run him out there in the 7th (not that the 'pen would have held the lead anyway).

Soxgirl22
We got Linebrinked....

Sigh.

Chicken Dinner
And Dye wants to stay with the team, yeah right!

hi im skot
http://toastalicious.com/images/toastHistory.gif

johnnyg83
08-25-2009, 09:20 PM
I feel older and grumpier.

SoxGirl4Life
Go Angels. Again.

KnightSox
Same old crap, cannot hit with RISP.

It's Time
I don't know why, but after that 8th inning I felt that this team is just about done. What a joke.

captainclutch24
Team is an embarassment

Soxman219
I just want Linestink off this team next year.

OmahaSoxFan
08-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Well that sucked, lets go Orioles and Angels... maybe the Twins and Tigers will give us a mulligan tonight... but either way we are playing some lousy baseball right now at the worst possible time.

Hopefully Peavy starting on Saturday (if it happens) lights a fire under their asses and gets these guys in a groove, cause right they now they are struggling. And Beckham has really hit a slump (0-5 tonight, ouch!), but tonight he went up against some pretty good pitching tonight.

Go get 'em tomorrow White Sox, or something like that! :o:

ND_Sox_Fan
We got Linebrinked....

Sigh.

More like Linestinked.

SoxGirl4Life
I don't know why, but after that 8th inning I felt that this team is just about done. What a joke.

They're not a joke. They're just mediocre. .500

Patrick134
And Dye wants to stay with the team, yeah right!

When Dye was hot, no one around here wanted him gone, now we all do.

SCCWS
08-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Damn Beckham. Strikes out in 7th w bases loaded and ends game w another runner in scoring position. Once again we have a first round draft pick that can't cut it. We need Getz back and Nix can play third.

Hartman
Linebrink and Ozzie must have a hell of a connection, because I don't know how this guy is still on the ballclub besides his contract.

It's Time
Damn Beckham. Strikes out in 7th w bases loaded and ends game w another runner in scoring position. Once again we have a first round draft pick that can't cut it. We need Getz back and Nix can play third.

:rolleyes:

Jurr
2009 Sox Baseball has played out in two games so far this trip.

Game 1: Defense kills. You give another team extra outs, they kill you. The Sox have been doing it ALL YEAR.

Game 2: Throw away a great start from a pitcher with poor execution and no timely hitting. Let the bullpen piss it away.

This, my friends, is why the Sox will finish sub .500. Think of Peavy and Rios as your add-ons for the 2010 roster (much like Garcia and Contreras were in '04).

The Sox needed to win during the first half to brace themselves for a trip like this. They went on a sleepwalking spell. Now they get exposed.

Football and hockey are right around the corner.

popilius
This season is hanging by a thread. . . we look pretty lifeless most of the time.

:gulp::gulp::gulp:

GoGoCrede
Dye and AJ were also bad tonight with the runner left on 3rd.

I'll keep watching till this team is out of it, but it hasn't been fun lately.

Bear down, Chicago Bears.

Red Barchetta
08-25-2009, 09:23 PM
I can't believe how bad this team has performed since Beuhrle's perfect game that moved us to our high-water mark of 5 games over .500 and into a first place tie with Detroit. It's like the team stop playing to win after that and collectively viewed that moment as the pinnacle of the season. You would think it would have propelled them into first place without looking back. :angry:

Blueprint1
Hey, were not that good.

Dibbs
Nice move putting Linebrink in Ozzie. I would rather have ANYBODY in the game over Linebrink. I have zero faith in the guy, rightfully so.

Andy T Clown
I'm not giving up, not giving up,not giving up,not giving up,not giving up, it aint easy but I'm not giving up...

popilius
:rolleyes:

Double :rolleyes:, actually.

thomas35forever
:roflmao:

When Beckham wins RoY, I'd like to hear what you think of him.

GoGoCrede

The gun, you have jumped it.

FielderJones
08-25-2009, 09:24 PM
What happened to Linebrink not being used in pressure situations? That lasted ... one day??

BadBobbyJenks
Mod Edit: It was lame last night, and it's lame tonight. Enough.

ramblinsoxfan11
ugggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh, what makes this loss worse is that Boston had so many mistakes throughout the game that there's no reason why we should have lost it. I guess go Angels, otherwise... football season starts early

rdwj
Why can't this team hit with RISP? It's depressing

Pear-Zin-Ski
Anyone keeping a tally on Liney?

Tragg
Another game of poor execution, and leaving a pitcher who is questionable in the first place in too long.
Ozzie wants small ball, but his team can't play defense and can't execute.
Guillen needs to get rid of the sidekicks and bring in at least 2 professional coaches next year.

Patrick134
Hey, were not that good.

And it's been that way all year. There heasn't been a minute this year that this team looked like it could do anything in the postseason even if they sneak in.

Brian26

Learn to use teal.

DannyCaterFan
When this road trip comes to an end, this season will be ovahhh !

SCCWS
Dye and AJ were also bad tonight with the runner left on 3rd.

Beckham was worse. He had 2 chances and choked.

It's Time
Linebrink:

Last 14 games, 13 runs.

See ya, Scott.

OmahaSoxFan
08-25-2009, 09:25 PM
I can't believe how bad this team has performed since Beuhrle's perfect game that moved us to our high-water mark of 5 games over .500 and into a first place tie with Detroit. It's like the team stop playing to win after that and collectively viewed that moment as the pinnacle of the season. You would think it would have propelled them into first place without looking back. :angry:

Yeah this team rose with Buerhle, and since he has gone into the tank following the perfect game, the rest of the team has pretty much followed him. That and our 4th and 5th starters lately have blown goats (except Freddy did okay tonight) since we sent away Clayton (even though he wasn't really that good himself). All the games we've pissed away are really catching up to us, and our schedule is looking pretty damn tough for the next week and a half, not good!

