PDA

View Full Version : How to be a White Sox fan

MARTINMVP
08-23-2009, 12:50 PM
This is pretty fun to read from eHow.com - I find it by accident when I was on Google looking for some other team history information. Some of the general rules are to hate-hate-hate the Cubs, support the south side of town, etc.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2151018_be-white-sox-fan.html

Agree/Disagree with any of the rules?

Soxgirl22
08-23-2009, 12:55 PM
I agree with all the rules in general, it's one of the descriptions I don't like.

A true White Sox fan often cares more about the Cubs losing than about the White Sox winning. - While I root for the Cubs to lose, that certainly isn't true. Plus, I actually root for the Twins to lose more than I do the Cubs.

voodoochile
08-23-2009, 12:56 PM
My opinion is it's a lot of bull****. The top two reasons are about the flubbies. That's simply ridiculous...

MARTINMVP
08-23-2009, 12:58 PM
My opinion is it's a lot of bull****. The top two reasons are about the flubbies. That's simply ridiculous...

Agree with you 100%. In all honestly, I wish it didn't mention the Cubs whatsoever. For all the crap Sox fans give to Cub fans, the list of rules makes it seem like Sox fans care more about the Cubs losing than the Sox winning. What kind of baseball fan would you be if you cared about another team over yours?

ChicagoG19
08-23-2009, 01:00 PM
I also don't like the warning to not not park your car on the streets by the ballpark because the area is not safe.

I feel like this article was written by a Cubs fan.

SoxGirl4Life
08-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Its stereotypical bs. I'd venture to say, not even written by a Sox fan.

chisoxfanatic
08-23-2009, 01:10 PM
I have a feeling this list was written by a Canadian. Look at how they spelled neighborhood! They used the unnecessary "u."

TornLabrum
08-23-2009, 02:37 PM
I have a feeling this list was written by a Canadian. Look at how they spelled neighborhood! They used the unnecessary "u."

Or by a Cubs fan trying to be pretentious.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-23-2009, 03:38 PM
That was pretty stupid. The opening paragraph is insulting enough. Whether you jumped on the bandwagon in 2005, or have begun to embrace the tough play, or something like that....***? Most of us have been fans long before 2005, having embraced the team long before their championship run.

ballgame ovah
08-23-2009, 07:43 PM
This is honestly one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

DSpivack
08-23-2009, 08:34 PM
I also don't like the warning to not not park your car on the streets by the ballpark because the area is not safe.

Its stereotypical bs. I'd venture to say, not even written by a Sox fan.

Well said, more ignorant crap about the neighborhood, and the "rough and tumble team" just reminds of that "Chicago tough" crap.

Also, I spend hardly any time on the south side, and I'm a diehard fan. :tongue:

southside rocks
08-23-2009, 09:16 PM
No offense to the OP but I found the article a complete waste of space.

And US Cellular Field, on 35th St., is Located deep in the South Side?! If that's true, where is my neighborhood of Beverly -- down near Champaign?

The writer of that is absolutely clueless.

OldRomanPizza
08-23-2009, 09:58 PM
That is so bad, its good.

DrCrawdad
08-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Or by a Cubs fan trying to be pretentious.

Trying?

:)

cards press box
08-23-2009, 10:55 PM
No offense to the OP but I found the article a complete waste of space.

And US Cellular Field, on 35th St., is Located deep in the South Side?! If that's true, where is my neighborhood of Beverly -- down near Champaign?

The writer of that is absolutely clueless.

Beverly? What about Hegewisch? Now that really is the far South Side. Following your analogy, if this writer this U.S. Cellular is located on the far South Side, he might place the 10th ward as near Indianapolis. What is the name of South Avenue N is this guy talking about?

One more thing: Step 4 advises attendance at the annual South Side St. Patrick's Day parade. I don't know when this article was written but, as far as I know, the parade was cancelled for 2010.

chisoxfanatic
08-23-2009, 11:53 PM
One more thing: Step 4 advises attendance at the annual South Side St. Patrick's Day parade. I don't know when this article was written but, as far as I know, the parade was cancelled for 2010.
In addition, how does that make you a Sox fan? I know Cubs fans who attend the parade as well. And I never have attended it myself, because I've never cared about it.

Rohan
08-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Who ever wrote this has probably been to one White Sox game. And it was probably against the Cubs at the Cell. And he's definitely a moron.

RadioheadRocks
08-24-2009, 12:56 AM
Been a White Sox fan for nearly 40 years now. I honestly don't think I need some half-baked article to tell me how to be a White Sox fan. :rolleyes:

southside rocks
08-24-2009, 06:33 AM
In addition, how does that make you a Sox fan? I know Cubs fans who attend the parade as well. And I never have attended it myself, because I've never cared about it.

Actually, Beverly will no longer hold the SSI parade -- 2010 or any year -- because too many parade attendees behaved like they were at Wrigley Field: drunkenness and public urination were the order of the day.

If some south suburb wants to re-start the parade, it may make a return, but for now it's a thing of the past and we who live in Beverly are glad of that. It was fun for 25 years, but for about the last 5 years, for that one day of the year, it was like living next door to the Urinal. Ugh.

And it was never a Sox fan thing, to go to the parade. In 42 years as a Sox fan and 40 years living in Beverly, I never heard that connection made.

Railsplitter
08-24-2009, 09:33 AM
I'd beg to differ with Step 6. First of, being at 35th and Shield hardly qualifies as the deep South Side, as there are at least 100 more streets in Chicago bearin ordinal numbers. Second, he deosn't referr to the park as the Cell.

Nellie_Fox
08-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Second, he deosn't referr to the park as the Cell.Neither do I.