PDA

View Full Version : FWIW: Red Sox Will Start Wakefield Wednesday

SCCWS
08-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Brad Penny has been replaced by Tim Wakefield coming off DL on Wednesday. Penny has been lit up lately so this may be a negative for White Sox. Feeling was Wakefield would be best starting against a team w/o speed since his main concern in rehab starts was fielding. Fair to say we don't have much bunting prowess.

Gavin
08-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Hmm... we're not that slow...

TDog
08-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Brad Penny has been replaced by Tim Wakefield coming off DL on Wednesday. Penny has been lit up lately so this may be a negative for White Sox. Feeling was Wakefield would be best starting against a team w/o speed since his main concern in rehab starts was fielding. Fair to say we don't have much bunting prowess.

It is incorrect to say the White Sox have no speed. The White Sox have speed at the bottom and top of the order, but don't have speed in the middle.

I don't think it's at all fair to say the Sox don't have any bunting prowess.

hawkjt
08-23-2009, 09:51 PM
I hope we do better than the Cubs vs Haeger. The way we are swinging, not sure it can screw us up even more, but if possible this could do it.
Just have to hope he is rusty and lacking command of his knuckler and the Sox are patient enough to take some pitches.

I am glad we miss Beckett but these first two pitching matchups look like heavily favoring Bosox. And really if we do not hit, they could sweep our butts out of there. Bucholz and Lester and the Japanese guy have been good lately. Jose needs to be our hero and give us a chance, while Freddy needs to just hang on for dear life..then Gavin and Johnny have to outmonster the green monster. oh brother...go Angels and O's!

chisoxfanatic
08-23-2009, 10:08 PM
Wasn't it Kotsay that was said to be pretty good at hitting knuckleballers? If that's the case, then start him Wednesday over Konerko.

akingamongstmen
08-24-2009, 09:27 AM
Sign Frank Thomas to a one day contract. I'm only half-kidding on this one. He would go 4-4 with 2 HRs against Wakefield. He always seemed to kill his knuckleball.

oeo
08-24-2009, 01:05 PM
A couple of things:
1. It's his first start back, so it's likely that he's not as sharp. If he can't get it over the plate, he won't be out there very long.
2. Victor Martinez will be catching him, and he's never caught a knuckleballer before...it may not be pretty.

Freddy looked okay in his first start, just threw way too many pitches. That was against KC, who he always struggles against. If you don't think he'll be up for Boston, you're crazy.

TDog
08-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Sign Frank Thomas to a one day contract. I'm only half-kidding on this one. He would go 4-4 with 2 HRs against Wakefield. He always seemed to kill his knuckleball.

Thomas had a career batting average of .268 against Wakefield. He hit seven home runs against Wakefield, three in one game, but he struck out 16 times in 56 at bats. His great games against Wakefield were a very long time ago.

It doesn't look like anyone on the current White Sox roster has had success against Wakefield (Quentin and Beckham have never faced him) witht he exception of Pierzynski, who has a lifetime batting average of .292. Rios and Kotsay each have homered and tripled against him -- Rios has three home runs -- but Kotsay has just four hits (the cycle, but not in the same game) in 18 at bats. Podsednik is hitless in four at bats with no walks. Thome has an average of .154, but among his eight hits are three doubles and three home runs.

Paulwny
08-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Freddy looked okay in his first start, just threw way too many pitches. That was against KC, who he always struggles against. If you don't think he'll be up for Boston, you're crazy.

Freddy should be up for every game, his MLB career is on the line.

everafan
08-24-2009, 02:07 PM

No speed? Do the Red Sox think they re facing the White Sox team that they last faced a year ago? If their scouting is that bad then I like our chances.

jabrch
08-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Nice to see the Sox get a 4 game set vs Boston and miss Beckett.

KenBerryGrab
08-24-2009, 03:02 PM
It doesn't look like anyone on the current White Sox roster has had success against Wakefield (Quentin and Beckham have never faced him) witht he exception of Pierzynski, who has a lifetime batting average of .292. Rios and Kotsay each have homered and tripled against him -- Rios has three home runs -- but Kotsay has just four hits (the cycle, but not in the same game) in 18 at bats. Podsednik is hitless in four at bats with no walks. Thome has an average of .154, but among his eight hits are three doubles and three home runs.