Patrick134

He meant with less than 2 outs.

soxfandy

You can't be serious?

BleacherBandit
08-25-2009, 09:26 PM
"I think were alone now
There doesnt seem to be anyone around
I think were alone now
The beating of our hearts is the only sound"

--The Tigers (Tiffany)

Take a hint from that silly cellphone commercial.

hi im skot

I figured your first post was a "teal implied" post, but this post proves you're completely mental.

Harry Potter
Oskee wow wow Illinois

Jurr
And it's been that way all year. There heasn't been a minute this year that this team looked like it could do anything in the postseason even if they sneak in.

Couldn't agree more. You go by what the team has shown. That's why there's a 162 game schedule. What have the Sox done? They've hovered around .500 all year long. They are NOT good. They are mediocre. They have NO chance of winning meaningful games in October.

hi im skot
08-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Linebrink:

Last 14 games, 13 runs.

See ya, Scott.

:o:

Law11

Go to sleep. This is one of the more ridiculous posts on the thread.

Quentin08
I hate waking up in the morning and that first thought hits you: the White Sox choked again last night. It's a miserable way to wake up. :whiner:

GoGoCrede
08-25-2009, 09:28 PM
He meant with less than 2 outs.

Were you referring to me? I'm female. :D:

Anyway, beer's on me tonight, despite Brian26's joke (which made me lol heartily).

BadBobbyJenks

Mod Edit: Not tonight.

popilius
Why can't this team hit with RISP? It's depressing

You're right, but there's more to it. We're actually fifth in the league. BUT the problem is that we can not do it in a close game! When the game's on the line in the late innings, I'd like to know what our hitting with RISP is then.

ChiSoxGirl
I texted JB98 a little while ago with the following, "I never thought I could hate my favorite team in the whole world... 'til tonight. This team is making my baseball heart hurt." :whiner:

soxfandy
08-25-2009, 09:29 PM
It's honestly gotten to a point where i don't even get mad anymore. It's just like watching a 3 hour comedy everynight. I get a ton of laughs. The only difference is that I alrready know whats going to happen in this comedy every night.

Law11
Thank You. BBJ. It had to be done.

This team should be ****ing embarrassed of themselves. The Red Sox tried to give us this game. TRIED. But they couldn't do it. This team just finds ways to lose. Can't get runners in from 3rd with less than 2 outs, can't protect a lead, can't field, and can't blow a game open. All of this with a lot of talent too.

Linebrink should released. Eat the contract. What a ****ing (MOD EDIT) that guy has become.

And what the hell were we doing that last inning? I saw 7 swings and misses on fastballs at the shoulders. The shoulders! What the ****?

Dye should not see the field again till the end of this road trip. He's killing us. Nothing more to say there.

Quentin should have been sent on single from Konerko in the 7th. Does Cox have a scouting report from 2002? Drew's arm isn't that strong anymore, nor does he have good accuracy.

At least Garcia gave us a chance to win with an excellent effort tonight. With the lack of stuff he has, it is amazing that he could give 6 + innings against the Red Sox. It is a ****ing shame our offense wasn't there to back him.

Nix had a good game too. Made a nice play and had two hits.

That's all I got. Hopefully we can touch up Wakefield tomorrow

rdwj
08-25-2009, 09:32 PM
You're right, but there's more to it. We're actually fifth in the league. BUT the problem is that we can not do it in a close game! When the game's on the line in the late innings, I'd like to know what our hitting with RISP is then.

I saw that stat tonight and thought it was a mistake. I think you're right - we must be getting most of them in blowouts because it seems like it NEVER happens when we really need it.

Jurr
08-25-2009, 09:32 PM
This team should be ****ing embarrassed of themselves. The Red Sox tried to give us this game. TRIED. But they couldn't do it. This team just finds ways to lose. Can't get runners in from 3rd with less than 2 outs, can't protect a lead, can't field, and can't blow a game open. All of this with a lot of talent too.

Linebrink should released. Eat the contract. What a ****ing (MOD EDIT) that guy has become.

And what the hell were we doing that last inning? I saw 7 swings and misses on fastballs at the shoulders. The shoulders! What the ****?

Dye should not see the field again till the end of this road trip. He's killing us. Nothing more to say there.

Quentin should have been sent on single from Konerko in the 7th. Does Cox have a scouting report from 2002? Drew's arm isn't that strong anymore, nor does he have good accuracy.

At least Garcia gave us a chance to win with an excellent effort tonight. With the lack of stuff he has, it is amazing that he could give 6 + innings against the Red Sox. It is a ****ing shame our offense wasn't there to back him.

Nix had a good game too. Made a nice play and had two hits.

That's all I got. Hopefully we can touch up Wakefield tomorrow
The Sox should have beaten Detroit, but Bobby Jenks got in the way.
The Sox should have gotten out of the inning last night, but Jose booted the ball.

This team is definitely not total doo-doo, but they are a hair below mediocre. Their record at the end of the season will indicate that.

Quentin08
08-25-2009, 09:33 PM
This team is mental. They play much better in a fast-paced game when there's not as much time to think. I don't know where it started, but it's definitely contagious. The whole team is mental.

BadBobbyJenks
08-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Mod Edit: It was lame last night, and it's lame tonight. Enough.

Sox Suck.

Linebrink Sucks.

Our offense Sucks.

We are not going to catch the Tiggers.

Sorry, I forgot to read my postgame thread handbook.

