PDA

View Full Version : When are these pitchers going to be made to pay?

FanOf14
06-07-2002, 07:26 PM
With all the walks the last few days, the Sox have yet to make them pay. Today we start the game off with two walks and can't cross the plate - thank you Frank, Ordonez and Konerko. Why weren't those two (Lofton and Durham) in motion? Was that pitcher really that quick to the plate and their catcher really that good? With the way they are (or aren't as the case is) swinging the bat, we need to generate offense and to start that, they need to try to steal. Wonder how many free passes have to be issued before the boys make the opposing pitcher pay.

RKMeibalane
06-07-2002, 08:12 PM
I read on the Gamecast that Frank flied out to deep left. If that's the case, why didn't Lofton and Durham try advance? If they had done so, the Expos would've had to bring their infield in, making it easier for Ordonez to drive in a run if he hits the ball hard.

There's plenty of blame to go around. What I don't like more than anything else is the lack of agressiveness on the part of the Sox. They are just waiting for things to happen instead of making things happen. I don't remember the last time I saw Loften steal a base, nor do I remember Manuel calling for a hit-and-run.

CerberusWG
06-07-2002, 08:22 PM
Frank hit an absolute bullet to Left. O'Leary was playing deep and made a nice running catch. Lofton and Durham thought it was at least a double and were halfway to 2nd and 3rd.

RKMeibalane
06-07-2002, 08:30 PM
Never assume anything. If a flyball is hit, it is the responsbility of the baesrunner(s) to be sure or the hit or out before they do anything. That involves first watching where the ball is it, and then using the third base coach as guide. From the looks of things, that didn't happen.

I realize Frank hasn't been getting it done lately, but it is frustrating to see him do something right and have others screw it up. This is why the Sox are struggling.