PDA

View Full Version : August 2005 vs August 2009..same sense of frustration?

captain54
08-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Somewhere around the same time 4 years ago, the Sox went on a 7 game losing streak that had most Sox fans in a near state of panic...

Also, one month later, they lost 4 in row to further cut into the lead they had over the hard charging Indians...seriously raising everyone's anxiety level..

How does this August of 2009 compare to the August 2005 situation?...Do you feel like a .500 team isn't worth the anxiety? are you waiting for the final curtain to come down on the Sox 2009 season somewhere around the end of August?

Or have you learned a lesson from 2005, that is, keep the faith, you never know what can happen???

kittle42
08-25-2009, 05:39 PM
How does this August of 2009 compare to the August 2005 situation?...Do you feel like a .500 team isn't worth the anxiety? are you waiting for the final curtain to come down on the Sox 2009 season somewhere around the end of August?

Or have you learned a lesson from 2005, that is, keep the faith, you never know what can happen???

We were in first place all of 2005. That was a team you *knew* could turn it on.

They played at this team's level for a stretch while Cleveland got torrid.

Two different situations entirely.

ChicagoHoosier
08-25-2009, 05:40 PM
This reminds me more of September of 2008, where the division was ours for the taking and we just kept losing games and blowing opportunities to secure the division.

DumpJerry
08-25-2009, 05:42 PM
We were in first place all of 2005. That was a team you *knew* could turn it on.

Agreed.

This team is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're getting each night.

2005 was pure joy. Some people panicked during the August skid, but we never lost our grip on First Place. We were last in First on July 23rd, over one month ago.

DeuceUnit
08-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Unlike the 2005 team this team is "stupid" in terms of baseball. This team makes a routine ground out or even a pop-up an adventure on a daily basis. I have never seen so many baserunning and fundamental errors in a long time. I feel way worse about this team.

Woofer
08-25-2009, 05:46 PM
In 2005, we were slowly barfing up the lead. It was really frustrating, but we had the lead.

In 2009, we are in second place, slowly sinking towards 3rd place. It's frustrating because this division has been given to us on a silver platter, and it's not looking good.

The frustation is different, the interest level is different, because the Sox are not in first.

HomeFish
08-25-2009, 05:49 PM
This team has won a World Series in my lifetime. I will never get as frustrated or heartbroken with this team as I did before 2005, because I at least have that in the bank and nobody can ever take it away from me.

In 2005 (and 2003, and 2000, etc) I got far more frustrated because I thought that a rare chance for them to win it during my natural lifespan was being wasted.

Max Power
08-25-2009, 05:51 PM
This reminds me more of September of 2008, where the division was ours for the taking and we just kept losing games and blowing opportunities to secure the division.

That's the comparison I've been thinking of too. Let's hope it turns out the same way.

KenBerryGrab
08-25-2009, 05:51 PM
...and nobody can ever take it away from me.

"The way you wear your hat
The way you sip your tea
The memory of all that...."

Foulke You
08-25-2009, 06:02 PM
I agree. This is far more similar to 2008 than 2005. However, the 2008 team at least went on a couple 7 and 8 game winning streaks during the year and didn't make quite as many mental mistakes. This 2009 White Sox team has yet to really catch fire for a sustained stretch and here we are stumbling our way into September still at the .500 mark. The AL Central is so bad this year that one sustained hot streak by either of the three teams in contention could seal the deal.

captain54
08-25-2009, 06:06 PM
All of that being said, there are a few similiarities between 2005 and 2009 ..

the 2005 offense had, at times, some serious problems the Sox were at or near the top in HR's but, the middle of the pack in BA...the 2005 Sox finished with only one hitter anywhere near .300..Podsednick at .290

the 2009 offense, also near the middle of the pack in BA...one hitter, AJ, above .300 so far.

2005 Pitching...near the top in ERA
2009 Pitching...near the top in ERA

However, this is where the similiarities end.....the 2009 Sox have as many errors now as the 2005 team had to end the season...which in my mind, makes this season feel totally different than 2005 or 2008, for that matter

kufram
08-25-2009, 06:57 PM
I remember that August very well. Jay Mariotti was having a great time. Of course 2005 and 2009 are not similar. What was our record in 1 run games... a lot won to very few lost. So many games won by a Podsednik hit or walk, an Iguchi move-him-over sac or grounder, and a Konerko base hit. The 2009 club loses 1 run games by 4 runs.

