PDA

View Full Version : Kaat on the Sox

KyWhiSoxFan
08-25-2009, 12:13 PM
I met Jim Kaat at a dinner in Saratoga Springs on Saturday night. Since he will be doing the game tonight between the White Sox and Red Sox on the MLB network (he does 10 games a year for MLB), I had to ask him what he thought of the White Sox's chances this year.

"They sure kick the ball around a lot," he said. "You have to be able to catch the ball."

He then said that the Sox would be all right if Floyd could start every game, though he quickly added, I'm sure diplomatically, that Danks and Floyd are pretty good. I told him the way the rotation is setting up, and being so thin at the 4 and 5 spots, that the best thing that can happen for the Sox is three weeks of rain so they can get Peavy ready. He just laughed at that.

I don't get MLB network (it's not available here), but it would be interesting to hear what he says about the White Sox during the broadcast, especially with Freddy pitching.

Kaat won a Gold Glove a record 16 straight years, so you know he appreciates the importance of defense.

Lip Man 1
08-25-2009, 12:24 PM
Jimmy is one of the most astute baseball guys anywhere. His knowledge of the game is almost unmatched since he's been around it for 50 years and he is articulate.

Lip

FoulkeFan
08-25-2009, 12:56 PM
"They sure kick the ball around a lot," he said. "You have to be able to catch the ball."

He then said that the Sox would be all right if Floyd could start every game, though he quickly added, I'm sure diplomatically, that Danks and Floyd are pretty good.

So other than crappy defense and bad pitching, the Sox are in good shape!

soxinem1
08-25-2009, 01:11 PM
I met Jim Kaat at a dinner in Saratoga Springs on Saturday night. Since he will be doing the game tonight between the White Sox and Red Sox on the MLB network (he does 10 games a year for MLB), I had to ask him what he thought of the White Sox's chances this year.

He then said that the Sox would be all right if Floyd could start every game, though he quickly added, I'm sure diplomatically, that Danks and Floyd are pretty good. I told him the way the rotation is setting up, and being so thin at the 4 and 5 spots, that the best thing that can happen for the Sox is three weeks of rain so they can get Peavy ready. He just laughed at that.

I don't get MLB network (it's not available here), but it would be interesting to hear what he says about the White Sox during the broadcast, especially with Freddy pitching.

Kaat won a Gold Glove a record 16 straight years, so you know he appreciates the importance of defense.

Sounds like he's been watching the same team we have.

I like MLB Network because all of the commentators do not have some slanted opinion about their former teams or regional bias like ESPN does.

All have been objective, non-biased, and like Kaat, thought-out in their assessments.

rocky biddle
08-25-2009, 07:14 PM

Other than that, how'd you like the play Mrs. Lincoln?

Craig Grebeck
08-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Whatever. This team's good enough to win the series!

fram40
08-25-2009, 08:10 PM
I have not seen Jim Kaat on MLB network but the analysts I have seen are really good. I really like Harold Reynolds and Dan Plesac.

What a godsend that I no longer have to watch ESPN. ever

Waysouthsider
08-25-2009, 08:30 PM
So Jim didn't mention Mark, eh? I know he's in a slump, but seriously....?

Who'd have thought the defense could be this bad, though?

pudge
08-26-2009, 03:49 AM

Sadly, they are not.

Coolpapa
08-26-2009, 05:04 AM
I have not seen Jim Kaat on MLB network but the analysts I have seen are really good. I really like Harold Reynolds and Dan Plesac.

What a godsend that I no longer have to watch ESPN. everWith the advent of specialized networks espn sooner or later will feel the advertising pinch and stop groveling to the advertisers big markets. I HATE ESPN

PennStater98r
08-26-2009, 09:54 AM

Don't forget Hitting with RISP with less than two outs...

Bucky F. Dent
08-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Bad defense and the back of the rotation killed this team, IMO.

The positives to be taken from '09 are that we acquired Peavy & Rios and will have them available next year, and we got Beckham a hell of alot of time with the major league club, and he handled it like a pro!

Lip Man 1
08-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Grebeck says: "This team's good enough to win the series!"

With a 63-63 record can you produce evidence supporting your claim?

:?:

Lip

Craig Grebeck
08-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Grebeck says: "This team's good enough to win the series!"

With a 63-63 record can you produce evidence supporting your claim?

:?:

Lip
Jabrch told me.

LITTLE NELL
08-26-2009, 12:59 PM
These guys could'nt do better than .500 at home against 2 last place clubs and they're going to win the series?

Craig Grebeck
08-26-2009, 01:00 PM
These guys could'nt do better than .500 at home against 2 last place clubs and they're going to win the series?
I will point you to the post above yours.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Bad defense and the back of the rotation killed this team, IMO.

The positives to be taken from '09 are that we acquired Peavy & Rios and will have them available next year, and we got Beckham a hell of alot of time with the major league club, and he handled it like a pro!

As frustrating as this year is, I think one can be pretty optimistic about next year with the addition of Peavy. A number one starter changes a lot of the dynamics and takes some of the pressure off the other starters. This team also needs a leader and Peavy is a tremendous competitor. I hope he can influence the team in that regard.

Peavy-Floyd-Danks-Buehrle is a good start toward straightening out their problems. A lot better defense would help, too.

RCWHITESOX
08-26-2009, 01:15 PM
As frustrating as this year is, I think one can be pretty optimistic about next year with the addition of Peavy. A number one starter changes a lot of the dynamics and takes some of the pressure off the other starters. This team also needs a leader and Peavy is a tremendous competitor. I hope he can influence the team in that regard.

Peavy-Floyd-Danks-Buehrle is a good start toward straightening out their problems. A lot better defense would help, too.

I think the Sox should switch Beckhman back to his regular postion of SS and move Ramirez to CF because he is way to erratic at SS. If they don't resign Dye they can move Rios to RF. They should try and get Figgins and put him at third base. That solves the lead off spot and improves their defense. If they can't get that done than resign Pod's and DH him and not resign Thome, and make a move to fill 3B. This team needs to be retooled defensively.