PDA

View Full Version : Just How Good Is Beckham?

Waysouthsider
08-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Just looked today...his VORP (value over replacement player) is near the top of the rookie position player charts at a whopping 16.6.....Nix is around 6.5.

Daver
08-24-2009, 10:38 PM
Just looked today...his VORP (value over replacement player) is near the top of the rookie position player charts at a whopping 16.6.....Nix is around 6.5.

VORP?

I can throw meaningless numbers too, his VOJF is that he doesn't strike out as much.

Boondock Saint
08-24-2009, 10:38 PM

He's very good, especially for a rookie. But VORP and those "stats" make me want to cry.

doublem23
08-24-2009, 10:39 PM
VORP is a stupid, worthless stat until they release the formula for figuring it out.

Daver
08-24-2009, 10:40 PM
VORP is a stupid, worthless stat until they release the formula for figuring it out.

It's stupid and worthless if they do.

MeteorsSox4367
He's very good, especially for a rookie. But VORP and those "stats" make me want to cry.

Thank you. Those "stats" make me want to puke.

DumpJerry
That is fantastic to hear. I was wondering if he was good or a wasted draft pick.

cws05champ
08-24-2009, 10:47 PM
Ohhh Goodie, another thread on how good Beckham is. Don't get me wrong, I like Bacon as much as the next guy....but all these different threads about him being "The Natural" are getting a little tired.

DumpJerry
08-24-2009, 10:49 PM
Ohhh Goodie, another thread on how good Beckham is. Don't get me wrong, I like Bacon as much as the next guy....but all these different threads about him being "The Natural" are getting a little tired.
Ok. Fair enough. Go start one on how good Lillilbridge is.

Huisj
08-24-2009, 10:54 PM
That is fantastic to hear. I was wondering if he was good or a wasted draft pick.

It is always good to see complicated statistics confirm what reality has show in actual games on a field.

doublem23
08-24-2009, 11:00 PM
It's stupid and worthless if they do.

Probably, but at least then people could analyze it and see what they're basing their evaluation on. Right now, it's nothing more than the guys at BP telling you "we feel this player is good, but we won't explain why." Essentially, it's the exact same thing those guys don't like about old-time scouts.

cws05champ
08-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Ok. Fair enough. Go start one on how good Lillilbridge is.

That would be a short thread....2 posts maybe.

TheOldRoman
08-25-2009, 12:19 AM
He is really good, but this time last year Alexei and Carlos were having incredible seasons. Carlos has been hurt this year, he has hasn't been teh same even when healthy. Let's see how Beckham adjusts after pitchers adjust to him.

The biggest thing he has to overcome is the inevitable "Gordon was good last year, but we saw some things in his swing that we are working on" quote from Walker next spring, followed by more power and a plummeting batting average.

Waysouthsider
08-25-2009, 01:43 AM
Here's a link with a pretty good description of VORP....helps to quantify what folks observe and provide some objective baseline for comparing the relative merits of different players. A little measurement never hurts....I've just been surprised at how seriously well he is doing and the data show it...

http://www.stathead.com/bbeng/woolner/vorpdescnew.htm

Since you asked...Lillibridge's VORP is -7.3...making him significantly worse than what you'd expect from an average replacement player just picked up from AAA.

And Just for fun: Brian Anderson -6.0

AJ has the highest ranking on the team right now at 26.6....providing a little quantitative validation of the discussion here about just how good he is last week.

Didn't mean to start a dispute between qualitative and quantitative measures....just thought it was cool how the numbers support what the kid is doing....:redface:

southside rocks
08-25-2009, 07:35 AM
VORP?

I can throw meaningless numbers too, his VOJF is that he doesn't strike out as much.

He even has a pretty good VOJC, for a rookie. :D:

Jogurt
08-25-2009, 11:39 AM
He even has a pretty good VOJC, for a rookie. :D:
Value Over Joe Crede?

gobears1987
08-25-2009, 11:44 AM
Value Over Joe Crede?I was wondering what VOJC was, and I guess that one makes sense. Bonus points are given as his agent isn't the devil.

kitekrazy
08-25-2009, 11:54 AM

We shall see if he avoids the sophomore slump.

hawkjt
08-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Funny interview today on the Score...B & B were interviewing Gordon,and then two guys from ''The Outfield'' called in and they had a 5 way interview, Gordon was really a fan,and the band guys said they have been watching Gordon on You-tube lately...

Band guys were funny,and so was Gordon.
Could have been awkward but was actually pretty good..Beckham is very comfortable in any kind of interview clearly...this kid just has it. Two english dudes that end up promise to visit the Cell next time they are in america. English guys...spinks and lewis? did they box years ago:D:
Boers said heard that Gordon had gone out on the town with Jay Cutler and Greg Olsen, but forgot to ask Gordo about it....whoa, impressive wingmen on that crew.