PDA

View Full Version : Black Jerseys Lately?

MARTINMVP
08-24-2009, 08:13 PM
I've noticed that for the past week and a half, the White Sox have primarily been wearing their black alternates. Don't get me wrong, while I do absolutely love their alternate, I kind of like it when they wear it maybe once or twice a week. I like watching them in their home white and road grays still.

Was there a reason why they were wearing black so much lately or was it just coincidence with the pitchers choosing them?

kittle42
08-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Was there a reason why they were wearing black so much lately or was it just coincidence with the pitchers choosing them?

BP has statistically concluded that it helps their Pythagorean W/L.

cub killer
08-24-2009, 09:36 PM
That's good. The blacktops are epic. Best uniform in all of sports.

KnightSox
08-24-2009, 10:41 PM
I have grown to hate the alternate, I am sick of seeing it.

TheOldRoman
08-25-2009, 12:04 AM
I guess they like looking like a softball team. And, they are weak minded. If they lose in the white or gray jerseys, they switch to black for the next game. They must be jinxed. Of course, they often wear black for consecutive games even after losing. I think there were a couple road trips where they didn't even bring the grays. Oh, and Buehrle thinks they are "kewl", so he almost always wears black.

We lost today, so it was probably that dastardly gray jersey. Tomorrow we will come out in the black jerseys trying to hit the ball 700 feet.

Nellie_Fox
08-25-2009, 12:54 AM
I've never cared much for the black tops, but once in a while was okay. They are definitely overusing them.

Dibbs
08-25-2009, 01:06 AM
They should lose the black tops completely. They are a good look for batting practice or spring training only.

Red Barchetta
08-25-2009, 01:52 PM
I like the black alternates, however they are definitely over used. The gray road tops are more of an alternate than the other jerseys and that one is my favorite.

I also think pinstripes pants only look good with pinstripes jerseys. The black alternate jersey matched up with the home pinstripe pants looks bad IMO. It looks good with the road pants because they have similar trim. Why not add a pair of solid white home pants with black/gray trim similar to the road pants style to match up with the black jersey? That way they only wear the pinstripe pants with the pinstripe jerseys.

KnightSox
08-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Why not add a pair of solid white home pants with black/gray trim similar to the road pants style to match up with the black jersey?No.

bigsoxfan420
08-25-2009, 02:07 PM
I don't really like the black jerseys, they look like pajamas or something. It's one thing to wear them on the road, but at home I prefer the pinstriped.

eriqjaffe
08-25-2009, 02:09 PM
Of course, the Sox wear the same uniform top until they lose in it. So, until the Sox can reel off a winning streak in their standard uniforms, you'll be seeing the black alts frequently.

oeo
08-25-2009, 02:31 PM
I've noticed that for the past week and a half, the White Sox have primarily been wearing their black alternates. Don't get me wrong, while I do absolutely love their alternate, I kind of like it when they wear it maybe once or twice a week. I like watching them in their home white and road grays still.

Lately? Over the past two years they've overused them. It hasn't been an 'alternate' for awhile. You could probably count the number of times they've worn their road jerseys this year on two hands. They also consistently wear the black jersey at home, which sucks, because the home white is sweet.

I hate the black uniforms, they're the worst ones they have.

Of course, the Sox wear the same uniform top until they lose in it. So, until the Sox can reel off a winning streak in their standard uniforms, you'll be seeing the black alts frequently.

They used to do this, but I don't think it's true anymore.

eriqjaffe
08-25-2009, 02:35 PM
I hate the black uniforms, they're the worst ones they have.I don't love them, but they're a heck of a lot better than the vests - especially when they were the fake ones with the black sleeves sewn on. I never liked those.

I thought they still did the streak thing, but I admit I haven't payed attention as closely this year.

TheOldRoman
08-25-2009, 02:55 PM
I don't love them, but they're a heck of a lot better than the vests - especially when they were the fake ones with the black sleeves sewn on. I never liked those.

I thought they still did the streak thing, but I admit I haven't payed attention as closely this year.They do for the most part, but there have been several times when they lose several games in a row in black on the road. They usually switch back to the pinstripes when they lose in black at home, but more often than not they stick with black on the road when losing. Also, a few times they hit the road with a winning streak in white and wore black on the road, which is in contrast with what they had done the last several years (white=gray in terms of streaks). It is dumb that they would say "Oh! We lost a game in X, so it is unlucky. Let's switch to Y". After losing the next game in Y, that color becomes unlucky and X is lucky again.

Either way, it is ridiculous. The black jersey was really nice at first, and I remember being excited to see it when I was a kid. No piping around the buttons makes the black jersey look like a BP or softball jersey. The current cut of the jerseys make it look worse. It is cool now and then, but when you see it EVERY day, home or road, it gets weaker. It shouldn't be overexposed. Add in the clunky second outline on the names (which the Angels have found a way around on their red jerseys), and they look worse.

Almost all teams that have alternate jerseys wear them too much. The Sox have regrettably become one of the teams that almost always wears the alt on the road, and that is a shame. They need to take the decision out of the players' hands, mandate that black jerseys are worn only on Sundays or Fridays at home, and one day a week on the road. IMO, the white and gray jerseys are far superior to the black ones.

fram40
08-25-2009, 08:19 PM
I thought the starting pitcher selected the uniform.

hi im skot
08-25-2009, 08:24 PM
I guess they like looking like a softball team. And, they are weak minded. If they lose in the white or gray jerseys, they switch to black for the next game. They must be jinxed. Of course, they often wear black for consecutive games even after losing. I think there were a couple road trips where they didn't even bring the grays. Oh, and Buehrle thinks they are "kewl", so he almost always wears black.

