PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Sox object to playing .600 baseball, lose to yet another sub .500 team

captainclutch24
08-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Team sucks. .500 on a home series against two cellar dwellars is horrible. I fully expect them to be out of the playoff hunt by September 4th. Team can't play like this and expect to go anything but 3-8, or 4-7 on roadtrip.

GoGoCrede
08-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Had a tiring day, so a win would have been pleasant. I'm glad I missed most of this game.

Whitesoxfan23
LOL@ this team. Just pathetic. This team lacks balls.

Patrick134
Great fight by the Sox there, but there's no excuse for swinging at that last pitch, not to mention the first pitch of that AB.

kittle42
08-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Caught at end of O's broadcast:

Kotsay has yet to have a hit with RISP for the Sox.

This is the Orioles' FIRST series win in 11 series since the All-Star break.

I love me some barely over .500 Sox baseball!

Seriously, I really haven't hated a Sox team this much since 2003.

thomas35forever
How do we lose a home series to the ORIOLES?!:angry: We are way out of sync in this division race. I'm starting to believe we'll be forgetting about this season very soon.

SoxSpeed22
This is Cheerios. This is a bowl full of Trix.

chisoxfanatic
The only thing we can hope for right now is for Oakland to take care of the Tigers. What a horrible home stand.

Now, it's time for the hardest road trip of the season...eesh!

JermaineDye05
Team sucks. .500 on a home series against two cellar dwellars is horrible. I fully expect them to be out of the playoff hunt by September 4th. Team can't play like this and expect to go anything but 3-8, or 4-7 on roadtrip.

I don't know about this. The Tigers are horrible. Each team is just begging the other to grab it by the horns and run away with it.

Whitesoxfan23
This team doesn't deserve to make the playoffs. At all.

kevingrt
It's August and you lose a series to the Indians and Orioles at home... that means you suck.

Yet you still have a chance at the AL Central. This is going to be a chaotic final month.

kittle42
LOL@ this team. Just pathetic. This team lacks balls.

Passion. Heart. Chicago tough.

GMAB. "Balls" are not the reason the Sox are losing, except in the sense of not hitting or catching them.

BadBobbyJenks
08-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Buehrle the perefecto hangover is over. Start winning games.

I am sick of being a fan of Detroit's opponents instead of this sad group of players.

chisoxfanatic
Even 2007?

Patrick134
How do we lose a home series to the ORIOLES?!:angry: We are way out of sync in this division race. I'm starting to believe we'll be forgetting about this season very soon.

This feigned anger is getting tiresome. The Sox were picked to finish 4th in a bad division before this season. This whole season, the prevailing attitude is that the Sox could win ths below mediocre division, then lose their playoff series. All this pompous bombast and whining is pathetic.

Crestani
08-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Can anybody tell the difference between Rios and Dye? I can't. They both are in deep funks and the 3rd hole is killing us!

kittle42
Now, it's time for the hardest road trip of the season...eesh!

I'd rather play 10 at Boston, NY, and Minny than 10 at home against KC, Cleveland, and Oakland right now, the way the Sox play down to their competition.

yazz32
Oakland leading Detroit 4-1 the only silver lining of today.

kevingrt

2007, remember that year?

kittle42
Even 2007?

Yes. That team just flat-out sucked. I was disgusted by them, but didn't hate them.

BNLSox
Passion. Heart. Chicago tough.

GMAB. "Balls" are not the reason the Sox are losing, except in the sense of not hitting or catching them.

Or taking them.... WHY DID YOU SWING AT THAT MARK?!

eastchicagosoxfan
Whats it going to take to light a fire under these guys? One terrible at bat after another.

ms620
08-23-2009, 05:02 PM
This was a big game for the Sox. They needed MB to pitch a good game..and he did not. The offense struggled also, but that is this offense. The home run to Pie is unacceptable..and turned out to be the deciding run. Great job by the bullpen though.

kevingrt
Oakland leading Detroit 4-1 the only silver lining of today.

I'm with Bobby though... I hate rooting for the Tiggers opponents to win after our sorry team loses to crap teams.

chisoxfanatic
So, now Berken is 3-11. :angry:

SoxGirl4Life
Go oakland, I guess. Sox and Tigers are letting Twins back in this thing.. :sigh:

kittle42
08-23-2009, 05:03 PM
This feigned anger is getting tiresome. The Sox were picked to finish 4th in a bad division before this season. This whole season, the prevailing attitude is that the Sox could win ths below mediocre division, then lose their playoff series. All this pompous bombast and whining is pathetic.

The problem, Patrick, is that they've shown that they can be better than that - it would be different if they had the losing record against winning teams and the winning record against losing teams - it is maddening and anger-inducing because THEY BEAT THE GOOD TEAMS.

kevingrt
Yes. That team just flat-out sucked. I was disgusted by them, but didn't hate them.

Understandable. That team had no talent and sucked. This team is a bunch of under-achievers, at least right now.

ms620

Isn't that a personal attack? I know someone who had a few day ban for calling someone pathetic...

soxfandy
08-23-2009, 05:04 PM
This is exactly why your 2009 white sox will not make the playoffs. In the middle of a playoff race u simply can't lose home series to the likes of the indians, royals, and the orioles. I am kind of glad we are going on this road trip. Atleast the Sox can't let me down. I'm not expecting much from them so maybe they will surprise me.

doublem23
Of course, they'll go on a tear these next 2 weeks and suck me right back in.

Ugh, I can't wait for the Bears to kick-off. Maybe they'll play up to their talent.

Whitesoxfan23
So I think it's time to start worrying about Mark.

Patrick134
08-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Isn't that a personal attack? I know someone who had a few day ban for calling someone pathetic...

Whining is pathetic, no member of this board is pathetic as a person at all.

tsoxman
08-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Caught at end of O's broadcast:

Kotsay has yet to have a hit with RISP for the Sox.

This is the Orioles' FIRST series win in 11 series since the All-Star break.

I love me some barely over .500 Sox baseball!

To think that in the last three series in which we played the A's Royals and O's, we are 4-5? Awful

tsoxman
08-23-2009, 05:06 PM
I think it is time to start worrying about the Twins.

