PDA

View Full Version : Cowley reports that Contreras will go to the bullpen

JimmyJoe
08-24-2009, 10:21 PM
On the post game show.......Cowley said that Ozzie sent Contreras to the bullpen and probably be released....

I'm sure there will be more to follow.

WhiteSox1989
08-24-2009, 10:24 PM
As I said the in the game thread, I admire Jose's work ethic, and I think he's a good person. However, he is not good.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in the bullpen, though.

GoGoCrede
08-24-2009, 10:24 PM
Also per Cowley:

Coop said Peavy will be the starter on Saturday if he says he's ready. They will know more tomorrow.

WhiteSox5187
08-24-2009, 10:25 PM
I know that he hasn't been that good, but I have so much respect for him for trying to rush back and help this team. He was really good for awhile too. He just gets rattled too easily. Maybe he can help in the bullpen.

doublem23
08-24-2009, 10:25 PM
If Cowley is the source, The Count will be starting Saturday.

GoGoCrede
08-24-2009, 10:26 PM
I know that he hasn't been that good, but I have so much respect for him for trying to rush back and help this team. He was really good for awhile too. He just gets rattled too easily. Maybe he can help in the bullpen.

Amen. I love the guy to death and admire how hard he's worked. But the team can't take much more of this. I hope he's still able to contribute in some way and this doesn't bring him down too much, though it probably will.

GoGoCrede
08-24-2009, 10:27 PM

Yeah, I know. This was the guy who said Homer Bailey was coming to the Sox, after all. :tongue: Take it for what it's worth.

voodoochile
08-24-2009, 10:29 PM
If Peavy's not ready, they should go with DJ and let Contreras move to long relief.

It's Time
08-24-2009, 11:06 PM
Ozzie has seen enough.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-25-white-sox-red-sox-chicagoaug25,0,5813374.story

voodoochile
08-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Ozzie has seen enough.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-25-white-sox-red-sox-chicagoaug25,0,5813374.story

I can understand the confusion, after all, it was the 8th thread down...

Just teasing...:tongue:

It's Time
08-24-2009, 11:08 PM
I can understand the confusion, after all, it was the 8th thread down...

Just teasing...:tongue:

I need better confirmation than Cowley, Voodoo. :wink:

chisoxfanatic
08-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Also per Cowley:

Coop said Peavy will be the starter on Saturday if he says he's ready. They will know more tomorrow.
If he started on Saturday, then wouldn't his next start be against the Cubs? I thought Ozzie said he wouldn't start against the Cubs.

DSpivack
08-24-2009, 11:09 PM

Ahh Ahh Ahh!

ChiSoxGirl
08-24-2009, 11:11 PM

Ahh Ahh Ahh!

Remember the guy who had the Count in his signature back in 2005? The Count would keep track of Sox victories. I think the poster was mjharrison72.

gobears1987
08-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Remember the guy who had the Count in his signature back in 2005? The Count would keep track of Sox victories. I think the poster was mjharrison72.
It was Evman5. He was a Jose Contreras fan before Jose was on the Sox.

WhiteSox5187
08-24-2009, 11:51 PM
I might be the only one, but I feel so bad for Jose. He is really taking this well and pointing all the blame exactly where it belongs, with himself. This can't be any fun for the guy. It has to suck getting shelled every time you go out there. I really hope he can be succesful out of the pen.

GoGoCrede
08-24-2009, 11:54 PM
I might be the only one, but I feel so bad for Jose. He is really taking this well and pointing all the blame exactly where it belongs, with himself. This can't be any fun for the guy. It has to suck getting shelled every time you go out there. I really hope he can be succesful out of the pen.

Agreed 100 percent. It can't feel good going out there knowing you will likely get rocked and booed off the field by your home fans. But he takes it like a man and goes out there every night. I don't think anyone can claim he hasn't tried. The worse he does, the more I love him (It's odd, I know).

I really hope he can contribute for us down the stretch in the pen. I'm a softy when it comes to Jose.

WhiteSox5187
08-25-2009, 12:01 AM
Agreed 100 percent. It can't feel good going out there knowing you will likely get rocked and booed off the field by your home fans. But he takes it like a man and goes out there every night. I don't think anyone can claim he hasn't tried. The worse he does, the more I love him (It's odd, I know).

I really hope he can contribute for us down the stretch in the pen. I'm a softy when it comes to Jose.

Really I think I'm just a sucker for anyone who tries. Even though he was god awful I loved Billy Koch for just saying "yea, I sucked. That's what happened. We lost because I sucked." I like guys who own up to failures and take responsibility for their actions. Jose does that. Now if he were Jamie Navarro and bitching about run support, or if he pulled a Javy and said "I really don't care, I'm rich anyways" I'd boo him.

hawkjt
08-25-2009, 12:12 AM
Jose had a very thin margin for error and when he got into extended innnings like this one, I think fatigue got to him on that slow roller from Popi...thin line..I think if he just lets PK field that, he might have settled in and won this game but alas...time to move him to the bullpen and try someone else...just too few games left to mess around.