Jurr
08-25-2009, 09:35 PM
It's honestly gotten to a point where i don't even get mad anymore. It's just like watching a 3 hour comedy everynight. I get a ton of laughs. The only difference is that I alrready know whats going to happen in this comedy every night.

You just can't. Someone wiser than myself once said, "sometimes you eat the barr, and sometimes, well, he eats you."

This just wasn't the year. No magic switch will come on in the next 30 games to counter a 130 game trend.

GoGoCrede
I'm tuning in for what is sure to be an epic Ranger postgame show. Bring on the crazies!

Soxfanspcu11
As much as I love what Ozzie has done for us, it is time for him to go. I cant believe that I am saying that but this has to happen, he has completely lost this team. There is absolutely NO LIFE in them what so ever and they are far more talented than this. And before a few people jump all over me for saying this (even though it's true), please know that I own an authentic Ozzie Guillen jersey complete with the World Series patch. It is my favorite jersey and so it would suck to have him gone but I care more about the Sox winning than I do about the jersey. Besides as the saying goes, "we will always have Paris"....................:whiner:

Brian26
08-25-2009, 09:36 PM
Sorry, I forgot to read my postgame thread handbook.

If you need some time off to study it, that can be arranged.

Let me know.

SCCWS
08-25-2009, 09:36 PM
You can't be serious?

No but it is amazing how fans react. Linebrink stunk and is being trashed. But Thorton blew the game as well and little mention. AJ and Dye being trashed and they choked. But so did Beckham---no mention. Nix had a good game so I guess he is a star.

Teams win and lose games. The White Sox do not have an all-star in any position except pitching. The 8 starters are all pretty average players. None are great hitters and none are great fielders. Some are ageing and in decline and some are young and on the rise. Boston has 3-4 all-star type players. So the White Sox need either great pitching or an off night by the opponent to win these games. They got neither tonight and lost.

thomas35forever
08-25-2009, 09:37 PM
As much as I love what Ozzie has done for us, it is time for him to go. I cant believe that I am saying that but this has to happen, he has completely lost this team. There is absolutely NO LIFE in them what so ever and they are far more talented than this. And before a few people jump all over me for saying this (even though it's true), please know that I own an authentic Ozzie Guillen jersey complete with the World Series patch. It is my favorite jersey and so it would suck to have him gone but I care more about the Sox winning than I do about the jersey. Besides as the saying goes, "we will always have Paris"....................:whiner:
He's signed through 2012, and there's no way Kenny will let Ozzie go if we were still this close to first in late August.

Jaffar

Ozzie sure did blow those scoring opportunities.

soxfandy
You just can't. Someone wiser than myself once said, "sometimes you eat the barr, and sometimes, well, he eats you."

This just wasn't the year. No magic switch will come on in the next 30 games to counter a 130 game trend.

You speak the truth. I hope we shut peavy down for the rest of this year. During this offseason get rid of all the garbage and let the youngsters play. People will say we are rushing them, but at this point they can't be any worse than what we are seeing on a daily basis this year.

BadBobbyJenks
08-25-2009, 09:38 PM
If you need some time off to study it, that can be arranged.

Let me know.

We are woefully mediocre, I forgot to add that.

Patrick134
08-25-2009, 09:39 PM
We are woefully mediocre, I forgot to add that.

Amen. We need to beef up the quality of our posts.

SoxGirl4Life
I'm tuning in for what is sure to be an epic Ranger postgame show. Bring on the crazies!

Already out. The last one called Kenny an idiot pretty much. And that *he* knew the bullpen was garbage all along. I swear. Our fans are something else.

Brian26
As much as I love what Ozzie has done for us, it is time for him to go.

I can't believe there's another manager out there right now that could magically cure Linebrink's woes, somehow make Thome run faster or reinvent Dye's swing.

hi im skot

I have no doubt that Ozzie has been giving guys a piece of his mind over the past couple weeks.

I fail to see how any of this is Guillen's fault. Yes, he's given Linebrink (too) many chances to turn things around, and he's left starters in too long from time to time; every manager makes mistakes.

The issues that we're seeing currently, however...it's difficult for me to pin them on Ozzie. The players should look in the mirror to see the major problem.

Brian26
08-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Break up the Nationals. LOL.

Soxfanspcu11
08-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Ozzie sure did blow those scoring opportunities.

No he didnt, but he has completely lost this team. If they have the lead late in games, especially on the road, and the opponent comes back to tie or take the lead, the Sox roll over and die. They dont even try to win the game at that point. If you have watched the Sox AT ALL this year, you would know that and a lot of that blame has to go on the manager.

There is NO REASON that a team with this much talent should be anywhere near .500. If this were another team other than the Sox that was in the same position, everyone would be able to see it objectively and realize that the manager isin't getting the job done.

LoveYourSuit
08-25-2009, 09:42 PM
It's not even worth to get mad and bent out of shape anymore.

One word to describe these guys .... DOGS.

Patrick134
08-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Break up the Nationals. LOL.

If you could steal Adam Dunn he'd be an ok DH.

Lip Man 1
08-25-2009, 09:43 PM
7th game this year the Sox lost after taking a lead into the 7th inning or later.

It's just not coming together this year.

Lip

thomas35forever
08-25-2009, 09:43 PM
No he didnt, but he has completely lost this team. If they have the lead late in games, especially on the road, and the opponent comes back to tie or take the lead, the Sox roll over and die. They dont even try to win the game at that point. If you have watched the Sox AT ALL this year, you would know that and a lot of that blame has to go on the manager.

There is NO REASON that a team with this much talent should be anywhere near .500. If this were another team other than the Sox that was in the same position, everyone would be able to see it objectively and realize that the manager isin't getting the job done.
And your new manager is who?