Patrick134
08-23-2009, 05:07 PM

There is a reason I would never call Mark an "ace", and I've said this forever. If he's hitting his spots, he's good, but when he's not, you look up after 3 innings and he's given up 9-11 hits. When he's on he's a lefty version of Greg Maddux. When he's not, he's a lefty version of Mike Maddux. The good thing is that Mark is on more often than off.

Tragg
To think that in the last three series in which we played the A's Royals and O's, we are 4-5? Awful
No no dear sir. We're 5-4.
Feel better now?:cool:

Today is the kind of game that the Tigers often enough win and we don't: you're basically outplayed, but you come back and win anyway.

And if Williams thinks this team is underachieving, then I would think he'll have to evaluate the quality of coaching he's getting.

ms620
Whining is pathetic, no member of this board is pathetic as a person at all.

Voicing a negative opinion is not necessarily whining though. If I said that I think MB is very overrated by sox fans, and I do, it is not whining. He is a very valuable member of the team. I would not want him pitching for another team, but he is what he is...a 2/3 starter who will give you a lot of qualiy innings..but he is not great. He has great days, but overall, he is just pretty good. Next year he will hopefuly be the 3rd best pitcher on this team.

chisoxfanatic
08-23-2009, 05:08 PM
We're 5-4, not 4-5, but that's still unacceptable!

voodoochile

No, it's not. It's a perfect example of how to complain about a crappy post and in the future, I'd appreciate it if you'd let the mods do the moderating. If you feel a post is a violation of the rules, use the report feature, don't start posting about how it's a rules violation in the thread.

Thanks.

TheOldRoman
Gutless, heartless, spineless, etc. *Eagerly awaiting the Queen of Smarm to come and argue there is no such thing as heart or "clutch" and we are throwing around catchphrases.*

This is 2006 all over again with a less talented team. "We lost today, no big deal. Swing harder and we will get em tomorrow."

Whitesoxfan23
08-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Voicing a negative opinion is not necessarily whining though. If I said that I think MB is very overrated by sox fans, and I do, it is not whining. He is a very valuable member of the team. I would not want him pitching for another team, but he is what he is...a 2/3 starter who will give you a lot of qualiy innings..but he is not great. He has great days, but overall, he is just pretty good. Next year he will hopefuly be the 3rd best pitcher on this team.

I do agree Mark is a bit overrated around here. He's usually either great, or bad.

Domeshot17
08-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Buehrle needs to be better, anytime he gives up 5 runs, its unexceptable and we probably will not win.

russ99
08-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Maybe Kenny can send the team a message by canning Walker now instead of on Oct. 5th... (teal?)

The one thing I do know is if we play like this in Boston and New York, we'll get our butts handed to us.

BadBobbyJenks
Ozzie advocating the George Costanza approach, what ever you are doing or thinking, do the opposite.

Whitesoxfan23
Maybe Kenny can send the team a message by canning Walker now instead of on Oct. 5th... (teal?)

I would love that. I bet KW is throwing things as we speak, after this bad homestand.

ms620
08-23-2009, 05:11 PM
No, it's not. It's a perfect example of how to complain about a crappy post and in the future, I'd appreciate it if you'd let the mods do the moderating. If you feel a post is a violation of the rules, use the report feature, don't start posting about how it's a rules violation in the thread.

Thanks.

Ok my bad. Usually when people quote someones post they are replying TO them...so when he quoted a post, and said all this whining is pathetic, a simple inference would tell you he is referring to that poster's whining..my bad...I will let you get back to "moderating".

doublem23
08-23-2009, 05:11 PM
I do agree Mark is a bit overrated around here. He's usually either great, or bad.

Yeah, that 122 career ERA+, 13th among active pitchers and 11th among active starters... How overrated. There are 10 pitchers you could have instead!

Whitesoxfan23
08-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Yeah, that 122 career ERA+, 13th among active pitchers and 11th among active starters... How overrated. There are 10 pitchers you could have instead!

I didn't say he sucked. I said he was a bit overrated around here. I love Mark, but Floyd has been our ace this season, not Mark.

russ99
Ozzie advocating the George Costanza approach, what ever you are doing or thinking, do the opposite.

Time to add another "Cy" to your sig...

ms620

B/c he is not an ace...and many sox fans think he is..very simple.

voodoochile
08-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Ok my bad. Usually when people quote someones post they are replying TO them...so when he quoted a post, and said all this whining is pathetic, a simple inference would tell you he is referring to that poster's whining..my bad...I will let you get back to "moderating".

If he had quoted the post and said, "you are whiney and pathetic," then it would have been a personal attack. Since he stuck with commenting on the content of the post and didn't stray into commenting on the poster who made said post, he was fine.

It's a fine line, but it's the one we draw.

Lip Man 1
08-23-2009, 05:14 PM
23 losses now to the crap teams in the league

Absolutely embarrassing.

Lip

thomas35forever
He's not an ace, but he's our ace at least until Peavy emerges. However, this bad stretch he's in is why he will not be a HOFer.

WhiteSoxOnly
I don't know about this. The Tigers are horrible. Each team is just begging the other to grab it by the horns and run away with it.

Come on JD05...the Tigers are not horrible.We sure as hell are but they
have been in first just about the whole damn year.They may be a notch
above average and that isn't saying to much but they are better than us.
We stink out loud up and down,forwards,backwards,and sideways.2 games
above .500 in this division is horrible.

illinifan1368
08-23-2009, 05:15 PM
This one pisses me off, and now Oakland takes a 3 run lead and I am pissed off even more. The Sox are so :puking:yet somehow, I can't stop watching...

doublem23
I didn't say he sucked. I said he was a bit overrated around here. I love Mark, but Floyd has been our ace this season, not Mark.

This is a silly line to draw, Mark has been very good this year, remember earlier in the season when the Sox had won something like 10 of Buehrle's starts and only 10 of every other starter's starts?

