PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Radio Question

cnw8052
08-23-2009, 11:21 PM
I've wondered this for years. Where exactly does Pat Hughes go in the middle of the game for an inning or two??? I've never been able to figure out why he can't broadcast the entire game.

FWIW....

voodoochile
08-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Two thoughts...

First, please put flubbie related threads in the proper forum. That's this one, What's The Score?

Second, Why are you listening to flubbie radio broadcasts and why would you assume anyone else at WSI is? Maybe they are, but perhaps this would be a better question for a flubbie related message board...:rolleyes:

cnw8052
08-23-2009, 11:40 PM
I listen to their games when the Sox aren't playing. I didn't know that's a crime.

Sorry about the post location. That was my mistake.

jabrch
08-24-2009, 01:48 AM
I listen to their games when the Sox aren't playing. I didn't know that's a crime.

It is not a crime. Nowhere does it say you have to hate the Cubs to be a Sox fan. If the Sox aren't on - and I am in the car, I listen also. And I have no ideaa why Hughes takes time off. My best guess is that he is nauseated from dealing with so much Ron Santo. But that's just a guess.

LITTLE NELL
08-24-2009, 05:11 AM
For many years a lot of announcers took 2 or 3 inning breaks and the sidekick took over. Bob Elson had Don Wells when I was growing up followed by Milo Hamilton and Red Rush. IIRC they all called the middle 3 innings. Same with Brickhouse on TV with Vince Lloyd and Lloyd Pettit et al.

DumpJerry
08-24-2009, 06:49 AM
If you were calling Cub games, you'd want to take a couple of innings off every day.

illinifan1368
08-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Two thoughts...

First, please put flubbie related threads in the proper forum. That's this one, What's The Score?

Second, Why are you listening to flubbie radio broadcasts and why would you assume anyone else at WSI is? Maybe they are, but perhaps this would be a better question for a flubbie related message board...:rolleyes:

Can you show where it says I have to hate the Cubs in order to be a Sox fan? God forbid someone ask a Cubs question around here :rolleyes:

Marqhead
08-24-2009, 08:43 AM
Can you show where it says I have to hate the Cubs in order to be a Sox fan?

http://www.ehow.com/how_2151018_be-white-sox-fan.html :redneck

voodoochile
08-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Can you show where it says I have to hate the Cubs in order to be a Sox fan? God forbid someone ask a Cubs question around here :rolleyes:

I never said you have to hate the flubs. In fact I don't. I just don't understand why people would listen to them and I don't understand why you would come to a Sox forum to ask the question?

soxpride724
08-24-2009, 10:24 AM
I too, have wondered why he does that.:scratch:

On another note, I love listening to games on XM and hearing all of the diffrent announcers around the league.

mrfourni
08-24-2009, 10:27 AM
If you were calling Cub games, you'd want to take a couple of innings off every day.

To add to that, if you had Ron Santo screaming in your ear every day, you'd want to take couple innings as well. Pat Hughes has absolutely nothing to work with in that booth.

NoNeckEra
08-24-2009, 01:10 PM
It's in his contract that he gets the 5th inning off.

And as for the proper place for the question, why have a forum named "What's the Score" if you can't ask a Cubs related question?

spawn
08-24-2009, 01:18 PM
And as for the proper place for the question, why have a forum named "What's the Score" if you can't ask a Cubs related question?
First of all, it was posted in the wrong section initially. Second, no one here said you couldn't ask a Cubs question. However, on a Sox message board, it's odd that we should care why Pat Hughes, a Cubs broadcaster, disappears during broadcasts. I guess I'll speak for myself when I say I really don't give a rats ass as I try my hardest not to listen to Cubs games on the radio. Third, What's The Score isn't just about Flubbie related material. If you read the posting rules for this section of the forum, you would know that.

Nellie_Fox
08-24-2009, 01:21 PM
It is not a crime. Nowhere does it say you have to hate the Cubs to be a Sox fan. If the Sox aren't on - and I am in the car, I listen also. And I have no ideaa why Hughes takes time off. My best guess is that he is nauseated from dealing with so much Ron Santo. But that's just a guess.