GoGoCrede
08-25-2009, 09:44 PM
It's not even worth to get mad and bent out of shape anymore.

One word to describe these guys .... DOGS.

LYS, I gotta bust out our joke from earlier this year. These guys don't deserve us taking them out for ice cream, amirite?

And if we're going to blow the division anyway, can just rip the bandaid off already?

Jaffar

They just like to put runners on 1st and 3rd with no outs to try and trick us that don't watch then I guess or just stop trying once they get there. It's ok to say it's a bad team.

SoxGirl4Life
LYS, I gotta bust out our joke from earlier this year. These guys don't deserve us taking them out for ice cream, amirite?

And if we're going to blow the division anyway, can just rip the bandaid off already?

That's what this roadtrip is going to do.

BadBobbyJenks
We were pretty good at getting people to third tonight.

Baby steps people, baby steps.

hi im skot
08-25-2009, 09:45 PM
No but it is amazing how fans react. Linebrink stunk and is being trashed. But Thorton blew the game as well and little mention. AJ and Dye being trashed and they choked. But so did Beckham---no mention. Nix had a good game so I guess he is a star.

Teams win and lose games. The White Sox do not have an all-star in any position except pitching. The 8 starters are all pretty average players. None are great hitters and none are great fielders. Some are ageing and in decline and some are young and on the rise. Boston has 3-4 all-star type players. So the White Sox need either great pitching or an off night by the opponent to win these games. They got neither tonight and lost.

Sheesh.

Linebrink has been **** all year, while Thornton, AJ, Dye and Beckham have been solid contributors throughout 2009 (and other seasons, in most of their cases).

And this whole all-star argument...the Yankees have had seasons where they had an all-star caliber player at every position and didn't do **** in the postseason. Despite the struggles this season, we have some players that are FAR above-average.

Just a weak post all around.

Soxgirl22

True, true. Now, we just need to actually get them to score!

SoxGirl4Life

Teal? :duck:

Jaffar
08-25-2009, 09:46 PM

Get them on, get them over, and then ozzie puts on the popup and strikeout calls.

It's Time
08-25-2009, 09:47 PM
And your new manager is who?
http://frankthetank.files.wordpress.com/2006/12/kenny-williams-white-sox.jpg
"Hey, Lou, this is Kenny. How would you like to manage the White Sox next year"?.

http://www.uncoached.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/major-league-lou-brown.JPG
"Ohhh, I dunno. Hey, let me call you back, I've got a guy on the phone about some tires".

hi im skot
08-25-2009, 09:47 PM

Can you explain how Ozzie has "lost" this team? I have to assume you're sitting in on the team meetings and have a feeling on what the general attitude in the clubhouse is.

SoxGirl4Life
08-25-2009, 09:48 PM
http://frankthetank.files.wordpress.com/2006/12/kenny-williams-white-sox.jpg
"Hey, Lou, this is Kenny. How would you like to manage the White Sox next year"?.

http://www.uncoached.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/major-league-lou-brown.JPG
"Ohhh, I dunno. Hey, let me call you back, I've got a gy on the phone about some tires".

NEVER.. I would pick death first.

It's Time
NEVER.. I would pick death first.

:redneck

Jurr
I have no doubt that Ozzie has been giving guys a piece of his mind over the past couple weeks.

I fail to see how any of this is Guillen's fault. Yes, he's given Linebrink (too) many chances to turn things around, and he's left starters in too long from time to time; every manager makes mistakes.

The issues that we're seeing currently, however...it's difficult for me to pin them on Ozzie. The players should look in the mirror to see the major problem.

Well, if Thome, Dye, Konerko, and the rest of this highly paid offensive roster would have put together SOME semblance of an offense during the first two months of the year, they could've saved the bullpen some big innings.

Another way to protect your bullpen is to have some human being capable of filling a fifth starter role. We played musical chairs with the 4th and 5th spot all year. Lip pointed that out perfectly last night. (Remember Jeff Marquez?)

The best bullpens are the ones you don't have to rely on night in and night out. They're flawed pitchers from the get-go..otherwise they'd be starters.

People die of heart failure all the time...it's not necessarily the heart that was the main culprit. Something else led to the problem.

Get this team a competent fifth starter next year and watch the win totals increase. Put Rios in center. Get a pretty good right fielder and DH Dye. Wave good bye to Jim Thome. For the love of GOD find a leadoff hitter. This team could win a WS.

Frankie5Angels
08-25-2009, 09:49 PM
From Cowley's twitter:

Podsednik: "It's time to start taking the field with a little more intensity."

BadBobbyJenks
Get them on, get them over, and then ozzie puts on the popup and strikeout calls.

That is what is being lost in all of this Linebrink talk Jaffar. Why the hell is Ozzie telling guys to strike out and pop up with people on third? I just dont get it. That is NOT good managing.

:fireozzie

SoxGirl4Life

lol.. damn. Think we should tell him basehits would be better?

Patrick134
08-25-2009, 09:50 PM
From Cowley's twitter:

Was Pods jotting that down when he got picked off in Seattle ? Or when he got picked off against Baltimore?

SoxGirl4Life
From Cowley's twitter:

Now? Umm.. Scotty, it was time in July.

Frankie5Angels
Guillen on his offense: "this is the wrong time to get the tight ass"

GoGoCrede
08-25-2009, 09:51 PM
From Cowley's twitter:

Haha. Almost as classic as Soriano telling Cub fans to 'be patient' after last year's postseason.

hi im skot
08-25-2009, 09:52 PM
From Cowley's twitter:

Replace "intensity" with "talent" and you're on to something, Scotty.