The fact that there's even someone out there who thinks Buehrle isn't a true #1 starting pitcher makes him underrated. The guy is pure gold.

thomas35forever
This one pisses me off, and now Oakland takes a 3 run lead and I am pissed off even more. The Sox are so :puking:yet somehow, I can't stop watching...
It's like smoking crack. You know it's bad, but you can't stop doing it.

ms620
08-23-2009, 05:16 PM
He's not an ace, but he's our ace at least until Peavy emerges. However, this bad stretch he's in is why he will not be a HOFer.

I can agree with that. But Jeremy Guthrie is the Orioles best pitcher..but that does not make him an Ace. People viewed today's game as if Beckett or Lincecum were pitching...and that was not the case.

BadBobbyJenks
Time to add another "Cy" to your sig...

And I am really sick of doing that!

Patrick134
Come on JD05...the Tigers are not horrible.We sure as hell are but they
have been in first just about the whole damn year.They may be a notch
above average and that isn't saying to much but they are better than us.
We stink out loud up and down,forwards,backwards,and sideways.2 games
above .500 in this division is horrible.

It'd be a virtual tie if Jenks gets Granderson out in that saturday game, and you want to pretend they're wildly better than the Sox? False , they're equally middle of the road teams.

Soxman219
So...Cutler looked good last night.:smile:

Whitesoxfan23
08-23-2009, 05:17 PM
I'm ready for some football!

doublem23
08-23-2009, 05:18 PM

"Ace" is the the most ambiguous term in all of baseball lexicon. By any standard, aside from the purely subjective blabbering by crybaby psychopaths, he is truly one of the best pitchers in baseball.

Remember when C.C. Sabathia got torched by the Orioles earlier this year? I guess he's not an ace, either?

WhiteSoxOnly
08-23-2009, 05:19 PM
23 losses now to the crap teams in the league

Absolutely embarrassing.

Lip

Indeed it is.What a waste.

Dan H
Buehrle is another one of his funks. This has happened to him in other years when he goes through five or six starts when he just plain stinks. Who knows when he'll come out of it.

It is reaching the point where I wish Detroit would go on a winning streak and end this already.

When did the White Sox ever win a game when they trailed in the late innings? Has it happened this year?

russ99
I'll say it again, anytime Rios wants to start hitting, go right ahead.

Last time I said that he went 2-4 the next game. IMO, it's the funky stance at the plate.

russ99
08-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Buehrle is another one of his funks. This has happened to him in other years when he goes through five or six starts when he just plain stinks. Who knows when he'll come out of it.

It is reaching the point where I wish Detroit would go on a winning streak and end this already.

When did the White Sox ever win a game when they trailed in the late innings? Has it happened this year?

Yeah, Alexei in Seattle a week ago comes to mind.

But not many more times. There's been two problems with the Sox doing that - 1) our hitting sucks in pressure situations 2) our bullpen keeps giving up more runs.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-23-2009, 05:22 PM
I would love that. I bet KW is throwing things as we speak, after this bad homestand.
If a player is so inclined, I hope the next several days are spent repairing the damage to the clubhouse after this piss-poor ballgame.

LongLiveFisk
08-23-2009, 05:24 PM
I'd rather play 10 at Boston, NY, and Minny than 10 at home against KC, Cleveland, and Oakland right now, the way the Sox play down to their competition.

Bingo. My sentiments exactly!

Patrick134
08-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Bingo. My sentiments exactly!

With the negativity on this board, why isn't the prevailing mindset that we're a horrible team that plays up to our competition?

WhiteSoxOnly
08-23-2009, 05:26 PM
It'd be a virtual tie if Jenks gets Granderson out in that saturday game, and you want to pretend they're wildly better than the Sox? False , they're equally middle of the road teams.

And if pigs had wings they could fly...Jenks didn't get him out and we ain't
even with them.And the Tiggers are not "wildly" better than us.But they
have been in first the whole damn time.They haven't run away because
up to this point they haven't been good enough to.But we haven't done ****
with our opportunities...does that sound better ?

Patrick134
08-23-2009, 05:28 PM
And if pigs had wings they could fly...Jenks didn't get him out and we ain't
even with them.And the Tiggers are not "wildly" better than us.But they
have been in first the whole damn time.They haven't run away because
up to this point they haven't been good enough to.But we haven't done ****
with our opportunities...does that sound better ?

You saying that both the Sox and Tigers have failed with their opportunities to run away with the division? I can agree with that.

SoxGirl4Life
08-23-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm glad they're going on the road trip. Just think, after this ten games, we'll know exactly where we are.. We either do great and are still in it, or we tank and can start looking at football season.

harwar
08-23-2009, 05:29 PM
what worried me more than anything today was when Hawk was quoting Greg Walker as saying that Beckham is "very coachable" .. this kid remind's me a bit of a right handed George Brett .. maybe Walk should just stay clear

Frater Perdurabo
08-23-2009, 05:30 PM
This team lacks someone who will get in his teammates' faces. Carl Everett and Orlando Cabrera seemed to have this kind of personality. (I'm not advocating signing either.) But not this year. Everyone just gets along. At this rate they can all go golfing and have ice cream together in early October.

Frater Perdurabo
08-23-2009, 05:31 PM
maybe Walk should just stay clear

Maybe Walk should just walk out the door and never return...

eastchicagosoxfan
08-23-2009, 05:34 PM
This team lacks someone who will get in his teammates' faces. Carl Everett and Orlando Cabrera seemed to have this kind of personality. (I'm not advocating signing either.) But not this year. Everyone just gets along. At this rate they can all go golfing and have ice cream together in early October.
Exactly!!! I have a feeling that guy is Beckham, but he's a rookie.

chisoxfanatic
08-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Maybe Walk should just walk out the door and never return...
Someone ought to rent Walker a car in Boston and print out directions for him to drive into Boston Harbor. :angry:

cnw8052
08-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Could this be why Beckham hasn't been hitting like he was?

what worried me more than anything today was when Hawk was quoting Greg Walker as saying that Beckham is "very coachable" .. this kid remind's me a bit of a right handed George Brett .. maybe Walk should just stay clear

WhiteSoxOnly
08-23-2009, 05:40 PM

Paulie,JD,and Thome will organize the ice cream social for you Frater,but
you will have to wait for Kenny to change the makeup of the team a little
longer.Thome is gone and JD is playing his way towards a option buyout at
season's end.Paulie we most likely have for one more year.Quentin might
be your in-the-face guy at some point but only if he stays healthy and starts
hitting like he did last year before losing his one on one with his bat.I do
like your thinking though,it never hurts to have half an ass pushing buttons.