We lost today, so it was probably that dastardly gray jersey. Tomorrow we will come out in the black jerseys trying to hit the ball 700 feet.

Everything about this post:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j146/sschaaf/eyeroll.gif

TheOldRoman
08-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Everything about this post:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j146/sschaaf/eyeroll.gifSo... they don't switch from the white or gray jerseys after losing in them? They don't hold onto superstitions that changing jerseys will bring better luck? Buehrle doesn't like wearing black? Are you refuting anything or just throwing crap at the wall?

hi im skot
08-26-2009, 12:38 AM

So... they don't switch from the white or gray jerseys after losing in them? They don't hold onto superstitions that changing jerseys will bring better luck? Buehrle doesn't like wearing black? Are you refuting anything or just throwing crap at the wall?

Okay, fine, I'll play along.

The weak minded comment doesn't make any sense. You proved that they don't appear to be all that superstitious since they don't really deviate from a particular jersey due to how well they played in it the night before. It's obvious some pitchers prefer one jersey type to another, and I think that's ultimately what it comes down to. The Sox have worn the grey jerseys something like 15 times all season, so luck doesn't seem to have anything to do with it; most guys just prefer the black.

Frankly, you lost me on the "kewl" comment. Are you sneaking peeks at Buehrle's journal, or do you just assume he spells like a 7th grader?

I suppose I might just be cranky, as the Sox are playing like complete **** and folks are concerned about the jersey color. I don't care, and I'm a total jersey snob.

MARTINMVP
08-27-2009, 12:43 AM
In all honesty, when I saw them in their gray road jerseys on Monday night, I actually stopped and was like "wow! now that looks good!" -- of course, they were up in the score at the time, so I was pretty happy.

The black jerseys need to just stop. Not completely, but my goodness they should only be worn once or twice a week. Make it special. I love the traditional home white for every team and the road grays.

Now, quite personally, I'm not a fan of the White Sox having pinstripes, but that's a whole different argument. They have the pinstripes, that is their look and it still looks pretty damn good.

MARTINMVP
08-27-2009, 12:46 AM
You know, if the team was wearing the constant black and were winning, I wouldn't care. Hell, I'd probably say they were winning because of the black jerseys.

mcg
08-27-2009, 01:45 PM
I'd really like it if the Sox instituted a once a week rule for the black jerseys. I just love the regular home and road jerseys.

At the beginning of the season Uni Watch asked fans to track records by uniform. One guy is doing it for the Sox (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3149/3794302111_ef9071917c_b.jpg). The info only goes through July 31st but there's a whole lotta black. I'm sure they'll run updates again when the season is over.

#1swisher
08-27-2009, 02:36 PM
I voted black...Buehrle has two no-hitters wearing black:scratch:

g0g0
08-28-2009, 09:12 AM
They looked good in the grey unis at Boston last night!

gaelhound
08-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Saving money on the laundry! No bleach. Money goes to the free agent fund for 2010.

Red Barchetta
08-29-2009, 12:47 PM
I like the black jerseys, however as many have mentioned, they are way over-worn. I really wish they would go back to Sundays only or the occassional DH.

Interesting that they never made an appearance during the 2005 post season (even after the home opener loss to the Angels in the ALCS), however were worn (and we lost) during last year's playoffs. :?:

TheOldRoman
08-29-2009, 07:19 PM
This week, they lost in the gray once, then scrapped them because they were "unlucky". They then wore the black for two straight losses, then switched back to the gray. After a win in gray, Buehrle switched back to black because it is apparently his security blanket. After a bad loss last night, they came out again in black and lost today.

If they are going to look like a softball team so much and stick with stupid rules about when they wear jerseys, they should at least abide by them. Players should have no input whatsoever into the uniforms they wear. That is what created the current atrocities that are the Bills, Jaguars, and Bengals uniforms.

Red Barchetta
08-29-2009, 09:04 PM
This week, they lost in the gray once, then scrapped them because they were "unlucky". They then wore the black for two straight losses, then switched back to the gray. After a win in gray, Buehrle switched back to black because it is apparently his security blanket. After a bad loss last night, they came out again in black and lost today.

If they are going to look like a softball team so much and stick with stupid rules about when they wear jerseys, they should at least abide by them. Players should have no input whatsoever into the uniforms they wear. That is what created the current atrocities that are the Bills, Jaguars, and Bengals uniforms.

I agree. Remember when the Bears wore the blue jerseys/blue pants on Monday night against the Packers?! That was god-aweful!

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-01-2009, 01:15 AM
I agree. Remember when the Bears wore the blue jerseys/blue pants on Monday night against the Packers?! That was god-aweful!

Their jerseys, or their performance? I'd say both looked pretty abysmal. (of course, assuming you're talking about the Dec. 31, 2006 game where they had the 1 seed clinched and just went through the motions)

soltrain21
09-01-2009, 01:28 AM
Their jerseys, or their performance? I'd say both looked pretty abysmal. (of course, assuming you're talking about the Dec. 31, 2006 game where they had the 1 seed clinched and just went through the motions)

He could also be talking about the game when they were in Urbana. Not as awful - but still pretty awful.