Also, thanks for deciding to not phone it in now that you're about to be 4.5 games out of first place.

Ugh.

LoveYourSuit
08-25-2009, 09:52 PM

Yeah, we laughed back then but it might be the medicine.

Instead of Kenny turning over the food table, Have him drive into the locker room with a Good Humor truck.

BadBobbyJenks
08-25-2009, 09:53 PM
From Cowley's twitter:

On the bright side, it appears we have saved a ton of intensity for the stretch run. Get on back there!

StillMissOzzie
08-25-2009, 09:55 PM
He's signed through 2012, and there's no way Kenny will let Ozzie go if we were still this close to first in late August.

Per Cot's, LineStink is only signed through 2011. But, I didn't realize how much of a bump KW gave him in his 4 year deal that started in 2008. He was at $1.75M in 2007, and KW gave him [ $4.0M / $4.5M / $5.0M / $5.5M ] along with a NTC for 2008-2011!!! The Sox would have to get him to waive that even if they COULD find a taker for this steaming pile.

A real nice, yet unexpected, effort by Freddy goes for naught.
Crappy situational hitting with RISP, especially w/ less than 2 outs. Put the damn ball in play!
I knew that the White Sox were gonna lose when they failed to score in the top of the 8th, it was just a matter of by how much. All the more aggravating to see LineStink involved yet again.

:reinsy
"Anyone who thinks that we are going to catch the Ind...I mean Tigers is crazy!"

But as long as there is hope...

SMO
:gulp:

LoveYourSuit
08-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Now? Umm.. Scotty, it was time in July.

It goes to show that the urgency was never written on the wall.

The coaching staff + Ozzie must be Poker experts by now because the only thing they preach in that clubhouse must be playing cards.

hi im skot
08-25-2009, 09:57 PM
It goes to show that the urgency was never written on the wall.

The coaching staff + Ozzie must be Poker experts by now because the only thing they preach in that clubhouse must be playing cards.

Shame on the players if they couldn't figure out that they need to, you know, start playing baseball well if they want to earn some playoff bonuses.

kobo
Has everyone forgotten about the beginning of the season? When Dewayne Wise started CF, Lillibridge was getting playing time, Fields was the starting 3B, and Colon was the 5th starter? Sure, the lineup has had some significant changes over the last 2 months but it's the beginning of the season that hurt this team. Add to that abysmal defense and we have what comes out to be a .500 club. This team has had no identity all year long and hasn't been able to get on a significant roll at any point this season. I'm frustrated as much as anyone, but to be amazed at why this team is at .500 makes no sense to me.

tstrike2000
Division isn't out of reach, but right now I just hope we finish the season with a winning record.

Brian26
That Linebrink deal is going to make the Julio Cruz signing look like a smart move.

chisoxfanatic
08-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Screw you, Liney! :angry:

Jurr
Replace "intensity" with "talent" and you're on to something, Scotty.

Also, thanks for deciding to not phone it in now that you're about to be 4.5 games out of first place.

Ugh.

Once again, perfectly said.

People were talking about the "TALENT" of this roster that Ozzie let fail. Are you serious? Beckham will be great. He's playing third base for the first time in his CAREER because Fields sucked. The team relied heavily on Getz and Nix, two other players getting their first crack at the bigs.

The Sox relied on Contreras to recover from an Achilles injury or Colon deciding to pitch. Disasters on both counts. Clayton Richard began stepping up, and he was dealt at the PERFECT TIME to get Peavy for next year.

Corky Miller was our backup catcher. Brent Lillebridge made an appearance.

Don't give me the Thome and Konerko comment as our "premier talent", either. These guys are good players, not game changers anymore. The days of All-Star appearances are over for these two.

What I see here is a .500 or slightly below baseball team that gave young players a chance to be pretty damn good next year.

Oh, I forgot about CF. Brian Anderson? Dewayne Wise? Nope. We pulled Podsednik off of the scrap heap and milked one more decent season from him.

WhiteSox1989
The Sox are making it very difficult for me to stay optimistic about this season.

Win the next two games, and then sweep the Yankees, please.

Garcia didn't look bad tonight.

Patrick134
These Linebrink outings should remind people how crucial Politte was (along with Cotts) to the Sox in '05.

TDog
08-25-2009, 10:00 PM
*sigh*

Go Bears.

Such an attitude almost makes me hope the Bears lose every game this season. I say "almost" because I wouldn't care enough to hear about it even if they did. But If they do lose their a bunch of games, I promise I won't go to a Bears forum and suggest there is nothing to do but wait until football season.

The baseball season is far from over, even if the Tigers do win tonight, which I don't think they will do.

Obviously, the White Sox should have won tonight's game. They certainly had ample opportunity. Thornton is more to blame than Linebrink from a pitching perspective. Had he held the lead, it would have changed everything. The White Sox went to the bullpen so early Monday night, that it was critical that Thornton get the job done tonight.

Of course, offensively, Rios, Pierzynski and Beckham share much of the responsibility for the loss, even if there were one or two well-hit balls among them.

I don't complain about the batting order, but I will say I am surprised Beckham is still batting second because he seems the easiest out on the team right now. Since he seemed to come out of his slump (4-for-27, .148) with a great weekend in Oakland, he is 4-for-32 -- a .125 batting average -- with two home runs, seeming to personify the sort of offense that draws so much ire at WSI. Pierzynski and Rios had opportunities to give the Sox the lead.

But the only hitter to give the Sox the lead was the only hitter to tie it (the secnod tying run being a gift). Nix tied the game and then got the two-out hit to make the score 3-2. He picked up the only White Sox RBIs.