Whitesoxfan23
08-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Ozzie is pretty dissapointed. He said he doesn't see any enthusiasm. That is pretty alarming.

Noneck
08-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Exactly!!! I have a feeling that guy is Beckham, but he's a rookie.

Beckham may, maybe even Quentin but no one will be as long as the choir boy vets are around. PK, JD, Thome and Burls.

chisoxfanatic
08-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Ozzie is pretty dissapointed. He said he doesn't see any enthusiasm. That is pretty alarming.
Well, maybe it's time for him to go on a tirade or something. Bring blow-up dolls into the clubhouse. SOMETHING has to be done! There is still 1 1/3 months left in this season!

Whitesoxfan23
08-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Well, maybe it's time for him to go on a tirade or something. Bring blow-up dolls into the clubhouse. SOMETHING has to be done! There is still 1 1/3 months left in this season!

I completely agree.

35th&Shields
08-23-2009, 05:53 PM
All this pompous bombast and whining is pathetic.

No, all this losing and inconsistent play is pathetic.

Fans can say whatever they want. It's the privilege, and perogative, of being a fan.

WSox597
08-23-2009, 05:54 PM
What worries me is the upcoming starting pitching.

Contreras and Garcia do not exactly instill confidence at this stage of their careers.

The offense has been sporadic all season, nothing new there. I'm just glad the team is rebuilding on the fly like they are.

The middle of the lineup does need to be changed. Anybody with any speed scores from second on a single. Not our three power hitters, it almost never happens.

I imagine Thome will be somewhere else next year, hitting number 600. Probably against the White Sox, off Contreras if he's still around.

Dye I'm not sure about, mixed emotions I guess.

Contreras and Colon, adios muchacos. Jose, thanks for the memories from 2005.

The team has a good core of young players right now, and more in the minors. September 1st is next Tuesday.

I don't know, this could all blow over if they put up good numbers on the big road trip. I'm not optimistic, though.

Procol Harum
08-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Beckham may, maybe even Quentin but no one will be as long as the choir boy vets are around. PK, JD, Thome and Burls.

Yeah, those "choir boys" Dye, Konerko, Thome and Buerhle--what have they ever accomplished since they've been here? We need another Ditka out there to show some fire... :rolleyes:

Noneck
08-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Yeah, those "choir boys" Dye, Konerko, Thome and Buerhle--what have they ever accomplished since they've been here? We need another Ditka out there to show some fire... :rolleyes:

Doing and leading are not the same. If you have been satisfied with the leadership these players have provided since being here, that's ok. I have mentioned before that I think the team needs a strong leader, like Blackjack, Fisk, Ventura etc. We will see if these choir boys can get this team together and finish strong.

DickAllen72
08-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Really. "Ace" shmace.

Procol Harum
08-23-2009, 06:13 PM
Doing and leading are not the same. If you have been satisfied with the leadership these players have provided since being here, that's ok. I have mentioned before that I think the team needs a strong leader, like Blackjack, Fisk, Ventura etc. We will see if these choir boys can get this team together and finish strong.

Admitted that Thome, Dye, and Konerko are basecloggers due to their lack of speed, but the problems with this team lay a lot deeper than these guys. Look to underperforming types like Quentin, Ramirez, Contreras, Colon, Linebrink, the hardly-scintillating thus far Alex Rios--I'd certainly accept what the four "choir boys" have done this year over these six.

Jurr
08-23-2009, 06:19 PM

Leadership and talent are two different things. I'd rather have great talent on a team than great leadership. Who was the leader in 2005? Ozzie. 2008? Ozzie. 2009? Yup.

The 2005 Sox won because they had great pitching top to bottom and players that stepped up when called upon. Konerko put the team on his back offensively in the ALCS. The pitching staff destroyed the Angels, as well. The WS was a collaborative effort.

The Sox don't need intensity. They need to relax and do their jobs. Try hitting a golf ball when you're pissed. You can't. Your mechanics break down because your head is full of junk. This isn't football.

The funny thing about baseball is that rah-rah stuff actually hurts more than it helps. Yes, if guys are showing bad effort or lack of focus, they need a kick in the ass. From an offensive or pitching perspective, mechanics are such a fragile animal that adding intensity usually destroys the purpose.

These guys are going to focus, see the ball, and hit the ball....or they won't. If they don't, they won't go to the playoffs. Getting in people's faces would not help a thing unless there's an effort issue.

Noneck
08-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Admitted that Thome, Dye, and Konerko are basecloggers due to their lack of speed, but the problems with this team lay a lot deeper than these guys. Look to underperforming types like Quentin, Ramirez, Contreras, Colon, Linebrink, the hardly-scintillating thus far Alex Rios--I'd certainly accept what the four "choir boys" have done this year over these six.

The point I am making is not about performing or not performing. It is about leadership. And the leadership that I believe is needed, will not come out from the younger players until the choir boy vets are gone.

fram40
08-23-2009, 06:27 PM
I'm glad they're going on the road trip. Just think, after this ten games, we'll know exactly where we are.. We either do great and are still in it, or we tank and can start looking at football season.

do you really think we'll know where this team is after the Cubs game? REALLY? :tongue:

I suspect they are going to torture us until game 162, and if they can, a game 163 again.

this is so damn frustrating arghh

Tragg
08-23-2009, 06:32 PM
what worried me more than anything today was when hawk was quoting greg walker as saying that beckham is "very coachable" .. This kid remind's me a bit of a right handed george brett .. maybe walk should just stay clear
lol

Noneck
08-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Leadership and talent are two different things. I'd rather have great talent on a team than great leadership. Who was the leader in 2005? Ozzie. 2008? Ozzie. 2009? Yup.

The 2005 Sox won because they had great pitching top to bottom and players that stepped up when called upon. Konerko put the team on his back offensively in the ALCS. The pitching staff destroyed the Angels, as well. The WS was a collaborative effort.