That being said, clearly this team CAN win baseball games. The talent is there and the balance is there but they are not performing. I'm not saying they will go on a tear, but I'm not writing them off. They really just need to come together as a team and refuse to lose. Easily said.

Imagine being in the Tigers shoes... ahead by 2-5 games all year but unable to put it away even tho the competition keeps trying to give it to you. Imagine if the Sox can put together a few wins in the toughest part of the schedule and play the teams they need to beat on even terms at the end of the season. THAT just might bring a team together. Can't help it... I hope so.

SI1020
08-25-2009, 08:26 PM
This year's team doesn't remotely remind me of 2005. Yes, that year's team had a very rough couple of months. From July 19 to September 22 they went 29-32. Still, you knew that they could bust out of it any time. They did, finishing the season 8-2 and then going a very impressive 11-1 in the post season. I will be happy if this team ends up the season above .500. It's just not a playoff worthy team. Next year hopefully will be a different story.

hi im skot
08-25-2009, 08:28 PM

Yep.

Close the thread.

Jurr
08-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Yep.

Close the thread.

Pretty much. The 2005 team could win a game from starter 1-5.

That team kept themselves in games with defense instead of giving numerous ones away.

The team had a ton of veterans with something to prove. There weren't a lot of big contracts to hang one's hat on.

That 2005 team was the ultimate example of a perfect storm. Guys came together at just the right time.

The offense didn't execute all the time, just at the right time.

Jurr
08-25-2009, 10:06 PM
This is so much better as far as frustration goes.

In 2005, we had never seen it done, and it ratcheted up the intensity.
Given the team we saw win, we have an idea how it works now.
We also know that the 2009 Sox came nowhere close to that. Actually, it's about time to put the epitaph on this season. Baseball Prospectus will be proven correct yet again. 77-79 wins is perfect.

Tragg
08-25-2009, 10:15 PM
This is nothing close to 2005.

CLR01
08-25-2009, 10:37 PM
In 2009, we are in second place, slowly sinking towards 3rd place.

Perhaps in 2009 they'll rally in the last 2 1/2 weeks to lock up second place.

All of that being said, there are a few similiarities between 2005 and 2009 ..

the 2005 offense had, at times, some serious problems the Sox were at or near the top in HR's but, the middle of the pack in BA...the 2005 Sox finished with only one hitter anywhere near .300..Podsednick at .290

the 2009 offense, also near the middle of the pack in BA...one hitter, AJ, above .300 so far.

2005 Pitching...near the top in ERA
2009 Pitching...near the top in ERA

However, this is where the similiarities end.....the 2009 Sox have as many errors now as the 2005 team had to end the season...which in my mind, makes this season feel totally different than 2005 or 2008, for that matter

2005 Sox had B. Anderson in Sept. while 2009 Sox do not.

Sargeant79
08-26-2009, 11:38 AM

Actually, this feels a lot more like 2004 than anything. IIRC, we were in or tied for first place as late as July 26th when Torii Hunter ran over Jamie Burke (I was at that game), only to finish in 2nd place with 83 wins. Right now, it feels like that is exactly where this season is heading.

On the other hand, this was also the year when Kenny made two moves that were designed to help for the stretch run as well as the future in acquiring Freddy and Jose. You can easily point out the parallel here with the Peavy and Rios acquisitions. As it turns out, the trades in 2004 didn't help out much for that year, but we all know how the next season turned out.

asindc
08-26-2009, 11:40 AM
This team has won a World Series in my lifetime. I will never get as frustrated or heartbroken with this team as I did before 2005, because I at least have that in the bank and nobody can ever take it away from me.

In 2005 (and 2003, and 2000, etc) I got far more frustrated because I thought that a rare chance for them to win it during my natural lifespan was being wasted.

OK, what did you do with Homefish? :smile:

asindc
08-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Despite any frustration I might have felt late in 2005, I never lost faith. Part of it was because Cleveland would not play .750 ball right up to the end of the season and, secondly, the Sox never relinquished first place. I always felt that the 2005 team would win a game they absolutely had to (Joe! Crede!), whereas this year's team...:(:

downstairs
08-26-2009, 11:48 AM
No way, shape or form the same. In 2005 we went on an epic tear from day one, had one of the best starts/records in MLB history (not saying the team ranks up there- but our lead and amount of wins was epic).

Then we cooled down a little (like every team does). Unfortunately, Cleveland got hot to an epic level themselves at the same time.

