PDA

View Full Version : This may not be our last trip to Metrodome after all.....

bridgeportcopper
08-23-2009, 11:09 PM
Just read on Bobby Wade's twitter account that the Twins are contemplating playing certain, select series in the current H.H. Humphrey Metrodome in 2010 and beyond. As the facility will still be open and in use for Vikings football, WWE events and Monster truck pulls. Most likely April and October games for weather reasons. Although knowing how the Sox crap the bed up there, wouldn't ya think we'd almost certainly be thrown in there at least once a season?

chisoxfanatic
08-23-2009, 11:15 PM
What's the point of building a new ballpark if you're not going to use it for all of your games? I'd hope they'd only move games there to avoid a game being postponed.

Britt Burns
08-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Say it isn't so!

gregoriop
08-23-2009, 11:19 PM
So....can they do that?

Also, they should have thought out the little things, like the weather, when they decided on what they were going to build.

hi im skot
We're citing Bobby Wade's Twitter, now?

In that case, Shaq is taking over Mike Rowe's job...

DSpivack
What's the point of building a new ballpark if you're not going to use it for all of your games? I'd hope they'd only move games there to avoid a game being postponed.

Yep, that's pretty idiotic. It's almost like they're acknowledging they won't have as good of a home-field advantage.

GoGoCrede
My life is ruined. And so is the party I was planning to throw on September 2nd. Goodbye, cruel world.....:)

LoveYourSuit
08-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Well there has been a countdown after every Sox meltdown at the dome here this season counting down the amount of times left we have to play there. That would be sad that this consolaiton prize is no longer an option and the Sox would have to be held accountable to their ****ty play.

SoxSpeed22
08-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Jay Cutler's a *****.

oeo
08-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Bobby Wade annoys me more now than when he was with the Bears. That's saying a lot considering he couldn't catch a ****ing punt.

Shoeless_Jeff
08-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Just read on Bobby Wade's twitter account that the Twins are contemplating playing certain, select series in the current H.H. Humphrey Metrodome in 2010 and beyond. As the facility will still be open and in use for Vikings football, WWE events and Monster truck pulls. Most likely April and October games for weather reasons. Although knowing how the Sox crap the bed up there, wouldn't ya think we'd almost certainly be thrown in there at least once a season?

I don't think the Twins need to worry about playing in October.

Nellie_Fox
08-23-2009, 11:55 PM
I haven't seen or heard a thing about this on any regular Minnesota media.

kevingrt
08-24-2009, 12:01 AM
Wait Bobby Wade's Twitter account is a reputable source? I know Joe Cowley is bad but Bobby Wad, really?

This should probably go to WTS.

cards press box
08-24-2009, 12:08 AM
So....can they do that?

I'm not sure what the rules are now but in the '30's and '40's, the Indians played at two stadia: Cleveland Municipal Stadium and League Park. Municipal Stadium was the larger of the two, holding up to 78,000. In marked contrast, League Park held only 21,400. Lights were never installed in League Park and the Indians stopped using it after 1946.

Here's another question: why would the Twins want to play in such a dreary dump after building a beautiful, new ballpark?

DSpivack
08-24-2009, 12:13 AM
I'm not sure what the rules are now but in the '30's and '40's, the Indians played at two stadia: Cleveland Municipal Stadium and League Park. Municipal Stadium was the larger of the two, holding up to 78,000. In marked contrast, League Park held only 21,400. Lights were never installed in League Park and the Indians stopped using it after 1946.

Here's another question: why would the Twins want to play in such a dreary dump after building a beautiful, new ballpark?

Also, the Cubs played several World Series games at Comiskey [in the 1910s, I believe].

gobears1987
08-24-2009, 01:06 AM
Bobby Wade is a ****ing idiot. I think we established this last month.

crashwave
08-24-2009, 01:07 AM
:scratch:

Absolutely no way. Utterly ridiculous on numerous levels.

bridgeportcopper
08-24-2009, 07:30 AM
:scratch:

Absolutely no way. Utterly ridiculous on numerous levels.