Garcia gave the White Sox more than they had any reason to expect, but it wasn't enough after last night's game went through the bullpen. It's too bad that he lost. Bringing in Thornton at the start of the inning wouldn't have made any difference the way the Red Sox were hitting him.

Really, what the White Sox needed tonight was the sort of offense they had Monday night. Whether it was the Boston pitching or the inability of the hitters is irrelevant. Maybe they should have left Contreras in the game to give up 20 or 30 runs, until the Red Sox tired themselves out. They would have been better situated for tonight's game. Sarcasm was implied there, but after the Sox lost 19-1 against the Twins, they came back to win the next two.

SCCWS
08-25-2009, 10:01 PM

" This much talent"............ Where??? :

1. IB-We have an above average 1st baseman. Good hitter-slow runner-good fielder. Declining
2. 2b-Nix/Getz-below average. Neutral
3. SS-average hitter-below average hitter. Rising
4. 3B- above average hitter below average fielder. Rising
5. LF- average hitter-below average fielder. We hope rising
6 CF-Rios-average both hitting and field. We hope Rising
7. RF- average . Declining
8 C - above average hitter and below average fielder-Neutral

The starting 8 does not have one all-star calibre player. A few above average and a few below. A few rising young players and a few declining older ones. They have 3 pretty solid starters and a solid closer. Rest of staff is average.

Overall average talent.

LoveYourSuit
08-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Shame on the players if they couldn't figure out that they need to, you know, start playing baseball well if they want to earn some playoff bonuses.

Playoff bonuses mean **** for these guys.

LoveYourSuit
08-25-2009, 10:03 PM
" This much talent"............ Where??? :

1. IB-We have an above average 1st baseman. Good hitter-slow runner-good fielder. Declining
2. 2b-Nix/Getz-below average. Neutral
3. SS-average hitter-below average hitter. Rising
5. LF- average hitter-below average fielder. We hope rising
6 CF-Rios-average both hitting and field. We hope Rising
7. RF- average . Declining
8 C - above average hitter and below average fielder-Neutral

The starting 8 does not have one all-star calibre player. A few above average and a few below. A few rising young players and a few declining older ones. They have 3 pretty solid starters and a solid closer. Rest of staff is average.

Overall average talent.

Alexei this year from last year ..... very declining in my book.

The guy went from one of the smartest players on the club to a complete imbecile.

kobo
08-25-2009, 10:04 PM

Beckham is not a below average fielder. He's no Crede, but his glove is at the worst average, which is great considering this is the first time the kid has played the position.

wassagstdu
08-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Alexei Ramirez should not be the White Sox shortstop in 2010.

TDog
08-25-2009, 10:05 PM

That is not true.

LoveYourSuit
08-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Alexei Ramirez should not be the White Sox shortstop in 2010.

Scarry part is that his biggest tool, his arm, did not exist this year.

The guy has a puss arm.

LoveYourSuit
08-25-2009, 10:07 PM
That is not true.

Sorry, I didn't realize you took a survey. :rolleyes:

Unless you are some minimum wage 1st - 2nd year player, play off bonuses is not the reason you so highly desire to play in post season.

Noneck
08-25-2009, 10:08 PM
From Cowley's twitter:

This is nice to be heard from someone even from a vet taken off the scrap heap.

But I would have liked to hear it coming from the future HOFer or the Captain or Mr Perfecto.

Tragg
08-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Williams said the team is underperforming. Who usually has responsibility when the team underperforms? Did the team underperform in 2006? 2007? Maybe even 2008?

What about the consistent mental errors that have consistently happened all year long. What responsibility falls on the coaches? What measures has Guillen taken to correct it? The team frequently doesn't execute - whose responsibility is that?

And then there are the direct own managerial decisions: keeping pitchers in when it's obvious they were cooked (Contreras last night); questionable uses of personnel for the last several years; today, a roster spot is wasted solely for sentimentality.

The best managers in any endeavor find the absolute best supervisors and personnel they can. Has Ozzie hired the best, most professional coaches around?

He's not the worst manager around - not even close. But to completely immunize this staff from responsibility is misguided.

hi im skot
08-25-2009, 10:11 PM

Totally/probably right, but my point is that you play the game to make the playoffs. If Podsednik can't figure that out until tonight, shame on him.

TDog
08-25-2009, 10:11 PM
Sorry, I didn't realize you took a survey. :rolleyes:

Unless you are some minimum wage 1st - 2nd year player, play off bonuses is not the reason you so highly desire to play in post season.

I haven't taken surveys, but I have talked to players who get playoff bonus checks after the season, and it means something to them.

But you can continue to make assumptions, though.

Blueprint1
08-25-2009, 10:12 PM

This has to be a joke? I really hope so.

SCCWS
08-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Beckham is not a below average fielder. He's no Crede, but his glove is at the worst average, which is great considering this is the first time the kid has played the position.

I think he will improve w time. But his actual performance so far is below average. He has a below .950 % and has made 11 errors in 60 games. Not his fault since he is learning a new position.

SCCWS
08-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Thishas to be a joke? I really hope so.

It was but if we say AJ choked then so did Beckham

veeter
08-25-2009, 10:20 PM
I've never seen a team, when they get first and third and nobody out, the opponent has them right where they want them. It used to be second and third, this year it's first and third. I'm ****ing pissed.

DrCrawdad
08-25-2009, 10:26 PM
I just want Linestink off this team next year.

I want him off the team now!

ode to veeck
08-25-2009, 10:36 PM
On the bright side, it appears we have saved a ton of intensity for the stretch run. Get on back there!

nice rip by Pods there in the 9th about as far as he can possibly hit it too

palehozenychicty
08-25-2009, 10:51 PM
We're just not that good. In real life, this team will be a lot stronger in 2010.