Don't forget Paulie taking him deep for the lead in Game 3 of the ALDS.

chisox616
08-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Nice to see the Sox get a 4 game set vs Boston and miss Beckett.

That might not turn out to be a good thing, considering how bad Beckett has looked lately.

DumpJerry
08-24-2009, 04:08 PM
If it is not a humid day, the knuckleball is worthless.

SCCWS
08-24-2009, 04:12 PM
If it is not a humid day, the knuckleball is worthless.

Wakefield made the All-Star team based on his first half performance. There is very little humidity in Boston in the spring. But there is usually wind blowing in behind him which is what affects a knucklball pitcher.

TDog
08-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Don't forget Paulie taking him deep for the lead in Game 3 of the ALDS.

Wow, I had forgotten that game, the stats for which don't go into the regular season matchup totals. Podsednik doubled to drive in Uribe with the game's first run and scored on a Dye hit in against Wakefield.

Garcia started for the White Sox and got the win. Jenks got the save, but as even I remember, the real savior out of the bullpen was Hernandez.

As I understand it from watching Wilbur Wood almost 40 years ago, knuckleballs get more movement when the wind is blowing in the pitcher's face. They tend to get less movement when the wind is blowing out. I believe the physics behind it is akin to an airpane tailwind. You shorten your runway when you land with a tailwind, so airplanes land into the wind. The wind blowing in diminishes the air resistance that causes the knuckleball to break. Because it doesn't have the speed of other pitches, wind has a greater effect on the pitch.

So while a knuckleball is actually slower when thrown with the wind blowing out and may indeed look like it is sitting up on a tee on a day when fly balls are more apt to leave the park, the break will be more sudden and sharp. With a strong wind blowing in, a knuckleball can resemble batting practice tosses.

SCCWS
08-24-2009, 05:11 PM
As I understand it from watching Wilbur Wood almost 40 years ago, knuckleballs get more movement when the wind is blowing in the pitcher's face. They tend to get less movement when the wind is blowing out. I believe the physics behind it is akin to an airpane tailwind. You shorten your runway when you land with a tailwind, so airplanes land into the wind. The wind blowing in diminishes the air resistance that causes the knuckleball to break. Because it doesn't have the speed of other pitches, wind has a greater effect on the pitch.

So while a knuckleball is actually slower when thrown with the wind blowing out and may indeed look like it is sitting up on a tee on a day when fly balls are more apt to leave the park, the break will be more sudden and sharp. With a strong wind blowing in, a knuckleball can resemble batting practice tosses.

Not sure if you have been to Fenway. Stands go straight up behind home plate. So a fly ball will be affected by the wind blowing out when a ball is hit up into the air. But the wind will rarely blow into a pitchers face in Fenway and many other parks because the stands block it. But from the outfield the distance to the mound will allow an effect. Boston has the high left-field wall so most wind behind a pitcher is coming in a center/right to home/third direction. More of a cross-wind. But in August there has been very little breeze in Fenway for most of games.

asindc
08-24-2009, 05:15 PM
No speed? Do the Red Sox think they re facing the White Sox team that they last faced a year ago? If their scouting is that bad then I like our chances.

Exactly what I was thinking. Hell, a quick look at the stats should tell them more than that. Well, good. Maybe they think Quentin is still on the DL.

SOXfnNlansing
08-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Rowand used to own him.

TDog
08-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Not sure if you have been to Fenway. Stands go straight up behind home plate. So a fly ball will be affected by the wind blowing out when a ball is hit up into the air. But the wind will rarely blow into a pitchers face in Fenway and many other parks because the stands block it. But from the outfield the distance to the mound will allow an effect. Boston has the high left-field wall so most wind behind a pitcher is coming in a center/right to home/third direction. More of a cross-wind. But in August there has been very little breeze in Fenway for most of games.

If there is no wind to affect a pitch, it won't matter to a knuckleball pitcher has the wind blowing in or out. He won't get his greatest movement if the pitches don't meet a headwind resistance. If hitters center the ball, prevailing winds aloft won't affect the hard hit balls.

If the wind doesn't affect pitches at Fenway, it is irrelevant for Wakefield whether the wind is blowing in or out. And the wind wouldn't have been the reason he was pitching well at Fenway early in the season.