It was a good, honest race that year. Sure, some mistakes were made- but neither Cleveland nor the Sox were crapping themselves. They were both playing awesome baseball- at different times.

This year is the opposite. Detroit and the Sox are both horrible teams, not deserving of the playoffs. Some one was going to lose it, and it turns out to be the Sox.

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-26-2009, 11:53 AM
I feel that all the Sox need to do is go on a mini winning streak, nothing big, just 4 or 5 wins back-to-back. The only problem with this line of thinking is that this is the exact same thing the Kitties will have to do as well.

Speaking of, when was the last time we had a 4 or 5 game win streak?

ike from nj
08-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Actually, this feels a lot more like 2004 than anything. IIRC, we were in or tied for first place as late as July 26th when Torii Hunter ran over Jamie Burke (I was at that game), only to finish in 2nd place with 83 wins. Right now, it feels like that is exactly where this season is heading.

On the other hand, this was also the year when Kenny made two moves that were designed to help for the stretch run as well as the future in acquiring Freddy and Jose. You can easily point out the parallel here with the Peavy and Rios acquisitions. As it turns out, the trades in 2004 didn't help out much for that year, but we all know how the next season turned out.
I agree...more like 2004. The Twins were a better fundamental team than the Sox that year. The Sox of 2009 are also playing fundmentally weak baseball. They haven't had a real hot streak and it is because of their weak fundamentals and poor bullpen.

jamteh
08-26-2009, 12:30 PM
The 2005 Sox were great in one-run games. The 2009 team is subpar in that regard.

PKalltheway
08-26-2009, 12:35 PM
I agree...more like 2004. The Twins were a better fundamental team than the Sox that year. The Sox of 2009 are also playing fundmentally weak baseball. They haven't had a real hot streak and it is because of their weak fundamentals and poor bullpen.

I respectfully disagree. I don't think this is anything like 2004. That year, the two best hitters on the team (Maggs and the Big Hurt) went down with injuries that year. Paulie picked up the slack after those two went down, but it was too little, too late. It was just too much to ask for the Sox to make the playoffs despite their two best hitters being gone.

I believe 2009 stands on its own.

dickallen15
08-26-2009, 12:44 PM
This isn't anything like those years. The Sox are an average at best team that plays poor defense. Their only saving grace is the AL Central division. Any other division and 2010 would be the topic of conversion. This is an average at best team that may make the playoffs because that's all there is in the ALC, and once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen. It also wouldn't surprise me if they finished significantly below .500.

ike from nj
08-26-2009, 01:50 PM
I respectfully disagree. I don't think this is anything like 2004. That year, the two best hitters on the team (Maggs and the Big Hurt) went down with injuries that year. Paulie picked up the slack after those two went down, but it was too little, too late. It was just too much to ask for the Sox to make the playoffs despite their two best hitters being gone.

I believe 2009 stands on its own.
that's true...the injuries to thomas and ordonez were key but the weak fundamentals/poor defense were similar and led to the whole trade lee for pods and ozzie ball stuff in 2005.

manders_01
08-26-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm getting deja vu mostly from the '06 season: about this time they were climbing back into 2nd and I thought they could continue on the first, never losing faith. Here it is '09, they sit in second and I still have faith they can end the season in first. :praying:

wilburaga
08-26-2009, 02:39 PM
If this 2009 squad reminds me of any past year's team it's 1991.

I remember feeling pretty good on August 11th of that year. The Sox had just won their seventh in a row to pull within a game of division leader Minnesota. And they had done it on the strength of a Wilson Alvarez no-hitter. Things were looking up. (Much like I felt after #56's perfect game pulled us even with the Tigers.)

Well, the 1991 Sox proceeded to lose 15 of its next 17 games, playing itself out of contention. I hope this is not what's happening as I type.

W

Domeshot17
08-26-2009, 02:52 PM
2005 team has a sense of urgency for most of the year. The didn't just want to win, they did win.

2009 is a team that hopes to win. A team that hopes one of its sluggers belts 2 homers, one of its front line pitchers throws a good, game, one of its highly paid relievers shuts um down late. However, no one on this team has been willing to step it up and take over, carry it through a stretch.

The thing that sucks is 2009 we do have a decent amount of talent, but the big problem is most of that talent is playing subpar and the expected holes have been huge holes. This team could win 10 in a row and take over first place, and lose 10 in row and fall out of the race, and I don't think anyone would be entirely shocked with either.