The Sox don't need intensity. They need to relax and do their jobs. Try hitting a golf ball when you're pissed. You can't. Your mechanics break down because your head is full of junk. This isn't football.

The funny thing about baseball is that rah-rah stuff actually hurts more than it helps. Yes, if guys are showing bad effort or lack of focus, they need a kick in the ass. From an offensive or pitching perspective, mechanics are such a fragile animal that adding intensity usually destroys the purpose.

These guys are going to focus, see the ball, and hit the ball....or they won't. If they don't, they won't go to the playoffs. Getting in people's faces would not help a thing unless there's an effort issue.

Ozzie was the leader in 05 but over time his type of leadership wears off. He was new, different and exciting in 05. 08 was a year where they dodged bullet after bullet to get to a game that they had to win and they did. But after that? Nothing much. That's not something I would call leadership.

The things you mentioned are the problem with this team that player leadership can help. Not focusing (mental mistake after mental mistake) may be overcome by strong player leadership. I don't like the lack of player leadership on this team and think management leadership is wearing thin. This team is too talented to be playing the kind of baseball they have been. That's my take.

Brian26
08-23-2009, 06:36 PM

Leave the moderating to the mods.

Calling someone's ideas or opinions pathetic isn't a personal attack.

Brian26
08-23-2009, 06:40 PM

Thanks.

Voodoo beat me to it. Same answer though. You can criticize someone's ideas without attacking them personally.

Brian26
08-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Of course, they'll go on a tear these next 2 weeks and suck me right back in.

Ugh, I can't wait for the Bears to kick-off. Maybe they'll play up to their talent.

We've got an 11-game road trip coming up. It wouldn't shock me to see them go 8-3.

Brian26
08-23-2009, 06:42 PM

Keep "whining" too.

Brian26
08-23-2009, 06:44 PM
It's like smoking crack. You know it's bad, but you can't stop doing it.

Wow, there's a relateable metaphor. :rolleyes:

Brian26
08-23-2009, 06:45 PM

Yes.

Crede24Thome25
08-23-2009, 06:56 PM

I am sick of being a fan of Detroit's opponents instead of this sad group of players.

I can honestly say I wish he never threw that damn Perfect Game.:angry:

Marqhead
08-23-2009, 07:09 PM

I've seen a lot of **** posts on this board, this one ranks pretty high up there.

Konerko05
08-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Middle of the lineup is really bad right now.

SI1020
08-23-2009, 07:17 PM
"Ace" is the the most ambiguous term in all of baseball lexicon. By any standard, aside from the purely subjective blabbering by crybaby psychopaths, he is truly one of the best pitchers in baseball.

Remember when C.C. Sabathia got torched by the Orioles earlier this year? I guess he's not an ace, either? Psychopaths? Is that your opinion of anyone who happens to disagree with you on a given subject? I could name a couple dozen aces past and present off the top of my head, and Mark Buerhle ain't one of them? Way too streaky.

ms620
08-23-2009, 07:41 PM

Remember when C.C. Sabathia got torched by the Orioles earlier this year? I guess he's not an ace, either?

Its ridiculous that you would use the word "psychopath" to describe someone who does not agree with you. It makes your points seem worthless when you cannot back up your statements with sound arguments, but instead choose to insult posters who have differeing opinions. When you say one of the best pitchers in baseball what does that mean? Top 10? Top 20? Top 50? Why is it such a big deal to say he is not an "ace"? He is a geat #2/3 in my opinion...I think Floyd will be the 2 next year. I disagree with you, but it does not make me a psychopath. The fact that you are a moderator and you choose to respond to members like that is PATHETIC.

Brian26
08-23-2009, 07:49 PM

This is entertaining.

SoxFan1979
08-23-2009, 07:50 PM
I'm done with this team for the year. Bring on the Bears!

Whitesoxfan23
08-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Its ridiculous that you would use the word "psychopath" to describe someone who does not agree with you. It makes your points seem worthless when you cannot back up your statements with sound arguments, but instead choose to insult posters who have differeing opinions. When you say one of the best pitchers in baseball what does that mean? Top 10? Top 20? Top 50? Why is it such a big deal to say he is not an "ace"? He is a geat #2/3 in my opinion...I think Floyd will be the 2 next year. I disagree with you, but it does not make me a psychopath. The fact that you are a moderator and you choose to respond to members like that is PATHETIC.

AMEN. Potw

Thatguyoverthere
08-23-2009, 07:54 PM
We've got an 11-game road trip coming up. It wouldn't shock me to see them go 8-3.Considering the Sox have the third best record in the MLB against teams with winning records, I wouldn't be surprised either. Your 2009 White Sox - We can dominate the Yankees, Angels, and Rays, but we **** our pants against the Royals, Orioles, and A's. I honestly don't get it. :scratch:

eastchicagosoxfan
08-23-2009, 07:55 PM
This is entertaining.
How do you know and why are you so certain? Perhaps he's trying to emulate his seemingly effortless performance, and he's lost that little edge?

Brian26
08-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Psychopaths? Is that your opinion of anyone who happens to disagree with you on a given subject? I could name a couple dozen aces past and present off the top of my head, and Mark Buerhle ain't one of them? Way too streaky.

I can name several aces from the past and present too:

David Wells
Bartolo Colon
Esteban Loaiza
Freddy Garcia
Jose Contreras
Jake Peavy

Meanwhile, Buehrle keeps rolling along. Greatest White Sox pitcher of our generation. He's never spent a day on the DL that I can recall. He's good for 200 IP and 14-19 wins every year depending on the amount of run support he gets. Four time All-Star, no hitter, perfect game, dependable as any pitcher in Sox since maybe Wilbur Wood in the mid 70s.

I'll take Buehrle as my ace any day of the week.

Brian26
08-23-2009, 08:02 PM
How do you know and why are you so certain? Perhaps he's trying to emulate his seemingly effortless performance, and he's lost that little edge?

You believe that the 7-23-09 game somehow has magically changed Buehrle's moxy or direction on the mound, to the point that you wish the 18th perfect game in MLB history never happened, even though Buehrle has a history of three-to-four week dead-arm periods since his career began here?

