PDA

View Full Version : "Be more like the Sox."

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-25-2009, 11:43 AM
Anyone have a laugh at the back page of the Sun-Times today?

rowand33
08-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Care to give any context to this?

JohnnyInnsbrook
08-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Does it have anything to do with this http://www.suntimes.com/sports/slezak/1732686,CST-SPT-carol25.article?

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Care to give any context to this?

The back page of the Sun-Times here in Chicago reads: "Carol Slezak to new Cubs owners - Be more like the Sox"

Apparently the Sox are a model for sucess in the eyes of one local writer. I just found it funny after getting home from morning class and then I see that on the back page.

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Does it have anything to do with this http://www.suntimes.com/sports/slezak/1732686,CST-SPT-carol25.article?

Yes sir! I get the actual paper copy, so those reading the article online might be a bit confused.

InKennyWeTrust
08-25-2009, 12:09 PM
It was a good start, but as she went into the farm systems, I became skepitical. It seems that getting Beckham has made her forget about the other years. I mean, he's the only position starter to come from our system, and Buehrle is the only starting pitcher.

Now, had she looked at turning the crud signings into quality trades, which does make up a majority of the roster, then she'd be spot on.

Dibbs
08-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Slezak is a fool.

DumpJerry
08-25-2009, 01:10 PM
It seems that getting Beckham has made her forget about the other years. I mean, he's the only position starter to come from our system, and Buehrle is the only starting pitcher.
Ever hear of Chris Getz (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/getzch01.shtml)?

I do agree with her, for once. The Cubs have blindly put their team together with no long range vision.

spawn
08-25-2009, 02:27 PM
I do agree with her, for once. The Cubs have blindly put their team together with no long range vision.
That's about the only thing she got right. As IKWT said, as soon as she started talking about the farm systems, she lost me. The White Sox system hasn't exactly produced All-Stars recently. She mentions Corey Patterson and Felix Pie, but ignores Jerry Owens and Brian Anderson. Sure, they're starting to turn that around, but it hasn't blossomed just yet. She just needs to stop writing articles about the White Sox, because she has absolutely no clue as to what she's talking about.

InKennyWeTrust
08-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Ever hear of Chris Getz (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/getzch01.shtml)?

I suppose I ment quality starter. I'm not completely sold on him, currently, but we'll see!

DumpJerry
08-27-2009, 06:37 AM
I suppose I ment quality starter. I'm not completely sold on him, currently, but we'll see!
Why not? Before going on the DL, he led the AL rookies in many offensive categories where Gordon didn't.

Also, for a rookie, he's pretty darn good.

Dibbs
08-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Why not? Before going on the DL, he led the AL rookies in many offensive categories where Gordon didn't.

Also, for a rookie, he's pretty darn good.

I like Getz, but he will never be a star. He turns 26 on Sunday. He had many more at bats than other rookies, and that is why he was leading in certain categories. Plus, this is a very weak rookie class.

kobo
08-27-2009, 10:10 AM
I like Getz, but he will never be a star. He turns 26 on Sunday. He had many more at bats than other rookies, and that is why he was leading in certain categories. Plus, this is a very weak rookie class.
Who cares if he's a star? As long as he can play quality defense and be a solid contributor on offense then I look forward to watching him play in a white Sox uniform. Not every player needs to be a star to be successful.

Dibbs
08-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Who cares if he's a star? As long as he can play quality defense and be a solid contributor on offense then I look forward to watching him play in a white Sox uniform. Not every player needs to be a star to be successful.

I should have phrase it this way. I don't think he is an everyday player on a good team.

oeo
08-27-2009, 01:37 PM
I should have phrase it this way. I don't think he is an everyday player on a good team.

So you have to be a star to be an everyday player on a "good" team?

cws05champ
08-27-2009, 02:34 PM
That's about the only thing she got right. As IKWT said, as soon as she started talking about the farm systems, she lost me. The White Sox system hasn't exactly produced All-Stars recently. She mentions Corey Patterson and Felix Pie, but ignores Jerry Owens and Brian Anderson. Sure, they're starting to turn that around, but it hasn't blossomed just yet. She just needs to stop writing articles about the White Sox, because she has absolutely no clue as to what she's talking about.
No we haven't had a lot of homegrown All-stars, but when we have high top ten picks we haven't missed on them though. The Cubs have repeatedly missed on high picks. Vitters the jury is till out, but most other picks have not worked out. Look at the last 5 times the Sox had a top 10 pick:
Jack McDowell, Robin Ventura, Frank Thomas, Alex Fernandez and Gordon Beckham.
The Cubs: KKKKorey Patterson, Luis Montanez, Mark Prior, Ryan Harvey, Josh Vitters

And what do you consider homegrown? When the Yankees sign a high profile Latin prospect and he spends 2 years in the minors, he's from their system. But the Sox sign Alexei and he makes the jump straight to the majors and he is not from the system? Danks spent no time in the minors with the Sox, but he was not in the majors before getting traded from Texas either. And at the time he wasn't expected to be in the majors right away.

I would consider anyone "from our system" if they were acquired before they made their ML debut. Alexei, Beckham, Danks, Getz, Buehrle. And soon to be coming Viciedo, Hudson, Nunez, Link and Danks.