PDA

View Full Version : Phillies win on unassisted triple play

gobears1987
08-23-2009, 03:15 PM
The Phillies just beat the Mets on an unassisted triple play by the second baseman. That isn't an everyday event to say the least.

I just caught the end of that one on the radio since my Hillel director had the game on his computer with MLB audio. He's crying right now.

DonnieDarko
08-23-2009, 03:20 PM
LOLMets?

Hitmen77
08-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Out of curiosity, I looked up the list of unassisted triple plays in MLB history. I remember back in the 1990s when Mickey Morandi had the first one in the NL since the 1920s. :o:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unassisted_triple_play

Interesting that there have now been 5 unassisted triple plays this decade. Before that, the most recent 4 in MLB were in 1994, 1992, 1968, and 1927!!

doublem23
08-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Bruntlett, the guy who had the triple play, made two defensive blunders (not 100% sure if both were ruled errors) in the 9th to set the whole thing up.

Got to love baseball.

gobears1987
08-23-2009, 11:46 PM
Bruntlett, the guy who had the triple play, made two defensive blunders (not 100% sure if both were ruled errors) in the 9th to set the whole thing up.

Got to love baseball.That's basically the equivalent of Linebrink blowing a lead only to pick up a W as he did on Monday.

Marqhead
08-23-2009, 11:48 PM
That's basically the equivalent of Linebrink blowing a lead only to pick up a W as he did on Monday.

Not quite, Linebrink would have had to do something positive for these to be similar.

doublem23
08-23-2009, 11:51 PM
That's basically the equivalent of Linebrink blowing a lead only to pick up a W as he did on Monday.

Except that I've seen a guy blow a lead and then vulture the W already 100+ times in my life, and I'm only 25.

gobears1987
08-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Except that I've seen a guy blow a lead and then vulture the W already 100+ times in my life, and I'm only 25.
Of course that is true. I would doubt that any of the previous unassisted triple plays in MLB history were the result of two runners being put on by defensive miscues by the same player who turned the triple play.

PKalltheway
08-24-2009, 12:24 AM
Wow, crazy ending. It's even crazier that there have been five in this decade. Heck, now it will probably be another 40 years before we see another one.:tongue:

I also found it ironic that there were six turned in the 1920s.

Railsplitter
08-24-2009, 09:20 AM
I also found it ironic that there were six turned in the 1920s.
Does that figure include the one from the 1920 World Series?

Johnny Mostil
08-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Out of curiosity, I looked up the list of unassisted triple plays in MLB history. I remember back in the 1990s when Mickey Morandi had the first one in the NL since the 1920s. :o:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unassisted_triple_play

Interesting that there have now been 5 unassisted triple plays this decade. Before that, the most recent 4 in MLB were in 1994, 1992, 1968, and 1927!!

That is a very interesting list. Not only were this six such plays in the 1920s (including Wambsganss in the World Series), there were two on consecutive days: May 30, 1927 by Jimmy Cooney of the Cubs, and May 31, 1927 by Johnny Neun of the Tigers.

Twelve of the 15 were like yesterday's: caught line drive, tagged second, tagged runner. Two of the 15 were caught line drive, tagged runner, tagged second.

The exception was Neun's, also the only other to end a game: caught line drive, tagged first, tagged runner. How on earth did he do that? Did he run him down somewhere between second and home?

PKalltheway
08-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Does that figure include the one from the 1920 World Series?
Yes sir.

TommyJohn
08-24-2009, 12:41 PM
That is a very interesting list. Not only were this six such plays in the 1920s (including Wambsganss in the World Series), there were two on consecutive days: May 30, 1927 by Jimmy Cooney of the Cubs, and May 31, 1927 by Johnny Neun of the Tigers.

Twelve of the 15 were like yesterday's: caught line drive, tagged second, tagged runner. Two of the 15 were caught line drive, tagged runner, tagged second.

The exception was Neun's, also the only other to end a game: caught line drive, tagged first, tagged runner. How on earth did he do that? Did he run him down somewhere between second and home?If I remember my trivia correctly, Jimmy Cooney participated in two UTPs. Two years before pulling off his own play he was caught off base in another one in 1925 (don't remember the guy who did it).

But Kerry Wood's 20 strikeout game was still the most impressive, awesomest feat ever.

Johnny Mostil
08-24-2009, 01:30 PM
If I remember my trivia correctly, Jimmy Cooney participated in two UTPs. Two years before pulling off his own play he was caught off base in another one in 1925 (don't remember the guy who did it).

You're daring to call this trivia?!?:wink:

You may at least be right about Cooney. The Wikipedia link shows Glenn Wright of the Pirates had an unassisted triple play against the Cardinals in the top of the ninth on May 7, 1925. (That's a third triple play to occur in the 9th inning, but it did not end the game.) Unfortunately, the retrosheet box score to which it links does not have a play-by-play listing, but it does show Cooney was at short and batted second for the Cards that day.

BTW, it appears somebody has updated the Wikipedia description of the Neun triple play. Apparently he also beat the returning runner to second.

TommyJohn
08-24-2009, 05:27 PM
You're daring to call this trivia?!?:wink:

You may at least be right about Cooney. The Wikipedia link shows Glenn Wright of the Pirates had an unassisted triple play against the Cardinals in the top of the ninth on May 7, 1925. (That's a third triple play to occur in the 9th inning, but it did not end the game.) Unfortunately, the retrosheet box score to which it links does not have a play-by-play listing, but it does show Cooney was at short and batted second for the Cards that day.

BTW, it appears somebody has updated the Wikipedia description of the Neun triple play. Apparently he also beat the returning runner to second.
I still have a copy of "The Sporting News Book of Baseball Trivia" published in 1982. That is where I read that Cooney was one of the runners on base when Wright's triple play happened.

A couple of other interesting things:

Wambsganss' (sp?) triple play remains the only triple play in World Series (and maybe all of postseason) history.

Jimmy Cooney and Johnny Neun performed their feats within one day of each other. The next UTP did not happen for 41 years-Ron Hansen in 1968.

Future White Sox coach Dave Nelson was one of the Indians on base when Hansen pulled off his triple play.

Three days after the play, Hansen was traded to the White Sox for Tim Cullen (for whom he had been traded to the Senators the previous winter.)

slavko
08-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Just saw this one. It's the reason some managers won't run on 3-2 with no outs and 2 men on. In this case the runner moving to second base took Bruntlett right to the bag where the line drive was hit to. You've heard of running into a double play, right? Well, this was a triple play.