The ends don't justify the means. It was a sensationalistic comment.

DirtySox
08-23-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm done with this team for the year. Bring on the Bears!

Bye

thomas35forever
08-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Good grief. Posters are attacking posters, moderators, and trying to moderate themselves. And whoever said the perfect game should never have happened isn't thinking like a true baseball fan. Regardless of what happens the rest of the season, a perfect game happens only once in a great while, and if you're not happy with baseball history that happens with someone on your team, then I just feel sorry for you.

JB98
08-23-2009, 08:19 PM
There was a noticeable lack of enthusiasm today in the stadium. Dead team on the field, dead crowd. From the second inning on, I was yelling at the players, "This game counts in the standings! Play like it matters!"

Now, I've gotten home and heard Ozzie's postgame comments. He made note of the lack of energy as well. The lack of urgency is very disappointing, but not surprising.

The fact that the Tigers also lost really doesn't do anything for me. I'm not concerned about the Tigers. I am concerned about my team, which has yet to show me that they are capable of being more than a .500 team.

Sheesh. I really don't enjoy going out to the ballpark this year. They are just terrible on Sunday afternoons. Just terrible.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-23-2009, 08:20 PM
You believe that the 7-23-09 game somehow has magically changed Buehrle's moxy or direction on the mound, to the point that you wish the 18th perfect game in MLB history never happened, even though Buehrle has a history of three-to-four week dead-arm periods since his career began here?
The ends don't justify the means. It was a sensationalistic comment.

The game is more mental than physical. I don't wish the perfect game hadn't happened (I never said anything of the sort) but he hasnt been the same pitcher since the Twins game. Maybe he has a bit of a dead arm, although his statements to the media indicate otherwise (He could certainly lie to the media, and his coaches too, but I suspect his coaches will see through him first). Maybe he asks himself why he can't make every pitch, because it seems so easy at times, and he tries too hard to get on that edge he was on for the perfect game and the first half of the Twins game. The problem is, once he falls off, is he over-compensating trying to get back on? Or is he better off "forgetting" about the perfect game, mentally-- from a pitching stand point, and just get back to basics, whatever they may be?

Whitesoxfan23
08-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Good grief. Posters are attacking posters, moderators, and trying to moderate themselves. And whoever said the perfect game should never have happened isn't thinking like a true baseball fan. Regardless of what happens the rest of the season, a perfect game happens only once in a great while, and if you're not happy with baseball history that happens with someone on your team, then I just feel sorry for you.

You forgot that one of the mods attacked the posters.

illinifan1368
08-23-2009, 08:43 PM
You forgot that one of the mods attacked the posters.
I think everyone around here needs to just take a deep breath. The Sox are a frustrating team, but we have to remember that we are all fans and there is no reason to attack one another. I've been a lurker around here for a long time and I have never seen so much hostility. Mods are attacking posters and vice versa. Everyone is a little stressed out so let's all just watch this video and smile...http://bluefoot.tv/videos/video/80

:) GO SOX!! :)

Brian26
08-23-2009, 08:43 PM
The game is more mental than physical. I don't wish the perfect game hadn't happened (I never said anything of the sort)

Somebody DID say that, and it was a comical comment, which I pointed out. No need to try to lure me into a side argument.

Gosh, I wish the 2005 season never happened because my expectations would be lower about this team.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Somebody DID say that, and it was a comical comment, which I pointed out. No need to try to lure me into a side argument.

Gosh, I wish the 2005 season never happened because my expectations would be lower about this team.
I never attempted to lure you into a side arguement. My statement is rather simple. Buerhle's ineffectiveness is more a mental issue than a physical one. As for the tealed statement, it's pure nonsense, and I'm wondering why it's attached to my statement?

palehozenychicty
08-23-2009, 09:31 PM
We just aren't that good. :(:

TomBradley72
08-23-2009, 09:37 PM
It's the peak of the pennant race....our veterans need to be stepping up...but we have four of nine regulars who are really stinking up the place for the month of August:

Konerko: .200, Dye: .203, Rios: .216, Nix: .224...you don't catch a team in front of you when you're getting that level of production from your starters.

Buehrle: 6.03 ERA, Contreras: 6.75, Linebrink: 7.88, Garcia: 10.38....same with the pitching.

Too many veterans are NOT coming through when we need them the most.

hawkjt
08-23-2009, 09:49 PM
I keep coming back to the same ole issue...PK and JD. Finally a bit of life from PK with the last inning double, but I have not seen him look homerish in over a month.
Now, we go thru these kinds of frustrating stretches often in april and may, in fact,we did this year, and they do usually come out of it..lets hope it is not too late.

If they do not come out of it this year, maybe it signals that the end is near for guys like JD and PK and Thome(altho he had a good series, to be fair).
As for MB,he is in a funk outside of the Seattle game, which I kind of throw out since that place is just plain hard to score in. He will bounce back eventually, again hopefully not too late. Remember his 3-12 start that year? Finished like 15-13 or something like that. I think the popgun teams like KC and O's give him more problems that the big swingers like Boston and NY...that is my story and I am sticking to it.

Glad I wait to post on here after a game like this..and that I have swore off attending sunday games, last nite was fun,today would have been a visit to the dentist. Go get'em in Beantown,Sox.

08-23-2009, 10:01 PM

So because many pundits picked the Sox to be 3rd or 4th in the division, we don't have a right to be upset that the team is playing WAY below their talent on paper and lose to a pitcher that is 2-11? GMAB.

If you use that logic, we all should be furious that this team is playing .500 baseball despite a top 10 payroll.

Patrick134
08-23-2009, 10:04 PM
So because many pundits picked the Sox to be 3rd or 4th in the division, we don't have a right to be upset that the team is playing WAY below their talent on paper and lose to a pitcher that is 2-11? GMAB.

If you use that logic, we all should be furious that this team is playing .500 baseball despite a top 10 payroll.

They had the same talent on paper when they were picked to finish 4th.

08-23-2009, 10:05 PM
And I am really sick of doing that!

You might want to add Guthrie X2 as well

08-23-2009, 10:07 PM
They had the same talent on paper when they were picked to finish 4th.