Jeckle2000
08-25-2009, 01:02 AM
As I just said in the other thread this is a sad day for me...

Jose will always be remembered for his huge 2005 heroics leading the White Sox to that World Series title that I never thought I'd see.

I won't remember him for this!

southside rocks
08-25-2009, 06:36 AM

I agree. Jose is a classy guy, I want things to work out for him.

asindc
08-25-2009, 08:09 AM

I also feel bad for the guy and I have a lot of respect for him. He has never shied away from responsibility, tried very hard to earn his money, and even suggested his own demotion to get back on track. But I can't get past the fact that the bigger the moment this year, the shakier his play gets. The team can't afford that anymore. It's a shame, but it's just that simple.

WhiteSox1989
08-25-2009, 08:29 AM
I feel bad as well. Especially the one game where he was getting booed. I would never boo him, he worked his ass off. But he is bad. I don't want to see him start.

Hopefully he pitches well out of the bullpen.

Save McCuddy's
08-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Jose will always be among the few players without which we would not have our blessed memories of 2005. For that I will always cherish him.

His current situation is sad. Is it possible that he goes 6 and gets a win last night if only he doesn't boot the ground ball with 2 outs in the 3rd? And if so, does he stay in the rotation for another start and potentially more? I truly feel bad for him if that bad break in of itself was his final nail.

palehozenychicty
08-25-2009, 11:09 AM
I feel for Jose, as many do. He hasn't been consistently good for a long, long time in my mind, and the team needed to move on.

KenBerryGrab
08-25-2009, 11:45 AM
If that was his last start for the Sox, I am very glad to have attended his last home start, that gem on Wednesday against the Royals.

You will always have a spot in our hearts, Bronze Titan.

Hitmen77
08-25-2009, 12:37 PM
I agree with others here. I feel bad for Jose. Not only was he key to us winning the World Series in 05, but he made a real gutsy comeback from an injury that was supposed to keep him out until mid-2009. He is such a competitor and team player that no doubt he feels awful about his recent performance.

That being said, I'm glad his contract with the Sox is up, that the team will no longer be saddled with paying him $10 million/yr, and that the Sox next year won't be penciling him in to our rotation. Maybe he can catch on with some NL team and be serviceable somewhere in 2010.

Bob G
08-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Jose had a very thin margin for error and when he got into extended innnings like this one, I think fatigue got to him on that slow roller from Popi...thin line..I think if he just lets PK field that, he might have settled in and won this game but alas...time to move him to the bullpen and try someone else...just too few games left to mess around.

I've seen the replay several times and it doesn't appear PK made any effort to call Jose off - I don't understand why. This play was so strange as 99.9% of the time the first basemen fields the ball. I agree we probably win the game if PK makes the play and Jose probably stays in the rotation.

oeo
08-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I know. This was the guy who said Homer Bailey was coming to the Sox, after all. :tongue: Take it for what it's worth.

Even worse, Uribe was released at least three times last year.

asindc
08-25-2009, 02:19 PM
I've seen the replay several times and it doesn't appear PK made any effort to call Jose off - I don't understand why. This play was so strange as 99.9% of the time the first basemen fields the ball. I agree we probably win the game if PK makes the play and Jose probably stays in the rotation.

I think it's because the Sox were in a modified shift with Ortiz up and the bases loaded. PK was probably playing farther back than usual on that play, otherwise he might have gotten there before Jose. I don't think he called him off because he wanted to make sure the ball did not roll foul, which was Jose's reason for hurrying. I'm just disappointed/frustrated that Jose did not barehand the ball.

hawkjt
08-25-2009, 02:19 PM

I agree their might have been a momentary indecision on PK's part...it was very tricky..if he calls Jose off, and it does not get to PK in front of Popi, same diasaster..if Jose just picks it up carefully and tags Popi,routine...but sadly,nothing is routine for our aging bronze titan on defense.

Crestani
08-25-2009, 02:27 PM

I'm glad you cleared that up for me, I thought he was talking about Count Montefusco!:wink:

Tragg
08-25-2009, 05:25 PM
DJ's been a good relief pitcher; leave him there.
What about that guy who was called up to pitch 1 game, pitched well, and was sent down.

Stoky44
08-25-2009, 05:28 PM
DJ's been a good relief pitcher; leave him there.
What about that guy who was called up to pitch 1 game, pitched well, and was sent down.

He pitched in a second game and was not that good...haha

If you mean Carlos Torres.