The Dude
08-25-2009, 10:55 PM
When Dye was hot, no one around here wanted him gone, now we all do.

I am proud to say, I did. Ask anyone I know. I've gotten so much **** for it over the last two years but we need to take care of the aging 2005 teammate. Whatever:rolleyes:

Boondock Saint
08-25-2009, 11:00 PM
I am proud to say, I did. Ask anyone I know. I've gotten so much **** for it over the last two years but we need to take care of the aging 2005 teammate. Whatever:rolleyes:

Standing ovation for your foresight.

That "aging 2005 teammate" has been the best, most consistent hitter on this team for the last few years now.

Brewski
08-25-2009, 11:01 PM
These Linebrink outings should remind people how crucial Politte was (along with Cotts) to the Sox in '05.

You may never see a bullpen performance like that in a lifetime.

Obviously, the White Sox should have won tonight's game. They certainly had ample opportunity. Thornton is more to blame than Linebrink from a pitching perspective. Had he held the lead, it would have changed everything. The White Sox went to the bullpen so early Monday night, that it was critical that Thornton get the job done tonight.

Garcia gave the White Sox more than they had any reason to expect, but it wasn't enough after last night's game went through the bullpen. It's too bad that he lost. Bringing in Thornton at the start of the inning wouldn't have made any difference the way the Red Sox were hitting him.

Thanks for seeing past Liney (who should not have been placed in the situation) to the main culprit, Thornton, who also happens to be our latest mound hero. What I saw tonight is the reason I don't think he is closer material.

Frankfan4life
08-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Winning streak, hellooo, winning streak, helllooo....

Nellie_Fox
08-25-2009, 11:20 PM
When Dye was hot, no one around here wanted him gone, now we all do.You don't speak for everyone.

As much as I love what Ozzie has done for us, it is time for him to go. I cant believe that I am saying that but this has to happen, he has completely lost this team.You have no idea if this is true. You aren't in the clubhouse.

No but it is amazing how fans react. Linebrink stunk and is being trashed. But Thorton blew the game as well and little mention. AJ and Dye being trashed and they choked. But so did Beckham---no mention. Nix had a good game so I guess he is a star. I don't turn on players based on their performance in one game. Thornton has been extremely reliable. He had a below-par outing. Nobody is great every time out. Nobody.

Beckham didn't come through, but to say he "choked" is insane. See above. Nobody is great every time. Big Frank took 0-fers in his prime.

And for those using the third-grade insult name "Linestink," grow up. Do you really think that's clever?

TDog
08-25-2009, 11:23 PM
Standing ovation for your foresight.

That "aging 2005 teammate" has been the best, most consistent hitter on this team for the last few years now.

Not to mention that over the last couple of weeks, Beckham has been a weaker link on the offense than Dye has.

gobears1987
08-26-2009, 12:07 AM
I've been trying to stay away from this postgame thread, but I can't. I'm just really bummed here.

It's something different every night. One night we have stellar pitching from the starters and the pen only for our offense to do nothing. The next night, our offense scores 8 runs and we lose because our pitching and defense weren't there. I just can't comprehend it and am out of ideas. This team has been streaky and to quote Lee Elia, "I hope we get ****ing hotter than ****." Can this team win the division? I just don't know. We have enough games against the Tigers to control our own destiny, but our track record against the division isn't something to write home about.

I'm not angry here like some posters are. I'm just sad :(:

The Immigrant
08-26-2009, 12:21 AM
Not to mention that over the last couple of weeks, Beckham has been a weaker link on the offense than Dye has.

That's ridiculous.

WhiteSox5187
08-26-2009, 12:46 AM
I don't know, maybe it's just me but I am starting to see shades of 2004 (minus the injuries). I think these guys are trying but when you have the holes we have at the 4th and 5th spots in the rotation, it's hard to see this club going anywhere in 2009. I feel really good about 2010 though!

Chicken Dinner
08-26-2009, 12:49 AM

Get your facts right!

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?teamPosCode=all&statType=1&timeFrame=1&Submit=Submit&c_id=cws&sitSplit=&venueID=&baseballScope=CHA&timeSubFrame=14&&sortByStat=AVG

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?teamPosCode=all&statType=1&timeFrame=1&Submit=Submit&c_id=cws&subScope=pos&sitSplit=&venueID=&baseballScope=CHA&timeSubFrame=15&&sortByStat=AVG

Lip Man 1
08-26-2009, 01:02 AM
Ozzie's post game remarks are right on the money...of course the issue is, what can be done about it at this late date:

"'If you watched us all year long, we're really bad with men on third base and less than two outs, maybe the worst team in baseball right now. If someone is worse than us, that's a record. That continues to bite us. Good teams score the guy from third base, and we're not doing that right now. We haven't done that all year long, period.''

I'd like to read Ozzie speculate on why myself.

Lip

Dan H
08-26-2009, 04:34 AM
No matter what Kenny Williams said, this was a rebuilding year. And more rebuilding needs to be done. Only a bad division has kept them in it. The White Sox don't rank with AL's best teams. Will they win any this week?

aryzner
08-26-2009, 07:33 AM
I would have written in here last night but it would have been just a bunch of censored words on your computer screen.

It's just disappointing is all. Any one of us here can get paid to do the same thing - not get guys in on 3rd base with no outs. At this point, I could watch a guy ground into a double play in that situation and be ECSTATIC about it because we actually got the run in.