Right. Adding Rios, Beckham, and Podsednik did nothing to change to complexion of the team :rolleyes:

JB98
08-23-2009, 10:16 PM
The Sox are picked to finish fourth every year. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. :scratch:

The division is winnable, and the Sox to this point have kicked away a lot of opportunities.

ChiSoxGirl
08-23-2009, 10:50 PM
There was a noticeable lack of enthusiasm today in the stadium. Dead team on the field, dead crowd. From the second inning on, I was yelling at the players, "This game counts in the standings! Play like it matters!"

Now, I've gotten home and heard Ozzie's postgame comments. He made note of the lack of energy as well. The lack of urgency is very disappointing, but not surprising.

The fact that the Tigers also lost really doesn't do anything for me. I'm not concerned about the Tigers. I am concerned about my team, which has yet to show me that they are capable of being more than a .500 team.

Sheesh. I really don't enjoy going out to the ballpark this year. They are just terrible on Sunday afternoons. Just terrible.

They are? I hadn't noticed. :wink:

LoveYourSuit
08-23-2009, 10:56 PM
This is by far the most talent I have seen by a Sox team who barely plays .500 baseball. The 2006 team had a bunch more talen but there were two buses standing in the way in Minn and Det that season. There was and excuse that season, the division was the best in baseball and 90 wins did not get us in.

If this team does not get into post season with the additions of Peavy and Rios, it will be the biggest dissapointment in my lifetime right next to the 1984 season. It would be a tragedy.

Make no mistake. The talent is there by plenty to win 90 games and run away with this thing. Kenny has given Ozzie and Co the Mercedez and they are driving it like a Dodge Neon.

I point the finger at the Manager and coaches. This team is not prepared to compete every night out there. There are only two flaws here; mental and catching the ball. Might as well not even show up to Spring training the way these clowns are running that camp.

We have a ton of young talent coming up from the farm here soon, I have no trust in anybody from this coaching staff to make these guys into complete ball players.

At some point, Reinsdorf has to wonder how $90+ million per season in pay-roll can suck this bad. It's not the players Jerry, it's the philosophy coming from that bench.

Get this ****ing thing together guys.

Unreal.

doublem23
08-23-2009, 11:42 PM

:rolling:

Ri. Dic. U. Lous.

Hitmen77
08-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Remember at the beginning of the season when all the Walker haters were calling for his job? Where are they now that the Sox offense is......oh, wait a minute.

We didn't waste any time with our pathetic play by stranding the runner on 2nd with nobody out. If he scores, it would have been a tied game after 9.

Also, if Buehrle doesn't snap out of his slump soon, we can pretty much forget about the post season anyway. There is no way Danks and Floyd alone can carry this already flawed team across the finish line.

doublem23
08-23-2009, 11:51 PM
I never attempted to lure you into a side arguement. My statement is rather simple. Buerhle's ineffectiveness is more a mental issue than a physical one. As for the tealed statement, it's pure nonsense, and I'm wondering why it's attached to my statement?

Even with this recent bought of "ineffectiveness," Buehrle's ERA is 3.92, good enough for Top 20 in the American League over 1/2 run better than the league average. He's still an exceptional pitcher, who is just going through a rough patch. Baseball's not some meathead sport like football where you can make sweeping generalizations based on 1 game's worth of data, it is a sophisticated, intricate game that requires patience.

Not aimed at the poster I quoted, but if anyone really thinks today's six innings of work, or even his last couple starts, "define" his legacy then quite frankly your opinion is irrelevant to anyone actually having an educated conversation about baseball because you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. And, next time he comes out and throws 8 solid innings in a win, you'll all be kissing his feet, talking about what a great pitcher Buehrle is.

voodoochile
08-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Big picture, the Sox are in the same place today they were on Friday. Yeah, it would have been nice to pick up a game, but it didn't happen.

Win, they're in, don't they aren't.

The rest is for ****s and giggles...

08-23-2009, 11:57 PM
Big picture, the Sox are in the same place today they were on Friday. Yeah, it would have been nice to pick up a game, but it didn't happen.

Win, they're in, don't they aren't.

The rest is for ****s and giggles...

Exactly. I'm going to be pretty upset if we don't win the division, but I'm already getting excited about these next 3 years of a Peavy-Buehrle-Danks-Floyd rotation. Add a somewhat decent starter in the #5 spot and it should be 3 straight division titles from 2010-2012. It is the future that will be exciting.

guillensdisciple
08-24-2009, 01:07 AM
So, I just came back from my two week hiatus in a completely different world only to find out two things: The Sox are exactly where I left them in the standings, and we somehow picked up Alex Rios.

I am not that happy about the first one, but not mad either since we still have time to make up for it (and I came back in time to see Peavy make his first start). I am ECSTATIC about the Rios pick-up, and would like to hear how it happened and how he has done since then.

Happy to be back with all you greats at WSI, and I hope this final month and change will provide all of us with some great memories!

BadBobbyJenks
08-24-2009, 01:14 AM

Well lets not be ridiculous. They could have lost every game for the rest of the year and I would still look back at this season fondly for being a witness to that historical day.

october23sp
08-24-2009, 02:07 AM
So... uhhh... Buehrle kinda sucks.

jabrch
08-24-2009, 02:39 AM
This thread is completely ridiculous.

soltrain21
08-24-2009, 03:10 AM
So... uhhh... Buehrle kinda sucks.

While this team is completely maddening - you jump off the cliff every chance you get.

SBSoxFan
08-24-2009, 06:55 AM
Even with this recent bought of "ineffectiveness," Buehrle's ERA is 3.92, good enough for Top 20 in the American League over 1/2 run better than the league average. He's still an exceptional pitcher, who is just going through a rough patch. Baseball's not some meathead sport like football where you can make sweeping generalizations based on 1 game's worth of data, it is a sophisticated, intricate game that requires patience.

Not aimed at the poster I quoted, but if anyone really thinks today's six innings of work, or even his last couple starts, "define" his legacy then quite frankly your opinion is irrelevant to anyone actually having an educated conversation about baseball because you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. And, next time he comes out and throws 8 solid innings in a win, you'll all be kissing his feet, talking about what a great pitcher Buehrle is.