Can you show where it says I have to hate the Cubs in order to be a Sox fan? God forbid someone ask a Cubs question around here :rolleyes:It's a White Sox board. It's not a "Chicago sports" board. Asking questions about the Cubs' broadcast makes as much sense as asking about the Twins' broadcasts.

jabrch
08-24-2009, 01:33 PM
It's a White Sox board. It's not a "Chicago sports" board. Asking questions about the Cubs' broadcast makes as much sense as asking about the Twins' broadcasts.

I think we have a lot of White Sox fans who are also baseball fans, who listen to broadcasts on the radio (either on WGN or on Sirius around the league) who have some knowledge on other broadscasts. We have a full section of this board for Non-White Sox baseball related baseball discussion. We don't get pushed to a Twins site to talk about the Twins.

I don't think it is outrageous to expect that someone who frequents here (given the level of knowledge of our regular posters and the fact that some of the mainstream media also reads here) could answer the original question.

Not trying to stir the pot...just curious as to why this seems to have struck a nerve.

WhiteSoxRich
08-24-2009, 01:40 PM
If I listen, it's just to hear santo being tortured by the scrubs play.

white sox bill
08-24-2009, 01:47 PM
I would trade Farmer for Hughes any day.

Nellie_Fox
08-24-2009, 01:51 PM
I think we have a lot of White Sox fans who are also baseball fans, who listen to broadcasts on the radio (either on WGN or on Sirius around the league) who have some knowledge on other broadscasts. We have a full section of this board for Non-White Sox baseball related baseball discussion. We don't get pushed to a Twins site to talk about the Twins.

I don't think it is outrageous to expect that someone who frequents here (given the level of knowledge of our regular posters and the fact that some of the mainstream media also reads here) could answer the original question.

Not trying to stir the pot...just curious as to why this seems to have struck a nerve.ANY posts that are not White Sox related remain at the discretion of the mod staff. Period.

It struck a nerve because we don't want to start regular, ongoing, Cubbie discussion from the standpoint of Cubbie fans.

areilly
08-24-2009, 02:57 PM
I would trade Farmer for Hughes any day.

His employer aside, I actually like Hughes. He's like Farmer without the endearing belligerence or Hawk without the folksy nonsense.

cnw8052
08-24-2009, 04:52 PM
WOW

I can't believe a simple, legitimate question about an announcer raised such a ruckus. I'm first and foremost totally a Sox fan, but I do like baseball in general. It was NOT my intention to send mods over the edge, for crying out loud. There's NO way I'm going to sign up to a Cubs message board to ask my question, as I'm NOT a Cubs fan. I just assumed the intelligent fans on this forum would know the answer.

Thanks to those who responded to my question.

As for the wrong board I originally posted it to, that was mistake. People make mistakes. Sheesh.

Brian26
08-24-2009, 08:18 PM
WOW

I can't believe a simple, legitimate question about an announcer raised such a ruckus. I'm first and foremost totally a Sox fan, but I do like baseball in general. It was NOT my intention to send mods over the edge, for crying out loud. There's NO way I'm going to sign up to a Cubs message board to ask my question, as I'm NOT a Cubs fan. I just assumed the intelligent fans on this forum would know the answer.

Thanks to those who responded to my question.

As for the wrong board I originally posted it to, that was mistake. People make mistakes. Sheesh.

My best advice would be to let it go because this type of post is insulting.

Nobody needs to see you come back here to get the last word with an "I told you so" scolding of the mods.

Quite honestly, your originally question was dumb. If you're as big of a baseball fan as you say you are, you'd know the answer from listening to other broadcasts. If you're as big of a Sox fan as you say you are, you wouldn't be posting such a wussy question at a Sox site. If you listen to that many Flub games on the radio and honestly don't know the answer, maybe you need to sign up on a Flubs message board.