I am officially starting to get the "this season is over" feeling but I still have a little bit of hope knowing how we have games left against Detroit. But at this rate, those games won't matter by the time we get there...

russ99
08-26-2009, 07:50 AM
Guess you guys didn't watch the game. I saw Scott Linebrink pitch out of a major jam in the 7th with some really good pitches.

Ozzie's the one who tried to get too much from him by keeping him in for the 8th. If he's not the set up guy anymore, Thornton should have started that inning. It's what i've been carping about all season, the pen hasvno roles other than closer, they get shuttled in and out in Ozzie's whim.

But the reason we lost is the usual homer-or-nothing Walkerball..

fram40
08-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Ozzie's post game remarks are right on the money...of course the issue is, what can be done about it at this late date:

"'If you watched us all year long, we're really bad with men on third base and less than two outs, maybe the worst team in baseball right now. If someone is worse than us, that's a record. That continues to bite us. Good teams score the guy from third base, and we're not doing that right now. We haven't done that all year long, period.''

Lip

I wanted AJ to lay down a bunt in the 8th - a suicide squeeze or safety squeeze, whatever. He had scarificed an inning earlier - why not do it again.

It seems as if I have been seeing this lack of production with RISP since the WS championship.

Try something different, please.

Dibbs
08-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Guess you guys didn't watch the game. I saw Scott Linebrink pitch out of a major jam in the 7th with some really good pitches

There is really no need to defend Linebrink. He is horrible and lost another game. I would pitch ANYBODY in his place. I agree it is more Ozzie's fault to have him in there though.

You know the end is near when the losses start hurting less and less.

kittle42
08-26-2009, 10:34 AM

Ozzie should tell his players they can't hit a sac fly by popping out to the IF.

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Ozzie should tell his players they can't hit a sac fly by popping out to the IF.

It seems like the so-called sac flys we hit are hit right to the exact wrong place, midway to the warning track. There is never a deep fly ball when we need one. It's so maddening watching our guys 90ft away from home plate only to be sent back to the dugout come the third out.

Let's turn things around tonight!

KyWhiSoxFan
08-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Guess you guys didn't watch the game. I saw Scott Linebrink pitch out of a major jam in the 7th with some really good pitches.

Ozzie's the one who tried to get too much from him by keeping him in for the 8th. If he's not the set up guy anymore, Thornton should have started that inning. It's what i've been carping about all season, the pen hasvno roles other than closer, they get shuttled in and out in Ozzie's whim.

But the reason we lost is the usual homer-or-nothing Walkerball..

If Linebrink can only pitch to one batter, he is useless. And I think that has been established.

Foulke You
08-26-2009, 12:39 PM
If Linebrink can only pitch to one batter, he is useless. And I think that has been established.
I fear that because of his large contract, the Sox are going to go the "MacDougal Route" and continue to trot him out there in important situations with the hope of him turning it around. I certainly hope he turns it around because if he doesn't, this process will continue to cost the Sox a lot of ball games as it did with MacDougal. I'm of the opinion that if he sucks, he sucks. The Blue Jays knew BJ Ryan was done and his contract was three times what Linebrink's is. The Jays have moved on and I hope the Sox will too if Linebrink continues to falter.

JB98
08-26-2009, 12:52 PM
There is really no need to defend Linebrink. He is horrible and lost another game. I would pitch ANYBODY in his place. I agree it is more Ozzie's fault to have him in there though.

You know the end is near when the losses start hurting less and less.

You also know the end is near when you start expecting to lose. I figured we would lose last night, although the methodology was a little different than I expected. I figured Garcia would blow the game. He actually did a good job. He walked off the mound with a lead in the seventh inning. It was the rest of the team that sucked.

ShoelessJoeS
08-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Freddy deserves some big props here. He sure did battle out there, and far exceeded my expectations at least. Yea, we all know Linestink blows, but our inability to hit in the clutch and get runners in scoring position home is killing us far worse.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-26-2009, 03:20 PM
Freddy deserves some big props here. He sure did battle out there, and far exceeded my expectations at least. Yea, we all know Linestink blows, but our inability to hit in the clutch and get runners in scoring position home is killing us far worse.

Freddy has a month to show he can be the 5th starter for the Sox next year. We'll see what happens. Last night surely was encouraging for him.

Foulke You
08-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Freddy has a month to show he can be the 5th starter for the Sox next year. We'll see what happens. Last night surely was encouraging for him.
Freddy knows how to pitch and I have a feeling he could be what the doctor ordered for the #5 spot. A veteran who knows how to pitch and keeps you in the ball game.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-26-2009, 04:08 PM
7IU1bzZheWk

BadBobbyJenks
08-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Incredible stamina ^

VeeckAsInWreck
08-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Incredible stamina ^

I think the music keeps him going. :redneck

TDog
08-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Get your facts right!

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?teamPosCode=all&statType=1&timeFrame=1&Submit=Submit&c_id=cws&sitSplit=&venueID=&baseballScope=CHA&timeSubFrame=14&&sortByStat=AVG

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?teamPosCode=all&statType=1&timeFrame=1&Submit=Submit&c_id=cws&subScope=pos&sitSplit=&venueID=&baseballScope=CHA&timeSubFrame=15&&sortByStat=AVG

I stand by what I wrote and believe my facts are right.

Over the last week, Dye's on-base percentage in the last week is 40 points higher and he hasn't struck out as much as Beckham. Those are the facts. Take out the Oakland series (oddly enough, the Sox have played very well in Oakland over the last two seasons), and Beckham is hitting under .200 going back through the trip to Seattle.

Dye isn't the problem with the White Sox. Neither is Beckham. But Tuesday night, Beckham was more disappointing than Dye.