I see no reason why it wouldn't....takes care of some of the weather dilemas in Minn, I think if the Sox had access to a dome here they wouldn't mind using it for 6 or 9 games in april.

bridgeportcopper
08-24-2009, 07:33 AM
Jay Cutler's a *****.

You'd be crazy if you didn't believe that one, old teammates run into each other in Vegas as it supposedly happened, and Urlacher opens his mouth. He was stammering stuttering and talking faster than ever when that one got out.

southside rocks
08-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Wouldn't MLB have to agree to that? I'm pretty sure that teams can't just decide on their own where they want to play some of their games.

When the Twinkies announce that MLB has approved it, I'll believe it. But until then, I'll bet against it.

DumpJerry
08-24-2009, 07:42 AM
Rumors belong in WTS.

This is ridiculous. The seating configuration is completely different, how would tickets for one place transfer to the other?

Also, the Twins' PR machine this year pointed out that none of the games in April this year would have been postponed due to weather if they were outdoor games. The Twins (well, actually the taxpayers of Minnesota) have spend too much money on the new stadium to make it a part-time structure.

Scottiehaswheels
08-24-2009, 08:47 AM
How the hell would season tickets work if this were even close to reality? I can't even begin to imagine the headaches that this would cause as to which seat in the new park is equivalent to the one in the dump.

Dibbs
08-24-2009, 09:06 AM
This doesn't make sense. It would be impossible to print these tickets. It is not like they can predict the weather in February when the tickets are printed. I find this hard to believe.

dickallen15
08-24-2009, 10:11 AM
I was in Minneapolis the Sox last trip. This is a false report. They have been counting down to "outdoor baseball" for quite a while, and they should be excited because the stadium appears to be spectacular. They even are going to have a few things to keep fans warmer in the new park, I think a big fire pit is one of them. The only way I see them using the Metrodome after this year is if there was a snowstorm that would wipe out an entire series. Like what happened to Cleveland a couple of years ago when they had to play a few home games in Milwaukee.

Railsplitter
08-24-2009, 10:25 AM
So....can they do that?

Yes. When Cleveland Municipal Stadium opened in 1932, the Indians split thier time between it and League Park for a number of years.

The Brooklyn Dodgers played one home game against each NL opponent is Jersey City's Roosevelt Stadium in 1956 and 1957.

Even our Sox played "home" games in Milwaukee's County Stadium in 1968 and 1969.

bridgeportcopper
08-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Yes. When Cleveland Municipal Stadium opened in 1932, the Indians split thier time between it and League Park for a number of years.

The Brooklyn Dodgers played one home game against each NL opponent is Jersey City's Roosevelt Stadium in 1956 and 1957.

Even our Sox played "home" games in Milwaukee's County Stadium in 1968 and 1969.

Tampa was using Orlando for a series a year too, until they got good last year.

FielderJones
08-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Also, the Cubs played several World Series games at Comiskey [in the 1910s, I believe].

1918 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1918/YPS_1918.htm), games 1-3 :nuts: So much for the 2-3-2 format. That apparently wasn't established until 1924!

cub killer
08-24-2009, 09:45 PM
The novelty of their new ballpark will wear out after a couple of years, then there'll be sparse crowds during cold-weather games and their fans will be saying "we should have a dome, it's Minnesota for Chrissake!"

Hopefully their poor attendance + the debt of paying for the stadium= a poor product on the field for them.

DumpJerry
08-24-2009, 10:21 PM
Hopefully their poor attendance + the debt of paying for the stadium= a poor product on the field for them.
No debt. The state of Minnesota through the taxpayers paid for the stadium. The reason it took so long to get a stadium built is due to the fact that Pohlad refused to pay for a new stadium and demanded that the state pay for it or else he would move the team (sound familiar?).