adidas773
08-24-2009, 08:27 PM
that was just brutal to watch

kevingrt
08-24-2009, 08:27 PM
Horrendous.

ChicagoG19
08-24-2009, 08:28 PM
This has to be jose's last start in Sox uniform.

GlassSox
08-24-2009, 08:28 PM
Awful, time to change channels.:angry:

esbrechtel
08-24-2009, 08:29 PM
it wouldn't surprise me at all....

When does the appreciation thread come out?

ChiSoxFan81
Absolutely disgusting.

tdwiek
Wow, that was great!! One run on an error by Jose. One run on a bases-loaded walk by Jose. One run on a wild pitch by Jose. Three runs on a homerun dished up by.... you ready..... any guesses...... yours truly......... JOSE!!!!

Why is he still in our starting lineup? Didn't he just turn 56 years old? I guess I can answer my own question: we don't have anyone else. It's just frustrating.

Britt Burns
08-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Yikes. No one appreciates all that Jose has done for the Sox over the years--he handled his demotion this season a million times more professionally than a certain no-hitting, even worse fielding 3rd baseman I could mention--but it is time for Jose to go.

adidas773
08-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Brutal is not the word thinking this team should be able to pick up the ball!!!!

Brian26
That botched play at first on Ortiz' dribbler is a microcosm of the season.

Boondock Saint
He just needs a couple more weeks to get his **** together yet again. Don't all major league pitchers do this?

Boondock Saint
08-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Yikes. No one appreciates all that Jose has done for the Sox over the years--he handled his demotion this season a million times more professionally than a certain no-hitting, even worse fielding 3rd baseman I could mention--but it is time for Jose to go.

Bull****. I love him for '05 and '06. But he's throwing garbage now, and he needs to be replaced. Permanently.

BubblingCalderon
08-24-2009, 08:35 PM
He should be in the pen. If you look at his last few starts he doesn't give up runs in the 1st couple innings. I think he could be effective in the pen in a mop up role. Especially if we are going to be sending Freddy and a Minor league 5th starter out there. A couple mop up guys could help save the rest of the pen.

thomas35forever
08-24-2009, 08:45 PM
If we can't get rid of him now, short relief in the 'pen is the only alternative. I do not want to see him start any more games for us. Thanks for '05 Jose, but your time here has really run its course.

bacon
08-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Bull****. I love him for '05 and '06. But he's throwing garbage now, and he needs to be replaced. Permanently.

agreed, its been going on to long.

Crestani
08-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Wow, that was great!! One run on an error by Jose. One run on a bases-loaded walk by Jose. One run on a wild pitch by Jose. Three runs on a homerun dished up by.... you ready..... any guesses...... yours truly......... JOSE!!!!

But he only gave up one earned run!:angry:

Huisj
08-24-2009, 08:50 PM
That one really great start he had a few weeks ago is almost haunting the Sox now. That seemed to give a glimpse of the old him with nasty hard stuff and the forkball and some control, and it bought him more time to stay in the rotation. And now his pitches just don't look like they have any idea where they are going at times.

He looks like me in high school--I once walked like 13 guys or something in 3 innings on opening day. We had a terribly cold crappy spring, and when we got to our first game, our top pitcher got the flu during the day and somehow I ended up pitching. That was the first time I'd set foot on a real dirt outdoor mound all year. Not good.

The Immigrant
08-24-2009, 08:51 PM
That half inning was such a soul-crushing experience. I'm just so tired of watching Contreras piss all over himself.

oeo
08-24-2009, 08:52 PM
That inning was Cubs-esque. Will they DFA him, though? I don't think so with rosters expanding in a week. He might be okay to bring out of the bullpen one inning at a time. It's the second or third time through the order when he has problems.

Demps2
08-24-2009, 09:01 PM
I'm embarrassed by what I just looked at tonight. It's embarrassing to be a Sox fan right now. It seems like we just keep seeing the same movie over and over.

russ99
08-24-2009, 09:02 PM
That half inning was such a soul-crushing experience. I'm just so tired of watching Contreras piss all over himself.

It was like El Duque's 2005 ALDS performance's evil twin.

chisoxjtrain
08-24-2009, 09:08 PM
It was like El Duque's 2005 ALDS performance's evil twin.

Bizarro world El Duque.

slavko
08-24-2009, 09:33 PM
He was solid on 8/19. It's not that long ago.

Athrun
08-24-2009, 09:38 PM
But he was garbage the 5 starts before that

Frater Perdurabo
08-24-2009, 09:40 PM
The bullpen may be a good idea. I think he may be effective in short bursts.

When Peavy returns, I'd like to see Garcia be the fifth starter, with Carrasco and Contreras relieving Garcia.