Buehrle's been the Sox number 1 guy for most of his career, and, in that role, he's 39 games over 500 for his career, while pitching for mostly mediocre teams. How is that not an ace?

Despite not winning since the perfect game, he: 1) Threw 5-2/3 perfect innings in Minnesota, then the defense let him down, 2) Threw 8 shutout innings in Seattle, 3) Was in line to get the win at home against Kansas City until Linebrink gave up the 3 run homer.

Anyway, giving up 5 runs to Baltimore should still be a win. I can't blame the pitching when it's had to cover for the offense all season. Eventually it'll probably give, and the offense has to cover the pitching at some point. It's not like the pitching put them in a huge hole yesterday either. The Sox were only down 2 runs after 5 innings.

CWS = Can't Win on Sundays. :scratch::angry:

The Immigrant
08-24-2009, 09:20 AM
Even with this recent bought of "ineffectiveness," Buehrle's ERA is 3.92, good enough for Top 20 in the American League over 1/2 run better than the league average. He's still an exceptional pitcher, who is just going through a rough patch.

Rough patch indeed. Here's his line since the July 23 perfect game: 37.2 IP, 54 H, 7 BB, 12 K, and 26 RA - and this includes the 5 2/3 perfect innings in Minnesota.

Craptastic.

ChicagoHoosier
08-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Does this remind anyone of last year? Except we were ahead instead of behind, but losing games we should've won but the other team kept us in it?

Eerily the same.

Hopefully same result and we win when needed in September. A poster wrote last week, it's not the next 10 games that will make or break us. It's the next 10 games that will determine if the final two weeks will make or break us. Let's hope we are in the same spot in two weeks (2.5 back) as we are now and it then comes down to playing the Tigers, Twins, and Tribe to win it.

spawn
08-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Pretty much.

kittle42
08-24-2009, 12:06 PM

Pretty much.

Much like the Sox' performance against sub-par teams!

Craig Grebeck
08-24-2009, 12:14 PM
I keep coming back to the same ole issue...PK and JD. Finally a bit of life from PK with the last inning double, but I have not seen him look homerish in over a month.
Now, we go thru these kinds of frustrating stretches often in april and may, in fact,we did this year, and they do usually come out of it..lets hope it is not too late.

If they do not come out of it this year, maybe it signals that the end is near for guys like JD and PK and Thome(altho he had a good series, to be fair).
As for MB,he is in a funk outside of the Seattle game, which I kind of throw out since that place is just plain hard to score in. He will bounce back eventually, again hopefully not too late. Remember his 3-12 start that year? Finished like 15-13 or something like that. I think the popgun teams like KC and O's give him more problems that the big swingers like Boston and NY...that is my story and I am sticking to it.

Glad I wait to post on here after a game like this..and that I have swore off attending sunday games, last nite was fun,today would have been a visit to the dentist. Go get'em in Beantown,Sox.
You really should not stick to that story, as it is wrong.

Career vs. BAL: 2.72 ERA in 86 IP
Career vs. BOS: 4.71 ERA in 80.1 IP
Career vs. KC: 3.47 ERA in 272.2 IP
Career vs. NYY: 6.84 ERA in 50 IP

salty99
08-24-2009, 12:24 PM
Bring back the tarp slide!

Foulke You
08-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Does this remind anyone of last year? Except we were ahead instead of behind, but losing games we should've won but the other team kept us in it?

Eerily the same.

Hopefully same result and we win when needed in September. A poster wrote last week, it's not the next 10 games that will make or break us. It's the next 10 games that will determine if the final two weeks will make or break us. Let's hope we are in the same spot in two weeks (2.5 back) as we are now and it then comes down to playing the Tigers, Twins, and Tribe to win it.
Good observation. In fact, these post game threads are eerily similar to the ones from 2008 down the stretch last year. Both teams had good pitching and a wildly inconsistent offense. I'd give the defensive edge to the 2008 team by a nose. This 2009 group of White Sox has shown that they are a resilient bunch though. There were many times this season where they could have folded but have stayed in the race. I wouldn't be surprised if we somehow snuck into the playoffs. I also wouldn't be surprised if we faded in September. In any case, at least we are playing meaningful baseball at the end of the season. This is more than a lot of other baseball fans have right now.

JB98
08-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Good observation. In fact, these post game threads are eerily similar to the ones from 2008 down the stretch last year. Both teams had good pitching and a wildly inconsistent offense. I'd give the defensive edge to the 2008 team by a nose. This 2009 group of White Sox has shown that they are a resilient bunch though. There were many times this season where they could have folded but have stayed in the race. I wouldn't be surprised if we somehow snuck into the playoffs. I also wouldn't be surprised if we faded in September. In any case, at least we are playing meaningful baseball at the end of the season. This is more than a lot of other baseball fans have right now.

Only by a nose? I thought last year's club was much better defensively.

The other main difference between this year and last year is Carlos Quentin. He was the best player in the league before he got hurt last year. This year, he's been a combination of hurt and bad.

The Sox need 2008 TCQ to appear in order to win this thing. I don't get the sense that Dye and Konerko are going to carry us over the finish line. Quentin had a good homestand, so hopefully that's a start.

Craig Grebeck
08-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Only by a nose? I thought last year's club was much better defensively.

The other main difference between this year and last year is Carlos Quentin. He was the best player in the league before he got hurt last year. This year, he's been a combination of hurt and bad.

The Sox need 2008 TCQ to appear in order to win this thing. I don't get the sense that Dye and Konerko are going to carry us over the finish line. Quentin had a good homestand, so hopefully that's a start.
He's put up a .899 OPS in August, so he's certainly been doing his part.

The Immigrant
08-24-2009, 02:36 PM
I don't get the sense that Dye and Konerko are going to carry us over the finish line.

Here's Dye's batting line over the last 30 days: .188/.303/.259. Yes, that's .259 slugging. He has only 2 extra-base hits (both HR) in the last 23 games.

Waysouthsider
08-24-2009, 07:55 PM
As my son says it would be "sweet" to have Carlos back in prime form....plus, I agree with JD....what' up with him? Maybe his head is wacked out after they picked up Rios?