PDA

View Full Version : Giambi gets another chance, signs with Rockies

thomas35forever
08-25-2009, 09:46 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jskz4sF4HoqmZYnvlr_wZUA28GRQ
It's a minor-league deal, but he could be back in the bigs within a week. Do the Rockies really need this when they're hot and within striking distance of LA?:scratch:

asboog
08-25-2009, 09:49 AM
seems kind of pointless to me. I wouldn't play him over Helton.

gobears1987
08-25-2009, 09:51 AM
DH when they make the World Series.

HomeFish
08-25-2009, 03:04 PM
A class act by the Rockies to give a deserving guy one last shot at a WS ring.

doublem23
08-25-2009, 03:18 PM
His good luck jock will push them over the edge.

Shoeless_Jeff
08-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Well, I was rooting for the Rockies.

TDog
08-27-2009, 05:14 PM
I saw a lot of Giambi jerseys when the Sox were in Oakland, after he was cut from the team. He continues to be very popular in Northern California.

The A's signed Giambi after refusing to re-sign Frank Thomas. Maybe they were hoping they could trade Giambi (and last year Thomas) and get prospects, but both were so hurt and so underperforming that they couldn't do what they did with their Orlando Cabrera offseason signing.

I don't think Giambi has anything left.

Boondock Saint
08-27-2009, 05:37 PM
I saw a lot of Giambi jerseys when the Sox were in Oakland, after he was cut from the team. He continues to be very popular in Northern California.

The A's signed Giambi after refusing to re-sign Frank Thomas. Maybe they were hoping they could trade Giambi (and last year Thomas) and get prospects, but both were so hurt and so underperforming that they couldn't do what they did with their Orlando Cabrera offseason signing.

Don't be so naive, I'm sure he knows a doctor that has the hookup. But the testing for it has gotten more strict.

chisoxfanatic
08-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Giambi could thrive while playing in the NL, and especially at Coors Field. This is a good situation for him to be placed in.

soxfanreggie
08-27-2009, 11:04 PM
At this point in the season, it's worth a shot. He has the potential to be a very big stick in their line-up, but I doubt that comes to fruition. He may be around a team next year, but I don't see him playing much of 2010 and any in 2011 or later.

TDog
08-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Giambi could thrive while playing in the NL, and especially at Coors Field. This is a good situation for him to be placed in.

I'm sure he'll be on the September roster, but having seen him play in Oakland this season, I'm not sure if he will be impressive enough to make the postseason roster, if the Rockies beat out the Dodgers and or Giants.

Giambi has the hitter's disadvantage of not knowing the pitchers. The fact that he is facing National League pitchers probably won't help him much. I don't expect him to consistently hit AAA pitchers.

hawkjt
08-28-2009, 08:20 AM
This sucks, I do like the Rockies, and dislike streoid boy.
Hope he never makes it up.
They hit the heck outta the ball, why bring this loser aboard?
Guess since the testing is improved, he needs all the artificial help available...ie..thin air in Denver,NL pitching...what's left? oh yea, the syringe.