Boondock Saint
08-24-2009, 09:41 PM

But it was one good start after several bad or mediocre starts:

8/14- 4.1 IP, 6 ER
8/9- 4.2 IP, 4 ER
8/4- 2.2 IP, 3 ER
7/29- 5.2 IP, 3 ER
7/24- 6.2 IP, 4 ER
7/19- 4.1 IP, 4 ER

Noneck
08-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Yes the 4 and 5 have been crap. They were 1 injury away to Danks, Burls or Floyd from competing with the Indians. If they had injuries to their big 3 like the crubs, they would be competing record wise with the Nats.

Viva Medias B's
08-24-2009, 09:49 PM
Jose has got to go to the bullpen.

doublem23
08-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Jose has got to go to the bullpen.

in Birmingham.

Madvora
08-24-2009, 10:14 PM
I appreciate the fact that he has occasionally pulled a great game out of his ass, but at the same time that's killing this team because he's still here. We all know that he doesn't have anything left, but the fact that there's a small chance of success is making Ozzie and Coop put him out there every five days. I think this one should have sealed the deal though.
I can't believe how terrible of a situation our pitching is in this year.

gosox41
08-24-2009, 10:15 PM
DFA please.

You beat me too it. Jose is a great guy, but he's done. Sad as it is, but Ozzie has an undying loyalty to Jose that I can't figure out. Sure he's got heart and he put a lot of effort to prepare, but lots of players fit that mold.

Ozzie won't give an another shot to Carlos Torres, though he can't be much worse, and had one bad outing. Yet Jose works slowsly, walkss hitters, gets stubborn about his arm angle when it isn't working, lies about his injuries (see 2007) and Ozzie sticks with him even as he is detrimental to the team.

Bob

doublem23
08-24-2009, 10:17 PM

Against the worst team in the American League.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Jose should go to the bullpen. First time through the lineup, even when he has been bad, he has done well. It is the second time batters see him that he gets in trouble. He can be a long man in the pen. There are no other choices for him.

Waysouthsider
08-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Good God is this embarrassing....although the whole pitching staff seems to have exploded tonight...what a start to the trip....what a drag...
:whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner::w hiner::whiner::whiner::whiner:

Jaffar
08-24-2009, 10:38 PM
The chat wants to give him a hug. Whoever the "Chat" is.

Soxgirl22
08-24-2009, 10:45 PM

Seconded. He works hard, guys. He just... isn't good.

chisoxfanatic
08-24-2009, 10:50 PM
It looks like he doesn't even care anymore.

What a disgrace.

Patrick134
08-24-2009, 10:53 PM

What a disgrace.

In Jose's defense, he's never looked like he's cared, even when he was on a roll in '05. He could just pitch better then.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-24-2009, 10:53 PM
You beat me too it. Jose is a great guy, but he's done. Sad as it is, but Ozzie has an undying loyalty to Jose that I can't figure out. Sure he's got heart and he put a lot of effort to prepare, but lots of players fit that mold.

Ozzie won't give an another shot to Carlos Torres, though he can't be much worse, and had one bad outing. Yet Jose works slowsly, walkss hitters, gets stubborn about his arm angle when it isn't working, lies about his injuries (see 2007) and Ozzie sticks with him even as he is detrimental to the team.

Bob

If I recall correctly, wasn't the start against the Royals his "last chance" to get it together? I think he was on a short leash, and after this implosion, he has to be gone. I couldn't even imagine his next start at U.S. Cellular...

pmck003
08-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Maybe he would be ok out of the pen, but my guess is that he still has anxiety type problems and I wouldn't wanna see him inherit runners anyway. I guess this because he always seems to pitch/play well until something bothers him, then he barfs all over the field.

doublem23
08-24-2009, 10:56 PM
In Jose's defense, he's never looked like he's cared, even when he was on a roll in '05. He could just pitch better then.

Yeah, he's never been a big emotional guy like Papelbon. He's always been very mellow.

He's just done.

Lip Man 1
08-24-2009, 11:00 PM
Double:

I agree with you completely.

It's time for a minor league callup, it can't be any worse.

Lip

GoGoCrede
08-24-2009, 11:01 PM

What a disgrace.

I gotta disagree. I've read a lot about how hard he's worked to get back, accepting the demotion to AAA, etc. in order to improve. I've never doubted his passion. I've doubted his diminishing skills. It hurts because I love Jose, but it's incredibly hard to watch him pitch.

BadBobbyJenks
08-24-2009, 11:03 PM

He just needs a big ol bear hug. Thats all. And for the Duke to pat his bottom and tell him he is special.

veeter
08-24-2009, 11:05 PM
In the last four seasons, when Jose has had to run towards first base, NOTHING good has happened. It's so weird.

SOXPHILE
08-24-2009, 11:12 PM
I appreciate all he's done for the Sox. 2005 was great. But now, yes, it's time to pull the plug. I think he's done. He's doing nothing but hurting the team every time he goes out there. There's no getting around it. He's either:

-Hurt

or

-Just not good at baseball anymore

Plus, I question his baseball smarts when in the same inning, he hits a batter on an 0-2 count, and then isn't sure if he should let a ball roll foul or pick it up for an easy out at first, before finally attempting to pick it and and screwing that up too.

Lundind1
08-24-2009, 11:14 PM
I am just so tired of this run-around with him. He had that streak of like 17 wins in a row in 17 starts, and then boom...nothing in the 4 years following.

Please, time to leave....no bullpen-I don't need 2007 all over again. Just time to see the door and use it.

Rohan
08-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Very bad.

Let's remember what he did for us in 2005, treat him with respect, then send him on his way.

Let's at least try to be a fan base with something more than a short term memory

doublem23
08-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Very bad.

Let's remember what he did for us in 2005, treat him with respect, then send him on his way.

Let's at least try to be a fan base with something more than a short term memory

I don't think anyone has anything but respect and thanks for Jose and what he did for us back in 2005. He's not helping us in 2009. His comeback was an amazing story of personal dedication and he got back to the big leagues, but he is simply done. Trotting him out there every 5th day now tarnishes his legacy more than just letting him go ever would.

MarkZ35
08-24-2009, 11:39 PM
If the Sox continue the trend they have for the past few years then he'll be gone after this year but then be resigned again sometime around mid season 2012. By that time Jose will be 59.

chisoxfanatic
08-24-2009, 11:52 PM
If the Sox continue the trend they have for the past few years then he'll be gone after this year but then be resigned again sometime around mid season 2012. By that time Jose will be 59.
By 2012, Jose will be eligible for AARP benefits.

PKalltheway
08-25-2009, 12:15 AM
I don't think anyone has anything but respect and thanks for Jose and what he did for us back in 2005. He's not helping us in 2009. His comeback was an amazing story of personal dedication and he got back to the big leagues, but he is simply done. Trotting him out there every 5th day now tarnishes his legacy more than just letting him go ever would.
I agree 100%. He was a big reason why the Sox won in 2005. Heck, he was even good in 2006. But he's washed up now. DFA him, please.

hawkjt
08-25-2009, 01:47 AM
Same thing fans were saying about El Duque late in 2005...and he came back to help us in the playoffs.
Why DFA him? Just send him to the bullpen, let him work on his control,and use him in the DJ role. I still think he has good stuff in short spurts...throws harder than any of our other starters,no doubt about that.

Jeckle2000
08-25-2009, 01:53 AM
I love Jose to death and it's painful seeing what has happened to him.

I'll always remember 2005 and how important he was to that team. But sadly I have no choice but to agree that his time has passed. I was angry during the game but now I'm just saddened.

I'm going to watch my 2005 World Series DVD's to cheer myself up.

Jeckle2000
08-25-2009, 01:59 AM

Bob

I'm not sure how you can't understand where Ozzie's loyalty to Jose comes from. HE'S THE HORSE WHO LED US TO THE WORLD SERIES! I'm sorry but that in my mind should command a little bit of loyalty. Lets be honest here there's no guarantee that Carlos Torres would've been any better. This should be a truly sad day for all White Sox fans.

Rohan
08-25-2009, 02:03 AM

Apparently you have not been to a game where Jose has pitched this season and been booed off of the field after being pulled.

I would hope that there were not any WSI posters/viewers amongst those boo'ing him. But I would not be surprised if there were the occasional few.

Bottom line: There are many fans out there with a very short memory who will treat the man like the dirt we tread on because of his recent performance. The correct attitude would be the one which has been largely voiced in this thread. But often times at games, a different attitude overshadows ours.

cards press box
08-25-2009, 02:27 AM
Hawk Harrelson has long said that the hitters will let a pitcher know when he is done (and the pitchers will let a hitter know the same thing). Over the last six weeks, the hitters have conveyed that message to Jose Contreras. As the Sox have dropped him from the starting rotation, Contreras might be coming near the end of a very interesting major league career.

At his best, Jose looked like a Tom Seaver leading his team to a world championship. That's the Jose I will remember. I'm sorry to see him go out on a down note but I don't expect that he will start again for the Sox.

ms620
08-25-2009, 08:11 AM
DFA please.
http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/this-thread-sucks/8/ThisThreadSucks.jpg

Not sure why we need this thread. There were people bitching about Jose in the game thread, now we have the post game thread, and the Jose to the bullpen thread. Should we create a new thread every time another player plays poorly? Just seems like a waste of time and a waste of space.

spawn
08-25-2009, 08:15 AM
http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/this-thread-sucks/8/ThisThreadSucks.jpg

Not sure why we need this thread. There were people bitching about Jose in the game thread, now we have the post game thread, and the Jose to the bullpen thread. Should we create a new thread every time another player plays poorly? Just seems like a waste of time and a waste of space.
No more than we need a thread about what people are eating, the word thread, what we're reading, etc, etc, etc...why aren't you bitching about any of those threads? This thread was started during the game last night. You have a problem with it? Then don't post in it.